Pizza Stone

joha

Mouseketeer
Hi all!

I started making pizza dough, but when I tried using my pizza stone, it got all stuck to the stone.... :sad2:

My stone did not have any instructions, could you guys help. Do I have to "cure" it, or just use oil before baking, pre-heat?

Thanks! :)

I would maybe sprinkle it with something like cornmeal before you put the dough on it. Wouldn't the oil get too hot and make it crack? I have a pizza stone, too and love it!!! I haven't had dough stick to mine, but that's probably b/c I cheat and buy the Pillsbury kind. ;-)

I used to be a Pampered Chef consultant. I have never made my own dough. I use the Pillsbury Pizza dough but I have seasoned my stone by cooking high fat items on it first (i.e. crescent rolls or cookies) or I brush on Crisco oil. Do not place it in the oven with nothing on it and make sure your food fits on it (to little food on a big stone and it will crack). Good luck. :thumbsup2

How long are you heating it for? It sounds as though it might not have been hot enough. Put it in a cold oven ( bottom rack) and set your oven as hot as it will go. 550 is good if your oven will go that hot, and leave it for no less than 30 minuites, 45 is better. Your oven will get up to heat well before the stone will so you have to give the stone a lot of time to get really hot before you put your pizza on it.

Thanks! My stone did not have instructions, so I just didn't know what to do...

:)

No problem. Here's another hint, since I see you live in FL. The bakery section in Publix sells raw pizza dough and it's very good. I always have three or four in the freezer. If I'm making pizza that night I just take it out and leave it in it's plastic bag on the counter and I'm ready to go at dinner time. If I decide last minute to make it I just buy some fresh at the Publix and give it an hour or so at room temp before using it. Works like a charm and saves me the trouble of making the dough myself.

I also buy the pizza dough at Publix. We put our pizza stone on the bottom rack and heat it at 500 for 30 minutes before putting the first pizza in. Also, sprinkle some cornmeal on it before sliding the pizza on. We've never had one stick!

I definately agree with the preheating. One hour is better.

Also another great tip is to form your dough on parchment paper. Place your pizza paper and all on your baking stone. It will not interfere with the baking at all. In fact, the paper helps to wick away moisture as well. However, if you like you can remove it after the pizza sets a few minutes in. I do not bother.

You might want remove any excess edges from the paper. They will get a little scorched, but that is all. Most people do not bother.

Also a really great book is American Pie by Peter Reinhart. Really great dough, sauce, and pizza recipes.
-Becca

Thanks!
I shop at Publix all the time and I have not seen the dough!!! Got to pay closer attention...

Thanks for all the tips :)

Look in the refrigerator case in the bakery section where they have the key lime pies. They usually have it in bags, 1.59 for a pound. One bag usually makes 3 plate sized pizzas or 4 small pizzas.

I love the dough from publix!! I brush my dough with olive oil before adding the pizza sauce. Gives it a great flavor!!

disneyfan'ole said:
I love the dough from publix!! I brush my dough with olive oil before adding the pizza sauce. Gives it a great flavor!!

I do that too, tastes great. Last week we did individual pizzas and people could choose whatever toppings they wanted. My nephews love that. I've got two ovens and two stones so I had a production line going! They're good on the grill too.

I found this online:
Home-made pizza tastes infinitely better when baked on a pizza stone. These terra cotta tiles help keep the bottom crust crisp rather than the soggy crust one gets from a pizza pan. They're available at better cookware stores in a variety of price ranges. The cheap ones work just as well as the more expensive ones, so save your money.

Hint:
With the stone you will also need a paddle to get the pizza to the hot stone and back. Long handled paddles are much easier to use then the more common short handled paddles.

Use:
Place stone in middle of oven and heat to 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Sprinkle stone with corn meal. Sprinkle paddle generously with corn meal and place pizza dough on paddle before adding toppings. Add pizza toppings. Use quick jerking motions to transport pizza from paddle to stone. If you are not careful at this point or you can end up with your pizza at bottom of the oven or on the floor. Use paddle to remove pizza when crust is browned and cheese is bubbly. do not try to remove stone from oven until cool.

Stone Care:
Never use soap on the stone
Never move to a hot surface when stone is cold and vise versa.
Season the stone with olive oil after each cleaning

all good reccomendations. Is it a new stone? it will be more stick-resistant with age. But mmm...send some pizza this way!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter