Pictures of "Open Air Bus", Excursions in St. Thomas or Tortola

aliciamakino

Mouseketeer
Hi All-
Someone mentioned to me that they didn't think doing an excursion at either St. Thomas or Tortola with a 1 yr old would be a good idea. Seems the open air buses over the hilly, rocky terrain is a concern. Does anyone have pictures of these Buses? And/or can speak to the safety level? In St. Thomas we were looking to go to Megan's Bay and in Tortola there are not many options opened for all ages. Perhaps doing the Jost Van Dyke Beach (although I'm not big on hopping out of the boat INTO the water with kids and all our stuff).

Thanks for any feedback/assistance!

I don't have any pics but we rode on these buses on both islands. There were a couple of toddlers on our bus at Tortola. They sat on their parents laps.
Our ride around Tortola was definitely more bumpy and on very curvy roads(we went to the other side of the island, so we had to go on a lot of hills.) I felt safe, but not sure how comfortable I would have been holding a young child on my lap. There were times that other buses were zipping around us, coming really close. Buses making quick stops. The ride on St. Thomas wasn't as bumpy.

I am the parent whose 7 year old is still in a full carseat, not a booster.

That child as a toddler rode on our laps on the "buses". Not a bus, closer to a pick-up with bench seats on the back. (Not quite that bad, but certainly something that would NEVER be seen on the roads here.)

Is it ideal, no.

Did it make me uncomfortable, not really.
I guess part of traveling is recognizing differences in safety standards.

We had a LOVELY time at Megan's bay. Beautiful beach, perfect for our (then) toddler to play in.
Would absolutely do it again.

We took the open air buses, in both St. Thomas and Tortola in November with 3 kids. Opinions on how “safe” you feel with kids will be subjective. While we enjoyed both of our excursions, I don’t think we would do it again with the longer bus rides (on those islands). They’re both very mountainous and the roads are curvy and narrow. Beautiful views, but we felt a little nervous on the rides there and back. I chatted with a few other parents who felt the same, but there were also many other guests who seemed completely comfortable.

I am the parent whose 7 year old is still in a full carseat, not a booster.

That child as a toddler rode on our laps on the "buses". Not a bus, closer to a pick-up with bench seats on the back. (Not quite that bad, but certainly something that would NEVER be seen on the roads here.)

Is it ideal, no.

Did it make me uncomfortable, not really.
I guess part of traveling is recognizing differences in safety standards.

We had a LOVELY time at Megan's bay. Beautiful beach, perfect for our (then) toddler to play in.
Would absolutely do it again.
That's helpful. Thank you! Megan's Bay is a must I think. :)

PS- I'm right there with you, my 5 yr old is still in a full on car seat, too!

We had the same 'buses' that PrincessShmoo posted above for our excursion in Tortola in 2017. My husband and I sat on either end and our two kids (who were 6 & 8 at the time) sat between us.

We had these buses as well and my youngest was 2 at the time. She sat on my lap. Honestly it didn't bother me at all. Maybe I am too lax but honestly didn't bother me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter