Pin trading tips

Starryjean

Earning My Ears
Hello all,
I'm just back from a WDW trip. I love pin trading but was disappointed this trip. I ended up with several scrappers and upon discovering the huge pin closet at the Downtown Disney pin trading store, could never seem to catch it open! I noticed several pin traders collecting certain hidden Mickey collections to great success and wondered: what do they know that I don't know?!

Which brings me to my thread post, any tips to make pin trading more successful or to tips to collect certain pin lines?

I started collecting and trading pins on my last trip. What do you consider a "scrapper" ? I see some cool sets on Amazon for a good price. I was thinking about picking some up to trade on my next trip but didn't want to be peddling junk.

If you go onto pinpics website they review all pins tell you what to look for in scrappers for each pin and you can see how many people are trading that pin or how many are looking for it. That site has a lot of pin info.

Hello all,
I'm just back from a WDW trip. I love pin trading but was disappointed this trip. I ended up with several scrappers and upon discovering the huge pin closet at the Downtown Disney pin trading store, could never seem to catch it open! I noticed several pin traders collecting certain hidden Mickey collections to great success and wondered: what do they know that I don't know?!

Which brings me to my thread post, any tips to make pin trading more successful or to tips to collect certain pin lines?

Can you share more about the pin closet? I've never heard of it.

In the pin store at downtown Disney there is this big cabinet that gets open at random times and if you are there when it opens you get to trade pins off the board. There is no set times that I heard of its kinda the luck of the draw. There is a thread on here some where that tells you all the places you can trade pins all the guest relations have pin books, there is a pin book in the candy store on main street you have to ask for it, in the rock and roller coaster gift store they have a drum with pins on. You would be surprised all the places to trade pins.

I noticed several pin traders collecting certain hidden Mickey collections to great success and wondered: what do they know that I don't know?!
Hidden Mickey pins are ones that only be obtained by trading with a CM. There are usually multiple designs in a set, so it can take some work to get an entire set. They release different pins (and sometimes the same) at DLR and WDW.
DLR: http://www.disneyparksmerchandise.com/blog/hidden-mickey-pins-disneyland-resort/
WDW: http://www.disneyparksmerchandise.com/blog/hidden-mickey-pins-walt-disney-world-resort/

Look everywhere you can to see if CMs have pins. The common stops are stores, janitorial, and management. You won't see to many ride operators or similar CMs with pins. Check for pin boards at the stores. Guest services (in parks and at the resorts) often have pin books.

I started collecting and trading pins on my last trip. What do you consider a "scrapper" ? I see some cool sets on Amazon for a good price. I was thinking about picking some up to trade on my next trip but didn't want to be peddling junk.
Scrappers, Counterfeits, and Fakes: The second issue is scrappers, counterfeits, and fakes. For some folks this matters, for others it does not. You'll need to decide which camp you are in before you get heavily into pin trading. To the average pin trader, I don't think the difference between a scraper, fake, or counterfeit really matters (because none of these are legitimate pins), but there are slight differences.

Basically a scrapper is a pin that looks legitimate, but is not. It can be a factory overrun (i.e., the factory was contracted to make 1 million, but they made 1.1 million instead) or a pin that has some kind of error that should have been "scrapped". A counterfeit pin is a copy of legitimate pin made by someone that was not authorized by Disney. A fake is a pin design that was never authorized by Disney.

Unfortunately, it's not always easy to tell what pin designs are fake unless you know a lot about pins and what designs have been released. These pins can often look like legitimate designs and may contain all of the markings (e.g., copy right) to look legitimate, but they are not. You'll often be able to tell a scrapper/counterfeit because the colors are weird/off or the back stamp (the copy right) is wrong/missing/damaged. Others say you can tell because they feel "rough" or the edges are sharp/pronounced. Sadly, there is no sure fire way to tell a scrapper/counterfeit. It's worth noting that if you do end up trading with CM, the CM lanyards tend to be filled with scrappers, counterfeits, and (to a less extent) fakes. So if you really dislike scrappers/counterfeit, I would avoid trading with CMs. That's the crux of the argument: those that dislike scrappers/counterfeits feel they cheapen the trading and make it not worthwhile. Those that don't care, tend to say that they like the pin, so it doesn't really matter if it's a scrapper/counterfeit or not (they also say that if you can't tell, does it really matter?). Both points are valid.

I have some I bought during my last trip at rides and shops that where all $5.00 to $12.00 each. I was on Amazon and found 12 of them for around $20.00. They all have the Disney mark and __of__ on the back. But they are a lot smaller in size from the ones that I bought. I'll toss up some pictures in a bit.

The pins on the left where bought at a ride or earned on a tour.

The pins in the center where bought at a resort and came with the Pin Trade lanyard.

The pins on the right came from Amazon.

I just try to have fun trading. It is really a great way to strike up a conversation with a cast member. They are always so helpful giving me pointers or thoughts about things to do and see that I hadn't considered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter