pixie dust?

disneygirl7825

Earning My Ears
i have read a few threads and heard about it, but i still dont know what it is?

is pixie dust an actually thing at disney?

where CM are "extra nice" that day?:confused3

any help?!

Pixie dust is like Santa Claus. Whether it's real or not is entirely up to you. ;)

As defined in posts here, "pixie dust" is when something happens that you didn't expect to happen. Like if someone hands you FPs to Everest as you're walking into DAK because they can't use them. Or is a CM gives you a free Mickey bar or an extra ride on Space Mountain. Or if someone hands you their leftover snack credits. Things like that.

:earsboy:

lol- it can be a physical thing- i have a glass jar of pixie dust at home i bought at WDW-----sparkly dust!

but really it is just happiness, good thoughts, joy. Many guests are 'sprinkled' with pixie dust by a CM or other guest, meaning they got a little extra magic, whether it was recognition of their birthday, an extra fastpass, or a piece of cake after lunch for their birthday.

It is just a term used for those little extra things that make the vacation more magical.

;)

I've experienced 3 forms of pixie dust. The most common (and it's still not too common) is just those little things others do that seem extra generous - like when someone gives you fastpasses or snack credits. Or someone insists your tired munchkin takes their seat on the bus. Or a CM gives your kid a sticker "just because".

Another form is when a CM is just doing their job - but they seem to take extra special consideration of you. Like when you check in and the CM manages to fill ALL your requests in a room available right NOW. Or if you forgot one of your tickets in the room and Guest Services is able to issue a brand new one when you're at the park gate, and act like it's absolutely no big deal and they do this for everyone every day. Or when a show is full, but the CM lets just your group in at the last minute. In this case, it's not really that you're getting anything extra, but you FEEL special. For me that's pixie dust too.

And that brings me to the rarest form of pixie dust. The shivers. Those moments when the atmosphere and the music and the smell in the air and the people you're with just come together into this huge ball of happiness. I always figure a pixie's nearby when that happens.

Of course, if you need proof, head through Future World at Epcot after dark. The fairies always sprinkle some glowing dust on the walkway as they fly home for the night.

I echo all the above posts but we have some pixie dust from past trips. This Pixie Dust looks like confetti...but it's not. :rotfl: It has the appearance of mickeys, castles or carriages...but it's not. :wizard:

LOL! I was able to experience pixie dust last November for my honeymoon. Upgrade from Coronado to Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Truly magical!:wizard:

One of the highlights for my kids for our last three trips was collecting "Pixie Dust" to take home. (Mickey-mouse confetti sprinkled in MK)

some states have tried to legalize pixie dust but for now you need to have a prescription.

One example of pixie dust that we experienced.

During our last trip, July 2010, we were exploring Rafiki's Planet Watch. We were looking at the animal hospital area and started talking in depth to one of the very sweet CMs standing there who was answering guest questions. We talked for about 10-15 minutes and were then on our way.

About 15 minutes later we were over looking at the wall where you can see the babies on live cameras and the same CM walked over to us and told us she was off duty for the day and asked us if we'd like a backstage tour of the animal hospital! Oh my gosh! We were so thrilled!!! It was a wonderful experience :) :)

She didn't have to do that. She was off duty, it was time for her to go home, and she spent a good 40 minutes taking us around and telling us all about everything. THAT is pixie dust!

oh it does exist :cool1:!!!!!!! I have been sprinkled many times and everytime something cool happens :wizard:

My sons and I were SHOWERED with pixie dust last summer when we were checking into CR.

On the drive to FL (we live a couple of states away), I debated about upgrading to a tower room (I had booked garden wing, which already was a big budget stretch--previous visits had always been at Pop, which I love, but didn't think I could handle with 2 young children and a double stroller). Anyway, as we pulled into town, I finally decided to spend the extra $$ but when I asked if it was possible to change, the CM said there were no more rooms left in the tower. No problem, I said, being here is wonderful no matter what!

She continued processing our check in and said she saw a note that we were there to celebrate a "personal milestone" and asked if I minded her asking what it was.

I told her that it was very simple: we (my then 4 and 6 year old sons and myself) were there to celebrate being a family (I'm starting to cry as I type this) as I had just undergone chemo, surgery, and radiation over the past year and a half and Disney was at the top of all of our lists for things to do when I got better. She excused herself for a moment, and came back with a big smile and informed me that she spoke to her manager and that there was a tower room for us--on club level (and for no additional charge).

I couldn't stop crying at that point as I stumbled for words to tell her how much I appreciated this. On top of the cancer, their father and I had separated just a month before the diagnosis (and I won't go into details because this is a family board, but suffice it say they saw him do things to me that resulted in my calling 911 and running out of the house with my younger child in my arms). To say it had been a difficult and horrendous year and a half is an understatement, and I had been saving as much money as I could dreaming about this trip with my children.

The cast member very discreetly spoke to the concierge staff, who were intent on doing something magical each day for my children. For example, one morning they sent us to Chef Mickey for breakfast (I didn't even know what this was until we arrived) and this was such a special treat! My older son has Asperger's so we enjoyed the characters from a distance (watching them visit other diners' tables). When the concierge heard about this, the next day when we came back to the room, there were autographed photos from their favorite characters. Another night, there were balloon bouquets and stickers for them, and our last night there was a Princess and the Frog DVD to take home. And with the money that I saved in meals, I was able to splurge a little and buy things like stuffed animals at AK and those whirly light toys at MK (the cast member who checked us in, Lisa, explained the amenities and explicitly encouraged me to have us eat breakfast and light dinner and to take waters and juices into the parks with us instead of spending so much money on food).

I am still overwhelmed with gratitude for Lisa who for whatever reason decided to ask what we were celebrating (and all the concierge staff who really went above and beyond to make this a magical experience for my children). I really was so happy just to be there that not being able to switch to a tower room was not a big deal. But Lisa and the others sure did turn it into one and I cannot wait to see her this summer when we return. I ended up having more chemo over the winter but am in remission and have been saving $ for another trip this summer. We'll be back at CR (was debating AKL, but ended up booking garden wing CR) because as much as trying other resorts is appealing, I think that CR is our Disney "home". Oh, and I started a special Disney journal for the children so that when they are older they will understand just how special this trip was. Truly, it was the trip of a lifetime.

I had debated for a very long time whether to post this, I guess because I was afraid that this might set people up for expectations. But what happened to us is such a good example of pixie dust that I thought it was finally time to share this. And, thinking about it tonight, I believe that a fundamental property of pixie dust is that it is magic that is completely, utterly unexpected. Oh, and it is very, very real :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter