• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pin Experts, please help identify my trades!

Retro Magic

Mouseketeer
20151113_231859.jpg
Just got home today after an incredible little getaway!!! So sad to be home :(

I was going through all my pins and doing my best to identify which of those I traded for were "authentic". After a good couple of hours of research, I unfortunately found some scraps but a number of others have me stumped. Some of these look fully legit to me but when comparing them to others of the same, I'm left thinking I ended up with duds.

Like Kermit, I see most out there have the full green collar. Yet mine and some others I've seen online have some of the tips of his collar with gold shiny tips.

Then there are those like Bernard, Bianca, Cruella, Epcot Ears and Queen of Hearts which look authentic to me, but when I do some photo research, most of these are supposed to have a serial number on the back? I dunno if what I have is scrap/counterfit or if certain batches of these releases differed from one another?

And although it looks perfect, from reading, Jessica Rabbit's star should be gold metal on the back? Mine is silver.

20151113_232037.jpg

20151113_232105.jpg

20151113_232135.jpg

20151113_232203.jpg

20151113_231859.jpg

20151113_231951.jpg

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. It unfortunate how many bad pins end up in the books, boards and cast lanyards.

All information from http://pinpics.com/

Bernard and Bianca
No counterfeit notes. They were released as a 2 part set in 2014, not limited edition , price $13.95 for the set

Timothy Mouse
No counterfeit notes. Dumbo pin from the open edition Character Hats mystery collection from Walt Disney World and Disneyland California, released March 2012 $25.95 for the set

Chip and Dale
Counterfeit notes- Be aware that this pin is being offered for sale directly to pin collectors from a factory in China. As such no one can guarantee the authenticity of this pin. Walt Disney World Hidden Mickey, part of a 4 pin set. Has the stamp 4/4 on the back

Orange Bird
No counterfeit notes. Walt Disney World January 2011 Hidden Mickey Backstamp Reads: Hidden Mickey Pin 4 of 5 2011 Pin Trading Logo ©Disney China Disneyland California December 2007 Hidden Mickey

Goofy Snowman
Counterfeit notes- This pin is being sold on the secondary market and it is being manufactured in Asia and sold to individuals not associated with Disney. No one can guarantee the authenticity of this pin.

Queen of Hearts
No counterfeit notes.Part of Villains mini pin collection, released summer 2010

Jessica Rabbit
The counterfeit version of this pin has a silver metal base. Scrappers say "Disney/Ambin" instead of "Disney/Amblin"

PINPICS WEBSITE NOT LOADING FOR ME, WILL COME BACK AND GET THE REST OF THE INFO LATER

I was a cast member when the Orange bird set was released and the one you pictured looks just like the ones we were issued. I can't speak much on the others however I have learned from collecting myself that the stamps on the backs of the pins have changed quite a bit through the years. It is sometimes difficult to tell if you have a counterfeit or just found a older issue pin. Good luck!

I have the Queen of Hearts and Cruella. They came out of the same booster pack. I believe those are real. The Orange bird, there are a lot of fakes of those, but also a lot of real ones. We have had both of that one and of different ones from that set. It is hard to tell, but it looks from the photo that yours might be real. The edges look smooth and thick from your photo. We've noticed that from the ones we have the real ones have thicker sides than the fakes. The fruit pins are hidden Mickeys from several years ago- 2007 maybe? There are fakes out there of those. If the edges feel rough those are probably fakes. The snowflake on I have seen real and fake of the different characters- and we have wound up with both. The real are typically thicker, but it is hard to tell on those unless you have one of each in your hands. I think there are different versions of that Kermit. There was one in a set from not too long ago that does not have the gold tips, but I think there was also one from several years ago- not sure whether it had tips or not. Is that flaking on the back of the Kermit pin near the edges in some spots? If so, it is probably a fake. It may just be the photo, but Jessica rabbits glove should be purple and it looks silverish in the photo- also her eyelids should have eyeshadow that is kind of purple or lilac. I can't see it in the photo- but again, that may just be the photo.

Last edited:
One of the difficulties I found in trading was that I ended up with fakes that had no known warnings on pin pics. It's a shame, but very tricky to spot as you can't handle them until the point of trading.

I didn't trade a lot, but I did pick pins I loved the design of. They're on display in my home, not handled, so whilst I suspect some of my Orange Bird set pins (he's so cute!) aren't real, they're good enough for display.

It's hard to say whether a pin is fake or not just from photos in many cases. Unfortunately, if the pin is from one of the Hidden Mickey series and didn't come out within the last few weeks, there is a high probability that it is a scrapper. All of the colors look a little off, but I think that's the photo and not the pins themselves (e.g., if the feather on Timothy's hat pure white or yellow-white?). In the end, as long as you like the pin, I wouldn't worry too much about whether it's a scrapper or not. So many of the pins in circulation are, so that if you're trading with CMs (lanyards, boards, books), you're likely to get scrappers.

Dangle pins are rare and have only seen a few , I have one dangle pin in my collection.

We avidly collected pins from 2000 to around 2006. We went to the Contemporary every Friday when they had PTN there, and All Star Sports on Thursday PTN, and also POR/FQ when they had PTN.

Then began to aquire more and more scrappers. That was frustrating. Now we occasionally buy pins at WDW. Only our youngest ds trades off cm lanyards. He doesn't care about value, just what interests him, which usually ends up being scrappers, but pins he cherishes.

Scoop still has his talks and that's the best place to get questions answered when you're at WDW.

I'm going to move this thread to the collector's board.

I ended up getting all of them authenticated and the ONLY real or rather non scrapper ones were Cruella/Henchman, Queen/King of Hearts, Pineapple and Figment :scared:
I guess some are better than nothing. I just had no idea it was so bad. Can take the fun out of it when there are more scrappers than authentic pins when trading at resorts and with cast.

What bothers me most is I purchased pins directly from Disney strictly for trading and this is the outcome :sad2:
At least I've learned a lot more now on how to spot. Even others I've had for years I found out had unpainted details and other noticeable proof of them being scrappers. I know a scrapper is not really a fake, but it's still not how it supposed to be. I'll still trade, but no longer to the extent I have in the past.

I ended up getting all of them authenticated and the ONLY real or rather non scrapper ones were Cruella/Henchman, Queen/King of Hearts, Pineapple and Figment :scared:
I guess some are better than nothing. I just had no idea it was so bad. Can take the fun out of it when there are more scrappers than authentic pins when trading at resorts and with cast.

What bothers me most is I purchased pins directly from Disney strictly for trading and this is the outcome :sad2:
At least I've learned a lot more now on how to spot. Even others I've had for years I found out had unpainted details and other noticeable proof of them being scrappers. I know a scrapper is not really a fake, but it's still not how it supposed to be. I'll still trade, but no longer to the extent I have in the past.

Bummer. Sorry they were almost all fake. The Bernard and Bianca are really cute even if they are fakes, and you just don't find pins of them that often. DD and I each have a few on display on our pin boards at home that we know are fake/scrapper, but we still really like them.

Someone on ebay who is a legit pin seller and collector as well as a former CM. Sent pictures front and back and let me know all the ones that were real and scrapper.

I learned a lot and noticed a lot of errors on my pins I never noticed before.

You were told the pineapple is LEGIT?

I know I'm not pro but one of the ways I've read about and have learned first had is the DIPS in the paint!

Real pins don't have the dips where counterfeits generally do ... at least that's the general idea around all the things I've read and the dips in the paint on the Pineapple are probably some of the worst I have ever personally seen! As it looks like both ears and the greenery. Most of the times you see it in one section of the pin or one color etc... but that one just looks bad!

Not trying to bum you out but Id wager on that being fake!

This tells me DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. It's almost impossible to tell the "real" from "fake." Just trade for the pins you like and don't fret.

On a DCL cruise a CM in a shop indicated there is something that authenticated real and fakes. Is this true?

I use to obsess about the authenticity of my pins. What I started to realize is it didn't matter if they're authentic. What mattered is I loved them. I only trade for what I love. If you love them then enjoy them. :)

The only ones I would assume were scrappers are the Bernard, the Pluto cupcake, and the spaceship earth. Based on the stamping on the back. You can see a subtle boarder. Other that that the others wouldn't be a blip on my radar.

Food for thought. If you got them authenticated by those "professional" pin loonies that hang out by the pin trading booths I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. I think they're very self motivated individuals.

On a DCL cruise a CM in a shop indicated there is something that authenticated real and fakes. Is this true?
I've not heard of any 100%-fool proof way to identify authentic pins from scrappers. I do think some people can identify a fake pin (i.e., a design not authorized by Disney), but that would mean knowing a lot about pins and the various designs that have been released world-wide.

This tells me DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. It's almost impossible to tell the "real" from "fake." Just trade for the pins you like and don't fret.
Yes and no...it means that it can be hard to tell if a pin is a scrapper or not and if you can't tell, then it's not going to be a big deal to you. On the other hand, there are some scrappers out there that are so bad, almost anyone should be able to tell that it's a scrapper and I wouldn't want to trade for it or with it. For example, I saw a Belle in her ballgown pin where the dress was green (it was clearly meant to be the yellow ballgown, but it was green). I've also seen an Ariel pin where Ariel had brown hair (not even red-brown, straight brown).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter