Plan of attack for Disney virgins?

Jolimont

Earning My Ears
First time at WDW between Jan 25 and 30, we'll be staying at the Port Orleans (my Disney-nut relative suggested it and from what I've read since that was a good choice.) We have an almost 7yo, hubby loves scary rides, I'm a scardy cat and all of us are excited! I've gotten a lot of advice on the restaurants (first things first!) but I don't know much about the rides. I bet some of you have days all planned out, would you share? I get the impression Animal Kingdom is not well liked on these boards, but another relative (who generally dislikes all things Disney) said it was kinda cool. I also gather that Magic Kingdom is "classic Disney" with Main Street and all that, I look forward to seeing that! A few questions if I may:

1. Is 5 full days enough to see a lot? Will we be able to take it easy some time or are we always going to feel like we're missing important stuff?
2. What rides should we not miss?
3. Do you have a plan of attack for me?

Thanks!

5 days will be plenty to take in a wonderful Disney expierence. To do it all, not a chance. In the last 2 years alone we've been 5 times and still haven't done everything we want to-- guess that's why there's always another trip in the works.

Anyhow, pick out what the top attraction/ride each person wants to see at the parks you'll be visiting. Then make those the first things you do. Don't try to do it all, as you'll miss the magic and feel rushed. Make sure you use FP to your advantage as well as EMH (morning and evening).

As for AK, some love it some hate it. It's all personal feelings. It took several trips for DH & I to discover the charm of this park. Now, I truly love it.

You're going at a good time of year for crowds. My first trip to Disney w/ dh and ds was Easter week, and we didn't have one single PS or plan of attack. It was truly the worst trip ever!!!! We swore we were never going back. However we did, and our second trip was made loaded w/ info. It was that trip that turned us into Disney junkies.

Relax and have a great time!!

Animal Kingdom? It is our favorite, but as stated, you will get lots of opinions on that one.

I would recommend the Unofficial Guide to WDW...especiallly if you like to read (it is BIG), otherwise they have smaller versions, like the Unofficial Guide to WDW with kids. It helped me to plan our itinerary. It also has great descriptions of the rides. If DH likes thrills I would highly recommend the Tower of Terror. The name says it all, doesn't it? :earseek:

Don't hesitate to ask questions here!

Anne

Enjoy your first trip! :Pinkbounc Our DD was 7 the first time we went, and it was a great age. She was young enough to feel the magic, and old enough to be able to walk around and enjoy some things like Epcot, that she would not have otherwise.

One thing I did for her at the time, was to get Birnbaum's WDW for Kids. It does not offer an objective point of view, but was perfect for getting a feel for the rides from a kids point of view. She read it, marked her favorites, and we went from there.

Five days is a good time frame. You are going at a much quieter time than our first (July!), but even with that, you should be able to take some time off to relax in the afternoons. Not sure about the hours at the parks in the evenings, but with a 7 year old, you probably will not be out late anyway!

Things not to miss? Eveyone is different, but we just loved the "3-D" movies that first time. And if your DH loves thrill rides, and you don't, well you're just like us! I will do Space Mountain, BTMRR, TT, and Splash Mountain (in warm weather). I don't do Rockin RC, or ToT, but my family does. I wait, shop, and take pictures of them when they get off. Get some walkie talkies, or coordinate meeting times when through.

Oh, one more thing. Get LOTS of pictures! :wizard:

OK I'll take a shot at answering some of your questions...our last trip was last yr with 4 and 8 yr old DD's....

some advise not going to MK first because once the kids go there other parks will be a let down..I say you have to go to MK first with a kid!!!!

go EARLY...early entry is great as you can walk down Main St with hardly anyone there...great for pictures...look at a map before going and plan your attack based on what rides you want to do first ( they are available on web or in the books suggested)...the only rides I would suggest you think about before getting on would be Space Mountain, BTMR (more of a roller coaster...I remember holding my DD tight!!)and Snow White (I think it is scary!)...have not been to Stich but some are cautious of that...otherwise get on every ride!!! do not miss the parades and fireworks and plan your day around the parades and you PS..get fass passes and try to work your way around the park in an organized manner...also factor in time to track down characters and wait in line for autographs....you should plan 2 days for MK ( we always like to start and end there !)

AK suggest...do not miss Lion King show...tough to be a bug spooked my kids even to this day they refuse to go back there ...he will like dinoland, but it is an early closing park and you could do Illuminations at EPCOT in the evening ...

EPCOT - we stayed at the BC so often walked over in the evening and did a few things rather the the whole park in one day...rides there for you DH, but your 7 yr old probably could skip it ...but my girls actually really like the World Showcase part!!

MGM...not a lot of rides for your son, but some good shows...your DH definately needs to do Rockin' roller coaster and tower of terror and Fantasmic in the evening

also take the boat to DTD for POR for an evening and get dinner there, the ride alone is worth it!

ask if you want more info

I agree with luvstink--please buy the Unofficial Guide. The cost will be well worth it. It will help you understand the rides and will give you a plan of attack. We have been to Disney 4 times in the last 6 years and I still buy it!

Just to add our vote -- we love the Animal Kingdom -- MGM is probably our least favorite park (but we still really enjoy it). FYI- last time we were there our kids were almost 7 and almost 4.

Have a great time!!!

You guys are very very bad, now I've bought TWO books!!! Thanks for the info, feel free to keep it coming!

:jumping4:

You will find that each park has a different feel to it, but that no matter which park you are in, there will be plenty to do.

Here are the things I would advise you on (i.e. my screwups from our first trip).

1. Get to the park early. Since you are staying on property, one park will open even earlier on that day, but most in property people plan to go to that park, so it will get crowded as the day goes on. That being said, eat breakfast either on the go or in your room (some great places to pick up a treat as you walk into the parks or take a pack of breakfast bars, fruit and pop tarts with you and skip breakfast out all together if your family will go for it) and be at the parks when they open.

2. If you have PS Character breakfast reservations, make them either really early (and you will be allowed in the park before it opens) or really late for breakfast (where you get the best character interaction because most people have moved on!).

3. Use Fast Passes. They really do work and the earlier in the day you get them, the less time you will have to wait until your "window" to ride. You get an hour time window to go back and ride the ride, and being there right at the time is great, but if you can, go by and get another fast pass for a different ride BEFORE heading into the first one. That way you always have time ticking on a fast pass in your pocket which will save you SOOOO much line time on the busy days.

4. As others have said, pick your rides that are MUSTS for each park and plan your day accordingly. Not time wise necessairly, but location wise. Know where the rides you want to hit are located so you can get to them all in the least amount of time.

5. Go and see at least one parade while you are there. If your son likes it, go to the others at the other parks! My children love the parades so we take that time while staking out a spot to rest and to have a snack. Also, make sure you have a spot picked out where you will be able to see. When the parade starts, you will be amazed how many people will suddenly appear and will put OUT so that your line of vision down the street is suddenly gone. You will still enjoy what is right in front of you, but part of the charm to me is having a "bigger" view. If you can get yourself on a corner where the parade is coming at you and then turns then you will be in great shape. Or try the trainstation or on the curb in the entrance area (inner circle of the courtyard when you first go under the train station and enter the park - on the curb where the flag pole is) are all places I have had the most luck with my children being able to see.

6. Go and see the evening shows - Wishes, Spectra Magic (which is a light parade at night), Fantasmic and Illuminations. If your son loves fireworks and other special effects, they are all fantastic!!!

7. Most importantly, you won't see it all in 5 days, but you WILL hit all the rides you are interested in. If you get tired, slow down, stroll over to Downtown Disney and shop. Go see a movie. Take your swimming trunks - heated pools are a great way to break up the grind of the parks. Have a Mickeybar (ice cream) and people watch. (ok - I will admit that I am working on this one myself :blush: )

Good luck and if you come up with specific questions, please ask!

I found this info to be the most helpful for trip planning (besides the DIS of course!) http://www.tourguidemike.com

You have to pay to access his info but it is like an online tour book (and costs the same as a guidebook) and Mike runs a VIP tour service (folks pay him and his staff to personally guide them around WDW). He is in the parks often and his advice is up-to-date and fresh. He doesn't have you zig-zagging all over the park like a crazed monkey either. His advice really made the difference in my last trip and I wouldn't want to go to WDW again without using it.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'm compiling them! Tourguidemike sounds interesting. How much can you customize your itinerary? Did you get the impression his suggestions were really customized for you or is he pretty much sending everyone around on the same tour? I guess I'm suspicious because you say he doesn't send you walking in circles, that's a good thing, but how do you do that if you customize every family's tour? Or maybe that's just Scrooge talking...!

Our first trip twp years ago was amazing. Just remember. There is NO way you can see it ALL in one trip. Its just to much to take in. Read your UNofficial guide and BRING IT WITH YOU. Its heavy I know.. but its handy. Has all kinds of maps and up to date info you NEED. here are my top three tips.

1. Unless you and your family eat in a definate set in cement schedule. PS's will only make you stressed. "OMG! We HAVE to be at garden grill in 5 minutes!" squashes the magic when you are all having a great time playing somewhere. Unless there is a certain resturant that you REALLY want to try. and might die without eating there. take it easy. Make one or two PS and play it by ear a little. Unless however you are MORE stressed out at the idea of waiting a while somewhere.. or maybe even snaking some in the parks and then eating somewhere offsite later in the evening.

2. Have a definate plan of attack for each park and stick to it.. but dont set in stone your itinerary. Decide with your family each morning wich park you will see that day according to weather and how everyone feels. EPCOT requires a lot of walking and has a lot of attractions that will still opperate should it rain...however. WS isnt as fun all closed up for the weather. MGM is best enjoyed in nice weather, you wont want to miss Fantasmic and they wont run it if its nasty. Be flexible in your itinerary, but steadfast in the plan of attack for each park.

3. SLOW down. Look at details. Sit and watch the parade and eat ice cream. Watch little girls meet princesses and the look on your sons face as you go over the plume in Splash Mountain. Yes, its an expensive trip. and Yes you want to get your moneys worth. But remember YOU CAN COME BACK!

First, what a great time to go. Should be very low crowds.

AK - We love that park. Do Tarzan Rocks (best show at Disney for us, but we have two teenagers who like the live rock band), Lion King is very good, Dinoland is Disney's version of a carnival in a KMart Parking lot (not to be negative, but that is what it reminds me of), Tough to be a bug 3D movie (can be a slight bit scary for younger ones and ones afraid of spiders and bugs...but very cute and fun....just remember, nothing will hurt you at all), safari ride. The hubby would like the Dinosaur ride but it is very loud, dark and could be to intense for a 7 year old.

MK - everything. Use the fast pass if necessary

EPCOT and MGM - honestly, I would go out and by the Birmbaum book of the Official Guide to Walt DisneyWorld. Very helpful book and very well written.

Eating places...our fav's:

MK - Starlight Cafe, Pecos Bills
EPCOT - The Land character buffet, pastries in France, Fish and Chips in UK, Mexico restaurant, and of course a burger in the American pavilion.
MGM - SCI-FI restaurant (we love this place and the portions are BIG, so maybe splitting a meal is possible...we do and are full), Commisary is good.
AK - We usually just get a hot dog or burger there. Park closes early, so we hit the McDonald's right outside the entrance.

Wilderness Lodge - Whispering Canyon Buffett. This is a must, great food, lots of fun, the servers are a blast (ask for ketchup and also ask what the catch of the day is.....you'll love the responses).

Polynesian Hotel - Ohana's. We ate there for the first time this last trip and will make it an every time stop. Excellant food, great atmosphere, and just a very enjoyable evening. The had coconut raises for the kiddies.

Get the book, write down any and all questions and post it to the board or just email me and I'll be glad to help out as I can.

You'll have a blast. Take tons of pictures. :jumping4:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter