• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Plan of Attack??

shmedly123

Mouseketeer
Ok, So I will be Cali in a couple of weeks and will be spending 2 days commuting to the DLR so what should my plan of attack be for enjoying the longer wait rides with a minimal wait time. I know getting there early is key but then after that what is in your opinion the best plan?

To give you a little background we (me, my wife and 2 daughters 6 & 4) have been to WDW several times and so we have a typical "plan". Not so much a touring plan but more of a good start.

For example, at Epcot we know to get a FP for Soarin and then go ride Test Track to start our day...that good start saves us probably over an hour waiting in line later in the day and from there we just kind of go with the flow. For DHS we know to grab a FP for TSMM then we will head over to ToT and do the child swap. For the MK we typically will get a FP for splash and ride thunder while we are waiting etc...

so what should we be hitting at DLR? Since this is our first trip we definitely want to hit the Matterhorn, Pirates, Indy, SM and all the Fantasyland rides that aren't in fl (Pinocchio, Mr. Toad, Alice etc.) we figure the Fantasyland rides will probably have the shorter lines so they can wait so what should i grab a FP for first and what should we ride first? We also want to ride TSM, Soarin and ToT but if push came to shove if we had to choose we would choose to go on the DL specific attractions over them if we had to.

So experts what do you think? Again we have two mornings there

Ok, So I will be Cali in a couple of weeks and will be spending 2 days commuting to the DLR so what should my plan of attack be for enjoying the longer wait rides with a minimal wait time. I know getting there early is key but then after that what is in your opinion the best plan?

To give you a little background we (me, my wife and 2 daughters 6 & 4) have been to WDW several times and so we have a typical "plan". Not so much a touring plan but more of a good start.

For example, at Epcot we know to get a FP for Soarin and then go ride Test Track to start our day...that good start saves us probably over an hour waiting in line later in the day and from there we just kind of go with the flow. For DHS we know to grab a FP for TSMM then we will head over to ToT and do the child swap. For the MK we typically will get a FP for splash and ride thunder while we are waiting etc...

so what should we be hitting at DLR? Since this is our first trip we definitely want to hit the Matterhorn, Pirates, Indy, SM and all the Fantasyland rides that aren't in fl (Pinocchio, Mr. Toad, Alice etc.) we figure the Fantasyland rides will probably have the shorter lines so they can wait so what should i grab a FP for first and what should we ride first? We also want to ride TSM, Soarin and ToT but if push came to shove if we had to choose we would choose to go on the DL specific attractions over them if we had to.

So experts what do you think? Again we have two mornings there
It depends so much on what your priorities are. Here are some tips on FP at DLR:

"Getting the Most Out of FastPass During High Season" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=885132

"Which Fast Pass First?" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1107718 (see my post #4 in that thread)

"Strategies For Using DL and DCA Opening Time Differences to Collect More Fastpasses"
www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1553197

Normally Fantasyland at DL is a higher priority than at MK because none of the DL rides have FP. You also should figure out which specific days you are going and whether there will be Magic Mornings those days. That might influence your approach.

And finally, you can buy RideMax www.ridemax.com for a like $15 and it will help you get your morning off to a good start.

:wizard:

If at all possible, choose a non-Magic Morning day to do Fantasyland. Otherwise, a bunch of people will have a one hour head start on you. Even if you don't want to do Peter Pan and Dumbo, you'll still want to get there bright and early to do the others. (Pinocchio can wait, but the others will get crazy quickly.)

Matterhorn, Alice, Toad, Casey Jr, Storybook...all great fun for kids who are 4 & 6!

You can send a runner off for FPs as you're working your way through Fantasyland. Must do FPs aren't quite as obvious as WDW...depends on the season, crowd level, and whether or not you're hitting both parks.

Thanks for the tips, i'll read the links...I would say that anything that is not at WDW and PoC are the priorities and since 1 of the mornings will be MM we will try to hit the Fantasyland rides on the other morning. Not much we can do about that since MM will happen 3 of the 4 days we are in town.

It sounds as if you may be going to be at DLR smack dab in the middle of the Halloween season - which adds a new dimension to the 'things to do' list.

Check out our "Halloween at DLR Superthread - Part 2". On the first page you will see a Table of Contents with links to photos of certain things specific to Halloween Time at DLR. Check it out if you can - you may discover a few extra things you want to add to the list of things to see/do (like the Halloween Round-Up and Haunted Mansion Holiday, perhaps). The line for Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy could be horrendous, so get that Fast Pass as soon as you can!! Also, maybe your family would want to attend Mickey's Halloween Party? Anyway, all the info is in the Halloween thread.

I'm not even sure if TSMM will be open yet when you arrive. It was supposed to reopen on October 10 (after being closed for over a month), but I heard that the reopening has been delayed? Not sure when the new reopen date is.

It sounds as if you may be going to be at DLR smack dab in the middle of the Halloween season - which adds a new dimension to the 'things to do' list.

Check out our "Halloween at DLR Superthread - Part 2". On the first page you will see a Table of Contents with links to photos of certain things specific to Halloween Time at DLR. Check it out if you can - you may discover a few extra things you want to add to the list of things to see/do (like the Halloween Round-Up and Haunted Mansion Holiday, perhaps). The line for Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy could be horrendous, so get that Fast Pass as soon as you can!! Also, maybe your family would want to attend Mickey's Halloween Party? Anyway, all the info is in the Halloween thread.

I'm not even sure if TSMM will be open yet when you arrive. It was supposed to reopen on October 10 (after being closed for over a month), but I heard that the reopening has been delayed? Not sure when the new reopen date is.

Yeah we were a little bummed at the TSMM delay as we will probably be there on Monday the 18th and Wednesday the 20th. I had read that earlier in the week was better so we were hoping for less crowds. It definitely is a whole different game plan then at WDW. For instance at WDW the HM is an afterthought as you can pretty much ride it anytime of the day during the offseason with rarely more than a 10 min wait.

I know Hydroguy prefers going to during busier times for several good reasons but with a 6&4 yo we really don't mind sacrificing a couple of rides if it means we will be able to breathe a bit since we won't be staying late enough to take advantage of the lesser crowds at night.

We were strongly considering the Halloween Party but the price actually upset me a bit

Ok so I just had a chance to read the links that were posted here and thank you guys for the info, I really appreciate it!

Hydroguy, it sounds like you are like me at the parks, why to go to the parks on marathon weekend when you can run a marathon getting FPs. I'll make sure to wear my running sneakers.

It looks like the best plan for us is to hit the FL attractions while I go back and forth for FPs for SM, Indy, HM and splash. So with that said which FL ride would you typically hit first? Matterhorn?

Ok so I just had a chance to read the links that were posted here and thank you guys for the info, I really appreciate it!

Hydroguy, it sounds like you are like me at the parks, why to go to the parks on marathon weekend when you can run a marathon getting FPs. I'll make sure to wear my running sneakers.

It looks like the best plan for us is to hit the FL attractions while I go back and forth for FPs for SM, Indy, HM and splash. So with that said which FL ride would you typically hit first? Matterhorn?

Peter Pan first, always no exception this will be the busiest Fantasyland ride and busy right from the start.

After that Matterhorn or what ever you'd like. But Finding Nemo will probably be important and have longer lines for the day and no FP.

Notice when you send the runner for FP, they can't just get one and get another as soon as they get to the next attractions FP distribution, you have to wait until the first tickets return window opens or 2 hours after you get the first FP.

Indy and Space will have the biggest waits and the longest wait until the return time. These are the best two to get earliest.

Check out my MM super thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1675403

What's the best "touring plan strategy" for MM/FL?
Assuming you are doing Fantasyland for your MM, in order to have the shortest lines, this strategy is recommended:
(0). Arrive before MM begins and run straight to...
1. Peter Pan (always first!!!)
2. Dumbo
3. Matterhorn/Mr. Toad/Alice
4. Pinocchio/Snow White/Mad Tea Party/King Arthur's Carousel

Peter Pan first, always no exception this will be the busiest Fantasyland ride and busy right from the start.

After that Matterhorn or what ever you'd like. But Finding Nemo will probably be important and have longer lines for the day and no FP.

Thanks for the tip...we'll head straight for Peter Pan and I'll go snag SM FPs then we will hit the Matterhorn and see where we are with the FP return window. I'll go grab Indy FPs while the others wait for Nemo if i am within the timeframe to do so.

Notice when you send the runner for FP, they can't just get one and get another as soon as they get to the next attractions FP distribution, you have to wait until the first tickets return window opens or 2 hours after you get the first FP.

Indy and Space will have the biggest waits and the longest wait until the return time. These are the best two to get earliest.

Yeah the FP rule is the same way at WDW so we are used to it...makes sense. SM then Indy it is as far as FPs go...thanks again

unfortunately we don't have MM tix. That is why I was trying to work out a good strategy on FPS early as I am already going to be an hour behind some people.

unfortunately we don't have MM tix. That is why I was trying to work out a good strategy on FPS early as I am already going to be an hour behind some people.
Whether you do FL during MM or the first hour of regular park hours, the strategy is the same. Follow DLR29's list and you will be good! :)

Like Hydroguy mentioned, it's still a good plan for a non MM day. Plus there's some other stuff in the thread that might be useful for you.

What if I don't have MM. Should I still go to DL on a MM day? Will it be already extremely crowded when I enter?
Definitely start at DL on a MM day even if you don't have MM. Only Fantasyland and some Tomorrowland rides are open, so you can still get an equal rope drop for the Adventureland/Frontierland side of the park. Then later in the day, hop over to DCA if you want. If you are only going for 1 day, try to avoid MM days; however, multiple day visitors should not.

If I don't have MM, how can I use MM for my advantage?
On MM days, DL has specific gates designated for MM and others that say "Entrance". Those who have MM can enter through the MM gates all the way up until official park opening. Those without MM usually line up at the gates marked "Entrance". HOWEVER, if you arrive early enough and wait by the gates marked "MM", oftentimes some of those MM gates will turn into Entrance gates as the time approaches official park opening. If you do it right, when a MM gate turns into an Entrance gate, you can actually be one of the first ones in line at a gate.

Agree with all of the above. (Including the FL order....on MM or on a non-MM the FL order is the same).

With your girl's age I definitely would do Alice either before or directly after the Matterhorn.

But the most important thing is to get there early.....EARLY. (Be at the Security tent at 7:20am for an 8am opening....that way you're near the front at the turnstile). & if you're not one of the first few on Peter Pan, i'd consider skipping it...don't get hung up in a long line there if Alice, Matterhorn & Toady are around the corner with little or no lines.

Have fun at Walt's park. :thumbsup2

Thanks again guys for all the tips I feel like i have a good head start. Now I just have to sit and watch the calendar.

Thanks! This has been really helpful for me too since I'me heading to Dl for the 1st time in 1 week!! I'm SOOOOOO excited! After having been to WDW more than 15 times, I'm really looking forward to seeing as much as I can at DL and DCA!

Jen

Several things that are easy to miss but great fun:

Cal Adventure:
1. Aladdin: This is a live full Broadway musical production. Aladdin and Jasmine fly on the Magic Carpet singing "A Whole New World". You need to get there 30-40 minutes before show time to get a lower level seat.
AladdinFunnya.jpg

2. Turtle Talk with Crush: This is a fun attraction where guests get to meet Crush and talk to him. It runs every 1/2 hour on the 1/2 hour (eg. 1:00, 1:30, 2:00, etc.). There are no lines and you only need to be there 5-10 minutes before the show.

Disneyland
3. Musical Chairs with Alice and the Mad Hatter. This is an unlisted suprise every day at 2:30. Go the the Coke Corner at the end of Main Street on the left. You will find a Piano Player. At 2:30 suddenly without notice Alice and the Mad Hatter appear and organize a game of Musical Chairs. This is full of fun with a lot of jokes and interaction with the characters. Often additional characters are there [Mary Poppins] or show up [Peter Pan- Wendy - Cptn Hook]and join in. They choose 6-8 of the first children to show up. This is 1/2 hour of fun with NO LINES. Just have the kids not be shy and sit down on a chair as soon as they start setting up.

IMG_2573.jpg

thanks for the show tips...I have heard a lot about Aladdin stage show and how it is a must see but I had never heard about the Alice in Wonderland show!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter