• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pin Trading Newbie Questions

i3utterfli82

Disneyliscious
Last week on our first visit to Disney 2 CMs gave my daughter pins (not trading). One was of piglet, the other says "I'm a PINcess" with some princesses. Inspired by this idea of pin trading I bought her a lanyard but we didn't get around to trading.

We are going back in December and I want to try to trade a few pins for her.

This is brand new to us. How do you know which pins are good to trade for (besides one you like)?

Also how should I gauge which pins to buy in the stores? I know I want the passholders pin (we are one now) and also the "where dreams come true" castle pin.

Is there some sort of guide on which pins are more rare? Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks

There is a pin guide out...not sure what edition at this point, I last purchased mine in Disneyland in 2004. But you can also find all that information on PinPics. My kids and I LOVE to trade pins. I try to collect villian pins...My third daughter has quite a collection of Lion King pins. My second daughter is collecting mainly snow white and dwarf pins. My oldest daughter is focused on eeyore and Pooh pins. My youngest is currently collecting princess pins...and mainly Aurora. She loves sleeping Beauty. The point is...to collect pins that YOU want. Either to finish a set...or just because they are cool pins. There are pins that are worth more...sure...Limited Edition Pins...Cast Member Pins....and such..but the reality of it is...a pin...is worth a pin...supposed to be traded straight across. My kids treat pin trading as a treasure hunt. Just one more level of fun to the excitment of disney. Before we go to disneyland...we stop in Vegas in the outlet store and can usually purchase pins for around $2.50. They use these "traders" to trade for pins that they want. You can also purchase "lots" of pins on ebay...just make sure you are not purchasing Sedesma pins as they may not be tradeable. good luck and happy trading!!!

I cannot agree more with dsnylvr. We trade for FUN. always one pin for one pin. Don't get caught up in what is more valuable or rare- just look for what you like! Of course there are obvious value issues... You know you paid $12 instead of $8 for a 3D pin and your child wants to trade it for an obviously lower priced pin. It's actually a good way to teach you children good negotiating skills and value BUT you start looking for things based on their value rather than what you like then this all becomes less fun. I find the best thing to do is follow the disney pin trading guidelines. Of course it's fun to obtain rare pins but Cast lanyard pins are becoming more available and they are selling more LE pins so don't get caught up in all that. Just have fun and get pins you LOVE.
Hope you guys have an awesome time pin trading!!
...t.

Always assume the pins will have no worth except to you...so trade for what you love!

is there a way to get pins where you live, i want to get some before i leave on Saturday. Please help.

My son has recently started collecting/trading pins, and I have a few questions too.

What makes a pin "untradable", and why?

Someone mentioned Disney pin trading guidelines, where do I find these?

Aidensmom said:
My son has recently started collecting/trading pins, and I have a few questions too.

What makes a pin "untradable", and why?

Someone mentioned Disney pin trading guidelines, where do I find these?

So long as the pin has a Disney trademark on the back it is tradeable (e.g. you can't trade Hard Rock Cafe pins) There are pins made in Europe by two companies Sedesma (?) and Propins. You could run into some CMs who won't trade with those. But most CMs will bend over backwards to please a child.

The trading guidelines are on I believe in the FAQ sticky post at the top of this forum page.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter