Pirates, Jedi & Characters, Oh My! (aka... an excess of planning pays off!)

Thanks everyone for joining in. Glad you like it so far!

Photojunkie - I don't know about the BBB but The Pirate's League was a ton of fun - for us as well. All the cast members were in character and the interaction was really great. If your DD doesn't want to do full-out pirate they do have the Mermaid or female pirate versions.

Tuesday, April 24 (Evening): Magic Kingdom
"Wishes really do come true!"

Later, feeling refreshed, we were back at Magic Kingdom for the evening. We first headed straight towards Adventureland to get FASTPASSes for Jungle Cruise however the Dream Along with Mickey stage show was just starting in front of the castle so we stopped to watch the show. It was great!

7133009699_b4f9a454ce.jpg

I should stop here and say a quick word about my camera. It's a Canon SX40 that I picked it up specifically for the trip. It's not a DSLR but is a step up from a simple point & shoot. It has 12 megapixels coupled with a 35x optical zoom (!!!) and has the ability to shoot in automatic as well as full manual. It was the superzoom along with the fact it can shoot high definition video that really sold me on the camera. Just not having to lug around both a camera and camcorder and then switch between them was a huge relief. I was very impressed with the shots I was able to get with it. When we were watching the performance in front of the castle for example we were well back in the crowd but I was able to zoom right in to capture the whole stage or even a single performer. Here are few of those shots to show you what it's capable of. All these were taken hand-held from the same vantage point. I really love this camera!

6986925286_f6bd480851.jpg

6986925486_3c880e4cda.jpg

7138832609_94e6925618.jpg

When the show finished we proceeded to Jungle Cruise to get out FPs as planned and then went to Pecos Bill Tall Tales Cafe for dinner which was pretty good. After our meal it was off to the Tiki Room which was great even though we were singing the song in our heads days later. "in the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room, in the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room…."

7133010301_3b6e791b5b.jpg

Our FPs for Jungle Cruise were now due so we headed there. I don't really remember Jungle Cruise from any of my earlier trips so I was looking forward to it. I have to say I was really disappointed. I'm not sure if it is always like that at night but there was no lights other than what was cast by the boat's spotlight so you couldn't really see much of anything. A number of the animatronics were noticeably not working and our boat captain had had a very long day shall we say. I was really wishing we had gone instead to see the Haunted mansion again. I had wanted so much to see it lit up at night and walk the new cemetery queue but we didn't have time to do both and still see the parade. This was my one big personal disappointment from the trip but again you roll with the changes and go with the flow. There's always next time. :sad1:

Earlier in the day I had scoped out a good spot to watch the parade in Liberty Square but when we got there someone had already taken up position. Not sure what to do now and since the whole area around the castle was filling up fast we decided to head over to the Rose Garden paths to take up our position for Wishes. We got a great spot just down from the Photopass location and we parked the stroller and were able to sit along the cement wall planter with a perfect view of the castle. I went and took some nightime shots of Tomorrowland and the castle. Hindsight being what it is I only now realize that was my big chance to hustle over to the Haunted Mansion by myself and see it at night but I didn't think of it at the time.

7139560291_bbc8a270ae.jpg

7139560215_63ed377fd3.jpg

7139560253_bd85f2919a.jpg

7133009807_7a984a6f40.jpg

6986926078_26e97e4b94.jpg

7133009899_208a65e8d4.jpg

Before too long the parade came along and although not curbside we were able to see it pretty good and I lifted Maggie up on my shoulders. It was nice but I'm glad we were seated where we were as it was more important for us to have a good location for Wishes. Not too much after the parade the Magic, Memories and You show started up and it really was magical to see the castle transformed before our eyes. I tried to spot us in one of the shots but had no luck. As we were off to one side I probably wouldn't have seen even if we had been featured. No biggie. Then, even before we realized it Tinkerbell was flying right over our heads and Wishes started. Originally I had thought just to view the fireworks from the Poly so we didn't have to fight the crowds but seeing them there above us with the castle right in front all lit up I'm so glad we decided to see them this way for the first time. Maggie loves fireworks and the Canada Day displays are always a big hit with her but we had never seen fireworks like this. Just wonderful!

7139560257_4a27da1770.jpg

6986926252_f7997a8ec4.jpg

The crowds, although thick, moved along pretty good and we took our time to do some shopping on Main Street so by the time we hit the Monorail station most of the crush of people had moved on. A short ride and we were home at the Poly ready to hit the hay in preparation for another big day tomorrow - back to Hollywood Studios!

Wednesday, April 25: Hollywood Studios
"May the Force be with you and a solo Tower of Terror"

Just as the previous day was all about pirates today was to be focused on Star Tours and Jedi Training. We got to the park just after they started letting people through the gates and immediately split up - Mum, Sandy & Maggie went off to the Jedi Training signup and I took all their passes and made my way to Toy Story Mania for FASTPASSes. Then I walked back (got lost actually) and met up with them at Star Tours where we rode stand-by with a walk-on. This time we got the Millennium Falcon at the start and then went to Hoth which was the BEST and then back to underwater Naboo (which as much as I hate the prequels and Jar Jar the underwater creatures are pretty cool). Maggie again really liked it. We quickly did the photo op with the speeder bike since there literally wasn't anyone around and I saw from our first day it can get pretty busy. All through the week I never had a problem altering the schedule if it meant we could do something like a photo or character quickly with no waiting rather than later when there would be lines.

6993563578_195ebb3110.jpg

We had some time to kill before our FP return time at Toy Story so we went to the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground as I remember reading it gets hot and crowded later in the day and mornings were best. Maggie had a blast running and sliding and especially liked the large web climber. I went through it with her once and then stayed on the ground taking pictures. :)

7133010419_3735d5e70c.jpg

With our FASTPASSes we walked on at Toy Story Mania - actually got slotted by the cast member into the handicapped cars since there was no one using them at the time. Maggie & I went together against Sandy & Mum. I got the high score of our group but Maggie got a better accuracy rating so there. Like I said before I liked Toy Story Mania but don't really understand the hype surrounding it. I certainly wouldn't kill myself to get there when they used to do the rope drop run. I thought the Buzz Lightyear ride was way better.

By that time it was off to get ready for Jedi Training. It was funny during the quiz they give the kids beforehand to pass the time. Maggie knew most of the answers if they were from the original trilogy but had no clue who Padame, Jango Fett or General Grievous were. I just explained "we don't speak of THOSE movies in our house." LOL! Maggie did great during the training and I think her kung fu experience (she's taken classes 2 nights a week for 3 years now) served her well and when her turn came to fight Lord Vader she attacked with a speed and ferocity few of the boys could match! It was cool that Vader changed the script and referred to her as a girl and the crowd all cheered for her. Another great experience she'll remember for a long time.

6986926680_27dafa2867.jpg

7138848035_8ce6878e11.jpg

7133010667_66032ff616.jpg

7133010837_c4e865c70d.jpg

I was excited to take in Indiana Jones but since the 11:30am show was right about to start I didn't hold out much hope getting a seat. As luck would have it (we were consistently lucky all this week) there was some spots available along the low wall at the back and where we sat was at the top of the stairs off to the right of the centre section which the cast members were keeping clear to bring the audience extras on and off so no one could sit or stand in front of us. Perfect seats with a great view of the show!! Again I was impressed with the power of the zoom lens on my camera and got some great shots as long as the action wasn't moving too fast.

7133011121_9f250acf2f.jpg

We had a quick lunch at Staring Rolls with a nice table in the shade on the patio and then it was off to the Lights, Motors, Action Extreme Stunt Show (1:20pm showtime). We got there in good time and were waiting in the covered part of the queue but 1:20 came and went with no word on the start of the show. There was quite a line-up by then. Finally an announcement came about some sort of delay. Since we were really looking forward to the show we decided to stick it out. It helped that as luck would have it another family with a daughter adopted from China was in line right behind us. The girls struck up an almost instantaneous bond and chattered away and played while we waited. After what seemed like a longer wait than it really was the line started moving and we all filed into the auditorium. We must have been closer to the back of the line than I realized as the show was just about to start and we hadn't made it to our seats yet. As we came up the to the stands a cast member asked us how many in our party and directed us to the reserved front row (I guess with the delay they didn't show up). Again, we scored prime seats just by luck!! Sadly Maggie got separated from her new friend but they had already said their goodbyes in line just in case. It was a great show, although shortened. They cut the part with the motorcycles, jet boats and stuntman catching on fire. They explained that there was a problem setting up for that stunt and maybe there was - everything is so scripted with Disney it's hard to tell if it's genuine or not. Maggie got a huge thrill out of the speeding cars and when Lightning McQueen made his appearance the crowd went wild!

7133011229_55e3beb08a.jpg

Once the throng had filed out of the stadium we went over to Tatoonie Traders where Maggie made her own lightsaber and we got her a Jedi Academy t-shirt. We then made our way towards the Sorcerers' Hat to grab a snack where we discovered the afternoon parade was about to start. Again, in a stoke of luck there was a small opening in the crowd that the cast members were keeping clear but once the parade started we were able to move up with some other families and had curbside viewing of the Pixar Pals parade! We only waited a short while before the parade made its way to our location. It was really great. I had never made plans to actually sit and wait for a parade but if we caught one like this so much the better.

7133011383_81f7d9e1d7.jpg

At this point we decided to again split up but with the family going back to the resort to rest and me to go solo on the Tower of Terror since I was the only one really interested in doing that. Chomping at the bit is more like it but I walked them to the front gate first getting this Photopass shot on Sunset Boulevard on our way.

6986927162_d41ab1f8e2.jpg

Now it was on to Tower of Terror for me. Woo Hoo! After missing out on my nightime visit to the Haunted mansion there was no way I was not going to experience the Tower! I figured even if the stand-by was long I'd just wait it out and take in all there was to see in the queue. As luck would have it it was posted as a 10min. standby but really that was just the time it took to walk the queue. I didn't rush and let some people pass as I stopped to take pictures. The detailing was incredible!! This is the level that I aim for with my home haunt. WOW! Finally I made my way through and down to the elevator. It was awesome! I loved it! After we got off I immediately went around to ride it again. I could have gone on like that for a while but after my 2nd ride I thought I should get back in time to get cleaned up for dinner as we were slated to take in the Spirit of Aloha luau dinner later that night.

6993681402_077e0a1021.jpg

6986927734_c31c010468.jpg

6986927836_45b7f2ca85.jpg

6986927958_d771f33dc0.jpg

I got back to the Poly and after a bit of hunting found the family - in the pool! Big surprise! As an aside here are some random photos of the Poly, our longhouse - Tokelau - and the view from our room (#3905). We really liked this location as it was close to both the Grand Ceremonial House, bus stop and TTC with the quiet pool just steps away. The larger room was great and we wouldn't hesitate requesting this longhouse again. The resort was so peaceful and relaxing after the hustle and bustle of the parks. In fact, like many others, we've been taken in by the aura of the Polynesian and cant't imagine staying anywhere else. Not that we'll be returning any time soon - this was definitely a trip of a lifetime and we're very jealous of those that can return every year or more. Anyhow, it was a beautiful resort and we were so glad we had decided on it - really a vacation within a vacation.

6986928180_2b0bb23231.jpg

7133012141_062c7168ae.jpg

6996788258_f2a2d45edb.jpg

6996788540_83926cdeca.jpg

6996788424_157b7fe858.jpg

7142875669_12c8133fe1.jpg

6996788824_53315d0c90.jpg

6996788904_8cbab05f91.jpg

7142895117_25f0041fff.jpg

For dinner that night we had tickets for the 8:00pm Spirit of Aloha luau show. I was initially concerned that with the later showtime Maggie (or all of us) would be too tired but the later show gave us more time to unwind after our day at the Studios and also the show itself would be so much better at night with the lights and torches. Such a spectacular show! And the food was delicious! I asked for a few more ribs and they brought out a whole new platter - I had a hard time keeping up! Maggie got up on stage (of course!) with all the other kids to hula and she watched the whole thing very intently - I think the dancers were smitten with her and tried to get her on stage several more times. :) . One of her favourite Disney movies is Lilo & Stitch so she was looking forward to the fire juggling like they do in the movie.

7133012423_c517e1152a.jpg

6986928538_aceb9f7d15.jpg

After the show it was time to get one very tired little girl (and the rest of the family who were equally tired!) back to our longhouse and off to bed. Tomorrow would be the first of our 2 days at Disney's Animal Kingdom!

Just wanted to let you know I've been following along and really enjoying your TR! How generous of your parents to want your family to be able to have such a wonderful vacation!

Maggie is a doll - such a great smile, and I love the Jedi pic!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

:wizard:

Just wanted to let you know I've been following along and really enjoying your TR! How generous of your parents to want your family to be able to have such a wonderful vacation!

Maggie is a doll - such a great smile, and I love the Jedi pic!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

:wizard:

Thanks for following along dreamsofdisney! Glad you like it so far.

Maggie was really looking forward to the Jedi Training although I'm surprised she didn't go over to the Dark Side considering her Halloween costume last year! :)

darthvader-1.jpg

darthvader-4.jpg

I'm extremely jealous of your DD. She got to fight Vader AND ride the speeder bike! They really should let adults participate in Jedi Training. :lmao:

And I love her Vader halloween costume! She could have had her own VW commercial!

I'm extremely jealous of your DD. She got to fight Vader AND ride the speeder bike! They really should let adults participate in Jedi Training. :lmao:

And I love her Vader halloween costume! She could have had her own VW commercial!

I know I for one would have LOVED to have been up there with her!! LOL!

Thursday, April 26: Animal Kingdom
"I don't think we're in Florida anymore Toto"

We all love animals and visiting our local zoo so we were all excited about our planned 2 days at Animal Kingdom. I know some people only consider AK an 1 day park at best but from reading all about what there is to see and do we wanted time to savour it. Although we've now had a string of somewhat late nights we're still finding getting up early to get to the parks for rope drop not too bad. Again, what really saved us was the grocery delivery so we could have breakfast in our room while getting ready saved so much time.

I also made it a routine every night before bed to get the park folder ready for the next day. I had brought my main planning binder worth all our info, touring guides, ADRs, robo's maps, etc. but didn't want to carry that around in the backpack all day so I also had a small plastic duo-tang folder that I would transfer only the papers needed for that specific park the next day and then swap them that night for the next day. This way I could have all my info needed for the day close at hand but in an easy to carry format. Worked well and I'd do that again. Speaking of my planning binder I can post some of my planning files if people are interested in another post or as a sort of summary once I'm done. I came up with a chart format, modified from one I found online, that I was able to see the whole week at a glance and keep track of meals, parks, crowd levels, ADRs, priority rides and attractions and any nighttime or special entertainment.

So anyhow, back to our AK day. With breakfast done we headed out to the Poly bus stop but this was actually the first day we had to wait for a bus any length of time. We must have just missed one to AK. In not too long another one came by (about 20mins. after at least 2-3 ones for Hollywood Studios) and we were off. I should mention that anytime we rode a bus or the monorail we were all constantly scanning the golf courses and waterways for any sign of alligators. Over the week I saw 3, my daughter 1 and Sandy 1! My last 2 trips to Florida we always went to Gatorland to see the crocs and gators. From the road it looks pretty tacky with a giant concrete gator head but inside is a pretty cool little breeding farm with shows and walkways. And some of the BIGGEST gators I've ever seen! It would have been nice to have a day off Disney in order to do some outside stuff and show Maggie Gatorland but it will have to wait until next time.

6992770432_fdc538b225.jpg

Arriving at Animal Kingdom (a bit later than I would have liked due to our later start and wait for the bus) we made our through the Oasis to Discovery Island we were instantly captivated by the beauty of the place. Our first sight of the Tree of Life is every bit as magical as the first time you see Cinderella's Castle. It is so majestic and real looking you can't quite believe it's not a living tree. Of course we stopped for the official Photopass pic. We didn't stop for all the Photopass locations in the parks and seemed to miss them altogether in Epcot later on but I did pre-purchase the CD before we left and in the end we had over 250 photos (a lot of those were due to the Photopass photographers present at both the Pirate Tutorial and Jedi Training) which I then added borders to bump the number up to over 350 so it was well worth the cost. Now that The Pirate's League photo package has been added to the new Photopass+ I would get that should we return.

With our Tree of Life photo under our belt it was straight off to Africa for our safari. I wanted to get there as quick as we could and went into "courier-mode" as my wife calls it. I used to work as a walking courier in downtown Toronto way back when and can weave my way through crowds in a hurry if I have to. I had Maggie in the stroller and was making good time while Sandy and my Mum huffed and puffed to keep up! :) When we got to Kilimanjaro Safari it was already posting a 20min. stand-by but we got in line and with so much to look at in the queue the time passed quickly and soon we were in our vehicle and off on safari! We were all seated in the back row of seats which meant we could see what was coming and in behind but since the truck was moving and bumping I still found it very challenging to get good photos at high zoom. I put the camera in Sports mode which set a very fast shutter speed and could keep taking photos every 2 seconds as long as I had the shutter pressed. This way I took a huge number of shots and even with the bumping I managed to get some good ones in the bunch. Here are a selection of the best...

7152332255_83fd0499c2.jpg

7152332265_fa441e34dd.jpg

7152332291_f76cf501db.jpg

7152332299_26091d5b94.jpg

The safari was really great (although the bridge wasn't rocking - I was the only one who noticed). To look at that last photo with the giraffe you'd think you really were in Africa. Afterwards we went straight to the The Pangani Forest Exploration Trail as I had read it can get very crowded later in the day. We really liked the trail and again felt transported to another world. (Note: I just re-read this and other posts and noticed how often I use the word "really". Sorry about that, I'll certainly never be a writer.)

7152332333_d9e6b4a9a0.jpg

7152332341_03e15f0935.jpg

7152354043_c884e756ee.jpg

Once we finished up the trail, hit the bathrooms and a snack it was time for Festival of the Lion KIng but since we had a later start there was no way we could get to the show in time. I did some quick figuring while the family watched a bit of the Street Party in Harambe Village and decided to switch it around to see the Finding Nemo musical in the morning and then Lion King after lunch. No problem. So off we went to find Nemo. We got into the first show of the day and got great seats. Well Maggie thought they were great - she insisted we sit right up front so we did. I would have preferred to be farther back to be able to take it all in but have to admit it was great seeing the performers up close and when the pelican came out he towered above our heads! All in all a great show and we enjoyed it immensely. After watching Festival of the Lion King I actually think I preferred Nemo. I liked the Lion King show but it's the same with why I like Les Miserables over other musical productions - I like the telling of the story more than just a collection of songs and dances however good. That said I would see both again in a heartbeat should we ever (when we) return.

6992769872_748d5b105d.jpg

7138852715_34f3002e09.jpg

After Nemo Maggie caught a glimpse of Dinoland and really wanted to go there. I explained that we were going there on tomorrow's touring plan and today was more for seeing shows than riding rides. She really did want to go so again, after some consultation with my official plans I switched it up so we'd do Dinoland today after lunch and then hit Lion King first thing tomorrow. See, I'm nothing if not flexible! :) With all that decided we headed off to Flame Tree BBQ for lunch. It was still early so we were ahead of the heaviest lunchtime rush and found some nice shady seating in a covered gazebo down by the water. Everyone enjoyed their lunch and felt a bit more refreshed after a cold drink in the shade - the first part of the week it was nice but not too hot (the locals were freezing) but now every day was getting hotter and hotter.

Making our way back to Dinoland we went to go on Primeval Whirl but Maggie came up a few inches too short. I don't remember noticing the height restriction for that before so maybe that's something new? I think I read about a worker actually getting killed on it so maybe they've adjusted the requirements or I just didn't make a note of it. No problem Maggie wanted to go play in the Boneyard so the family headed there while I ran to get FASTPASSes to Dinosaur! When got there the standby line was running at 10mins. so I dashed on to ride solo. Loved it! When I got back to the Boneyard we decided to have some ice cream and cool down while waiting for our FPs to come up. Maggie sort of wanted to go on Dinosaur but after my solo ride I knew it would be too much for her. She's a super intelligent, very aware kid and notices everything more so than other kids and I think the heightened realism of the Disney rides can overwhelm her as she can't distinguish between what's real and what's a performance. That was why she had a problem with The Great Movie Ride back on our first day - she thought the bullets and everything during the gangster fight was real and she could get hurt even though I told her over and over beforehand that everything is make-believe and there is no way you can get hurt. Knowing all this now I didn't think she was ready for Dinosaur so Sandy & I headed out while my Mum and Maggie hung out in Dinoland. Sandy really liked the ride but also thought it would have been too much for Maggie. I saw some really little kids coming off the ride just in hysterics. That's no fun for anyone.

6992770106_8e9975908b.jpg

6992770198_aea1067eb4.jpg

7138853053_26fc49dc3c.jpg

With Dinoland done I thought we should go over and hit the Camp Minnie Mickey character trails now while the Lion King show was going on to avoid the crowds and then exit the park for the day. We timed it just right and there was only 5-6 people in front of us at the various lines. Maggie again loves all the characters and couldn't get enough hugs. She has what she calls her "hug tank" and when it's feeling low she'll come around asking for hugs from Mommy & Daddy to fill up her tank. She certainly topped it off today!! :) The character interactions were great - Donald especially who was not too happy to see Maggie had bought a Safari Mickey doll and wrote "Donald Duck #1" in her autograph book. LOL!

6992771402_7900c76e52.jpg

6992770660_4b7e558a09.jpg

7138853479_9ec3c1316d.jpg

6992770890_a44ed7236d.jpg

After we had seen them all we made our way back to the exit and caught the bus back to the Poly for a short rest. We had tickets that night for the 6:00pm Cirque du Soleil La Nouba in Downtown Disney. We caught a cab both there and back to give us a bit more time getting ready and also as I had read it can be a problem catching a bus back to the resorts from DTD. We were all really looking forward to this show. Sandy & I had bought the tickets for as all as a xmas present not just for ourselves but my mum as well to thank her for such a wonderful trip. We had never seen any of the various Cirque du Soleil shows and weren't sure what to expect. To say we were astounded and totally blown away would be an understatement. Even after all the magical things we had seen and done so far this would still stand out. Simply wonderful. We especially liked the clowns, bicycle riders, singers and of course the 3 young girls with the Chinese yo-yos. The way they bounced off the trampolines to seem like they were climbing the building was incredible - they made it look so easy which of course it most certainly was not!

Next up another great day at the Animal Kingdom!

I totally agree that AK is a 2 day excursion. Although I like separate my days .. But either way .. I like 2 days so I can take time and enjoy everything. We usually do Kilimanjaro and Everest each day we go .. Those are our favorites !

Never did Cirque .. It's just SO pricey !! But glad you enjoyed it. :thumbsup2

I totally agree that AK is a 2 day excursion. Although I like separate my days .. But either way .. I like 2 days so I can take time and enjoy everything. We usually do Kilimanjaro and Everest each day we go .. Those are our favorites !

Never did Cirque .. It's just SO pricey !! But glad you enjoyed it. :thumbsup2

That was one thing I'd do differently next time would be to spread out or 2 day parks so that we'd have at least one day in between the Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom days. Going to the Hollywood Studios for the evening and then again a few days later was nice as it was familiar but still new.

Cirque was expensive no doubt about it but since my parents were paying the bulk of this trip we felt this was our contribution and made it our xmas gifts to ourselves and Mum. Seeing it once was wonderful but I wouldn't feel the need to see it again if we went back.

Friday, April 27: Animal Kingdom
"From Africa to Asia and back again with all stops in between"

Up and ready to go for another early day but this time no breakfast in the room for us - we had an ADR for 7:30am at 'Ohana. Maggie was very much looking forward to this as she loves the Lilo & Stitch movie and she hadn't met Stitch yet. (I know he's ALL over the parks but we had either missed him or I'd avoid him on purpose knowing she would see him at breakfast and we could use the time better.) Passing by the quiet pool enroute to the Grand Ceremonial House Maggie finds a friend going for an early morning swim! He was quite content and would later make a reappearance when Mum & Maggie went to swim after dinner and there were quite a few more people in the pool. Neither people or waterfowl seemed to mind. Not sure about the official Disney policy though. Maybe he didn't get the memo. :)

7164424680_be9462a880.jpg

7164424814_a06e3e56f0.jpg

We checked in at the 'Ohana reception desk and after having our photo taken made our way to our table for breakfast with very little waiting. The meal was delicious and I was sort of sad I didn't make a reservation for dinner at 'Ohana as I've read rave reviews (especially myself being a meat-lover!). Maggie was almost too excited to eat but managed to down a few Mickey waffles and eggs before the characters started coming out. Pluto was up first and he was great - lots of hugs and he signed her book. Then came Lilo. My mum had hand-made a matching Lilo type dress for Maggie based only on pictures - no pattern. She made the leaves by enlarging a photo she found online and then cutting out each and every leaf before applying it to the dress. It matched perfectly and Lilo was very impressed and kept pointing to Maggie and then herself to show they were the same. She also liked Maggie's little stuffed Stitch she had bought with her own money. (I for one was VERY glad she had got the small one as I had seen some huge life-sized Stitches around and was concerned as to how we would ever get him back on the plane!) Stitch himself came next and was also impressed with Maggie's dress. We asked what his badness level was and he indicated very low. I told him it was still early in the morning - he liked that! At that point Mickey was almost to our table but then the parade was to start. Mickey motioned for Maggie to come along and she ran to him and lead the parade around the restaurant. I had a bit of a panic moment when I was watching for them as they came around back to our table and I realized the she was no longer behind Mickey. I scanned the line of kids and was about to go looking when I saw her near the back holding hands and dancing along with Pluto. She must have seen him and doubled back! Crisis averted. After the parade Mickey made sure to come back to our table and get photos. This meal was by far the best for character interaction but I think Maggie being fans of the characters and being dressed up helped a lot in that regard.

6992771128_d4012a759f.jpg

7164424928_e033972494.jpg

7138853945_7db59d4fb0.jpg

7138854045_ae4551b9c6.jpg

7164425126_356cd33a89.jpg

With breakfast over we headed out to the bus stop where we found a bus for Animal Kingdom waiting for us which was a nice change from yesterday. We were off for another great day in the parks! We got to the park earlier than I had thought - just after 9:00am and proceeded to make our way towards Asia and Expedition Everest with the intent on getting FASTPASSes. As we were passing through Discovery Island we saw that Dug & Russell from Up were out greeting people and there was only one family in line. We hopped in and got some great photos. Up is a favourite movie of my father so we would send him the photo later that night. Of course I had to say "SQUIRREL!" to poor Dug who dutifully looked around frantically. It's not like he doesn't hear that a lot every day! Poor guy.

6992771618_8ea7b33d8a.jpg

After the character meet & greet we made our way across the bridge into Asia. Again I was blown away by the detailing Disney puts into every scene. You really do feel transported to another place. Especially in the morning when it's not so crowded. Today the crowd levels were expected to be quite high so I wanted to get everything done and out of the park before it got too crazy.

7164425424_693003d5fa.jpg

7164425724_40c6af3ee2.jpg

7164425862_869d7e7d57.jpg

After securing our FPs for Everest we backtracked across the park to take in the 10:30am show of the Festival of the Lion King. Since we switched things around yesterday we were seeing this today instead of DinoLand. We were all looking forward to the show and it did not disappoint. Maggie was entranced. I loved the big animatronic animals, especially Pumbaa. I took some video but wasn't able to get any good photos so I just gave up and enjoyed the show. Sometimes it's good not to experience everything through a viewfinder.

7164426002_d7e75cd000.jpg

When we got out of the show there was only a small line up for Chip & Dale who we had missed the previous day. I love C & D but wished that they would appear dressed as the Rescue Rangers - that was such a great show!

7164426346_5e9c4282e6.jpg

By this time we were getting close to the end of our FASTPASS window so it was off to Expedition Everest where we were to run into the first real snag in our trip. In all our time at WDW and using numerous FPs every day we never had a problem with the return times on any of our FASTPASSes - with this one exception. We had pulled FPs in the morning for EE but we were a little delayed getting back and it was getting close to the end of the 1 hour window. I was trying to see if Maggie wanted to ride – she really did but was little scared so I didn’t want to push her. In the end she decided not to and to watch with my Mum. No problem except that in talking it over with her we were now over the 1 hour return time (by only 5 min.). OK, we should be alright due to the 15min. grace period. Not so. The cast member at the FP return refused to let us on and when I indicated the grace period printed on the ticket she at first pretended not to know what I was talking about and then called over another CM who said they don’t use that on EE. I was quite ticked off to say the least but no point in arguing further we just ended up pulling new FPs and going for lunch. Overall we loved the FPS and got to ride so much with minimal waits using them but just so people know not to count on the grace period as it seems to be up to the discretion of whoever is manning the gate.

Lunch today was at the Yak & Yeti counter service and as it was right at lunch hour was packed. In fact by now the park on the whole seemed much more crowded than I had expected. There were a lot of cheerleader squads and their families around so with the weekend competition that must have been it. We finally managed to snag a table in the shade as Mum & Sandy went for food. As we weren't on any sort of a schedule now and it was very hot out we ate a leisurely lunch and cooled off.

It was then time for us to go exploring on the Maharajah Jungle Trek. As I said before we were constantly astounded by how detailed and immersive Disney has made all of the parks but we felt it the most in the Animal Kingdom. We loved this park and will make it a priority for when we return. There were so many areas we had to skim by that you could spend a whole morning exploring. The Maharajah Jungle Trek was wonderful with all the ruined temples and trails. We saw quite a bit of wildlife. I loved the bats. The tigers were already sleepy from the heat and I caught one in a huge yawn.

6992771722_454a2d868a.jpg

7164426572_796fc72a7e.jpg

7164426888_764a16494b.jpg

7164427060_e6204b4b9e.jpg

6992771824_9cf1fae9a8.jpg

After we finished the trail it was time for Sandy & I to go meet the Yeti so we left Mum & Maggie to shop and we'd meet them back at the FP ticket booth for Kali River Rapids. This is a good location to arrange to meet someone as it's easy to find and there is space out of the way behind the FP machines where they can wait in the shade. At Expedition Everest Sandy & I showed our FPs with no problem this time and made our way through the queue. This was one instance where I would have liked a bit of a wait as the displays along the queue line were so detailed and interesting I would have liked time to study and photograph everything. We got a car midway in the train and proceeded up the mountain. The ride was every bit as good as I had heard with great surprises and drops. I saw the strobe (disco) yeti and wished they could get him working but truthfully, if I didn't know otherwise I would have thought that was how it was supposed to be. Maybe by the time we return they will have him fixed and I'll be able to experience the the yeti in his full glory!

By the time we met up with Mum & Maggie we were all feeling hot & tired, the park was crowded and we were set to leave. But first we wanted to get wet on the Kali River Rapids. At some point during the day, after lunch I think, the window had opened up for me to get more FPs so with a set for Kali in hand we headed through the queue and basically had a walk-on. The ride was great - my Mum & Maggie especially liked it and although we certainly got wet we didn't come off totally soaked like some people I had seen although at that point I think we'd have welcomed it. :)

Coming off Kali Maggie spotted some kids playing in the fountains nearby. She paused to look at us for permission to which we replied "of course!" and off she went running through the water and dunking her head in the fountain. At one point my Mum even went over and dunked her head! LOL! I dipped my Tilley hat under water which felt so cool when I put it back on. Reinvigorated we headed for the exit however we made one quick detour to check out the Tree of Life. I had read online about the so-called "secret" trails that took you up close to the trunk of the tree and wanted to see this for ourselves unfortunately the Discovery Island trails were closed off. This photo shows the tree as close as we were able to get on the trails before running into a high construction wall. There were workmen on the trail just below this shot. We found out later a fake branch had come crashing down and they had to do repairs to both the tree and trail. It's Tough to be a Bug show was also closed - not sure if it was planned refurbishment or related to the falling branch incident.

7164427350_9b12616295.jpg

With that it was time to leave the Animal Kingdom behind and head back to the Poly where we were able to get some packing done. My Mum & Maggie had a 5:45pm ADR for Chef Mickey at the Contemporary Resort while Sandy & I had a date night out for dinner at 7:00pm Narcoossee's over at the Grand Floridian Resort. We were all looking forward to our respective dinners out, especially Sandy & I as a dinner for just the 2 of us is a fairly rare occurrence. The Grand Floridian was truly elegant and our dinner at Narcoossee's very romantic overlooking the water with the Magic Kingdom in the distance. We shared the crispy calamari to start and I had the surf & turf steak & lobster which was absolutely delicious! Sandy had the fillet mignon and ordered a glass of the recommended red wine to go with it. At $19 we thought at first that was for a bottle - nope by the glass! :scared1: This dinner was a special treat though and she thoroughly enjoyed it. For desert Sandy had the chocolate mousse and I had the almond crusted cheesecake - I'd have to get back on my diet in a serious way when we returned to the "real" world! All in all a wonderful meal and well worth the signature designation.

7138854735_891e1323be.jpg

7164427488_42c7208f73.jpg

After dinner we took some time to wander the resort and check out the shops before heading back to the Polynesian for the night. We got a full report from my Mum on Chef Mickey. It was as I expected - chaotic and noisy with ok food but good character interaction. Maggie had a good time and then they went swimming in the quiet pool when they got back. OK, it probably wasn't too quiet with "Cannonball" Maggie in there but she had fun. :)

Sad to say but tomorrow at Epcot would be our last day in Disney World and I don't think any of us wanted it to end.

We had a great time at Ohana breakfast as well. Best character interactions of all the character meals we did during this trip!

Saturday, April 28: Epcot
"It's like 3-D without the glasses!"

So Saturday dawned bright and early for us as we got up and made ready for our last day in the parks. I think we were all certainly tired by this point but also more than a little sad that our time here was coming to a close. Today we were off to Epcot and I had great plans to wrap up the week on a high note with dinner and viewing Illuminations that night as a special finish to a wonderful week.

We walked over to the TTC and took the Epcot monorail with no problem. It was a nice ride over enjoying the view (we all saw another alligator!) and before we knew it we saw the "giant golf ball" come into view. I must have mentioned the nickname for Spaceship Earth to Maggie which she thought was funny and commented that you'd need a really large golf club for that. LOL! We got off the monorail and approached the gates at around 8:20am whereupon I noticed that the crowds already seemed larger than I would have guessed. I knew that Epcot, having evening extra magic hours today, was not a recommended park and the crowd levels were going to be up around a 7 out of 10 which would have been the highest we had seen yet. Still I thought this early in the morning we would have seen less people. The reason was all the cheerleading squads and their coaches, friends and families coming in for the competition. We had run into them yesterday at the Animal Kingdom which was probably their day off if they arrived early but today they were here on mass. I was thankful though that most of them would be busy with the actual competition and not riding rides.

7175872320_64f6d29281.jpg

(I had to wait a bit for the monorail to come around again but was happy to get this shot!)

We lined up behind a set of turnstiles off to the far left with only a few people in front of us - they must be the other ones that read sites like DIS and EasyWDW! ;) When we got in line there wasn't any cast members at those particular turnstiles yet but by the time the opening welcome show (such as it is) was set to go they were in place and I could relax. The lines at the other turnstiles were all really backed up so once again I silently thanked all the advice I had read and planning I had done beforehand. It continued to pay off big time. We were let though the gate right on time (early opening) at 8:45am and we started our hustle towards Soarin'. Maggie however had other ideas as she had spotted Daisy Duck. Knowing we had to make a bee line for the Land Pavilion to get ahead of the horde of people just behind us I was loathe to make a detour to the plan. However as Maggie really loved the character greetings and there was literally no one in line for her I broke all the rules of several planning websites by stopping to meet her and get a photo before riding Soarin' but seeing that smile it was worth it! :)

7175872100_1da9e49b19.jpg

With that quickly accomplished we made our way towards the Land Pavilion and Soarin'. I have to admit that even with our detour the crowds were light. Getting to the park early combined with the soft opening procedure really does thin out the mad rush. Since we were 2nd in line at the turnstile we were well ahead of the majority of people that would still be back at the gates waiting to get through. Here is a shot as we were walking up past Spaceship Earth I think - pretty vacant.

7175872200_f9cffa9ca4.jpg

Soarin' was listed as 10min. stand-by when we got there which as you'll know if you've been is essentially the time it takes to walk through the queue. We got placed in the lowest row which meant we had feet dangling over our heads but it didn't matter much. Soarin' was very cool - every bit the experience people had described. Yes there was some dust on the screen but you don't really notice it once the rides starts. The experience was so totally immersive. Maggie was thrilled and described it as "just like 3D but without the glasses!" Very true!

Once out of Soarin' we headed straight to Mission Space. We debated a bit about green side/orange side. I would have been ok with orange for sure but my Mum and Sandy would not like the spinning. Maggie has some sensory issues and so is a sensory seeking kid - she never gets dizzy and the bigger the sensory input the more she likes it so she would have actually loved the orange side. We deferred to Mum & Sandy though and all got on the green side. Again, the wait was minimal at this time - even the more popular orange side had only about 12-15 people in line. We successfully navigate to Mars and completed our mission. Maggie liked the lift off and my Mum liked Gary Sinise!! :)

From there it was off to my personal favourite at Epcot - the Living Seas. Ok, The Seas with Nemo but I still think of it by the old name. They have done a really great job with the new theme - I loved the rusted texture on the handrails in the queue line (I'll have to try and emulate that on my cemetery fence for Halloween) and the animated fish appearing in the real tank was very cool although I miss the Hydrolator and Seacabs.

Our first stop was Turtle Talk with Crush. Maggie knew about this from the planning DVD but still didn't know what to expect. I told her to sit right up front which she did. Crush came out and it was great. He selected Maggie for the 2nd question (I think she had her hand up from even before he appeared!) and she asked "what do turtles do when it gets cold?" A very good question (which she came up with on her own) and Crush thought so too. He said they just don't go where it's cold and asked her where she was from? "Canada" she replied. He asked whether it was cold or hot there and Maggie responded "a bit of both!" Crush thought he would stay down in Florida and not go to Canada. Then Dory appeared and led us all in a class on how to speak whale. Truly magical experience - the actor must wear some kind of motion capture suit to get Crush's expressions and motions but it is a perfect blend of actor and technology to create real Disney magic. I can see why it's so popular.

After Crush we stopped to watch the Manatee. Sandy & I loved these from our 1 day visit together years ago and Maggie instantly loved them as well. I don't think you can help it - they are so gentle with such sweet faces. One thing to note, there was quite a crowd in front of the main viewing area but no one off to the sides in the small viewing pods. We had the concave one on the right all to ourselves and it seemed like we were right in the tank with the manatee.

Maggie did the obligatory shot up close and personal inside Bruce's jaws which was fun and tried some of the interactive shark displays.

7175871660_79e9a8fd66.jpg

Then it was up to the main Sea Base Alpha viewing areas of the aquarium and they were as every bit as mesmerizing as I remember and could stand there forever looking out into the tank. We watched a bit of one of the dolphin shows where they have to pick correct matching shapes as selected by the trainer. Very impressive.

7175871820_5780d5d93a.jpg

We found Nemo!!

7175871738_8bf3fde4d4.jpg

After the Seas we were feeling it was time for lunch. I had planned for us to eat at Cantina de San Angel counter service so we made out way out to the International Showcase which had just opened up. Enroute we took in some of the incredible Disney character topiaries and flower displays of the Annual Flower & Garden Festival. My Mum is an avid gardener and so was very interested in all the displays. She was amazed to see such variety and size of the flowers and plants. She's experimented getting some of the varieties to grow but up in Canada she just can't get many of them to grow in our zone.

7175871570_2c3fa37f48.jpg

7175872000_c9fd932538.jpg

I also had to take this picture of the orchids as Sandy's mother is quite fond of orchids and has a good variety growing at home.

7175871450_dddefec10e.jpg

After lunch in Mexico it was on to China. Maggie was excited to meet Mulan - one ONE AND ONLY princess she likes and takes an interest in. Mainly because Mulan does kung fu. Mum had again hand-made a beautiful custom dress for Maggie to wear - this time a Mulan style one for when she met the princess in China.

7175871252_3b128b4fae.jpg

When we got to China the rest of the family went off to get Maggie changed while I took a look around the pavilion. I was impressed to see the Temple of Heaven. When in Beijing back in 2006 I took Maggie to see the actual Temple of Heaven - even scaled-down this was a remarkable replica.

For comparison here is the replica at Epcot…

7175871110_18bfe90e5c.jpg

And here is the real thing in Beijing...

7175980230_59e3eeec07.jpg

As you can see they did a great job at capturing the spirit of the place if not the exact size and majesty of it. And yes, that is Maggie at 14 months in the stroller. The rest of our travel group went shopping at the Pearl Market so we went touring the nearby temple just the two of us - father & daughter!

Maggie reappeared all dressed up and it was time for Mulan! After a short wait for a number of teenage boys (?) to finish with her it was Maggie's turn. Unlike other character meets she didn't immediately run into her arms for a hug but acted quite shy and sweet. Mulan was so taken aback to see Maggie in her dress and she had brought her little dragon stuffed toy she had bought the day before in Asia at the Animal Kingdom. You could tell Mulan was genuinely touched and spent a lot of time with Maggie. She complimented my mother on her dress-making and was interested to see Maggie's kung fu moves (although Maggie complained she really couldn't do them properly as the dress was in the way - definitely a tomboy through and through) They did a number of poses together which the Photopass photographer got some great shots of. (you could hear the photographer saying things like "YES!" to herself after each shot so you know she was happy with them) After Mulan signed Maggie's book it was time to say "zaijian" (goodbye) and they bowed to each other. It was so moving and special for all of us.

7175871004_d2755c94fc.jpg

7175870792_88fc249ff7.jpg

7175870670_0ebcc57ac9.jpg

We then went into the temple and watched the 360 degree movie on the wonders of China and had fun recognizing many of the sights we had seen when we were there. Then of course it was into the gift shop. I think it took Maggie all of about one day into our stay when she figured out that almost every ride or attraction ended in a gift shop! Maggie spent the last of her savings on a paper fan and a Chinese style play sword with a dragon printed on it. They've just started practicing with some weapons in her kung fu class and so Maggie couldn't wait to try it out. I've got some great video of her doing kung fu movements with the sword in the courtyard for the amusement of the shopkeepers and people passing by. I'll have to try and post it here if I can.

With China done we wanted nothing more than to get back to the Polynesian. It was now VERY hot and VERY crowded. As we walked back to the entrance I noticed that my Mum especially was dragging and really feeling the heat. We had done well all week but we had just reached the wall of our endurance. We were scheduled to come back to Epcot later that afternoon for dinner and Illuminations but I realized there was just no way we could manage it. I did some figuring in my head and announced that I would see what I could do once we got back to the Poly. We finally made it to the monorail and sitting in the air conditioned cars felt very nice indeed! At the Poly I went to talk to guest services to see what could be done with our ADRs. If we couldn't get in anywhere close I was prepared at this point to pay OOP for a counter service. The very helpful cast member did some checking and although 'Ohana was completely booked (I expected that) we could get into Kona for 7:00pm which was great! She went ahead and cancelled our ADR at Chef du France (with more than a tinge of regret on my part but it was for the best) and booked us into Kona. We had eaten there earlier in the week and loved it and the fact we wouldn't have to travel anywhere for dinner was just what we needed. I went to meet up with the family and let them know the good news.

Sandy went back to the room to sleep and the rest of us went to the volcano pool. We found Mum a table and chairs in the shade over by the Barefoot Bar where she could rest and have a cool drink in our refillable mugs while I took Maggie swimming. Maggie really loved the pool and going down the slide although she didn't go down as often as she did previously - it was more crowded with more of a line-up at the slide - although we had lots of fun playing around the waterfall. She met a little girl in the pool and they had fun jumping in together hand in hand - it's amazing how fast kids can make friends.

After our swim we went back to the room to get changed. Sandy was still sleeping and Mum decided to rest as well so Maggie & I went out and walked all around the resort taking pictures. We ended up at the GCH just in time for nightly torch lighting ceremony so we were able to see that as well. It was cool watching the fire juggling again and Maggie liked it a lot.

The quiet afternoon was just want everyone had needed and we all felt better afterwards. Having the ADR a bit later was also nice so we didn't have to rush. Feeling refreshed we got cleaned up and dressed for dinner before heading over to Kona at the GCH. Our last night dinner was another winner. I read glowing reviews beforehand of the steak and had liked it so much earlier I had it again that night although I think I'll miss that pineapple bread and butter more!! I also HAD to have a Lapu Lapu in a pineapple to celebrate. I had previously ordered a Lapu Lapu from the Barefoot Bar but they couldn't make it in the pineapple. It was the same drink as far as the ingredients went and tasted good (strong!!) but I wanted to order another to get it in the pineapple the way it was supposed to be. I had brought sporks but sadly forgot it in the room. Didn't stop me from scraping away with my knife and fork and did a pretty good job at hollowing it out!! It was very good and had a ridiculous amount of rum so I was very happy for the remainder of the evening. :)

7175870548_f50fb5366c.jpg

7175870382_d6dd34dfc3.jpg

Since we were missing the Illumnations fireworks at Epcot which would have been our big finish closer to our vacation we instead watched Wishes again from the beach at the Poly as a wonderful way to wrap up a wonderful week. We got a great spot with lounge chairs for all of us and a direct view of the castle. There must have been a speaker nearby because we could hear the music loud and clear. While we waited Maggie played on the beach with a selection of glow sticks and wands from the dollar store I had brought with us for the evening shows. Before we knew it we heard the music start, Tickerbell did her flight (clearly visible - she was like a shooting star falling to earth) and the fireworks started up. Wishes as seen from the Poly beach is such a unique and magical way to experience it I think we were all happy with how this day had played out - not according to the "PLAN" but in the end what works for us is what's important. Being able to rest and relax in the afternoon, have wonderful dinner without having to travel and now watching the fireworks knowing that we won't have to fight the crowds and can be back in our room and in bed before we know it all played a part in wrapping up the week better than I think the planned evening at Epcot ever could have done.

And then suddenly, as quick as it had started, with one big blast and a fanfare of music Wishes was over and it was time to go home.

7175870030_e1ce1534ba.jpg

7175869962_84d07c56d7.jpg

Sunday, April 29
"We're leaving on a jet plane. :("

So now comes the hardest chapter of the entire trip report to write - the day we have to leave and go home.

Our flight was scheduled to depart Orlando at 10:25am but we would need to be up early to finish packing and be ready for the Magical Express bus at 6:30am! Yikes! We're not even doing a rope drop and we still have to get up early. At least it wasn't as early as our flight just the previous Sunday (did that ever seem like a long time ago!). We were mostly packed up the night before so it was just a case of putting in a few last minute items and going over the room to make sure we hadn't left anything important. We were actually leaving quite a bit which we thought the housecleaners might want and we didn't need to take with us. All of our dollar store rain ponchos which I'm happy to say we never once needed, some food (apples and oranges), etc. I also took all the pages out of my planning binders (since I wouldn't need them now) and threw them out but left the binder itself. Since we were taking back a number of souvenirs and were close to our luggage weight limits coming down we didn't want to go over on the return trip so anything that we didn't need got thrown out or left to save weight.

We had called Bell Services to arrange for a pickup but there must have been some mixup as they didn't come at the designated time. I made another call and sent the rest of the family along to the bus stop while I waited. In a very short while the bell hop arrived and I was surprised to see it was the same Cast Member from the YouTube Disney family video fame. I was in the presence of a (very) minor celebrity! :) He was very nice and we got all the luggage over to the bus stop in no time. With only a short wait our bus came and we were on our way. As the bus drove off we took one last sad look at the Poly knowing that some day we would have to come back.

Other than that, not too much more to tell. It was an uneventful flight home and we caught a taxi home from the airport to meet my Dad who was waiting for us. Maggie was overjoyed to see him (and our cat - Max!) and had to tell him all her stories from over the week. We like to tease him about being a bit grumpy so I just had to bring him back a very special souvenir.

Dad with the souvenir we got him. The cup says it all!! :lmao:

7175869820_b4dab3f950.jpg

One of the things we got Maggie was a small Disney photo album and I printed off about 100 photos from our trip and put them all in order. She had great fun taking it to school and showing her friends. She said the teacher put them up on a screen with a projector and all the kids had popcorn while Maggie talked about her adventures to the whole class. She was so happy and said it was just like a movie!

Thank you to everyone who read this trip report - it was great way for me to relive the memories of our trip. Since coming back I think we're all in a bit of withdrawal. I'm a bit at a loss as to how to sum up our vacation properly and finish the report. First and foremost I'm so thankful I did all the research and planning leading up to this trip. I learned that Disney World, although a wonderful place, is huge, crowded and can be confusing for the new visitor. I think of all the time that could have been wasted standing in lines or opportunities lost by simply not knowing they exist and it really makes all the time invested worthwhile. (Note: I'm going to go in and edit my original post and add in a bit more of my planning info and files in case that might help anyone reading this) Things like the Pirate's League, FASTPASSes, ADRs, where and when to go to rides/attractions, even where to stand at rope drop or what side of the queue line to take I owe all to the DISboards and other planning sites. I was also so thankful I had studied and re-studied all the parks maps, read trip reports and looked at all the photos to familiarize myself as much as I could with the layout of the parks. I was actually amazed at how little I needed to consult the official park maps since even though I hadn't been to Disney World in years (decades) and in some cases like Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom not at all, I still had a general idea of where we were and where we needed to go. This more than anything else helped immensely.

Did I drive my family crazy with a maxed-out commando style touring plan? No, I don't think so but it was good having a firm plan on when and where to go to maximize our time and then knowing enough that we could change our plans on the fly for one reason or another. Was there were some things we didn't get to do or things I would do differently? Sure, I have some regrets but they are in truth very minor and in no way change the way I remember the vacation. I look upon those things as something to look forward to on our next trip. We will go to Disney World again I'm sure (Maggie's already asking when and in fact was re-packing her suitcase complete with unused yellow Magic Express luggage tags the very day we came home!) and I'm sure when we do go we'll be staying at the Polynesian. The Poly has captured our hearts like no other place we have stayed and it would not have been the same vacation had we stayed elsewhere, however nice. It was so calm and peaceful to come back to the resort from the busy parks you instantly felt relaxed.

To sum up here are a selection of magical memories from our week that I will remember always…

• driving though the Disney World gates and realizing we were finally here
• walking into the Grand Ceremonial House for the first time and smelling the flowers
• seeing the happiness and wonder in Maggie's eyes each and every time she met a character as she ran to give them hugs
• Sandy & I on our dinner together at Narcoossee's and how beautiful she looked
• our first view of the Tree of Life
• walking down Main Street and seeing the castle come into view
• playing in the Volcano Pool and drinking Lapu Lapus
• Mum getting wet on Kali River Rapids and loving it
• watching the Magic, Memories and You show as it transformed the castle before our eyes
• Maggie dancing and bouncing hand in hand with Tigger
• Maggie in her matching dress meeting Mulan and then doing her kung fu moves in the China courtyard at Epcot
• Sandy & I terrified riding Space Mountain while Maggie has her hands in the air loving it
• seeing Maggie leap and dance with her glow sticks on the beach
• my Mum getting a hug from Eeyore
• walking the grounds of the Polynesian every day and feeling transported to another world
• watching the Indiana Jones show
• seeing the lush vegetation and thumbing of the Animal Kingdom
• the fabulous dancers and fire juggling at the Spirit of Aloha show
• seeing Maggie interact with Jack Sparrow and lightsaber battle Darth Vader

and finally…

• watching Wishes from the beach at the Poly knowing we had to leave but would someday be back

Also a huge THANK YOU to my parents for making the whole trip possible and making not just Maggie's but ALL our dreams come true!

7209149504_58b03a954b_b.jpg

Great report ! I really enjoyed reading about your family's trip to WDW and seeing all the pics.
Maggie looks like she really enjoyed herself and I know will be looking forward to going back.

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us !! :goodvibes

Thank you for sharing! I enjoyed it and the special interaction with Mulan was too sweet. Also, the "real thing" v. EPCOT pic was great!

Thank you for sharing! I enjoyed it and the special interaction with Mulan was too sweet. Also, the "real thing" v. EPCOT pic was great!

Thanks Lemurone! We agree that the time spent with Mulan was so special.

Wonderful trip report and thank you for taking the time to share your adventure. It definitely helped me as I put the finishing touches on our first timers trip next week!

Many thanks!
Sharon

Wonderful trip report and thank you for taking the time to share your adventure. It definitely helped me as I put the finishing touches on our first timers trip next week!

Many thanks!
Sharon

Thanks Sharon! I know I found reading trip reports was really invaluable to me in getting a handle on the parks and what to prepare for.

BTW, if anyone is interested in seeing larger sizes of our photos you can check them out on Flickr.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter