• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pin Lanyards and Airport Security

gruZ

Mouseketeer
Any problems getting pins and lanyards through security? Probably a dumb questions, and I'm guessing the answer is "no problem at all," but I'd rather ask than have to find something to do with pins at the airport when a screener says no.

Thanks!

In August, went through, they checked my pin bags,lanyard etc..

Got right through after

Usually we have the big pin book in our checked bags, but for short trips where we don't check bags, we've carried them on with no problems. I had loose pins in my back pack this past trip to CA, and they didn't check it at all- it was x-rayed though. I have a little music box that I keep in my backpack all the time -it plays when you wish upon a star- and that got more scrutiny this last trip!

I was a bit worried at the airport on the way home. I figured that the sharp point might make them contraband, and I wasn't sure whether the rubber back would be enough. We checked all of ours, but bought one last minute (the new Year of a Million Dreams one-it had just arrived and they had just brought it into the store-we were the first to buy it at the Beach Club). We didn't have time to put it in with cheched, and it was still in complete packaging. I put it inbetween my huge wad of brochures, and got through okay.

Some Disney items that I know cause problems:

1. Wine Corks-We got ours at World Traveler, but I am sure that they are in all the kitchen stores. They gave us a very hard time, but we eventually got it on the plane.

2. Those lightup swords that they sold for years, which are now sadly sold dirt cheap at the Character Warehouse, cause issues. We bought them about 7 years ago, after years of buying them without an issue. The bag was going through the X-ray, and it didn't pass the test, so they did a hand search. Of course they were at the very bottom, beneath stuffed animals and clothes. Eventually, they just let us go through, laughing that it was only a light up Disney sword.

I refuse to check my pin book (fear of lost luggage), so it's always in my carry on. I always tell the security folks it's in my bag and ask if they need me to take it out for the x-ray. They always say no. About half the time flying out of various Texas airports, they search the bag just to see what it is. Out of Orlando, I've never had any trouble - they see A LOT of pins going in an out, I've been told more than once. DH had to fly back alone with the pins a few weeks ago because I was staying over for a conference. He flew out of Jacksonville back to Texas. He called me when he got home and said that the TSA guy was astounded because he had never seen that many pins before (and truly, I don't have THAT many compared to many collectors, just one half-full book!) but once DH opened the bag and TSA saw what they were it was no problem.

So, moral of the story is you should be fine!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter