Placeholder versus booking early??

Mousemommy1

DIS Veteran
We are sailing on our 1st Disney Cruise in April 2016. We plan on booking a placeholder cruise before debarking.

Obviously, the 2017 rates are already out and I know the prices only go up after they are first released.

Can you apply the placeholder discount to a cruise that is already booked?

For instance, if I just book a 2017 cruise, can I have the discount applied to that while onboard my 2016 cruise?

I'm just not sure of the best way to go about getting the best price. Hope that all makes sense!!

We are sailing on our 1st Disney Cruise in April 2016. We plan on booking a placeholder cruise before debarking.

Obviously, the 2017 rates are already out and I know the prices only go up after they are first released.

For instance, if I just book a 2017 cruise, can I have the discount applied to that while onboard my 2016 cruise?

I'm just not sure of the best way to go about getting the best price. Hope that all makes sense!!
No, but you'd be in the best position if you go ahead and book now. Then, once onboard, you can "reshop" the cruise. Essentially, you will be cancelling and rebooking. You can't just transfer the OBB to an already existing reservation.

The discount(s) are taken on the prevailing rate at the time you do the onboard booking. Depending on how much the cruise price has risen since your original booking, doing the Onboard booking may or may not save you money.

No, but you'd be in the best position if you go ahead and book now. Then, once onboard, you can "reshop" the cruise. Essentially, you will be cancelling and rebooking. You can't just transfer the OBB to an already existing reservation.

The discount(s) are taken on the prevailing rate at the time you do the onboard booking. Depending on how much the cruise price has risen since your original booking, doing the Onboard booking may or may not save you money.
Ok, great thank you!!

And, am I correct that the placeholder needs to be used within 2 years, or is 18 months?

I just asked my TA the same thing:) you'd think i'd remember since we'll be going on our 5th cruise this January. I ended up booking now and I'll reshop while on board for the discount. Hopefully it doesn't go up much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter