Pin Trading

abidale

DIS Veteran
So I have tons and tons of pins, and I've always wanted to get into trading, but I have a slight problem. I CAN'T BRING MYSELF TO GIVE THEM AWAY! I really need to buy a starter set to trade with that I won't mind trading. So, what are your pin trading tips and secrets?

So I have tons and tons of pins, and I've always wanted to get into trading, but I have a slight problem. I CAN'T BRING MYSELF TO GIVE THEM AWAY! I really need to buy a starter set to trade with that I won't mind trading. So, what are your pin trading tips and secrets?

I always buy a set that I plan to trade. I make sure I know that I will trade them, not keep them. I also tell myself that I will buy plenty of amazing pins to keep. Just get a set of the cheapest kind you can get, usually about $15 I think for like 6 pins, and trade them. But don't get sets that you can't see the pins, because then you may like the pins like I did once.

I always buy a set that I plan to trade. I make sure I know that I will trade them, not keep them. I also tell myself that I will buy plenty of amazing pins to keep. Just get a set of the cheapest kind you can get, usually about $15 I think for like 6 pins, and trade them. But don't get sets that you can't see the pins, because then you may like the pins like I did once.

Great thanks! I've always collected pins but never traded so I'm really excited. I'll make sure to do that!

Great thanks! I've always collected pins but never traded so I'm really excited. I'll make sure to do that!

You're welcome! I've done it for years so I'm kind of an expert.. ;) Lol Never trade pins that you buy singles of though. Since they start at least 7 bucks each it's not worth it. Plus, it's really cool when you use one of your $15 set pins and get a pin that is about $10. It's happened a few times to me. Also, keep your eye out wherever you go, because sometimes some people will trade an event pin from the year before or so. I love trading for those. Especially when I miss those events, and end up getting the pin anyway.

You're welcome! I've done it for years so I'm kind of an expert.. ;) Lol Never trade pins that you buy singles of though. Since they start at least 7 bucks each it's not worth it. Plus, it's really cool when you use one of your $15 set pins and get a pin that is about $10. It's happened a few times to me. Also, keep your eye out wherever you go, because sometimes some people will trade an event pin from the year before or so. I love trading for those. Especially when I miss those events, and end up getting the pin anyway.

That makes sense. So you could end up getting way more than what you paid for in the beginning that's really cool! I'm really excited to trade on my next Disney cruise.

That makes sense. So you could end up getting way more than what you paid for in the beginning that's really cool! I'm really excited to trade on my next Disney cruise.

I've never gone on a Disney cruise so trading on one would be an amazing experience. Let me know how it goes! <3 Maybe one day we'll meet up in Disney and trade! Lol!

I don't go back until next summer though. :/

I can't imagine pin trading on a cruise, that would mean NO daily trips to the pin store in DTD to stock up on starter sets to trade away:rotfl2:

But on a serious note, buy starter sets of pins you won't want to keep and it makes trading them alot easier to part with them.

I cruise alot but not on DCL, do the gift shops on board stock trading pins? If not, then you will want to buy some sets before you go on the cruise. I find that we never have enough at the parks.........thus the daily trips to the Pin Store! My last trip I bought a bunch of starter sets on Ebay to use, just don't buy "lots" of pins for a small dollar amount, they will probably be scrappers! All the pins I bought were in the original packaging with the price tags still on them, I limit myself to $2-$3 per pin when I make a bid. If the bids go higher than that, I give up, and wait for a week or so and the same type of sets will be back on Ebay so I try again.

Every summer we get a set of fifty trading pins off of eBay. We sort out them and keep any we want to keep, then keep the rest to trade. We always have plenty to trade! Hope this helped :)

I can't imagine pin trading on a cruise, that would mean NO daily trips to the pin store in DTD to stock up on starter sets to trade away:rotfl2:

But on a serious note, buy starter sets of pins you won't want to keep and it makes trading them alot easier to part with them.

I cruise alot but not on DCL, do the gift shops on board stock trading pins? If not, then you will want to buy some sets before you go on the cruise. I find that we never have enough at the parks.........thus the daily trips to the Pin Store! My last trip I bought a bunch of starter sets on Ebay to use, just don't buy "lots" of pins for a small dollar amount, they will probably be scrappers! All the pins I bought were in the original packaging with the price tags still on them, I limit myself to $2-$3 per pin when I make a bid. If the bids go higher than that, I give up, and wait for a week or so and the same type of sets will be back on Ebay so I try again.

They actually do stock pins! You can get individual ones or starter packs, luckily. Not as big as a variety but a good start! I'll have to try eBay, thanks!

Every summer we get a set of fifty trading pins off of eBay. We sort out them and keep any we want to keep, then keep the rest to trade. We always have plenty to trade! Hope this helped :)

That's smart! On eBay you could get pretty good deals I bet! I'll probably do that I love pins haha, thanks!

They actually do stock pins! You can get individual ones or starter packs, luckily. Not as big as a variety but a good start! I'll have to try eBay, thanks!

That's smart! On eBay you could get pretty good deals I bet! I'll probably do that I love pins haha, thanks!

My dad gets me and my brothers a set of like 100 random pins.

My dad gets me and my brothers a set of like 100 random pins.

Do you end up trading all of them?

Oh also: when you're trading, do the Cast Members really care what you trade for, or will they sometimes pretty much just say no?

Oh also: when you're trading, do the Cast Members really care what you trade for, or will they sometimes pretty much just say no?

It's against the rules for a Cast Member to say no, but you can only trade for two pins per Cast Member

Yeah, we trade almost all of them. They never say no. Ever. The only people who ever say no are the people who have those huge book thingees.

Hii! I've been pin trading since I was 6? My main tip is always try to pin trade in the morning, so that you have the first pick. By the middle of the day, a lot of the cast members' lanyards are filled with starter sets and other various crappy pins because everybody has the same idea to trade crappy pins for good pins.

Hii! I've been pin trading since I was 6? My main tip is always try to pin trade in the morning, so that you have the first pick. By the middle of the day, a lot of the cast members' lanyards are filled with starter sets and other various crappy pins because everybody has the same idea to trade crappy pins for good pins.

I would never had thought of that! Thanks so much! ill definitely do that!

Not necessarily. I've actually gotten some of my best pins in the afternoon.

Ooh, and I almost never go by a CM without seeing their lanyard. If I don't see the lanyard then I usually ask if I can go talk with them.

I also have this AWFUL feeling I get when I walk up to them and they don't have good ones, it's like I don't wanna hurt feelings by saying 'I don't see anything, but thank you!' and then have them think that means 'Your pins stink I'm leaving now' but then I know that they aren't the CM's pins they get them from wherever they get them so I usually just trade for another trader.

I am so weird :p

I used to be into pin trading at WDW a lot when I was younger, but not so much anymore. What I would do is but a lot on eBay of random ones, for cheap. Most of them weren't good ones, and those are ones I would trade with cast members! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter