Pirate Night question..

peaches0313

DIS Veteran
New cruiser here! We are on a 4 night cruise on the Dream during Halloween time. I know Pirate night is going to be on our Castaway Cay night. Someone said that the festivities don't start until 9:45 pm (fireworks, then pirate deck dance party until midnight) which seems late to me.. is this true? If this is true, we were going to book Pirates League/ BBB around 8 pm for our daughters, after our 5:45 pm 1st seating dinner. Just didn't know if this was usually the case/ timing of Pirate night.. wouldn't want to be doing BBB/ Pirates league during something important Pirate night-wise.... Thanks!

They have to wait until it's very dark for the fireworks. They also have to make it so late for the people eating dinner at 8:15 to have a chance to finish. They still have a show on pirate night so if you do BBB at 8pm you're going to miss the show. Or at least part of it.

I wouldn't do BBB at 8PM. The hair and makeup will be all messed up by overnight sleep now that they aren't using as much gel.

People are dressed up during dinner for pirate night, also. Most of our table was dressed up in some way. One of the older kids was decked out very Captain Jack Sparrow, even acting like him during the meal. If you want to fully enjoy the pirate night experience, I recommend having them done up before dinner.

They have to wait until it's very dark for the fireworks. They also have to make it so late for the people eating dinner at 8:15 to have a chance to finish. They still have a show on pirate night so if you do BBB at 8pm you're going to miss the show. Or at least part of it.
Perfect thanks! So sounds like we are just missing a show, right? Not the actual pirate night "party"?

People are dressed up during dinner for pirate night, also. Most of our table was dressed up in some way. One of the older kids was decked out very Captain Jack Sparrow, even acting like him during the meal. If you want to fully enjoy the pirate night experience, I recommend having them done up before dinner.
Hmmm.. okay..thank you.. That is out then as we are at CC that day and want to take full advantage and stay there as late as possible. Then will have to take time to shower and get ready for 5:45 pm dinner etc. Our girls WILL be in their pirate outfits for dinner.. just thought the pirates league would be fun for the makeup etc, but maybe that's not worth it..

On our cruises the fireworks are after the deck party but before the buffet. The whole thing is late, as stated above, because it needs to be dark enough to see the fireworks. Some people wear their pirate attire almost all day...there are no rules to follow....guidelines, perhaps.

On our cruises the fireworks are after the deck party but before the buffet. The whole thing is late, as stated above, because it needs to be dark enough to see the fireworks. Some people wear their pirate attire almost all day...there are no rules to follow....guidelines, perhaps.
see this makes me feel like the 8 pm pirates league appt for make up would be fun! to go w/ the outfits they will be wearing.. esp. if this thing goes late.... so conflicted. :/

see this makes me feel like the 8 pm pirates league appt for make up would be fun! to go w/ the outfits they will be wearing.. esp. if this thing goes late.... so conflicted. :/

I think that is a fine idea. We loved the Pirates League makeovers at BBB very much! We could not get appointments ahead of time so we got them right when we boarded on embarkation day. Our appointments were actually during dinner, maybe 7:30 but that worked out fine. They were all dressed up, got their makeovers, and then when they were finished, we had portraits done with Pirate Minnie and Pirate Mickey! It worked out perfectly! I think you should be fine!

For me personally, I would want to have my kiddo done up before dinner because we always do pictures before dinner. That is when the characters are out and taking photos in their pirate costumes with the guests, so i would want the "completed look" for the photo-op. If I also wanted to maxamize my time in port, I think I would simply do my kiddos' makeup in the stateroom. It appears (as it was not available when we last sailed) that hair isn't done, a cap/bandana is added as well as a scull tattoo and some eye makeup. I could easily whip that up in my room. The only thing I would not have is the Pirate's League sash, but I am sure those are available online (ebay).

And FWIW, we were too full for the buffet and were done with the show and fireworks by like 10pm...it was not an all night rager.

A few things to consider:

1) Some people start wearing pirate regalia early in the afternoon, so it's really never too early!

2) The dining room will have pirate nonsense all during dinner, so it's fun to already be dressed up if you like that sort of thing.

3) There will be more opportunities for photos if you dress earlier.

5) There are lots of pirate activities that go on in the kids club and there is, I think, a family pirate thing in the evening in D Lounge.

6) Depending on how old your kids are and what they can handle, the actual pirate show on deck could be too late or too loud/scary/crowded for some kids.

I personally would not wait until that late. But everyone has a different perspective and objectives.

Kathi

Last edited:
New cruiser here! We are on a 4 night cruise on the Dream during Halloween time. I know Pirate night is going to be on our Castaway Cay night. Someone said that the festivities don't start until 9:45 pm (fireworks, then pirate deck dance party until midnight) which seems late to me.. is this true? If this is true, we were going to book Pirates League/ BBB around 8 pm for our daughters, after our 5:45 pm 1st seating dinner. Just didn't know if this was usually the case/ timing of Pirate night.. wouldn't want to be doing BBB/ Pirates league during something important Pirate night-wise.... Thanks!

We're also going on our first cruise on the Dream during the same time! Do you know if pirate night is always on CC day? Thanks!

Just remember there's 2 pirate shows.
Mickey's Pirates in the Caribbean started at 7:45. With the Buccaneer Blast at 10:30.
We had early dining, went to the 7:45 show. Then caught Cars 3 at 8:30. Afterwards, we went to our stateroom, put on pajamas, and magically caught the fireworks from our verandah before crawling into bed. I'm not sure what time they were actually shot off, though.

For me personally, I would want to have my kiddo done up before dinner because we always do pictures before dinner. That is when the characters are out and taking photos in their pirate costumes with the guests, so i would want the "completed look" for the photo-op. If I also wanted to maxamize my time in port, I think I would simply do my kiddos' makeup in the stateroom. It appears (as it was not available when we last sailed) that hair isn't done, a cap/bandana is added as well as a scull tattoo and some eye makeup. I could easily whip that up in my room. The only thing I would not have is the Pirate's League sash, but I am sure those are available online (ebay).

And FWIW, we were too full for the buffet and were done with the show and fireworks by like 10pm...it was not an all night rager.
Thank you! This may be an idea! I can bring some eye make up :) Are red bandanas supplied in each cabin? I thought I read that somewhere. If that is true, we wouldn't need the ones from pirates league...

Thank you! This may be an idea! I can bring some eye make up :) Are red bandanas supplied in each cabin? I thought I read that somewhere. If that is true, we wouldn't need the ones from pirates league...
You will each receive a "bandana" in your room. I say "bandana" because it's actually a triangle, on the small size, not an actual bandana.

You will each receive a "bandana" in your room. I say "bandana" because it's actually a triangle, on the small size, not an actual bandana.
Does is still fit on a child's head? (smaller 6 and 8 year olds)? The dresses I am bringing for them would look adorable with a red bandana, so just wondering if i need to buy one ahead of time from say, Amazon, or not necessary if given on cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter