Planes, Trains & Antitussives, Alaksan Wonder Cruise - All done! Complete 11/21

What a neat surprise in the room! Love that and how thoughtful. Your big verandah rocks! :woohoo:

I am sorry Fran wasn't feeling well. It's never fun to be sick on a trip. :(

What a nice sailaway surprise!

Glad boarding went smoothly. The food looks great as usual.

Nice sailaway pics! I have been on a few cruises where they go under bridges like that (from NYC and Philly), it is so weird, it almost feels like there is no way you will make it under the bridge but of course you will.

That's a bummer!

But so far I've got the weekend off!

Its been in the 90s for the last week, and I'm really missing my pool. It certainly would be warm even without the heater.

Our heater hasn't been on for quite a while and the pool's sitting at 90.

Strangely enough I don't think there were any spontaneous combustions. :scratchin

Probably suppressed by the government to avoid mass hysteria.

The next morning I woke up at 5:30AM for um, well you know personal reasons.

Banking? Personal banking?

There it is!!!

The dude in the pool is not looking.

Then she turned around to dock. I could see our stateroom!

Cool!

And then I realized that I was probably getting a little excessive and over excited.

Nah. Quite literally, your ship has just come in.

I didn’t lie on the Health Questionnaire, they said ”Have you had a Fever AND one of the following…” Neither of us had a fever so I could answer the questions honestly!

It's all in the phrasing.
Not your fault if they don't know the difference between 'and' and 'or'.

Fran and I had boarding group 3, and my parents had 5! For first time cruisers that’s pretty good!

Oh? What would be typical?

Their PAT was supposed to be 11:30AM.

PAT?

Fran wasn’t nearly loaded up like a pack mule as before.

::yes:: She looks a little lighter there.

I got in line for a pic with Mickey, when I reached the front, a CM came over and said, “We have the family of the day here.” And she put them in front of me. Just then Minnie came out so they got a two mouse picture.

Then they switched out for Minnie. Oh Well, she’s cool too.

Hmmm... Did they not think that perhaps someone would prefer Mickey to Minnie?

Super cute pic of you guys, though!

Just a reminder for anyone who isn’t sure, I thought I would include this visual representation of where we are going.

Thanks! I had no idea, really.

Whatever rest that Fran had got the night before was starting to wear off. She was coughing steadily and sucking on cough drops repeatedly.

Aww... Poor Fran.

And she was starting to get cranky.

Poor Alison.

I rarely say this.
"Ma'am. There's a noodle on your bun."

When I walked into the room I had no idea what was going on! What was all this stuff?

I would've been wondering if I was in the right cabin!

A very sweet DISer had arranged for a Bon Voyage package in the room!

Nice! What a thoughtful gesture!

I put Fran to bed. One of the things that I have neglected to explain here, is that she takes a very powerful drug for her RA. The drug works by suppressing her immune system, as the gist of RA is that the body’s immune system is attacking the joints, thus causing the pain. At the first sign of sickness, she stopped taking the RA drugs. It takes about 2 days for this particular drug to leave the system, so by this day (Monday), not only was she having symptoms of the cough, but her RA drugs had worn off and she was very stiff and having trouble moving.

Oh, man. That doesn't sound like fun at all.
Give her a hug for me, okay?

Once I knew that she was comfortable, I took my parents on a nickel tour of the ship.

Oh, and if I ever do go on a Disney cruise, you have to be there to give me a tour, too.

Good size group!

We ended up at the spa. Mom got roped into the raffle, as we got there just before 3PM. So we filled out tickets and went to listen for the winners. We sat through 15 minutes of commercials while they only gave out 1 prize so we took off before they got to the big winners.

Ugh. I never join/sign up for those things.
It's never worth the effort.

Hristo saw us and came over to say “Hello” he was very excited to see us.

Nice!

Beautiful shot.

Oh poor Fran, such a crummy start to the cruise :guilty:

I'm not sure if it's worse to start the cruise feeling bad or end it. Done both now.

I have to say, what a great room! Love that verandah!! How sweet that someone bought you the bon voyage package!!:flower:

That is one of favorite rooms, but I have to say that the room one floor below is even nicer!

I remember sailing under the Lions Gate bridge when we took the repo cruise to San Diego last September, such a surreal moment. I've been under it several times on *muchsmaller* boats :rotfl2:but to sail under on the Wonder.....:boat: Can't wait to do it on our Alaskan cruise in 2017.

I remember it vividly from our last Alaska cruise. We were up on deck and that Chevron Station out there cracked me up!

Crossing my fingers that things start to improve quite quickly for Fran!

Unfortunately nothing happens quickly, but the trip wasn't ruined.

#LotteryIndeed :lmao: :woohoo:

That's possibly your only way out of #pension.

This is about the best thing I have read all day and same! :pixiedust:

Party will be in your gals room!

What a neat surprise in the room! Love that and how thoughtful. Your big verandah rocks! :woohoo:

Wasn't that a sweet and thoughtful surprise? I was blown away!

I am sorry Fran wasn't feeling well. It's never fun to be sick on a trip. :(

Yeah, as we well know.

It's going to be the best girls trip EVER! Heck, I might even let the boys come but they don't get the Suite. :)

Jill in CO

It could practically be a reunion party! :laughing:

What a nice sailaway surprise!

It was! And very tasty too!

Glad boarding went smoothly. The food looks great as usual.

It was good! I'm a little wary of what will happen after the drydock. I like that buffet so much and will hate to see it change.

Nice sailaway pics! I have been on a few cruises where they go under bridges like that (from NYC and Philly), it is so weird, it almost feels like there is no way you will make it under the bridge but of course you will.

I just love sailing underneath bridges, it's so dramatic.

How great the surprise in your room! Some folks are so kind. Poor Fran. Yes it is the devil and the deep blue sea with these auto immune drugs :-(

The lunch looks good. Is that some kind of sticky bun? Yum. I am puzzled why all of the other Disney ships call the buffet Cabanas but The Wonder Parrot Cay?

Nice that you gave your parents the tour. How interesting that Candian alcholol law differs. I love learning things like this, I enjoy that you included it.

How fun to watch the ship come into port. You got some great pictures! I had a little jolt of surprise realizing I'd be sailing in a month on that ship :hyper:

And it's boarding time! The absolute excitement of embarkation day is almost too much!

Glad you were able to change things around with Palo and get your second brunch. We had Hristo on our first dinner at Palo, he was fabulous.

How sweet of your friend to get you a Bon Voyage package. Love the big Mickey decal.

Lunch looked yummy. Could you get a feel of how your parents were thinking about the ship? Were they excited?

The food looks great, and I am sure we could find something in all of that.

So sorry that Fran was feeling bad, i hate to hear that she was off her RA drugs and feeling bad at the same time. Not fun.

What a wonderful surprise to get the Bon Voyage package in your room, that is awesome.
Sail away is so much fun...

We took a cruise out of Texas (I know you have too) and the Texas Laws prevent any alcohol to be sold that was not from Texas or had paid Texas taxes. It was kind of interesting. Limited in what brands were there, but I think everything was covered.

That was so incredibly sweet and generous. I thought for sure your mom did it when I saw the first picture.
Our Castaway Club gifts were on the bed.
What is that with the backpack? Is it a towel? I forgot, are you platinum CC?

I really loved cruising out of the port in Vancouver. I think I'd be happy to cruise in and out all day, lol.

I laid back down in bed and that’s when I realized that any minute the Wonder could come sailing under the Lions Gate Bridge and into the harbor.

I love when this comes together. I hope that I will be able to see our ship come in on our next cruise in November as it looks like that the hotel is very close to the entrance of the port channel.

I love that photo.

Then she turned around to dock. I could see our stateroom!

This is really neat.

Breakfast was included in our cruise package, it wasn’t anything jaw dropping, but it was good and had plenty for everyone to eat.

This looks pretty good to me.

As we were doing the actual check in, I was trying to keep my cough under control as was Fran. I didn’t lie on the Health Questionnaire, they said ”Have you had a Fever AND one of the following…” Neither of us had a fever so I could answer the questions honestly!

I am always worried that this may happen on a cruise.

Between getting KTTW, passing security, declaring wine and passing customs it was 11:15 when we got to the waiting room.

Looks like you made pretty good progress. When we checked in at Vancouver, it felt like we were standing in line for hours.

I got in line for a pic with Mickey, when I reached the front, a CM came over and said, “We have the family of the day here.” And she put them in front of me.

What a shame to come so close and not getting to meet Mickey.

Fran and I had boarding group 3, and my parents had 5!

That is one thing I am not missing since we switched to Royal Caribbean. They still have what they call a check in time, but once you are checked in, you can get straight on the ship. There is no hanging around and no boarding numbers and it seems to work great.

I was able to accomplish everything that I wanted, and I even requested Hristo as our server.

I am glad that everything fell in place.

What a lovely and thoughtful surprise.

Our Castaway Club gifts were on the bed.

They look like really nice gifts. Is this a blanket I spy there?

It takes about 2 days for this particular drug to leave the system, so by this day (Monday), not only was she having symptoms of the cough, but her RA drugs had worn off and she was very stiff and having trouble moving.

That is not what anybody needs at the beginning of a cruise.

I was going to tell them that Radar Trap sold duty free liquor, but then I noticed it had been converted into an Alaska Native type souvenir shop.

That is kind of strange. When we did the Alaska cruise, they had a pretty good selection at Treasure Ketch.

We passed through the Cove Café, and it was very interesting, all the booze was put away. When I asked, the barista told me that it was Canadian Law, and they couldn’t have the bottles out in port.

I never knew this. I thought we had a drink while we were still in port.

I'm not sure if it's worse to start the cruise feeling bad or end it. Done both now.

I have been lucky that I never got sick at the beginning of the cruise, but there have been a few occasions when I was sick by the end of one. I did not mind this as this somehow made getting off easier.

Corinna

Oh wow, how did I get so far behind!!? That was cool watching the ship come into port. I've heard Vancouver is very nice, but very expensive.

You know the ship so well! How many times have you been in this ship? The bon voyage package was such a nice surprise! :)

Love the pictures of your room. I am always interested in the bathrooms too!

Okay so here we go off into the Alaska wilderness!! Thanks for including the map, you don't get very far from shore huh? Must make for interesting scenery. Looking forward to the rest of the cruise. Hope Fran gets to feeling better! :flower3:

Finally able to read your latest Alaskan Cruise trip report. I can’t believe it has been over two weeks since you started but at least I am able to finally read it after being away for two weeks.

Hope you and Fran are doing better.

I never been to Alaska but my dad has been there a lot of time where he has gone fishing.

Stanley Park look so amazing and all of your pictures are very nice and clear.

All of your meals look amazing and good before the cruise.

Those are very nice pics of Wonder from your hotel room. I would do the same thing like you if I was there. There always a lot to do when going on the DCL. I will have to try it one day but I still don’t know which one to try first. It will be fun to read about your experience on Wonder. Very nice pic with Minnie.

Your room look so amazing and the verandah looks amazing. That is so nice that a DIser was able to do a Bon Voyage package for your room.

But so far I've got the weekend off!

Hopefully they haven'tcalled you in yet.

Our heater hasn't been on for quite a while and the pool's sitting at 90.

Has it been like 100° there? Our pool rarely got into the 80's if ever for the past two summers. I hope we get to use it before labor day. At least we won't spend any more money until something happens.

Probably suppressed by the government to avoid mass hysteria.

Not in paparazzi filled LA! Someone wouldn't have "tweeted" a picture!

Banking? Personal banking?

Yeah that's it!

The dude in the pool is not looking.

Well he's an idiot.

Nah. Quite literally, your ship has just come in.

:hyper:

It's all in the phrasing.
Not your fault if they don't know the difference between 'and' and 'or'.

I read that passage over and over just to make sure. It said Fever and any one of the following: cough, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, etc

Oh? What would be typical?

Well, I just figured that they assigned higher boarding numbers to folks who had been on less cruises, but maybe not? :confused3

Port Arrival Time.

::yes:: She looks a little lighter there.

Our suitcases must have been a little heavier.

Hmmm... Did they not think that perhaps someone would prefer Mickey to Minnie?

I guess they couldn't send another Mickey to give that Mickey a break. Might ruin the magic for some.

Super cute pic of you guys, though!

Thanks!

Thanks! I had no idea, really.

Well then I'm glad I included it!

Aww... Poor Fran.

:sad2:

Poor Alison.

:laughing:

I rarely say this.
"Ma'am. There's a noodle on your bun."

I thought the same thing! :rotfl:

I would've been wondering if I was in the right

If we hadn't sailed in that cabin before, I would have been wondering that too!

Nice! What a thoughtful gesture!

::yes::

Oh, man. That doesn't sound like fun at all.
Give her a hug for me, okay?

And we have both finally stopped coughing.

Oh, and if I ever do go on a Disney cruise, you have to be there to give me a tour, too.

Only on the Wonder. It's the only ship I know that well.

Good size group!

On the 2nd of the B2B we had the largest group in a "Disney Cruising FB group" ever.

Ugh. I never join/sign up for those things.
It's never worth the effort.

I usually blow it off, but like I said Mom got sucked in.

Beautiful shot.

Thanks!

Beautiful sail away, that's awful Fran wasn't feeling well.

Thank you. It was a bummer her not feeling well.

Hi Alison,

I'm all caught up after my mini hiatus from the DISWorld. This job is quite stressful and my weekends are all about playing catch up. And do some business-y things I can't do during the week- like mailing EBay sales, ordering stuff, etc...

<sigh> I miss being here everyday.

The room surprises were such a fun added touch to a special day already. How nice! Vancouver looks like such a picturesque city, especially the cityscapes looking back from the ship. Fran is sure having a time of it. Poor thing. To be stiff and sore on top of having her lungs feel like they're on fire is just hard. Looked like a nice, big group of DISers there for you to enjoy company with!

How great the surprise in your room! Some folks are so kind.

It was very sweet, and I unpacked several suitcases yesterday (finally!) And put Captain Mickey up on our family room door!

Poor Fran. Yes it is the devil and the deep blue sea with these auto immune drugs :-(

Yes, at least we are not where we were last summer, having to avoid crowds and confined spaces.

The lunch looks good. Is that some kind of sticky bun?

If you mean the tuna sandwich on my mom's plate, then no. I don't believe this buffet had sticky buns.

I am puzzled why all of the other Disney ships call the buffet Cabanas but The Wonder Parrot Cay?

Actually Parrot Cay would be the equivalent of Enchanted Garden on the bigger ships. Beach Blanket Buffet is the counterpart to Cabanas on the other ships. BBB actually came first so there was no cause to rename it, until this Fall. During the refurb, BBB will get a total makeover and emerge as Cabanas. Also Parrot Cay will cease to exist as it will be replaced by something similar to Tiana's place.

Nice that you gave your parents the tour.

At least I know this ship well enough.

How interesting that Candian alcholol law differs. I love learning things like this, I enjoy that you included it.

Liquor laws in the US also vary state by state. In California you can buy any kind of liquor (beer, wine, spirits) in a grocery store. Some states only sell beer and wine in a grocery store and others you have to buy all liquor at a "package" store. It can be very confusing.

How fun to watch the ship come into port. You got some great pictures! I had a little jolt of surprise realizing I'd be sailing in a month on that ship :hyper:

Lucky! I want to hear ALL about your voyage! Do you go to Galveston or all the way to Florida?

And it's boarding time! The absolute excitement of embarkation day is almost too much!

I know! It is such an exciting feeling! I need to get to work on the old house so we can take another fabulous journey!

Glad you were able to change things around with Palo and get your second brunch. We had Hristo on our first dinner at Palo, he was fabulous.

We love Hristo! And he was as delightful as ever thus cruise.

How sweet of your friend to get you a Bon Voyage package. Love the big Mickey decal.

He is on our family room window now so I see him all the time!

Lunch looked yummy. Could you get a feel of how your parents were thinking about the ship? Were they excited?

My parents are the opposite of your Mom. Nothing gets then excited.

Hopefully they haven'tcalled you in yet.

Have Friday, Saturday and Sunday off.
Well, until I got asked to cover off for training on the Friday. But that's still Saturday and Sunday off! Except it's Saturday and I'm at work... but that's still Sunday off!

Has it been like 100° there? Our pool rarely got into the 80's if ever for the past two summers.

Temps around 70 - 80. But we put the pool blanket on which does two things. 1. Keeps the water from evaporating (saves on refilling) and 2. keeps the heat from escaping.

I hope we get to use it before labor day

Heh. That's probably when I'll be putting ours to sleep for the winter.

Not in paparazzi filled LA! Someone wouldn't have "tweeted" a picture!

The government is deleting them as soon as they're posted.

Yeah that's it!

Knew it!

Well he's an idiot.

He's all wet, all right.

It said Fever and any one of the following: cough, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, etc

Otherwise you'd be check... check... check... check... ?

Well, I just figured that they assigned higher boarding numbers to folks who had been on less cruises, but maybe not? :confused3

Don't ask me!

Port Arrival Time.

Ah.

I guess they couldn't send another Mickey to give that Mickey a break. Might ruin the magic for some.

My eyes! My eyes!!!

I thought the same thing! :rotfl:

:laughing:

And we have both finally stopped coughing.

Good! Finally!

Only on the Wonder. It's the only ship I know that well.

What? That's it, you're off the list!

The food looks great, and I am sure we could find something in all of that.

I'm sure you could and they would probably rustle up something for you from the back if you couldn't.

So sorry that Fran was feeling bad, i hate to hear that she was off her RA drugs and feeling bad at the same time. Not fun.

No, these are the unfun times.

What a wonderful surprise to get the Bon Voyage package in your room, that is awesome.
Sail away is so much fun...

It was nice having other folks to celebrate sail away. Even if she isn't coughing, she always lays down after the muster drill.

We took a cruise out of Texas (I know you have too) and the Texas Laws prevent any alcohol to be sold that was not from Texas or had paid Texas taxes. It was kind of interesting. Limited in what brands were there, but I think everything was covered.

Interesting. I didn't notice any lack of brands on that cruise, but then I drink mostly wine.

That was so incredibly sweet and generous. I thought for sure your mom did it when I saw the first picture.

My mom wouldn't have known the first thing about ordering a surprise package. The folks who sent it are VERY experienced cruisers!

What is that with the backpack? Is it a towel? I forgot, are you platinum CC?

It's a beach towel. We are Gold, two more and we'll be Platinum. And that's sad because then we will have sailed almost all of Disney's US based itineraries.

I really loved cruising out of the port in Vancouver. I think I'd be happy to cruise in and out all day, lol.

It is a beautiful port to sail out of. Not nearly as Industrial as Miami or San Pedro.

I love when this comes together. I hope that I will be able to see our ship come in on our next cruise in November as it looks like that the hotel is very close to the entrance of the port channel.

This was my first time seeing it come in and it was incredibly exciting!

I love that photo.

Thanks!

This looks pretty good to me.

It wasn't Palo, but it did the trick.

I am always worried that this may happen on a cruise.

At least the course of Antibiotics was helping, but that first day we were scared to death!

Looks like you made pretty good progress. When we checked in at Vancouver, it felt like we were standing in line for hours.

You guys got there much later in the day than we did, but at least you didn't have to wait for the luggage to be delivered to the room.

What a shame to come so close and not getting to meet Mickey.

I know. And as I look back, I don't think I got any meets with the main mouse.

That is one thing I am not missing since we switched to Royal Caribbean. They still have what they call a check in time, but once you are checked in, you can get straight on the ship. There is no hanging around and no boarding numbers and it seems to work great.

It seems that with Disney the PAT is more of a guideline than a rule.

I am glad that everything fell in place.

Me too!

What a lovely and thoughtful surprise.

It was!

They look like really nice gifts. Is this a blanket I spy there?

It's a beach towel.

That is not what anybody needs at the beginning of a cruise.

Nope.

That is kind of strange. When we did the Alaska cruise, they had a pretty good selection at Treasure Ketch.

They moved the booze to Treasure Ketch and had the other stuff in Radar Trap. I'm not sure I ever made it in there.

I never knew this. I thought we had a drink while we were still in port.

I think they could serve alcohol, just not have the bottles on display.

I have been lucky that I never got sick at the beginning of the cruise, but there have been a few occasions when I was sick by the end of one. I did not mind this as this somehow made getting off easier.

I can see that, but not if you have three more days to kill!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter