Place Holder Booking

xfiles3010

WDW Addict
I purchased purchased place holder on my cruise last week. When am ready to book, can I book reservation online then call customer service to add the place holder discount or do I have to call them directly to make reservation? Trying to lock in fare before they go up. TIA

I purchased purchased place holder on my cruise last week. When am ready to book, can I book reservation online then call customer service to add the place holder discount or do I have to call them directly to make reservation? Trying to lock in fare before they go up. TIA
You must call to use the placeholder, it cannot be done online. I think there were some recent reports of "applying" the placeholder to a reservation made online, but honestly I don't know if technically DCL cancelled/rebooked (so no guarantee the price will stay the same). The placeholder itself has a regular reservation number and the discount is tied to that reservation number. What you can do is call to book a "dummy" cruise with the placeholder, and then you should be able to change that online when the time comes (if you are waiting for an opening day).

You must call to use the placeholder, it cannot be done online. I think there were some recent reports of "applying" the placeholder to a reservation made online, but honestly I don't know if technically DCL cancelled/rebooked (so no guarantee the price will stay the same). The placeholder itself has a regular reservation number and the discount is tied to that reservation number. What you can do is call to book a "dummy" cruise with the placeholder, and then you should be able to change that online when the time comes (if you are waiting for an opening day).
Thank you for the info:thumbsup2

Lanejudy - what's the steps in booking a "dummy" reservation? Does it have to be the same itinerary? I need to get this into place, my early booking window opens Dec 13 less than a week away:confused3

To book a "dummy" reservation, you would call DCL (now, before they get busy with new itinerary reservations) and book a cruise (leaving less than 2 years after you booked the placeholder) using your placeholder. It doesn't matter which cruise, but it should have the same people as the cruise you're hoping to book next week.

Then, when booking for the new itineraties opens, as lanejudy said, you should be able to go online and change your dummy reservation to the new cruise you want.

To book a "dummy" reservation, you would call DCL (now, before they get busy with new itinerary reservations) and book a cruise (leaving less than 2 years after you booked the placeholder) using your placeholder. It doesn't matter which cruise, but it should have the same people as the cruise you're hoping to book next week.

Then, when booking for the new itineraties opens, as lanejudy said, you should be able to go online and change your dummy reservation to the new cruise you want.
Thank you for the info!! My placeholder expires 10/21/2024 so if I book a dummy reservation for Nov 2023 I should be go to go?

You can only change a cruise online if it has no discounts attached to it (no gty, no residents rates, no onboard booking.). In order to change the dummy cruise to one of the new itineraries they will still have to call.

Lanejudy - what's the steps in booking a "dummy" reservation? Does it have to be the same itinerary? I need to get this into place, my early booking window opens Dec 13 less than a week away:confused3
Just book any cruise far enough in the future that it won’t hit the penalty period before you plan to book. I suggest a 3-night as far out as possible for lower deposit.

Someone has to call to book your placeholder. You can transfer your placeholder to a travel agent as long as it's within a short window after purchasing it on the ship. Then you can relax and let your travel agent call. If you're past that window, you'll have to call yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter