Pirates of Carribean out of commision in June?

WDWtinkbell1982

15 WDW trips and counting....
pirate:

I know that POC is undergoing refurbishment, but has anyone heard if there maybe a possibility they may open in June...maybe earlier than expected?

I am really upset they would take one out one of their most popular rides during one of the busiest months. Especially since it is my favorite ride and our trip is June 4-10.

This could be our last trip for a long long time...

:sad2:

They have it closed to include Jack and Barbossa into the ride. The movie opens on July the 7th and that is when the ride is to open back up. Bummer I know because we always ride it when we are there.

Tink is right.

It wont be open until early June.

Also, along with Barbosa and jack, they are changing the ship to teh Black Pearl, and adding new cannon effects and explosion effects.

They are also adding a fog effect in the first scene before the drop, and possibly changing the entire scene.

They are also going to be moving current anamatronics around through the scenes.

Hi everyone, I am a complete greenhorn on message boards. After thirty years of craving a visit to Disneyland, I am taking advantage of an awesome deal and packing up my three girls for the experience of a lifetime. :yay: Our trip is June 28 to July 5; and by reading the messages above it seems to conflict about when the POC ride will be open again. I am praying that it is within the time we are there - we love the movie! Also, where does one look to check if any other rides are out of commission? Thanks much

Is it true they're adding Jack Sparrow and Bardosa to the PoC? I love PoC and I am a fanatic about the classics. I can understand doing some refurbishments to make the ride look a little more updated but do they have to add characters from the movie? I love the movie but I just don't think they need to mess with a Walt Disney classic. Am I just totally crazy or do other people agree? I'm also bummed it closed. I'm going down to WDW at the end of May and really wanted to ride PoC.

ToontownPrincess said:
Is it true they're adding Jack Sparrow and Bardosa to the PoC? I love PoC and I am a fanatic about the classics. I can understand doing some refurbishments to make the ride look a little more updated but do they have to add characters from the movie? I love the movie but I just don't think they need to mess with a Walt Disney classic. Am I just totally crazy or do other people agree? I'm also bummed it closed. I'm going down to WDW at the end of May and really wanted to ride PoC.

I do agree with you in part, but here's the thing.

Firstly, the changes are, even with as much as you are hearing, subtle compared to what they "could" do.

The Imagineers in the Official Disney podcast did say that they were taking the history into account.

What they are doing is referred to in the Imagineering language as "Plussing" the attraction. They are not "changing" but rather "plussing" it.

We have to realize that the technology DOES in fact need updating. They will be facing this task.

Also they wanted to keep the attraction but make it more of a story, so the fog effect and things like that will be VERY nice.

I agree with you, except I think they are keeping the history of it.

The only things they are changing are the exterior (which has nothing to do with Walt's real vision), the ship, which will stay the same with slight changes and will be called the Black Pearl. The fog effect, which is not taking away but adding, and the added pirates. So "plussing" by Imagineers means they are not removing things but adding things and making current things better.

I think the Imagineers have followed the vision incredibly.

By the way.................Iger has mentioned that he is going to want to see more movie/attraction relations in the future.

We are going to WDW May 14-20 and were TOTALLY bummed to hear that POC is closed for refurb. What's worse, is that we heard they reopened it for like 2 weeks in April, but shut it down again on the 20th I think....and even worse than THAT is we decided that this was going to be our last vacation for a while as we want to save up money to buy a house....so we won't even get to see Captain Jack until he's been there for a while! :guilty:

I do not have problem with Disney updating their rides, but they must take in consideration WHEN they update their rides. It is called "peak season" for a reason. I am looking forward to the updates on POC...yes...even though it is a classic!

I am just miffed beyond miffed they are doing this to captialize on their new movie and leaving their guests (who pay good money) out in the cold during peak season. There should be better planning so that guests are not continually ripped-off.

Don't get me wrong, no one loves WDW more than my family, but the continual reduction in services (paying for hopping) and increase in prices (2004 rumors of charging for fast pass) is making it almost impossible to have a decent WDW vacation for us anymore. So we must make every visit count. I say...tell Disney! Call them! I email AND call them. Let them know you are not happy. Maybe someday...they will get the message.

I know this is petty in light of what is happening in the world today...but it is one of my life's little pleasures.

civileng68 said:
I do agree with you in part, but here's the thing.

Firstly, the changes are, even with as much as you are hearing, subtle compared to what they "could" do.

The Imagineers in the Official Disney podcast did say that they were taking the history into account.

What they are doing is referred to in the Imagineering language as "Plussing" the attraction. They are not "changing" but rather "plussing" it.

We have to realize that the technology DOES in fact need updating. They will be facing this task.

Also they wanted to keep the attraction but make it more of a story, so the fog effect and things like that will be VERY nice.

I agree with you, except I think they are keeping the history of it.

The only things they are changing are the exterior (which has nothing to do with Walt's real vision), the ship, which will stay the same with slight changes and will be called the Black Pearl. The fog effect, which is not taking away but adding, and the added pirates. So "plussing" by Imagineers means they are not removing things but adding things and making current things better.

I think the Imagineers have followed the vision incredibly.

By the way.................Iger has mentioned that he is going to want to see more movie/attraction relations in the future.

Yeah it is petty. Some people would be upset no matter what. Just because it's "Peak" doesn't make those customers more important. You'll have Expedition: Everest which wasn't opened last year. Heck Small World was closed over Christmas a few years ago. Oh wait that's a good thing.

Here's hoping they have a soft opening of it 6/7 - 6/14, to gage our reaction to it. I know that's wishful thinking. ;)

I agree - why close it during peak season??? ESPECIALLY since my kids can talk about no other ride after attending the cleverly camoflaged DISNEY COMMERICAL called "The Incredibles on Ice"!!! The ride was featured in the big battle at the end of the show. I haven't figured out how to tell my boys (4 and 7) that it will be closed. I'm hoping that when we get there they will be so excited about all the other rides that they will forget. :sad1: :sad2: :(

We are also missing Star Wars Weekends by 2 DAYS. :sad:

WDWtinkbell1982 said:
I do not have problem with Disney updating their rides, but they must take in consideration WHEN they update their rides. It is called "peak season" for a reason. I am looking forward to the updates on POC...yes...even though it is a classic!

I am just miffed beyond miffed they are doing this to captialize on their new movie and leaving their guests (who pay good money) out in the cold during peak season. There should be better planning so that guests are not continually ripped-off.

Don't get me wrong, no one loves WDW more than my family, but the continual reduction in services (paying for hopping) and increase in prices (2004 rumors of charging for fast pass) is making it almost impossible to have a decent WDW vacation for us anymore. So we must make every visit count. I say...tell Disney! Call them! I email AND call them. Let them know you are not happy. Maybe someday...they will get the message.

I know this is petty in light of what is happening in the world today...but it is one of my life's little pleasures.

If you want to know why they do this, regardless of "peak season" or not, here's your answer:

1) Though we all love the parks, and we go for the fun and family and atmosphere, executives are in business for the money. While they may love their company , they look at it as a business, which it is. Most millionaires dont become millionaires for no reason, and most millionaires are chasing the next million. I know, through business, many people who are millionaires, including my mother-in-law, who is also a large business owner.

Most millionaires are very focused people. They have their minds set on the goal, and nothing will stop them. Tis the case with WDW and the Disney Co. It's a business.

With that said, I go to #2:

Though the parks make money, these movies generate incredibly lucrative money. The following numbers are all the answers you need to answer the question of why they would do this:

Released in US July 9, 2003
Total US Gross $305,411,224
Production Budget $125,000,000
Prints and Advertising Budget $40,000,000
Worldwide Gross $655,011,224
MPAA Rating PG-13 for action/adventure violence
Running Time: 143 minutes

Video Rentals: $20,780,000

DVD Rentals: $42,730,000

Video Sales (to January, 2004): $24,400,000

DVD Sales (to January, 2004): $235,300,000

UK TV Rights (BBC, October 2003): Sold as part of "multi-million-dollar" deal with Buena Vista

US DVD Release: December 2, 2003

Matt said:
Yeah it is petty. Some people would be upset no matter what. Just because it's "Peak" doesn't make those customers more important. You'll have Expedition: Everest which wasn't opened last year. Heck Small World was closed over Christmas a few years ago. Oh wait that's a good thing.

I don't think it's petty. I'm going in peak season and I am paying peak prices, I expect the rides to be open. I don't get a discount like you would for going in off season. I understand that rides have to be rehabbed/refurbished, but it should have been done in September, either last year or this year. There is nothing scheduled for rehab this September. I don't appreciate a PR opportunity taking priority over guest experience. Walt is probalby rolling over in his grave. I remember when they wouldn't even paint a building during the day where guest could see it. It was all done at night.

And guess what, the parks made a lot of money when the service at WDW was much higher than it is now. Before you offer up another marketing lesson, you better go back a few years and take an honest look at Disney movies and what they brought in. Up until the first POC came out, the WDW parks were financing ABC and the movie division of Disney out of it's profits. It has only been in the last year and a half that those parts of Disney have been profitable. That is typical for television and movies. They go in cycles. And it has been the revenue from the parks that have kept Disney going during the down cycles.

So, go ahead and keep your eye on the money. You want to be a millionaire? Go ahead and milk your customer for every last dime and you will become a millionaire. You want to STAY a millinaire? You take care of your customers so that they keep coming back. It cost 10 times more to get a new customer than it does to keep a current customer.

I did not say peak season customers are more important. But you do pay more to stay in the resorts at that time, so you expect to have all the "perks" and attractions available. I can remember they day when they did the "updates" after hours so that NO ONE would be inconvenienced.

Matt said:

I will be wishing with you!

Star Wars Guy said:
Here's hoping they have a soft opening of it 6/7 - 6/14, to gage our reaction to it. I know that's wishful thinking. ;)

Goofy4WDW1964 said:
I don't think it's petty. I'm going in peak season and I am paying peak prices, I expect the rides to be open. I don't get a discount like you would for going in off season. I understand that rides have to be rehabbed/refurbished, but it should have been done in September, either last year or this year. There is nothing scheduled for rehab this September. I don't appreciate a PR opportunity taking priority over guest experience. Walt is probalby rolling over in his grave. I remember when they wouldn't even paint a building during the day where guest could see it. It was all done at night.

And guess what, the parks made a lot of money when the service at WDW was much higher than it is now. Before you offer up another marketing lesson, you better go back a few years and take an honest look at Disney movies and what they brought in. Up until the first POC came out, the WDW parks were financing ABC and the movie division of Disney out of it's profits. It has only been in the last year and a half that those parts of Disney have been profitable. That is typical for television and movies. They go in cycles. And it has been the revenue from the parks that have kept Disney going during the down cycles.

So, go ahead and keep your eye on the money. You want to be a millionaire? Go ahead and milk your customer for every last dime and you will become a millionaire. You want to STAY a millinaire? You take care of your customers so that they keep coming back. It cost 10 times more to get a new customer than it does to keep a current customer.

I think everyone is being a little silly getting so angry over all of this.
If it's that important you should have checked before you booked...
And isnt your trip going to be just as good without it?
And it's a little silly to say you 'dont know how to tell your kids' it wont be open. Just tell them! And then say well at least you get to go to Disney world!!!!!! And look at all these other great things!

I understand being disappointed but being angry is a whole other thing. Especially getting angry at each other.

WDWtinkbell1982 said:
I did not say peak season customers are more important. But you do pay more to stay in the resorts at that time, so you expect to have all the "perks" and attractions available. I can remember they day when they did the "updates" after hours so that NO ONE would be inconvenienced.

They still do updates and attraction work after hours, every single night.

However, they've never done MAJOR refurbs at night only and had the attraction running during the day.

In doing these changes, there's no WAY they'd be able to keep the attraction open.

I DO understand your points on the "Peak" season debate. However, if you go in the "offseason", which I dont think there is anymore, you will still see the perks you get.

the fast-food/counter service restaraunts are open later, and along with various other things, you get to stay in the park about 4 hours later than those in non-peak season.

Also, while you have one main attraction down, sometimes in off-season there are several main attractions down.

:grouphug: OK OK....all I wanted to do is express my dissapointment. What is wrong with letting Disney know what they are doing isn't pleasing their customers? And if you look at my previous posts, there have been more than just closing POC.

Let me just say, not everyone has the luxury of time...to plan or even to be able return to WDW. And with that being said, the opportunity for my family to be able to travel to WDW this year was a last minute opportunity with a very small window of time that we can make the trip. We were rushing to get a resort and planning for a trip that ususally takes us 6+ months to plan for.

So...no, I didn't check to see if POC was going to be open. Silly me. But, I still have the right to be upset especially since this may very well be my last trip with my family. I don't expect anyone to understand what this really means to me, but just be tolerant of other people's feelings because you really have no idea what people are dealing with personally.

:tink: Have a Disney Day!

civileng68 said:
They still do updates and attraction work after hours, every single night.

However, they've never done MAJOR refurbs at night only and had the attraction running during the day.

In doing these changes, there's no WAY they'd be able to keep the attraction open.

I DO understand your points on the "Peak" season debate. However, if you go in the "offseason", which I dont think there is anymore, you will still see the perks you get.

the fast-food/counter service restaraunts are open later, and along with various other things, you get to stay in the park about 4 hours later than those in non-peak season.

Also, while you have one main attraction down, sometimes in off-season there are several main attractions down.

WDWtinkbell1982 said:
:grouphug: OK OK....all I wanted to do is express my dissapointment. What is wrong with letting Disney know what they are doing isn't pleasing their customers? And if you look at my previous posts, there have been more than just closing POC.

Let me just say, not everyone has the luxury of time...to plan or even to be able return to WDW. And with that being said, the opportunity for my family to be able to travel to WDW this year was a last minute opportunity with a very small window of time that we can make the trip. We were rushing to get a resort and planning for a trip that ususally takes us 6+ months to plan for.

So...no, I didn't check to see if POC was going to be open. Silly me. But, I still have the right to be upset especially since this may very well be my last trip with my family. I don't expect anyone to understand what this really means to me, but just be tolerant of other people's feelings because you really have no idea what people are dealing with personally.

:tink: Have a Disney Day!

I think you quoted the wrong person. I never said you couldn't be upset. I just tried to show you the benefits you can still have, so that you may still enjoy your trip.

I used to get upset myself about these things. However, after going many times, I've learned it's part of the process. Many parks in this country are open seasonally. Disney is open 365 days a year and they have no choice but to do this.

Again I will say, you can be upset all you want but, while we fans like to think we are so important, that movie is going to make more money, faster than we fans can dish out, so while you can be upset, to not understand is unreasonable.

I simply wanted to say that you can still have a great time because the parks are open MUCH later during the peak times. And even though other things may close, there are no E-Ticket attractions closed (as far as I know) other than POTC.

I am new to this..have only posted 14 times to your 1,000 and didn't mean to include your quote. The first part was a reply to you, the second was a reply to another post.

Thank you. I will still enjoy my trip. Again, no one loves Disney more than me and my family. Although I appreciate you pointing out all the benefits I still have, I am very aware of them since I have visited 14 times since I was a child. The major reason I am upset is this could be my last trip for reasons I do not wish to share on a message board.

And yes, WDW guests are important....my son is very important....you are very important...because without us...our loyality....our money....would there be movies...or theme parks?

I never said I didn't understand why...I know exactly why they are doing this...as I stated in an early post. I just said I don't agree with it.

So let's just agree that we have opposing views on this and drop it.

civileng68 said:
I think you quoted the wrong person. I never said you couldn't be upset. I just tried to show you the benefits you can still have, so that you may still enjoy your trip.

I used to get upset myself about these things. However, after going many times, I've learned it's part of the process. Mark parks in this country are open seasonally. Disney is open 365 days a year and they have no choice but to do this.

Again I will say, you can be upset all you want but, while we fans like to think we are so important, that movie is going to make more money, faster than we fans can dish out, so while you can be upset, to not understand is unreasonable.

I simply wanted to say that you can still have a great time because the parks are open MUCH later during the peak times. And even though other things may close, there are no E-Ticket attractions closed (as far as I know) other than POTC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter