Pin Trading at Disneyland?

I found trading goes up and down at both DLR and WDW. I've also noticed many CM's at park stores using pin trading albums kept behind the counter instead of lanyards. So you have to ask them if they have pins rather than just looking for the CM's wearing lanyards. These books often had far more than you could ever put on a lanyard so selection was good.

We just went last week for the first time, we all loved pin trading and my husband really love it :) we bought quite a few of the starter sets for 15.99 and used those to trade away, we were spending the money anyways so it worked for us, we cant wait to get back to disney

I pin trade at DLR and enjoy it. I hope to be able to pin trade at WDW in 2012 when I go on my first trip to WDW!

You can also get starter sets - 7-8 pins for $30 (mini pins) so price per pin isn't too bad (especially if you have a premium AP and can get 20% off).

Funny how our taste in pins varies from year to year! I went through a villain stage, a Nightmare before Xmas stage, a Tink stage (still), Princesses, "cuties", side kicks etc. I dont plan my phase, it's just whatever inspires me that trip.

I'm kind of excited to load up our lanyards with "traders" (leaving the "keepers" at home). Especially magical with a new lil guy going with us and his daddy. I can't wait to see what pins everyone in our group will gravitate towards. :cloud9:

Locking pin backs save a lot of heartache....losing a special pin stinks!

Thanks for the ebay info, Pixie wings! I've gotten some "crap" before! Like they say Disney on the back, but they feel like plastic or cheap. Can't trade those.

My neice and nephew did it when we were there last week, they loved it. I think I will get my DDs some starter packs next time we go, it looked like fun for the kids (I wouldn't do it as an adult but that sort of thing doesn't really interest me) there were a lot of traders I saw!

And they do sell the locking backs, I saw them in all the stores I looked that sold a bigger selection of pins and lanyards.

Funny how our taste in pins varies from year to year! I went through a villain stage, a Nightmare before Xmas stage, a Tink stage (still), Princesses, "cuties", side kicks etc. I dont plan my phase, it's just whatever inspires me that trip.

I'm kind of excited to load up our lanyards with "traders" (leaving the "keepers" at home). Especially magical with a new lil guy going with us and his daddy. I can't wait to see what pins everyone in our group will gravitate towards. :cloud9:

Locking pin backs save a lot of heartache....losing a special pin stinks!

Thanks for the ebay info, Pixie wings! I've gotten some "crap" before! Like they say Disney on the back, but they feel like plastic or cheap. Can't trade those.

No problem. :) I'm happy if it was able to help you. :) I like to take the "crap" pins and use them other things, we have a message cork board in the kitchen, I've got a bunch of scrappers I'm using as push pins for that, I also use them for decorating, I have a Nemo picture in the girls bathroom, I have a bunch of Nemo pins around that and they are all scrappers, but i'd rather the scrappers be in the bathroom than "good" pins. :) I've also seen a bunch of people who cut the post off and glue on a magnet so they have cute fridge magnets. :)

My neice and nephew did it when we were there last week, they loved it. I think I will get my DDs some starter packs next time we go, it looked like fun for the kids (I wouldn't do it as an adult but that sort of thing doesn't really interest me) there were a lot of traders I saw!

And they do sell the locking backs, I saw them in all the stores I looked that sold a bigger selection of pins and lanyards.

I didn't think I'd like it either....but you should see my collection now! LOL

I have no problems with adults collecting pins, but please do not try and approach my kids and trade with them. If we want them to trade with anyone it will be with cast members. We don't care the value of the pin and our kids don't either.

I like to take the "crap" pins and use them other things, we have a message cork board in the kitchen, I've got a bunch of scrappers I'm using as push pins for that, I also use them for decorating, I have a Nemo picture in the girls bathroom, I have a bunch of Nemo pins around that and they are all scrappers, but i'd rather the scrappers be in the bathroom than "good" pins. :) I've also seen a bunch of people who cut the post off and glue on a magnet so they have cute fridge magnets. :)

Magnets are a great idea! I gave my girls the scrappers to put on lanyards for their dolls. Most have been destroyed already. LOL! They've been told straight out that they can not trade the fake pins and the couple that end up on their lanyards have locked backs so that there is no chance of them going astray.

As for trading, I like it and the girls do, too. Last trip dd2 traded with a little girl and I traded with her mom. LOL! i wouldn't ask a kid to trade, but will trade mine with a kid if I have something they really want. I've also told my girls that if they see a pin the want but don't have something to trade they can take mine.

IMO its part of the magic of Disneyland and I'm going to do all I can to keep it alive.

So when you trade with a cast member, you get to pick which pin you give up, and which one you want off their lanyard?

And green is only for kids. Check.

I have no problems with adults collecting pins, but please do not try and approach my kids and trade with them. If we want them to trade with anyone it will be with cast members. We don't care the value of the pin and our kids don't either.

I've never "approached" a child to trade, usually the kids approach us to see our pins, we usually have a large pin bag with loads of traders in it because we love to trade. We trade with kids and adults as well as with CM's and you know what...I don't care what the "value" of a pin is either, we generally trade Hidden Mickey for Hidden Mickey, LE 1000 for LE1000 and so on....please do not assume that just because we enjoy trading we are out to rip anyone's kids off, we ENJOY trading and yes, if we are in line together and your kids have pins I will probably ask to see them, it's a fun way to pass the time and about 90% of the time I'll have something the kid wants and they'll have nothing I want, but I trade anyway because it's fun. :) I very much enjoy looking at others pins but as far as I can remember I've never initiated a trade with a child, I've done countless trades but to the best of my memory all were intiated by the kids not me, and I always tell them to make sure it's OK with their PARENTS before we do a trade. I know how frustrating it is to get your kid a really nice pin and then they trade it away like it's nothing.....it's very frustrating.

Not all pin traders are bad, it makes me crazy that a few over zealous traders make it harder on the rest of us who just want to have fun with it. :)

Magnets are a great idea! I gave my girls the scrappers to put on lanyards for their dolls. Most have been destroyed already. LOL! They've been told straight out that they can not trade the fake pins and the couple that end up on their lanyards have locked backs so that there is no chance of them going astray.

As for trading, I like it and the girls do, too. Last trip dd2 traded with a little girl and I traded with her mom. LOL! i wouldn't ask a kid to trade, but will trade mine with a kid if I have something they really want. I've also told my girls that if they see a pin the want but don't have something to trade they can take mine.

IMO its part of the magic of Disneyland and I'm going to do all I can to keep it alive.

For their dolls! How CUTE! I love that. :) I should suggest it my girls for their Build a Bear animals...they have TONS of them! LOL :) I always tell my kids the same thing, if I have something someone wants for something the kids want then as long as I think it's a good trade we are golden. :)

One of my favorite pin trading memories was the 4 of us were leaving Toon Town, there was a "suit" walking towards TT with an older lady (his Mom) and 2 little girls (his DD's), he had pins so we asked to see them, he didn't have anything I wanted so I knelt down and started talking to the little girls, I'd seen one of them eyeing my lanyard, she said to me "may I see your pins please?" and I said "of course!" and held the lanyard out so she could see them better, she said "I really like this one" and pointed to one, it was a harder to find pin with one of the Princesses on it, it wasn't a favorite and was in fact a trader so I said "well, I could trade that to you because this one is for trading." her little face lit up so fast and she was nodding and reaching for a pin, her Dad said "oh honey, that pin isn't as good as the one you're asking for, make sure you give her a good pin." she looked a little worried and I said "oh no, you pick any pin on your lanyard and make sure it's OK with your Daddy and then if he says yes we can make the trade." she lit up again and said "Daddy, is this one OK?" Her Dad said to me "it's OK, you don't have to trade with her, I know the pin she wants is one that's harder to come by now, it's older, she doesn't have anything "worth" what yours is worth." I said "the worth comes from the reward and the feeling of sharing the happiness with your DD, if this is the pin she wants, it's the pin she gets, this is simply a trader, it's not one I need and I really want her to have it." He actually got a little choked up and said "ok honey, you give her whatever pin you want to give her." So we traded, she got a nice LE and I got a rack pin, but what counted was the look on her little face (she was like 4 or 5 and so cute!) and the feeling I got from giving her a pin she really liked and wanted. I was very satisfied with my uneven trade, it really made my day!! And then I had to trade her little sister of course, she was probably 2 and just as cute as could be...I have no idea what she and I traded but it was a good trade for me. :) And her Dad was very grateful and gave us lots of Thanks for trading with his little girls. :) After we did our trade she also saw the lanyards my girls were wearing and the lanyard DBF was wearing as well, I think she traded with all of us to be honest, but I know when we were leaving she said to her Gma, "please hold this pin so I don't lose it" and it was the pin she and I had traded for. :)

So when you trade with a cast member, you get to pick which pin you give up, and which one you want off their lanyard?

And green is only for kids. Check.

When you trade with a CM you can pick the pin you give them yes, but if they already have that pin on their lanyard then they are likely to ask you to pick a different pin. And yes, the teal colored lanyards are for kids only. :) Most of the CM's with the teal lanyards will also have a hang tag that says the lanyard is for kids only. :)

What a great story!

I can't count the number of times things like that have happened for my girls and I'm determined to pay it forward.

The first time, we were at the wishing well in Snow White's Grotto and they had used all of my change for wishes. Shira sighs and says, "I wish I had a penny," and a lady walked over and gave one to her! The look on her face and the ladies was golden and even now she remembers it and mentions it when we are at the grotto. She's five and this happened almost two years ago!

When people tell me that they don't "get" Disneyland I tell them that they have to go back to when they were a kid and everything was possible just because you wanted it. As long as you take that attitude when you walk through the gates you will understand.

I am looking forward to my 5 day trip in April. Am hoping to get in some good pin trading while there. I have been doing a TON of online pin trading and OCD doesn't even cover it. :surfweb:

I have purchased some silver backs that you pinch/squeeze around the pin post. These backs won't damage the post like the "wrench" type have the potential to do. I purchased them through ebay. disneypatriot

Thank you for sharing about complaining if the CM's don't have lanyards on. I was down at DLR for a last min day trip in Feb and I think I saw max 10 CM's with lanyards on! I was so disappointed, but since just a day trip, it wouldn't have made a difference if they were wearing them the next day or not.

:confused3

I am not a Pin Trader, but have collected some that I liked.

Today.... I was amazed at the frantic Pin Traders at DLR today.

On line I got one of the 100 Group 1 wristbands for the Alice in Wonderland 60th Pin Limited Edition Sale. This allowed me to purchasing everything available, and two of most items.

We stood in line for 1-1/2 hours in the old underground que for the People Mover. It was great fun talking to these crazy people.
Several flew in from back east just for this event! They had large lists of wants and trades. The girl with her mother next to me was well know by the others, but could not bring in her trading pins into the park because her bag of pins was too big!!!

Outside the event were traders wanting to trade (or buy) pins. One women who did not get a wrist band, drove down from Sacramento, was hoping that someone would let her buy the $200 set.

AMAZING......

:confused3

I am not a Pin Trader, but have collected some that I liked.

Today.... I was amazed at the frantic Pin Traders at DLR today.

On line I got one of the 100 Group 1 wristbands for the Alice in Wonderland 60th Pin Limited Edition Sale. This allowed me to purchasing everything available, and two of most items.

We stood in line for 1-1/2 hours in the old underground que for the People Mover. It was great fun talking to these crazy people.
Several flew in from back east just for this event! They had large lists of wants and trades. The girl with her mother next to me was well know by the others, but could not bring in her trading pins into the park because her bag of pins was too big!!!

Outside the event were traders wanting to trade (or buy) pins. One women who did not get a wrist band, drove down from Sacramento, was hoping that someone would let her buy the $200 set.

AMAZING......

Dh and I were 2 of the crazy people who came there just for the event over the weekend. He got Group 3. I was not selected. I wanted to get more mystery boxes, but he refused to let me try the 2nd chance line. It was the first time for us to attend a pin event. I felt like I was in the back of a club or something. Walls were all black and dark. The CMs handled the event well, though,and everyone was very nice.

bump - enjoy reading the stories and we will be at DL soon, so I want to learn all I can!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter