Pins falling off lanyard

Bonniec

DIS Veteran
I got my 5 year old a lanyard and some pins for trading. The problem is that they keep falling off. Has anyone found a solution for that? I can't glue them or he'd never get them off. But we keep losing the pins. :confused:

Disney sells special locking backs for pins that replaces the rubber Mickey ears. Although it would be more difficult to trade, it would ensure they stay on his lanyard until he wants to trade them off.

ooh thats good to know. I have a food and wine one that keeps falling off due to its weight. do you know where they sell them? is it on the disney store site?

ooh thats good to know. I have a food and wine one that keeps falling off due to its weight. do you know where they sell them? is it on the disney store site?

In fact that is the last pin I used one on....my Wine and Dine race pin kept falling off the medal ribbon.

Then sell them pretty much anywhere they sell pins. I know we bought the last pack on a cart in Animal Kingdom.

As the PP said, they usually sell them wherever they sell pins. One thing to note is that they use a hex key to tighten and loosen them, so be sure to carry that with you. Also, they are small cylinder shaped metal backs (maybe about 1/4" long), so they can be a bit uncomfortable if they jab you.

One other option is to just try some different backs to see if you can find ones that are tighter. I've found that some of the holes on the Mickey head backs are larger than other ones, so some backs fit more snuggly.

We have also had problems of losing backs and pins falling off. This is what we do to try to keep from losing pins.

If we trade for a pin and notice later that it has a loose back, we either try to trade that one away soon or swap that back with the next one to be traded to get rid of the loose back as soon as possible.

When trading with the CM, if I'm with my child and notice that a pin has a loose back, I have asked to get the back off of another one of their pins and they have not not problem making the change.

We have also gotten to the point where if one of my kids gets a pin that they absolutely love and think they will never trade, we will pull that pin off the lanyard and put it in the bag for safekeeping. That way it won't fall off unexpectedly, but we have it with us if they find another one and decide maybe that one wasn't so special and needs to be traded after all.

I got those locking backs yesterday. They are a bit of a pain to put on but those suckers arent coming off!

A word of advice though...check the package well. I bought a pack of 10 for $8 (kinda pricey) and there is a little black piece missing from one.

There are also other types of "locking" pin backs available, not in the parks but on eBay. they are metal and have little nubs on the sides that you push in to take the back off. I don't like them at all, but DD11 does. Just do a search for locking pin backs and you'll find some.

Check ebay.. I bought the Disney locking backs on there, got 2 packs for $7. What a deal! They lock and stay locked. I agree, what a pain to have to take off. So we too put the traders on the lanyards and the non traders in the book ;)

someone mentioned they cant glue them on but why not?

a little dab of hot glue would hold them on really nice.

someone mentioned they cant glue them on but why not?

a little dab of hot glue would hold them on really nice.

Why would you glue your pin onto your lanyard? Then you can't trade them or switch them out with others....

Mom to pirate and princess said:

"If we trade for a pin and notice later that it has a loose back, we either try to trade that one away soon or swap that back with the next one to be traded to get rid of the loose back as soon as possible."

Not cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter