• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pin Trading - is it worth...

RoseBug

<font color=royalblue>I'm a Geordie, we don't own
... buying the odd LE pin just for trading in DLP?

I really don't understand Pin Trading tbh!

My friend managed to get me a Belle one this morning for DD! :thumbsup2

I don't get pin trading either - my DD has loads of pins on her lanyard but she wouldn't part with any of them, even when offered by CMs in the parks :goodvibes.

Dating bother paying over the odds for LE pins if you just want to trade them. Just get the cheapest ones you can. :)

Then you won't mind trading. :)

You definitely don't need LE pins for trading with cast members, no. The UK stores used to do a non limited pin series called "core pins" - some stores still have some. If you can get those that's more than enough.

The only place where you will need LE pins is a special pin board that's sometimes coming out at Harringtons. That one has a section with LE pins where you can only trade LE for LE.

Rosebug if you think your daughter would enjoy pin trading with some of the CMs the best thing to do is to wait til you get there and get a starter set. You will get a lanyard and about 6/8 pins. These will be doubled up and the idea is that you swap the spare one with a CM wearing a lanyard.

They are meant to swap any pin they are displaying with you as long as its worth the same amount (eg you cant swap a normal pin for an LE one)

DD did this one trip and really enjoyed doing it but now we just buy pins that we like or mean something to keep ourselves. (We have loads now :rolleyes1)

But as other people have said definitely done buy extra LE ones just to trade as you may find you cant find another LE one to trade for.

As you know in the States we have lanyards and tons of pins. I have collected several complete sets. I brought my lanyards to DLP and found that they were not excited to trade but rather matter of fact. I only found one pin to trade as I just wanted to say we had traded in DLP.

As already stated, it is not like WDW or DL and that goes for all aspects of DLP.

I personally love trading in the parks but you have to know what you are looking for as you can end up with scrapper pins. The main difference between DLRP and WDW is anyone can trade with any CM, there are no different coloured lanyards specifically for children to trade.

I love pin trading :goodvibes:

I started in 2006 I think, having resisted because I just never had enough spending money to really justify starting. But we have about 4 lanyards full of pins traded from specific parks.

What you get out of it depends on the person, serious collectors might choose to focus on certain sets or characters. Others collect pins based on what they like design-wise and the memories those pins generate.

Personally I collect Pins because I always enjoy trading in the parks, it's fun peeking at CM's pin lanyards while waiting and finding a gem here and there, plus CM's always have special "Hidden Mickey" or "Cast Member Exclusive" Pins that can only be officially gained from a CM trade (or unofficially, ebay)

The best way to gain in trading is to buy pins online, get a bunch of cheap ones based on something Disney that your not that keen on, so you don't feel too bad about trading, and stock those up for the next trip. For example; last week I got a set of Club Penguin Puffles, because I'll be more than happy to trade those : ). Don't buy pins at Disney unless you REALLY like them, they cost a mint in the parks and much as I love them, I have to pick and choose what I want

On the flip side, there are pins that simply mean too much to me to EVER trade - the Wall-E set my DBF brought me, the special Year of a Million Dreams pins from WDW ect.

Thanks for sharing your expertise about pin trading at DLP! We are big pin traders, my son in particular. He collects Chip 'n' Dale pins. I collect Maleficient and I tend to like the Hidden Mickeys and also look for unique pins that catch my eye. It's nice to know that we'll be able to do some trading there too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter