• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Place to stay for a Family of 6

mjfisherdc

Mouseketeer
My cousin really wants to go to Disneyland with her family. I know at WDW there are lots of timeshares to rent. Is this an option at Disneyland? Where do large families stay? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

You might take a look at a couple of the other threads I started recently, as I have a group of six going in July, three adults, three kids, and there were a lot of suggestions.

There are a number of off site hotels that have two or three room suites at decent prices that would sleep six if some are kids and can double up.

(I think if you click on my name, and then follow the various links, it's pretty easy to see topics that I started, and there's a lot of great stuff in there, I think. Very relevant to you... especially if you are planning ahead. With our relatively short notice, a lot of places are fairly booked, like Howard Johnson and Park Vue.)

Embassy Suites has rooms that sleep six. There are two rooms, the bedroom has two queen beds and the couch in the front room sleeps 2. There's also a small refrigerator and a microwave. They serve a great breakfast. It is a little too far to walk to the parks, but it is served by the Anaheim Resort Transportation. These are buses that are dedicated to getting people to and from hotels and the resorts. They run about every 20 to 30 minutes.

We are a family of six. :) We have done the double tree, embassy suites, marriot residents inn.

You could also do Dessert Palms, Sheraton, Ramada Plaza Hotel, Del-Sol Inn, Hilton Suites.

Directly across the street the Best Western Park Place Inn has mini suites that sleep six. You get two queen beds, then a double sized sofa sleeper. I also am pretty sure the Tropicana, Camelot and maybe Desert Inn have suites that will sleep six.

The nice thing about all of the ones I mention is that they are very close and so easily walkable (five minutes tops from the hotel to the turnstiles) and they all have a free continental breakfast.

I hate messing with the ART, and if I had four kids I would hate it even more!

DL does not have the condo and house rental type accomodations that are all over the place at WDW.

We are a family of seven (2 adults and 5 kids) we opted for 2 rooms at the Howard Johnson. After much consideration we wanted to be close to the parks (walking) and we wanted 2 bathrooms--waiting for the older kids to get out of the shower when the little kids need to use the potty does not make for a happy situation!. We are hoping for connecting but it isn't guaranteed. This set up also allows us to have the different age groups (older kids and one parent in one room and the little kids and a parent in another room which will allow the older kids to stay out later at the parks and not disturb the little kids when they come back in the evening). Just a thought.

The Desert Inn and Suites does have a few different suites. Their rates seem very reasonable too. We will be staying there in October, so I don't have personal experience there yet. But when we go to DL all we want is a short walk and clean rooms!

I found some vacation rentals on the west side of Disneyland on this site. The townhomes listed on Walnut Street are relatively near the parking lots and you can catch one of the parking trams to the gates. (I don't own any of these properties fyi)

I haven't stayed at these specific townhomes b/c my DL trips are just with my husband, but I've done vacation rentals before when the whole family travels and they are nice for the space and bathrooms! Might be a nice alternative for anyone considering 2+ hotel rooms for a larger party. :)

Directly across the street the Best Western Park Place Inn has mini suites that sleep six. You get two queen beds, then a double sized sofa sleeper. I also am pretty sure the Tropicana, Camelot and maybe Desert Inn have suites that will sleep six.

The nice thing about all of the ones I mention is that they are very close and so easily walkable (five minutes tops from the hotel to the turnstiles) and they all have a free continental breakfast.

I hate messing with the ART, and if I had four kids I would hate it even more!

DL does not have the condo and house rental type accomodations that are all over the place at WDW.

Our family of 5 stayed in this room and would stay there again. They have upgraded their free breakfast which is a bonus.

I agree, I do not like messing with the ART system and it is so nice to be within walking distance to the parks

Not knowing your cousin's "must-haves" and ages it's hard to say. But it was important for us to have a kitchen and free breakfast so we have stayed multiple times at the the Residence Inn Maingate. It's a bit of a walk but worth it for us cost wise. Hope it all works out! :flower3:

We recently stayed at Castle Inn and Suites. It slept six. What I liked about this hotel is that it had 2 Q beds in one bedroom and 1 K bed in another. I am not a fan of pull out couches and I like to have my own space to relax and get dressed while the kids are in another room, so this is why I chose this hotel. This hotel did not get great reviews from other Disers until recently when another family stayed here prior to us. It is an older hotel, but the floors were clean enough to walk around in bare feet. Housekeeping came every day and replenished towels and cleaned the room, It comes with a microwave, mini fridge and coffee maker. We thought the walk was super easy. This place does need a facelift and I kept thinking of all the great things I would do if I owned it, but it really fit our needs and we would stay here again. There is no free breakfast, but the 7-11 down the street has wonderful honey dipped donuts for 50 cents each. They also had good coffee. The room had a coffee maker but I was not a fan of the powdered creamer. We paid $1048.32 for the week including all taxes and fees.

Here is another thread about this place:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2897069&highlight=castle+inn+and+suites

I have been planning for a trip in Oct/Nov for 6, and while I don't have a specific hotel rec, I have some general tips:
1) Do you care if it's one bathroom or two? Wanting two bathrooms shortens the list of possibilities (which can be a good thing, if it's hard for you to choose!), especially if you do not want to roll the dice on getting adjoining rooms as a way to get two bathrooms.

2) Do you want just more beds to sleep six, or do you really want separate rooms? I have found that some hotels call a room a "suite" if there are more than two beds in it, but it can be just one big room. (See Del Sol and BWPPI.) It is important to us to have a place where we can put the kids to bed in a dark room and shut the door while we watch TV, talk, or computer work in a separate lit room.

3) Book early. Lots of the close places have suites, yes, but often they are only a handful, so availability is severely limited. For example, two weeks ago I found out I can't book Park Vue as I intended for Oct 29-Nov 13 because the suites are all booked at different points, esp Veterans' Day. There are only two of those 3-queen suites and only four of the ones with the kitchenette. In other words, just because a hotel offers suites doesn't mean you can get one, especially if the trip is less than six months away. So, going a bit further away for places that are dedicated to suites like Desert Palms or Residence Inn gives you more options because they have so many more suites.

We just stayed at The Homewood Suites, about a mile from Disneyland, and we loved it!

We had a 2 room suite, with 2 queens, a sofa bed, and kitchenette. I do believe that they have larger suites as well.

We paid a rate of about $100.00/night. Included a daily, free hot b-fast.

M-Th, they also offer a free dinner, along beer and wine

There was a charge for parking, and a small charge for the shuttle that ran every 1/2 hour.

There is a Target right across the street, and several restaurants close by.

The 6 of us have done RI Maingate numerous times, great breakfast,easy walk(for us that is) managers special at night, free grocery shopping, etc.

Jack

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter