• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pirate cruise

Carrie Ellis

DIS Veteran
Hello to all!

I would like to request some opinions! I hope this does not catch me on fire! ha!

We have 2 eight year olds (twins) and 2 three year olds (twins). The 3 year olds will only be a month shy of 4 when we are there. They are both way pass potty trained (the 3 year olds that is! lol!). I now they would so much enjoy the pirate cruise that leaves from the Grand Floridan. My 2 oldest are boys. The two youngest are a girl and boy. My youngest boy would be traumatized sp? if he could not go with the older boys. The cruise is suppose to be for 4-10 year olds but my younger twins act very well and since they have been with the older 2 all their life they are much much like 4 year olds already. Now I know some 4 and 5 year olds at our church that I would place at an age 3 if I did not know any better!

I know there are "rules" for a reason but common sense tells me that they would do fine and plus they will be with my two 8 year olds.

Would you fudge a little?

I know the age 4 minimum rule for the Kid Clubs is for insurance reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pirate Cruise is 4 for that reason as well.

Good luck!

Nancy

It probably has something to do with ratios too. The staff to child ratio in Florida for 3 year olds is 15 to 1, and for 4 year olds is 20 to 1. If a 3 year old is present with a group of four year olds, it shrinks the ratio for the entire group to 15 to 1.

I could really understand the staffing issue. 20 to 1 would increase profit although this cruise is only $28/kid. I know they also need to draw a line somewhere. 3 is kind of a in between age at Disney. Old enough to pay to get in the parks but not old enough for several of the events and clubs!

I really would like the older boys to do this and I usually don't mind saying "no" you can't go but this would be so much up my younger boys alley! It would be sad for him.

Thanks for the information.

each time my daughter has gone on the cruise, she was asked by a staffer how old she was. just fyi. good luck.

each time my daughter has gone on the cruise, she was asked by a staffer how old she was. just fyi. good luck.

Carrie Ellis--

Our three kids did the Pirate Cruise on our last trip. There was my DS 9, DD6, and DS3. My 3 y/o was turning 4 the following month (like your son/daughter). I was hesistant on letting him go at first (because of the age limit----it is "bending" the rules--and also because we weren't sure how he would be monitored), though he looks to be around 5; but we couldn't bear to let his older brother and sister go, without him. But once we arrived at the dock, all the kids found a partner that they had to 'buddy' with for the entire adventure. So my older son helped his younger brother, and my daughter quickly found a friend. It worked out perfectly. The smiles on their faces when they put on the pirate gear (life-jacket and bandana) was only surpassed, by the smiles on their faces when they returned. They all had an amazing time. I'm glad we decided for all the kids to do the Pirate Cruise together.

Incidently, no one asked their ages, and also we saw children boarding the ship that no way looked 4 years old....

kashkdz-

Thanks a lot! That is what I was wondering. Was this on your 07/04 trip? What did they bring back? Did your older children tell you the details? I am curious on what they do for 2 hours, exactly. I know they look for treasure.

I have two 8 year olds and two 3 (almost 4) year olds. They could each buddy w/ each other (one 8 with one 4:) ). I would like to suprise them this. They know about everything else we are doing.

You have been a great help!
Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by Carrie Ellis
What did they bring back? Did your older children tell you the details? I am curious on what they do for 2 hours, exactly. I know they look for treasure.

My grandson went on the pirate cruise in August 2002 ... from his description of the cruise they followed clues that led them from the GF to the Poly to the Contemporary and finally to River Country where they found the "treasure."

He came back with a lunch-size bag of candy and trinkets. For lunch they had PB&J sandwiches, juice box and a rice krispie bar (if I remember correctly).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter