• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pirate night is lame now

Both of my cruises (April 2016 and April 2018) have had just one pirate party, between dinners. Both of those cruises were on Classic ships. Both times, everything went smoothly with getting to dinner (even this year, when they had to delay the party by 10 minutes to get us out of the rain), as the MDR knows where virtually the entire ship is, and expects people to be a few minutes late that night, once the fireworks end. I will say that I haven't particularly enjoyed the character dance party that is the pirate party on the Classic ships, but it's a fun atmosphere, and cool to watch the fireworks from a ship. I think there was a pirate buffet after 10, but, as that's usually when we're getting out of late dinner, we've never been, as we can't fathom eating anything else. Sailing on the Fantasy this coming April, so I'm curious to see if these changes hold.

We sail on Monday on the Dream and DH and DD are looking forward to the buffet. I like the later fireworks. Guess we’ll see what happens.

We are on that cruise too! Hoping they didn't take away the buffet....we were excited for it.

Seems others posting on another site about the 8/18 Fantasy. Show and Fireworks were early between seatings and no pirate buffet. Seems to be a Fantasy thing?

This is the cruise we were on. We were disappointed in the show and it was VERY crowded. No buffet that we have never tried and had hoped we would have. We had late dinner - the fireworks started at 8 and we made it to our dinner.

I am a little confused by all the reports here naming various show so I have a question:

Do they not do the show where pirates take over the ship and Mickey ziplines to the rescue anymore at all?

I am a little confused by all the reports here naming various show so I have a question:

Do they not do the show where pirates take over the ship and Mickey ziplines to the rescue anymore at all?
That's the show on the Magic & Wonder. There are two shows on the Dream class ships. It used to be a kid-friendly Mickey & pals "nice" pirate show between the two dinner seatings. And a more "bad" pirate show after the late dinner followed by the fireworks and buffet.

Now, it seems the Fantasy is doing a different kid-friendly show that's not well received followed by the fireworks and the late show is still the same, but no fireworks or buffet.

That's the show on the Magic & Wonder. There are two shows on the Dream class ships. It used to be a kid-friendly Mickey & pals "nice" pirate show between the two dinner seatings. And a more "bad" pirate show after the late dinner followed by the fireworks and buffet.

Now, it seems the Fantasy is doing a different kid-friendly show that's not well received followed by the fireworks and the late show is still the same, but no fireworks or buffet.
Thank you!!!!!!!

That is better for me as I already saw it twice and like new but I was hoping my granddaughters could see it. Oh well, now they have two shows to enjoy!

As of the August 15th Navigator from the Fantasy there is still 2 Pirate shows like their has been on all 4 ships for years with the exception of specialty crusies, kids one at 7:30 NO Fireworks and The Buccaneer Pirate show at 10:15 pm with Fireworks. Also there was a Pirate Buffet that night. Sounds hopeful.

A0D82638-4964-415A-9686-FEFEAD6940CB.jpeg
As of the August 15th Navigator from the Fantasy there is still 2 Pirate shows like their has been on all 4 ships for years with the exception of specialty crusies, kids one at 7:30 NO Fireworks and The Buccaneer Pirate show at 10:15 pm with Fireworks. Also there was a Pirate Buffet that night. Sounds hopeful.

This information is not correct for our cruise on the Fantasy on August 18, 2019. There was the Mickey Pirates show at 5 pm (we did not see this). Buccaneer Blast at 7:45 pm followed by fireworks at 8 pm. No buffet. (Hopefully the Navigator picture attached).

i think it's a strategy to fix complaints about "too crowded to see it".
make it really lame, so that only 1st time cruisers bother to go.
then everyone can see. :)

pirate buffet... well, it's not a matter of being hungry, but still i looked forward to it.

We were just looking forward to it because this was our second cruise and we missed it the first time...honestly have no idea if it was any good. We like mingling in our pirate costumes too

Back in the day, my grandson and friend's son loved the pirate buffet.

(And I may have loved the desserts a little too much!)

Last edited:
We were just looking forward to it because this was our second cruise and we missed it the first time...honestly have no idea if it was any good. We like mingling in our pirate costumes too
Pretty much my mindset as well. I missed it on my last two cruises so I wanted to check it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter