Pictures of Disney going Service Animals

Yo, Stitch, you have a great therapy dog. Congratulations on your new dog.

Hugs Nalla and thanks for the photos. Sweet dog you have and so kind of you letting Stitch have a dog to play with.

Hi everyone these picture are wonderful, I was wondering if its not to personal would you mind explaining how the service dogs work. My DD10 has seen them before and asked me why someone had one. I can explain to her about seeing eye dogs but not any other kind. I don't want to give her the wrong information or just make something up. I want her to understand that these dogs are there for a reason. I really appreciate the help. :goodvibes

TIA
Melissa
We are in the process of training a SD for my youngest DD.
The basic answer is that each SD may do different things, based on what the person needs. My DD uses a wheelchair - power outside the house and manual (or push) wheelchair inside. She can't get out of her wheelchair by herself. She also can't talk, but does understand.
In my DD's case, here the things we are working on for the dog to do so far:
  • picking up things that DD drops
  • getting things for DD
  • pushing the button that opens a handicapped door (into a store for example)
  • getting help for DD if she is in her room and needs another person to come
As he learns those things, we will work with the trainer to think of other tasks the dog can do for DD and he will learn those too.
So, his job will be to help her do things that she can't do herself.

We just found out this week that we will be traveling to Orlando in March to do our interview for DD's service dog. :cool1: My DD is so excited! Looks like we may have to drop in on the mouse while we're there! We weren't planning on going to Disney until October, but I guess a long weekend would be okay, too! :cheer2:

My experiences with SD's are at Science Fiction Conventions. Sadly I have no pictures...

Side Note to River's owners...I think I met you at Universal. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DOG! I'm one of the employees there and answered some questions you had about River and the Animal Show.

Ah, I betcha it was us! There were 3 adults and 5 kids in our group. (along with River as well) Did the dog you see have a purple vest on like the one in my picture? I haven't seen another dog with a vest like River's. Anyway, that is neat.

I am really enjoying these pictures! I am also excited about the new SD's that are being paired. I also wanted to mention, anyone who is interested in reading about the work I am doing with service dogs.. please take a peek at my blog.
http://hickorywoodhomeschool.blogspot.com/

Please keep the pictures coming!

:wave2: I was trying to catch up to you to say :wave2: but I got jumped on by a lady with a SD who was telling me that my SD was a fake, and started going on about the law etc. by the time she had finished you where out of sight.
Hopefully I will see you agin.

:wave2: I was trying to catch up to you to say :wave2: but I got jumped on by a lady with a SD will was telling me that SD was a fake, and started going on about the law etc. by the time she had finished you where out of sight.
Hopefully I will see you agin.
That is stereotyping and so not nice. Nalla's dog is different and special but does the same hard work as other service dogs. Sorry you two did not get to meet up. I would have read the lady the riot act then stormed off in a huff.

Love the pictures of Nalla's dog and remembers that service dogs not just employees but are dear friends whom sometimes are silly buffoons. Ohana means family and we always should include family in the fun.

If I had not had a episode the night before (SD saved my life), then I would have given the lady as good as she gave me, but it always takes me a couple of days to get over them.
I'm sure I will run into Nalla again and get to say hi.

We are in the process of training a SD for my youngest DD.
The basic answer is that each SD may do different things, based on what the person needs. My DD uses a wheelchair - power outside the house and manual (or push) wheelchair inside. She can't get out of her wheelchair by herself. She also can't talk, but does understand.
In my DD's case, here the things we are working on for the dog to do so far:
  • picking up things that DD drops
  • getting things for DD
  • pushing the button that opens a handicapped door (into a store for example)
  • getting help for DD if she is in her room and needs another person to come
As he learns those things, we will work with the trainer to think of other tasks the dog can do for DD and he will learn those too.
So, his job will be to help her do things that she can't do herself.

Budmonster, there are many different kinds of SDs. Some alert to the onset of their human's medical condition, such as seizures or diabetic highs/lows. Some help a person with laundry, retrieving items off the floor or low places, or even helping the person get their wheelchair up an incline. Some guide blind/visually impaired people around obstacles, streets, stores, etc. Some alert to sounds for people who are deaf or hearing impaired. I just read a news article yesterday about a girl who just got a dog who sniffs out peanut traces (and keeps her away from them) because she is deathly allergic to even the tiniest traces of peanuts in soil, on people's hands, in a cabinet in the same room, etc.

My dog helps me walk by doing a series of mobility tasks, retrieves items I've dropped, retrieves items that are out of reach (when I'm in pain or need to reserve my energy so can't get up to get them), and several other helpful things that are associated with my particular disabilities. She loves her job!

Thank you for sharing this information with me, now when DD askes about the SD again I will be able to tell her the correct information. I also have one more question DD loves animals is it ok for her to ask the DS owner if she could pet the dogs? I grew up around K-9 dogs and married a cop, I've always had my kids around them, my one rule was you don't every approach them without asking first. Is this the same with SD?

Thank you,
Melissa

Thank you for sharing this information with me, now when DD askes about the SD again I will be able to tell her the correct information. I also have one more question DD loves animals is it ok for her to ask the DS owner if she could pet the dogs? I grew up around K-9 dogs and married a cop, I've always had my kids around them, my one rule was you don't every approach them without asking first. Is this the same with SD?
It is ok to ask permission but never hug attack first. Some SD are trained professionally. The problem is that not all SD or assistance dogs are trained by professionals or skilled laypersons but are trained at home and may not be good with people. Anyone can get a certificate saying their dog is a service dog even if it is a psycopathic animal with tendencies to chew on strangers.

Also the service dog is working and when interrupted can cause the handler to get disoriented, lost, or cause an injury. It is like someone grabbing a person's wheelchair and ooh and aah over the chair. People with SD often have busy lives and may not want the intrusion, not everyone is as nice as the people you meet on this board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auRZ5ecSi5s
At about 2 minutes into this video you can see an SD tethered to a child with autism. SD for kids who are runners this is a life saver and is not just for autistic kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4FskyP7_WM&feature=related
Another video about autism. The dogs also help kids with meltdowns, social skills, and focus.

Not all dogs you see are service dogs but do other things including therapy dogs that help psychiatric impaired persons for example. Sometimes the dog will help the person with balance and stabilize the person so they do not fall.
http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

People can die if they inhale or touch allergens. A new type of service dog is the alert dog that can alert the handler if an allergen is present. Alerting is most commonly heard of in baggage sniffers and drug dogs but can be trained to alert for anything including certain types of cancers and for allergens.
http://www.peanutdog.com/peanutowners.htm
http://www.koaa.com/aaaa_top_stories/x407185077/Peanut-sniffing-service-dog

http://www.allbusiness.com/north-america/united-states-new-jersey/1087872-1.html
This company uses dogs to sniff out mold.

Skyo: Are you the person using a Bearded Collie as an SD? I saw a Bearded Collie SD in AK that day. I never, ever approach another SD team with Nalla because we've been attacked by twice by a girl's SD at school. (She's since gotten kicked out). It would be funny if we both saw each other. :)

I also have one more question DD loves animals is it ok for her to ask the DS owner if she could pet the dogs?

You can ask, but do be aware that usually you'll be told no. The best time to ask is if the person is sitting somewhere waiting for something/somebody and the dog is laying down - the team is less likely to be actively working at this point (but may still be acting, especially in the case of medical alert and hearing dogs). Don't bother asking if the person is busy, having a conversation with somebody else, obviously trying to get from point A to point B, etc. just like you wouldn't bother a non-disabled person at those times.

Distracting a service dog is a big no-no. It can lead to injury or life-threatening circumstances for the human in certain situations (guide dog, mobility dog, medical alert dog, hearing dog, etc.). Just like you don't like it when somebody interrupts you while you are busy working and in some jobs, this can lead to big problems (cops, safety managers, etc.).

If the person does allow you to pet the dog, wait until they give the dog the command that gives the dog permission to be petted and enjoy it (usually, "Say hi," or similar).

Skyo: Are you the person using a Bearded Collie as an SD? I saw a Bearded Collie SD in AK that day. I never, ever approach another SD team with Nalla because we've been attacked by twice by a girl's SD at school. (She's since gotten kicked out). It would be funny if we both saw each other. :)

No Nalla, thats the lady who had a go at me. My SD has been attacked two, but by a SD at WDW.

skyo: Then I'm really glad I didn't approach that lady. What type of dog do you use for a SD if you don't mind me asking?

That was you? NEAT! I was told by the CM near the tree of life that she'd seen a Basset as an SD earlier in the day! COOL!!!
Bassets are such wonderful dogs.
I notice on your siggy you run marathons. Does your basset run with you when you practice or compete? Bassets seem like they'd be awkward runners... like my doxie.
Honestly, knowing you have a basset, I've have no issue approaching you to say hi. Every basset I've met is a smart, well tempered one. I know not all of them are, but I've never had an issue with a basset.
Out of curiousity, was the WDW dog that attacked you a German Shepard whering a burgundy guide harness? That dog went for me the other day in MK, but the handler quickly got the dog under control (before the dog even got close to us), apologized and left the area.

No it wasn't, I don't know what type of dog it was, excpet it was big, and it took the lady handler and her friend to try to control it, and they didn't apologize.
If you see us in the parks please say hi.
I race a crank, well I just started, my SD has come out with me for practice, but she has to go in the bike trailer, as I cruise along at 15mph, top speed so far 21:73mph.
I have a medical braclet and a USB drive attcahed to my chair with my medical info on.
She does not like it when I leave her to train / race but there is nothing I can do, but she will be with my DH at the start and finish, and if she ever gave me an alert then I would pull out of the race.
I do know that a SD did the triathalon last year at WDW, it was a moblity dog, and took part on the running section.

Wow- I guess I've been lucky my SD has never been attacked by another SD- I would have to wonder about a dog's training and if it had the appropriate temperament to even be a SD. The organization that gave Skye to me fails dogs if they snap at another dog or person, let alone attack! I'm sorry to the PP who was questioned- I've had people accuse me of killing my SD when we're out in the heat. My disability is very obvious though ,so we've never been questioned but I know of someone with a medical alert chihuahua who has an invisible disability and is young, so she is stereotyped as someone with an "accessory dog" that just doesn't want to leave her dog at home- nothing could be further from the truth.

As to approaching and asking if a SD can be petted, I personally don't like it. The person who asks is one of many who will have asked each day and it gets tiring, esp. on vacation. Unless it's a very unusual circumstance or I'm just beaten down because I've been asked all day, it's not something I allow as it's not good for Skye and not fair to her. It's also tiring to answer questions about what my dog does for me, except of course on a message board! When we're out, we're asked many, many times and it's because people are genuinely and rightfully curious...but boy does it get old. As Sue mentioned, to be a SD the handler must be disabled as defined by the ADA and the dog must do trained tasks which would be things the handler cannot do for him/herself.

I know it's not easy to ignore a SD team when you see a beautiful, loving dog and you or your kids are just generally curious but it really is for the best. I had to endure the checkout line at Target this evening with a woman behind me talking for 10 minutes ( no exaggeration) about me as if I couldn't hear her...going over and over with her toddler son in a high pitched voice that "the lady can't do things for herself, the dog is her helper, the dog is her special friend, she needs a special friend, etc." I tried to ignore her but it actually hurt my feelings to be talked about loudly behind my back. The child was satisfied with the first answer but it went on and on as the woman was using me and my SD to distract her son from squirming and grabbing items from the shelves. I'm not "special" and I don't have a "special friend" either....sigh.

If I could ever figure out how to post a picture ( I've been given instructions but can never shrink the photo correctly) I'd post a better photo of Skye. Since I don't consider anyone on the boards a stranger I'd love to say hello in the parks to anyone here! You can't miss us- I'm often by myself in a red power wheelchair with ventilator attached and Skye has a blue vest from PWAC.---Kathy ( and Skye)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter