• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Pin Backs?

JeRmS

Mouseketeer
Which aftermarket pin backs are best for Disney Pins?

I went to the local arts & crafts store and picked up some crimp/butterfly style, but they don't fit well and can be slid off just as easy as the rubber one's.

My kids want to start trading but as we put the pins on their lanyards with the rubber backs, they fell right back off.

I've heard people mention using earring backs, anyone else confirm this?

I just buy more black Mickey backs, unless I'm keeping the pin and won't trade it, those go on with locking backs. You can find Mickey backs on eBay, just keep in mind that there are also fake backs...lol

Which is exactly why I'm asking, I'm looking for backs for those pins that we keep.

The rubber Mickey backs are cheap, and the pins fall off the lanyards.
So when the kids trade out I will give a cheap rubber back, and keep our locking back.

Problem is, the locking backs I found at the local arts & crafts store are to big and slide off with ease.

No, Disney sells locking pin backs, those are the ones I use. I don't like the butterfly style because they are really hard for me to take off with my nails, even though they aren't super long it's still really hard for me to squeeze them together to take them off. I've been trading for 6 years and rarely lose pins due to loose back, but I do check them regularly.

I've also used the Disney-sold locking backs and had pretty good luck with those. The one drawback is that they are longer than the rubber backs and hard, so if you smash your lanyard against your chest, it could hurt. I've only lost one pin when using the locking backs and that was due to my negligence and not the back. Just be sure you don't lose the little Allen wrench (otherwise, it's really hard to get the pins off the lanyard).
http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/pin?id=34936

Regarding the rubber Mickey backs, I've had pretty good luck with those, but one trick is to buy many and see how they fit. Some are tighter than others. Also, you might consider "making" a new hole and not using the one that is already there. The new hole (pushed into the back) is tighter because it's not been used or made by a pre-sized machine. Just be careful not to push it through the thin part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter