• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pics of the NYE craziness?

We have done Epcot a few times for NYE. I know everyone keep talking about wait times. We did not go to Epcot on NYE to ride rides (although we did a few early in the day) - we went to celebrate NYE in Epcot. IllumiNations at midnight was worth the wait. We ate at CS in Mexico for lunch and then Rose and Crown for dinner - right on the water, where we were able to watch the earlier version of IllumiNations.

I would definately go again - you just have to go with the understanding that you will not be riding the rides.

Linda

If you park at boardwalk go get an early dinner at somewhere there and walk to epcot sit on the bridge for fireworks and leave you can be in and out in less than 1.5 hours from epcot with no traffic in or out.

Wisdom.

Off topic-but thanks for the photos. These photos are easier to interpret than the weather forecast. I'm headed there in the morning, and I threw more warm clothes in suitcase because of these photos. I didn't know it would be that cold.

To each their own....we are here now, crowds are heavy but managble... rather be here than at home!! ;) Each person has their own idea of fun and options of what they are and are not willing to spend THEIR $$ on

I completely agree! We spent the night at Epcot tonite and although the crowds were heavy, we had an absolute blast! Gorgeous weather night, fun party atmosphere, we went in with expectations of the high crowds and came out with exactly what was intended- a memorable night for new years with 87,000 others! It was a night to remember and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

I was at MK until 11 and then hit Epcot for midnight fireworks before walking back to room at Boardwalk.

I've been here since the 22nd. It was my 25th WDW vacation, first over this holiday.

Never again. Not even if I won a free trip.

We are now being entertained with cast members trying to explain to people who exited IG that there are no buses at Boardwalk to take them to their resorts. It's been a steady stream of confused and upset guests.

Oh heck no.

I just said to my husband tonight "I'd love to be at Disney to ring in the new year!"

Then I came online and saw this thread. I'm one of the biggest Disney lovers around (live 2.5 hours away, have season passes, been over 30 times in my life).....but never feel the need to be packed in as sardines like that. Especially with kids in tow.

Jenna319 said:
I completely agree! We spent the night at Epcot tonite and although the crowds were heavy, we had an absolute blast! Gorgeous weather night, fun party atmosphere, we went in with expectations of the high crowds and came out with exactly what was intended- a memorable night for new years with 87,000 others! It was a night to remember and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Thats the spirit!! Happy New Year!!

Just a MK bus update…been waiting 1h15m for a bus from MK to Wilderness Lodge. It's about the same wait for all the resorts and long long lines. I'll keep you posted

We were at MK today at park opening (7:00 am for EMH) and stayed till noon. We got lots done in those 5 hours--SM (2x), Peter Pan, Little Mermaid, Dumbo, Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Buzz, Pooh, Small World, Philharmagic, and Be Our Guest for lunch.

We went to our hotel (BLT) for a nap and returned at 5:00. We had dinner at the Plaza.

In the evening we did Pirates (twice), Haunted Mansion, Tiki Room, People Mover, Pooh, and Space Mountain.

We watched the NYE fireworks from the dessert buffet at the Tomorrowland Terrace.

After midnight we stopped in Cosmic Ray's for free hot chocolate and cookies (thanks to a nice guest who told us to go there).

We left the park at 2:00 am.

Our longest line was about 40 min for SM at about 1:00 am.

14 hours in the park and an absolute blast all around.

Yes it was crowded but if you plan ahead, you can do quite well.

I must say that staying at beach club made a huge difference too! Not sure I would have gone out if I had to worry about transportation. So nice and convenient being able to walk back- heck, it would have been quicker for me to exit the park and use the bathroom in my room than wait in the 45-minute line inside the park!! That was pure torture.

MKRuns 26 said:
Just a MK bus update…been waiting 1h15m for a bus from MK to Wilderness Lodge. It's about the same wait for all the resorts and long long lines. I'll keep you posted

We got to the bus stop for SSR aeound 12:20ish, bus had just left and only a few ppl still waiting, next bus pulled right up and we were back to SSR in just a few mins. Must have been impeccible timing for us. We left ssr by car to go to our next hotel and that was bumper to bumper but steady moving. Took about 30mins to get there. Traffic heading towards DTD and away from mk looked like a nightmare.

I must say that staying at beach club made a huge difference too! Not sure I would have gone out if I had to worry about transportation. So nice and convenient being able to walk back- heck, it would have been quicker for me to exit the park and use the bathroom in my room than wait in the 45-minute line inside the park!! That was pure torture.

If we were to ever go for NYE (and we would more then likely spend it at Epcot), that would be the way we would do it. There is nothing like being able to walk back to your resort after being in a park. I would feel so bad for all the people trying to get onto Disney's transportation all while I was walking back to my Epcot area resort.

call me crazy but why would anybody subject themselves to this kind of craziness, especially the locals that go for these days. i couldn't imagine waiting 5 hrs in line and it being done in 2 min. guess this is why i go in the slowest parts of the season or atleast i try to go then.

We did NYE at EPCOT 3 years ago and to be honest, after the 1st Illuminations show, it got less crowded and enjoyed the midnight fireworks. Granted we did not have little ones (daughter was celebrating 21 that year), so we did not have to deal with kids. We stayed at YC that year so we walked in around 7 PM at the IG. I would do it again and would not expect to ride any rides or get there early.

I'm sure if you're there, or make plans to be there, you will say "it was fantastic, it was manageable, etc."

For those of us seeing these pictures (which I love to see) I just shake my head and say NO WAY. Ever. That is misery to me. What is capacity at Disney? When people literally can't move?

I would not spend a dime to be smashed and stressed like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter