Pin Trading

I started out buying a few pins for dd to trade and somehow i got addicted-lol! We collect pins we like and only trade with cast members. I collected the disney stick family not sure what the actual name is. I got the mom, dad, daughter, son but couldnt find the baby uugh! Theses were collected in wdw- whoo hoo! My next trip to disneyland I hope to find the baby. I'll have to check ebay for pin to buy so i have lots to trade

Ok, so here is a question for you. Why would someone sell real pins for less than they sold for in the parks? It seems like a loss. How do the sellers who sell real pins get them and why are they selling them? One of my sons decided he wants to collect pins and has been looking on ebay so that made me wonder.

Well I hate to tell you both this but at these prices the pins you are buying are almost 100% guaranteed to be scrappers...in other words fake pins. The CM's will take them and then someone else will get the scrappers in trade. :( This is not good advice. However someone else provided the same link I have in my signature and that thread has tons of very very good advice. :) That thread has a list of good eBay sellers, people who do not sell scrappers and who do not charge an arm and a leg for their pins. :) I have a family of 4 traders, I buy pins from eBay to trade but I don't buy from scrapper sellers or from sellers who I think might be selling scrappers, instead I buy from sellers I trust (and yes I bought scrappers before I knew what they were and I still do sometimes to "test" a seller for future purchases) and trade those pins. I still pay less then I would buying from DL, on average my traders cost me $3 or so a pin, and they are legit, not scrappers so I can be confident what I'm trading is a good pin. :)

As for "professional" traders, at times DBF and I would stand at the tables with our book to trade, we did it mostly when the girls were off riding rides or when we just wanted/needed a quick break. All traders that stand at the tables are not out to "shark" you, some of us are genuinely nice people who just enjoy a good trade, so start with CM's but don't be afraid to talk with other traders as well. If someone rubs you wrong or you feel uncomfortable just walk away, but know that there are quite a few of us who do it for fun but still use the tables to display our available pins. :)

last trip to wdw we bought 2-3 packs of pins at around $26-28 per pack ouch!

Dh just ordered a lot of 20 for $16.50. First time ordering pins from ebay .

To those that buy pins from ebay whats a good price per pin?

Ok, so here is a question for you. Why would someone sell real pins for less than they sold for in the parks? It seems like a loss. How do the sellers who sell real pins get them and why are they selling them? One of my sons decided he wants to collect pins and has been looking on ebay so that made me wonder.

Usually they are people who have loads and loads of pins and will list "extras" on eBay, or they are people who also purchase traders (good traders) from eBay so they don't feel they are losing $$ by selling on eBay for less then retial. Also people get pins on clearance or sale for about $3 a pin, use those as traders and then sell the pins they get in trade on eBay. There are a lot of ways people can get them for less then retail.

last trip to wdw we bought 2-3 packs of pins at around $26-28 per pack ouch!

Dh just ordered a lot of 20 for $16.50. First time ordering pins from ebay .

To those that buy pins from ebay whats a good price per pin?

I tend to pay at last $3 a pin for traders, sometimes more. My best advice is to seriously read the thread in my signature. it's very helpful and there is a list of eBay sellers as well. :)

I got my pins today, the all look perfectly fine to me. There were even a few that I had purchesed for over $7 retail at Disney.

bottome line for me is I can get them cheap on ebay, I keep the ones we like and trade the rest with cast members for others that we like.

Works just fine for me.

My DS's are in to pin trading, except that they are now wanting to start keeping most of the pins, so yes, it can get very expensive. I have them sort out which ones they really want to keep and we put them in our binder, and we reload our lanyards for the park each day. As I an pushing our double stroller around, they will ask if we can stop for pin trading as we are going from ride to ride. It adds more excitement and fun to the trips.

Kimberly

Buy them bulk.

I am currently waiting for a batch of 100 that I got for 64 bucks. Of those, we usually find about 5 to 10 that we like enough to keep.

64 cents a pin puts them right in my price range :)

I got my pins today, the all look perfectly fine to me. There were even a few that I had purchesed for over $7 retail at Disney.

bottome line for me is I can get them cheap on ebay, I keep the ones we like and trade the rest with cast members for others that we like.

Works just fine for me.

At 64 cents / pin you are almost certainly getting fake Disney pins, aka, "scrappers."

The best I have ever been able to get real pins for are around $2.75/pin (and sadly, that seller is no longer selling pins).

Good "scrappers" look and feel like real pins, unless you know what you are looking for to identify that they are fake. That's the most aggravating part. The pins appear to be legit at first glance until you really learn what you are looking for - then you realize they are fakes. Most CMs (unless they are collectors themselves) probably accept a few fakes throughout the day because 1) they may not realize it's a fake if it's a good one and 2) unless they are 100% certain, they are in a very difficult position to say to someone, "You are trading me a fake pin."

I sincerely hope the pins you received are genuine, but at the price you got them, it seems very highly unlikely. (The only time I have seen genuine pins being sold for less than a dollar/pin was when they were being offered in a lot of close to 1,000 pins.)

- Dreams

Ok, so i have some from ebay that i got cheap... how do i tell if they are bad? And wil the CM's still trade or harass my son.

also can my son just have them in his pocket or do they have to be on a lanyard?

I'm really looking forward to getting my son started with trading soon. Thanks to everyone who has posted here with great info and tips. I had no idea about fake pins before reading this!

Ok, so i have some from ebay that i got cheap... how do i tell if they are bad? And wil the CM's still trade or harass my son.

also can my son just have them in his pocket or do they have to be on a lanyard?

Aww, of course he can have them in his pocket. :goodvibesThe lanyard is just a fun way for him to show them to the world around him. You can keep them anywhere you like. He may find they are a bit awkward for the pocket and want to keep them elsewhere, like in a pocket of a backpack, for example.

As for whether or not CMs will trade with you son if you have fakes, the answer is: almost for sure. For a few reasons.
1. They may not know they are fakes unless they are collectors.
2. They would not want to confront your son in case they are wrong.
3. They know that in MANY cases the trader has no clue they have fakes.

For the above reasons, it is often possible to get a fake from a CM lanyard.

Now for the most difficult of your questions: How to tell if they are bad

It's not easy. Here's a few tips:
1. The Mickey pattern on the back. On the newer pins, there is a repeating Mickey pattern on the back. It should run off the edge of the pin, not end nice and neatly at the edges. If it DOES end perfectly as the edges, it's probably a fake. The only problem here is that older pins do not have the "wallpaper Mickey" on the back.

2. Weight. Get used to holding one pin in your hand just loosely. Fakes often feel just too light. Yes, once you have gotten used to holding a single pin, you can tell.

3. This one is tough. If you KNOW the pins you are trading for, one of the key signs of a fake is that the colors are slightly wrong. This is a tough one if you are trading for pins you have never seen before. Examples of this can be found online if you run a search.

The best way to learn about fakes is to do some research. Because of the DISBoard rules against posting links to external sites, I can't put links up, but if you run a Google search for "How to spot a fake Disney pin?" or something similar, you will find a LOT of information.

- Dreams

Works just fine for me.

And then you're putting your fake pins on lanyards so those who pay more for their pins are getting fakes in return. NOT a nice way to play. Bottom line is people that have this attitude are the ones who are putting all the scrappers out there and making it harder for others to fight the scrapper sellers. I get my pins on eBay as well but I don't buy scrappers!!!! And I do educate myself on how to determine scrappers on eBay and I avoid those sellers. Again I pay about $3 per pin on average, with 4 traders sure I'd love to not have my conscience telling me I'm doing the wrong thing but I just can't do it so I pay more to get the real thing. So yes I get upset when I get a scrapper in return.

He can carry them however he wants to, but you might find he wants a lanyard to keep them on. :) My girls sometimes don't want to wear their lanyards so they will carry them in their backpacks, when we put them in our bags to carry for the day (we always have extras on hand in our park bags) we put them in small plastic baggies and then we put those small baggies in bigger baggies, it keeps them from getting scratched up when they rub on each other. :)

the CM's will not turn down a trade with your DS, but what happens with those scrappers is someone else sees them and trades for them. So you unknowingly trade a scrapper, I see and I trade for it, now I have a scrapper but don't know it, I will then either keep it for my collection or trade it again. many CM's don't know anything about pins, those that do will probably take the pin you give and put it in their pocket because they know it's bad but they will not deny your son a trade. It's up to you to decide what to do, personally I would follow the link in my signature or go to the Collector Board to find out how you can tell if what you got is fake or not, I would then contact the seller and ask to return the pins (if I felt they were fake) or I would simply keep them and repurpose them but I would not trade them. The link in my signature gives a list of eBay sellers that the people who "run" that thread have good experiences with, check it out, you might be surprised. :)

I tend to pay at last $3 a pin for traders, sometimes more. My best advice is to seriously read the thread in my signature. it's very helpful and there is a list of eBay sellers as well. :)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=38198254&posted=1#post38198254

Thanks Pixie wings.

Here's a cautionary tale. I had a friend who was in the US for the summer. He found a site to buy Nikes strait from China. I told him the site wasn't real, it wasn't made by an American because the English was on par for a 7 year old. I told him no way would he be getting Nikes.
He assured me it was a reseller that got Nikes from the factory and then sells them over the internet. Besides they were only $25 bucks for a pair of Jordans what would it hurt.
When he got the shoes he thought they were really nice. So I got a two year old pair of Nikes I had and showed him that my old shoes had better stiching still than the new ones he just got. I asked him if he was worried his would fall apart. He said he was going to buy 50 more pairs.
He was going to sell them in the Eastern Block and everybody would expect they were fake anyway but he could get $50 for these knockoff luxury shoes.

So when you find pins for 50 or 60 cents, don't fool yourself into thinking you are getting a bargain.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=38198254&posted=1#post38198254

Thanks Pixie wings.

Here's a cautionary tale. I had a friend who was in the US for the summer. He found a site to buy Nikes strait from China. I told him the site wasn't real, it wasn't made by an American because the English was on par for a 7 year old. I told him no way would he be getting Nikes.
He assured me it was a reseller that got Nikes from the factory and then sells them over the internet. Besides they were only $25 bucks for a pair of Jordans what would it hurt.
When he got the shoes he thought they were really nice. So I got a two year old pair of Nikes I had and showed him that my old shoes had better stiching still than the new ones he just got. I asked him if he was worried his would fall apart. He said he was going to buy 50 more pairs.
He was going to sell them in the Eastern Block and everybody would expect they were fake anyway but he could get $50 for these knockoff luxury shoes.

So when you find pins for 50 or 60 cents, don't fool yourself into thinking you are getting a bargain.

We find some we like, we trade for others we like, they cost us 64 cents this time. Sorry, that's a bargin in my book, and I don't have to fool myself into thinking so in any way.

Aww, of course he can have them in his pocket. :goodvibesThe lanyard is just a fun way for him to show them to the world around him. You can keep them anywhere you like. He may find they are a bit awkward for the pocket and want to keep them elsewhere, like in a pocket of a backpack, for example.

As for whether or not CMs will trade with you son if you have fakes, the answer is: almost for sure. For a few reasons.
1. They may not know they are fakes unless they are collectors.
2. They would not want to confront your son in case they are wrong.
3. They know that in MANY cases the trader has no clue they have fakes.

For the above reasons, it is often possible to get a fake from a CM lanyard.

Now for the most difficult of your questions: How to tell if they are bad

It's not easy. Here's a few tips:
1. The Mickey pattern on the back. On the newer pins, there is a repeating Mickey pattern on the back. It should run off the edge of the pin, not end nice and neatly at the edges. If it DOES end perfectly as the edges, it's probably a fake. The only problem here is that older pins do not have the "wallpaper Mickey" on the back.

2. Weight. Get used to holding one pin in your hand just loosely. Fakes often feel just too light. Yes, once you have gotten used to holding a single pin, you can tell.

3. This one is tough. If you KNOW the pins you are trading for, one of the key signs of a fake is that the colors are slightly wrong. This is a tough one if you are trading for pins you have never seen before. Examples of this can be found online if you run a search.

The best way to learn about fakes is to do some research. Because of the DISBoard rules against posting links to external sites, I can't put links up, but if you run a Google search for "How to spot a fake Disney pin?" or something similar, you will find a LOT of information.

- Dreams

could you PM me the link?

We really aren't into pin trading that much and I wouldn't pay for him to buy pins. Over the years he has bought 2 or 3, but usually just trades off the promotional pins we get from our package. THis was the first time I bought a few extra pins off ebay because we weren't getting pins with our package as we already had annual passes. I had no idea about fake pins, etc. DH already traded most of them away witih no issues, but it seems they shoudl train CM's about them to remove from their displayed pins to trade?

Anyway, because we aren't collecting for $ purposes I don't care if he gets fake or not as long as it's something he likes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter