Plan change - tell me about the week after Thanksgiving?

Jaina

Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long, VMK story.
We had been planning a trip the first 3 days after Halloween, but yesterday my husband told me if we're going to go that close to Christmas, he'd rather go when all the decorations are up, and really enjoy the seasonal stuff (since neither of us have ever been at Christmas). Looking at crowd calendars, our "lowest" crowds chance seems like the week after Thanksgiving (thinking Monday-Wednesday). Do you think this is a good idea? Do you think there's a better week? We wouldn't be up to much night entertainment anyway, since our kids normally go to bed at 7-8 pm, (which will be 6-7 pm in CA at that point, haha) We will be traveling with a 10, 8, 6, 2 (nearly 3), and 4-month-old, and plan to prioritize what we want to ride, and spend a lot of time taking it easy and enjoying the decor and atmosphere. I would like to see Paint the Night one night if it's running (I hope!). I've never been in almost-December though and feel unprepared. Thankfully I have plenty of time to do that. We've taken the kids once, but it was late February, and not too packed.

For the last two years I've gone the first weekend in December for Candlelight. I am local but stay over for long weekend. Friday was busier than Thursday last year and Saturday busier than both though I spent most all of Saturday waiting with Disboard friends for CP :)

This afternoon, I just changed my hotel reservations from the first weekend in December to the last few days of November! Mon-checking out Wednesday the 30th. A shorter trip that probably will give up Candlelight unless it is extended this year, I can hope, right? :D I don't want to miss church or church choir stuff. My AP ends Sunday the 4th so not able to go after that. This long post was my way of sharing I'll be there also during that time and wish you and your family a wonderful trip! Christmastime at Disneyland is just wonderful :)

Tuesday-Thursday are typically less busy. With those ages is suggest 4 days unless you've been recently. :)

We will be there the following week (Dec 5-9) with very similar ages! DS8, DS6, DD2, and a 3 month old.

We've been twice during the first week of December, and thought the crowds were very manageable, though we really have nothing to compare it to, since that's the only time we've ever gone. I am curious to see how the crowds this year compare to our previous trips in 2012 and 2013. The Christmas decorations are definitely beautiful!

We typically get there for rope drop, take an afternoon break, and head back for some of the evening entertainment. My kids are usually in bed by 7:30, but with rest/naps in the afternoon, they did well in the evenings on our last trips. They would fall asleep in the stroller on the walk out of the park.

I'm sure I'll need more of a relaxed outlook on what we'll get done this year, but my in-laws will be with to help.

I hope you have a great trip!

You should be good that week-parks will open late-9am usually-and close early-8pm usually-so might be just right for your kids sleep times. There are more people wise to this week now than a few years ago, but crowds should still be pretty light. Nighttime entertainment may be limited so, you might want to actually start on the Sunday or end on the Friday if there is a special parade or something you want to see. If just PTN or WOC, you should be ok going mid week.

There really aren't any "light" times once Christmas decorations go up. It's become the most popular time to go, so even when it should be slow, it isn't. Whether it's mid-November or early December, people are flocking to see Christmas at Disney. If you want light crowds, that first week of November is the best. But if you want decorations, go between Veteran's Day and Christmas vacation time.

Thank you for all the replies! It sounds do-able. That would be awesome if it opened at 9. Much nicer for our early birds than 10 am. I am a rope drop girl. :) I thought of doing 4 days, but I'm worried that we'll get worn out. 3 days seemed just enough last time, though we didn't get to do absolutely everything. We did WoC last time and may not wait for it again this time, but Paint the Night is a priority. Will they have a daytime parade going at that point too maybe?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter