• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Planes?

Postal68

Registered
I didn't know which forum to put this in but I have seen talk about films before on here. Anyway, I must have been in a cocoon because I just saw the trailer for Disney's Planes for the first time.

My god this looks likes a gigantic piece of crap. It looks like one of those horrible direct to DVD garbage sequels that Disney was releasing every other month a few years ago. Is there anyone that has any interest in seeing this? I am a pixar/Disney film fan but I am not even going to bother renting or buying the Blu-ray for this one let alone pay to see it in a theater.

I didn't know which forum to put this in but I have seen talk about films before on here. Anyway, I must have been in a cocoon because I just saw the trailer for Disney's Planes for the first time.

My god this looks likes a gigantic piece of crap. It looks like one of those horrible direct to DVD garbage sequels that Disney was releasing every other month a few years ago. Is there anyone that has any interest in seeing this? I am a pixar/Disney film fan but I am not even going to bother renting or buying the Blu-ray for this one let alone pay to see it in a theater.

When it was originally announced Pixar was going to head this movie. Pixar then dropped the movie and disney it self picked it up. Disney said it was going to be a DVD only release then they come out and changed that, they were going to put it in the theaters. I liked cars and cars 2 and I understand this is the world above cars. I would not pay to go see it in the theaters but when its out i would probably rent it on demand or something just to see how it is. Trailers sometimes don't give you that feel of the movie so maybe thats just the problem. I don't know wait for the box office I guess.

I'll be there with my kids, not likely this weekend as we've got tons of plans already, but probably next weekend. The people who have actually seen the movie at the premiere have said its pretty good, but feel free to bash it without seeing it.

What about it makes it look like a gigantic piece of crap? The animation looks very good/detailed, and there is a feel-good/underdog story. Looks like a good build-out of the Cars world.

Let me start by saying I am one of very few people in the world who was fortunate enough to be at the VIP London Screening of Planes a couple of weeks ago. It is true that the original plan for the movie was a straight to DVD release and that has put some people off, but it honestly needed to go to the cinema too. It is much better than I thought it would be.

I can't "review" the movie yet because it is currently legally restricted. What I will say is if you liked Cars and Cars 2, you will enjoy Planes. It isn't a 2nd rate straight to dvd type movie but I'm not going to say it's the best Disney movie ever made either. It's a good fun movie and I'd definitely recommend seeing the 3D version when it hits the screens.

You based this all on a trailer?

I thought is was pretty good! Most definitely taking the grandkids to see it! In fact they are looking forward to it!

AKK

It looks pretty bad...but I'm into it anyway and we'll go see it.

If only for the Anthony Edwards/Val Kilmer voice characters... (Guess Tom was busy making M:I 37?)

I guess it's gonna depend alot on the jokes and fun... The story is simple and rehashed... It's basically a combo of Cars and Cars 2

I thought Cars was better than people gave it credit for and Cars 2 was steaming in the pasture...so I guess it's relative

I always keep in mind that Toy Story 2 was going to be direct to video once upon a time as well.

It looks pretty bad...but I'm into it anyway and we'll go see it.

If only for the Anthony Edwards/Val Kilmer voice characters... (Guess Tom was busy making M:I 37?)

I guess it's gonna depend alot on the jokes and fun... The story is simple and rehashed... It's basically a combo of Cars and Cars 2

I thought Cars was better than people gave it credit for and Cars 2 was steaming in the pasture...so I guess it's relative

I never saw the problem with Cars 2. I thought it was enjoyable and my kids both liked it a lot. I think the original Cars was really good, with outstanding visuals, a good message, and diverse characters.

I'm actually excited to see it...as were all the other folks at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot last week. They were snapping up the "Planes" merchandise like crazy. I myself was guilty of making said purchases! Bought several items for my Godson who loves planes.

When you exited Soarin one day last week you got a "Planes" pin, so the hype is there.

My 2 year old loves Cars, Cars 2, and everything about air planes. On top of that, my 1 year old is just getting into Cars, so needless to say we are thrilled about this movie and can't wait to see it.

However we'll wait until it hits DVD, I'm not ready to take a 2 year old and 1 year old to the movies..yet.

I am not cutting Disney/Pixar slack, and I hated Cars, but it lloks better than the snail/indy thing that I saw commercials for a couple of weeks ago.

I am not cutting Disney/Pixar slack, and I hated Cars, but it lloks better than the snail/indy thing that I saw commercials for a couple of weeks ago.

I'm really trying not to judge a book by it's cover, but I have to agree on this one. I just don't get it.

My family may be in the minority but we will be at the movies this weekend to see it. It has been on our calendar since we found out about it and we already bought our tickets. My DS(3) LOVES airplanes so this is perfect for him. He is so excited and already owns a few PLANES t-shirts. I'm sure his collection will only grow (he's having an airplane party for his birthday in a few weeks). Yay for more stuff for boys :cheer2:

My DD wants to go see it so we will head to the movies when time allows. I liked Cars, they liked Cars2 (i thought it was a little slow). I'm sure it will be good for the target audience, which is families with younger children.

I'll reserve judgement, but pretty sure $15 to see it in 3D is not in the cards.

My god this looks likes a gigantic piece of crap. It looks like one of those horrible direct to DVD garbage sequels that Disney was releasing every other month a few years ago.

"Planes" is not from Pixar. It's not even from the feature film division of Walt Disney Animation Studios.

"Planes" is from DisneyToon Studios, the division that primarily makes direct-to-video products.

Fast Company had an interesting piece about how "Planes" was originally going to be direct-to-video. See HOW DISNEY MADE "PLANES" FLY at http://www.fastcompany.com/3015124/how-disney-made-planes-fly

Here's how the article begins:

On August 9th, the Walt Disney Co. is releasing its next animated feature: Planes. Originally envisioned as a direct-to-DVD spin-off of Cars, the wildly successful Pixar franchise, Planes was never meant to be as a big summer movie.

But during production, a funny thing happened. Test audiences not only liked it, they really, really liked it.​

"Planes" is not from Pixar. It's not even from the feature film division of Walt Disney Animation Studios.

"Planes" is from DisneyToon Studios, the division that primarily makes direct-to-video products.

Fast Company had an interesting piece about how "Planes" was originally going to be direct-to-video. See HOW DISNEY MADE "PLANES" FLY at http://www.fastcompany.com/3015124/how-disney-made-planes-fly

Here's how the article begins:

On August 9th, the Walt Disney Co. is releasing its next animated feature: Planes. Originally envisioned as a direct-to-DVD spin-off of Cars, the wildly successful Pixar franchise, Planes was never meant to be as a big summer movie.

But during production, a funny thing happened. Test audiences not only liked it, they really, really liked it.​

Well maybe it will be better than I think, but these posts confirmed my "Direct to DVD" perspective of it. I smell another Disney flop.

We'll be going. Like hundreds of other parents of preschool boys, the countdown has been on since they saw the trailer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter