Pin Trading?!

KatyTheFairyPrincess

DIS Veteran
I'm a little confused about the whole pin trading thing :confused:

Ok... I don't know anything about it! :laughing:

How do you start? Can you trade with any cast member? Is it only worth doing if you visit regularly? What pins are common? rare?

Thanks in advance x

it's only worth doing if you want to do it. how many times you visit doesn't matter. i think you're setting yourself up for disappointment and frustration if you're only in it based on what's common vs what's not. i'd really recommend rather focusing on a particular type of pin you're looking for and appreciate them for what they are rather than how many of them are there.

on that note, there are open editions which are just created in mass and sold until they decide not to manufacture them anymore. there are limited editions which can range from maybe a few to a few thousand in production size. and there are pins that aren't sold at all but instead released through castmembers.

you might want to familiarize yourself with http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/page?id=getStarted to start though

Pin trading is so much fun. All you need is a lanyard and some pins and your all set.

Their are some cast members that can only trade with kids.

Even if you don't go often it is so worth it. But beware it's addicting.

Hello!

This thread is best for the Collectors Board, so I am moving it over there. Please check the CB for further replies.

Happy planning!

Sorry mod

Thought that board would be full of hard-core pin collectors, who might under-estimate just how in the dark I am about the whole subject.

Come on the pin collectors...

But only the basics please :)

The hard core pin traders hang out at the dizpins forums.

:rotfl2: There might be some truth to that!

We enjoy trading. We bought some trading pins on clearance at the Disney Store, we bought lanyards on our last trip to WDW ($5 each) and off we went! We just trade with cast members. All of the info you need is in the link that bradk posted. Pretty simple.:)

I do caution against buying pins from eBay unless you are REALLY familiar with pins. EBay is riddled with counterfeit pins (we bought quite a few, and they can't be traded). You need to look at the pins on PinPics and know what the pin looks like as well as the information that needs to be stamped on the back. Look for sellers that guarantee "No Scrappers" and make sure they have a return policy listed.

Good luck!:thumbsup2

Welcome to the crazy world of pin trading. Many of us on the collector's board have been bitten (hard) by the pin trading bug, but we are a harmless group.

One of the best references for pins is www.pinpics.com. You can use that site to figure out how rare a pin is by looking at the original edition size or by looking at the ratio of people who want the pin as opposed to the ratio of people trading the pin. It is also marvelous to be able to search for a particular type of pin or character.

My advice is to begin with an idea of what types of pins you wish to collect and stick to it. This hobby/obsession can easily get out of hand if you find that you pretty much want them all!

Most of all, have fun!! We have made so many friends through pin trading that we will cherish for life!

Suzi

Here are some basic tips to getting started:

1) you can trade with any CM that has a pin lanyard in the parks, stores, restaurants, resorts, DTD etc. Green lanyards mean the CM can trade with anyone, yellow means the CM will only trade with kids. Also, some CM's do not wear lanyards around their necks, some have them clipped to their belts.

2) keep it fun, and don't worry too much about how rare a pin is or whats it worth. Collect and trade for what you want and what is valuable to you.

3) basic pin types - rack, limited edition, & hidden mickey/ cast Lanyard

a) rack - the normal pins that can be bought anywhere in WDW.
b) limited edition - can be bought at places in WDW, can be found at special events etc. These are more scarce than normal rack pins and most state limited edition of ## on the back or the pin will indicate it was part of an event. Often referred to as LE's. IE LE250. Limited edition of 250, only 250 made
c) hidden mickey/ cast lanyard - These can only be obtained by trading with CM's and cannot be bought at WDW. They usually have a hidden Mickey on the pin.

4) beware cheap pins like Sedesma, scrappers etc. More info on these can be found at pinpics.com. These do not look as good as pins found at WDW and many do not have a gloss finish and are made of thinner metal.

5) everything that you need to get started can be found at any store or resort at WDW.

6) it doesn't matter how many times you trade. we trade once a year on vacation which makes it even more fun. (we live in Maine)

7) and finally, once you become more familiar with pins, you can find nice trading lots to bring with you to the parks to trade with on e-bay for about $3 a pin. Just make sure that you buy a lot that states/ pictures what you are getting not that you may get some of these.

I guess that's it. Have fun.....:thumbsup2

Disney200700003.jpg

Pin trading is fun. I got started in it in 1998 on my very first trip to the world. At that time I thought it was fun to buy up any pin that was "Limited Edition" now I am to the point that I only collect certain pins.

My certain areas of collection are any pins having to do with DVC, Stitch :stitch: and the Haunted Mansion :hmghost: . I also somtimes snatch a Tinkerbell :tink: pin or two for DD (16) because that is all that she collects. I also sometimes purchase the limited edition AP park pins as they are sometimes some very nice pins.

We travel mostly once a year to the world, sometimes twice. Sadly this last trip in June I did not even take a lanyard, but I did buy some pins. More difficult these days to fly :cloud9: with Pins with the limits to what and how much you can carry on.

The basic idea is just to have fun. When I take a lanyard and feel like wearing it I do trade often with Cast Members. I do however now stay within the boundries of my selected areas of interest.

Outside of this I also collect the Indianapolis Motor Speedway creates for the Indianapolis 500 (I have the pins for every year going back to 1957) and for the Allstate 400 at the Brickyard (I have pins for every year since it started in 1994).

Hope you have fun, I know that my DD and I have fun everytime we go through our pin collections. :)

Pin trading is fun. I got started in it in 1998 on my very first trip to the world. At that time I thought it was fun to buy up any pin that was "Limited Edition" now I am to the point that I only collect certain pins.

My certain areas of collection are any pins having to do with DVC, Stitch :stitch: and the Haunted Mansion :hmghost: . I also somtimes snatch a Tinkerbell :tink: pin or two for DD (16) because that is all that she collects. I also sometimes purchase the limited edition AP park pins as they are sometimes some very nice pins.

We travel mostly once a year to the world, sometimes twice. Sadly this last trip in June I did not even take a lanyard, but I did buy some pins. More difficult these days to fly :cloud9: with Pins with the limits to what and how much you can carry on.

The basic idea is just to have fun. When I take a lanyard and feel like wearing it I do trade often with Cast Members. I do however now stay within the boundries of my selected areas of interest.

Outside of this I also collect the Indianapolis Motor Speedway creates for the Indianapolis 500 (I have the pins for every year going back to 1957) and for the Allstate 400 at the Brickyard (I have pins for every year since it started in 1994).

Hope you have fun, I know that my DD and I have fun everytime we go through our pin collections. :)

Very nice, it's good advice to TRY and stay within a few characters or themes so that you do not get overwhelmed. Notice I emphasized TRY as it is very easy to get carried away.

For us, my wife focuses on Dumbo and Belle, while I ususally get Jessica Rabbit, attraction pins, and the pins for the year we visit. We also get a few random ones thrown in here and there.

party:

We got started on one trip to WDW and love it.....Although we only collect and trade when we are at WDW....Be careful because it is addictive.

In addition to the excellent information you've gotten so far, check out the Official Disney Pin Trading web site at http://www.odpt.com and click on "Getting Started!".

Caution: Pin trading can be addictive.

wow im gonna start. It looks fun and something i can give to my daughter when shes a bit older.
I think im gonna collect her mickey and minnie pins and get some tinkerbell and ariel ones for myself lol...oh what the hell im gonna collect them all lol

We just ordered more of a pin off of ebay that was highly desirable at WDW to trade. It's a Cinderella with a dangling glass slipper and it's about 3 inches long. Every time we showed and offered to trade it, everyone, including the hard core traders at the WDW and the marketplace offered almost anything for them. In fact the CM's made them their special ones, ones they put on the inside and it's a surprise. Trust me, these inside ones are the better ones. We bought 24 last year and I just ordered 24 more for next year. We collect mostly evil pins now. We did collect a little of everything but have decided to stick with evil characters. Can't wait to trade these for some really cool ones again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter