• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pirate Cruise

CastleLight

DIS Veteran
My son will be 3 weeks shy of 4 when we go to WDW. Do they make any exceptions to the age requirement for the pirate cruise? Do they verify ages?

If I recall, you need to list your child's birth date on the registration/waiver form that you are required to sign at pirate cruise check-in.

My son will be 3 weeks shy of 4 when we go to WDW. Do they make any exceptions to the age requirement for the pirate cruise? Do they verify ages?

Honestly, if it were me, I would just fudge a little on his birthdate to be sure. I seriously doubt that they are going to ask to see a birth certificate. Just add a month to his age and you should be fine.

Honestly, if it were me, I would just fudge a little on his birthdate to be sure. I seriously doubt that they are going to ask to see a birth certificate. Just add a month to his age and you should be fine.

The age requirement is because of legal/insurance issues. If anything happens to the child on the Pirate Cruise, the parents won't have a leg to stand on. Sharing ways to get around Disney's rules isn't tolerated on the DIS.

In addition, you have to give the birthdate of each child when making a reservation, so the computer already has the info when you sign up for the cruise.

As Deb stated, it is a question of liability, just like the height requirement on attractions.

The age requirement is because of legal/insurance issues. If anything happens to the child on the Pirate Cruise, the parents won't have a leg to stand on. Sharing ways to get around Disney's rules isn't tolerated on the DIS.

I agree. As I stated in my post, you must list your child's birthdate and then SIGN THE FORM, signifying that what you have listed on the form is in fact, the truth. Should the information turn out not to be true, and something happens to your child . . . don't look to Disney for help. The Pirate Cruise will be there. Maybe you would consider waiting a year.

Please understand that they typically take a maximum of 12 children out on the cruise, with two adults - one of whom is driving the boat. The children are getting on and off the boat and the cruise staff need to be able to supervise the ENTIRE group of children. Disney has determined an age minimum for this activity to help ensure the entire group is safe and properly supervised. Perhaps they believe children under the age of 4 may need more supervision and, given the structure of the tour, they do not feel comfortable taking younger children. I certainly hope, for the safety of all of the children on the boats, people will adhere to Disney's rule.

Disney is very serious about age limits. I have a friend who tried to book an excursion on a Disney Cruise with a 4 year old age minimum. Her child was turning 4 THE DAY AFTER the excursion was to take place. DCL would not make an exception and they could not do the excursion. In this case, DCL had the child's passport on file so there was NO getting around the rules.

The more people try to break the rules, the tighter Disney will become with restrictions. There are good reasons for age and height minimums! Safety being number 1!

Where all do they offer this cruise? My boys are both old enough and they would love it!

I've been looking all over for more information on the waiver attached to this adveture. I've read a lot of things to put me at ease, I just would like to know in advance what exactly I'm signing over when I sign the waiver for my child to participate. I understand the cruise is quite safe, but I still have concerns about what the waiver would mean. Does it relieve Disney of all liability? I like to know what I'm getting into before I'm there and they're departing in 5 min, and I'm feeling pressured. Yanno? Anyone have a copy of this, or remember it clearly?

I'm not a lawyer, but there is no waiver in the world that can remove all liability from the company. For example if they failed to ensure that the boat was serviced correctly and the engine caught on fire, no waiver would let them out of that, because one would reasonably expect a company providing a service to have appropriate health and safety compliance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter