Pixie dust is alive and well at OKW

dianeschlicht

<font color=blue>DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Hon
We haven't stayed at OKW for nearly 2 years, but the Gods must have been smiling on me this trip, because I got my request of building 45 or 46!!! We are in a 1 bedroom and 45, and loving the canal view again.

Things are fine in our unit with the exception of the vinyl "wood" floors. Our sox and feet were getting black walking around in the living room. When I went to get the steam cleaner to clean them, I found it didn't have the pad on it, so it was rendered useless. Instead I took one of the bath mats and washed the floor with that. The mat was completely black when I got done! I did take a picture of it with my cell phone, and I intend to send it to Member satisfaction. Housekeeping definitely has gone downhill at all DVC locations in the past few years over what we had back in the beginning, but for the most part, everything else was fine. LOVE this canal view though!:thumbsup2

I would call the housekeeping manager and have them come look at the bath mat and have them clean them one day while you are out. That is ridiculous they are that dirty.

Where is there a steam cleaner?

I would call the housekeeping manager and have them come look at the bath mat and have them clean them one day while you are out. That is ridiculous they are that dirty.

Where is there a steam cleaner?
I would have done that, Sammie, but I already cleaned it to MY satisfaction and took pictures of the evidence mostly because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of having them come and do another half-A_ _ _d job. Besides, now I KNOW it's clean. Everything else was satisfactory...just the floor issue.

Oh goodness! We booked a long weekend last minute at SSR last April in a studio and I was absolutely floored by how filthy our room was. The sliding glass door to the 1st floor balcony did not close or lock, the bathroom door literally had a brown smear across the inside by the toilet, I set the towel down after a shower and it turned completely black. I set a towel down in front of the fridge and the towel then turned yellow. There was plastic wrappers and straw wrappers IN the wastebasket and under the little table and chairs. I have never seen anything like that. I felt bad complaining but it was so disappointing. Well we called the management and ended up getting a free upgrade to a 1 bedroom villa right by the bus stop. That made our trip it was like night and day. It made me sad though because it seemed like they just didnt care about the studios or the people who stayed in them. We always stay in a 1 bedroom but were just trying to be resourceful. Never again :sad:

I assure you, it isn't just an issue with Studios.

The are issues in all rooms, all sizes, all resort.

It isn't JUST an issue with studios.

I have actually found the studios that I have stayed in cleaner than several 1BR units.

We had a 1 BR once that we weren't even sure the linens had been changed.
The trash had not been emptied, there was soap in the shower from the previous guest, so you know the soap dish hadn't been wiped out, the carpet in the entry way was SOAKING wet - I knew the AC had frozen over and was defrosting, but they told me they had just cleaned the carpets in that unit... I know that wasn't true, because the carpet had standing water on it! We were up till 1AM waiting on them to fix the unit that night! It was a PAIN!

We haven't stayed at OKW for nearly 2 years, but the Gods must have been smiling on me this trip, because I got my request of building 45 or 46!!! We are in a 1 bedroom and 45, and loving the canal view again.

Things are fine in our unit with the exception of the vinyl "wood" floors. Our sox and feet were getting black walking around in the living room. When I went to get the steam cleaner to clean them, I found it didn't have the pad on it, so it was rendered useless. Instead I took one of the bath mats and washed the floor with that. The mat was completely black when I got done! I did take a picture of it with my cell phone, and I intend to send it to Member satisfaction. Housekeeping definitely has gone downhill at all DVC locations in the past few years over what we had back in the beginning, but for the most part, everything else was fine. LOVE this canal view though!:thumbsup2

I've been hearing from you how lovely building 45 and 46 are. You've got me intrigued! So some year, hopefully we'll get to try to get one of those buildings-I just promise not to ask for them when I know you're there!

Oh goodness! We booked a long weekend last minute at SSR last April in a studio and I was absolutely floored by how filthy our room was. The sliding glass door to the 1st floor balcony did not close or lock, the bathroom door literally had a brown smear across the inside by the toilet, I set the towel down after a shower and it turned completely black. I set a towel down in front of the fridge and the towel then turned yellow. There was plastic wrappers and straw wrappers IN the wastebasket and under the little table and chairs. I have never seen anything like that. I felt bad complaining but it was so disappointing. Well we called the management and ended up getting a free upgrade to a 1 bedroom villa right by the bus stop. That made our trip it was like night and day. It made me sad though because it seemed like they just didnt care about the studios or the people who stayed in them. We always stay in a 1 bedroom but were just trying to be resourceful. Never again :sad:

We regularly stay in studios and never have any problems. I wouldn't let one negative experience in a studio put you off of them forever. We have had many, many great stays in them.

Glad to hear your request was honored. Enjoy your stay. If you have a chance, would you mind posting a pic of the main pool with the bridge removed. Also, is the Gurgling Suitcase and Goods To Go renovation completed? I didn't know you could grab a steam cleaner from housekeeping. Thanks. Have fun!

mind posting a pic of the main pool with the bridge removed. Also, is the Gurgling Suitcase and Goods To Go renovation completed?

We just returned from OKW on the 21st. Don't have a picture of the pool without the bridge but the pool looks and feels MUCH bigger. All the renovations are done.

We just returned from OKW on the 21st. Don't have a picture of the pool without the bridge but the pool looks and feels MUCH bigger. All the renovations are done.

We were there the last week in March. Agree that with the bridge gone the pool feels larger. Gurgling Suitcase was not done, but the bartender told us it should be finished soon.

We're going to OKW for the weekend tomorrow. It's our home resort but we haven't stayed there for two years so we're excited to be going "home." We have a studio reserved, I'll report back if we have any issues. I'm excited to be seeing Herman's Hermits in concert at Epcot - I had a big crush on Peter Noone when I was a teenager (long ago).

That sounds so fun! We also love OKW it has always been our home resort and truly feels like I'm going back home again. We will be there in May in a GV with our whole family for a family reunion

:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

Those are all 16 of us dancing on down the Florida from the Northeast ;)

OP, my sister stayed with my folks years ago in a 2br at OKW and had the exact same experience with the carpeted floor they had at the time. She called the front desk and had them steam clean the villa.

But with the laminate floors, there is even less excuse. They should be damp mopped each time between stays.

We were there for the first time in 4 years and stayed in building 15 the first of this month. I thought the resort was in excellent condition. GS (bar) was not ready but we enjoyed the outside area they had set-up outside of Olivia's. We were happy they were policing the pool chair towel reservation system and did not have a problem getting chairs at the pool. Never had to wait too long for a bus or a boat to DTD (or D. Springs? when does name change?).

Although our GV was clean, our floors were also dirty (we also used sock test). The AC was not working properly in the Master BR and we had maintenance come and fix. He said that our building was slated for a refurb very soon.

It is funny how we want the rooms to be perfectly clean but when your arrive around 12:30 and you have a lot of luggage and food, you want them to hurry up and get the room ready so you can move in. :)

Here is Building 46, taken just after dawn, from across the canal on the DD walkway. Building 45, where Diane is staying, is on the right side this building also on the canal. Buildings 55/56 are to the left of this photo.

9488WDWJan03_007.jpg

We enjoyed our stay this past weekend at OKW. We were in a studio in building 14, across from the Hospitality House. There were no cleanliness or maintenance issues in our studio. It was hot and crowded at the parks and OKW provided a welcome, relaxing retreat after walking at the parks for several hours each day. We used the pool once, and it was nice, clean and large enough to accommodate everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter