Picky Eater - Can we bring food from another restaurant?

If my son is any example, don't worry. My child lived on air for the first 12 years or so. Plain pasta, green beans, mashed potatoes......even his preferred McDs kids meal was weird. A cheese burger happy meal, no ketchup, mustard, pickles, onions and no meat! Just bread and cheese! Wouldn't eat pizza, hotdogs, burgers or any normal kid thing. Then he suddenly aged 50 years. Saw a show on the food channel around the time of the 17 year cicada emergence and they were barbequing cicadas. He decides he want to try some. Of course, we had no access to cicadas, BBQ'd or otherwise. From that point on he started eating everything!!!! Snails, clams, real food anything he could shove in his face. Very happy adventurous eater now in his mid 20's.

I doubt it. When my children were quite young, my youngest was finishing up a pretzel that she got from Germany. They would not let us into the Tutto Gusto wine cellar, the casual bar/lounge, because she still had a bit of it. I can't imagine bringing in a full meal. Most restaurants can make just basic items, like a grilled chicken breast. I can't imagine having such a limited diet that you can't find anything to eat at a restaurant, even a bowl of mashed potatoes.

Last edited:
Why is it the responsibility of the picky eater to cater to the other family members rather than there being mutual respect for individual food choices?

Your comment is just a variation on "bend to my will" type control. Many "picky eaters" cannot help it.
I think that there absolutely can be a compromise. Just like it is not the responsibility of the picky person to ALWAYS be the one to compromise, it is also not the responsibility of the rest of the family to cater to the picky eater. It does not need to go in one direction all the time. The rest of the family deserve to try new places also and not just go by ONE picky eater. Even in families where no one is picky, they will take turns choosing a favorite restaurant, regardless of if another family member likes it or not.

If my son is any example, don't worry. My child lived on air for the first 12 years or so. Plain pasta, green beans, mashed potatoes......even his preferred McDs kids meal was weird. A cheese burger happy meal, no ketchup, mustard, pickles, onions and no meat! Just bread and cheese! Wouldn't eat pizza, hotdogs, burgers or any normal kid thing. Then he suddenly aged 50 years. Saw a show on the food channel around the time of the 17 year cicada emergence and they were barbequing cicadas. He decides he want to try some. Of course, we had no access to cicadas, BBQ'd or otherwise. From that point on he started eating everything!!!! Snails, clams, real food anything he could shove in his face. Very happy adventurous eater now in his mid 20's.
My oldest is not a fan of meat. As she got older, she discovered that she just really likes her food spiced up. Jerk seasoning is one of her favorite. Some people actually like MORE flavor so are really the opposite of picky. But if they don't have access to it because they never try anything new, they have no idea. We always encouraged our kids to at least try something one time because you never know what you will like.

I'm going to echo what some of the other posters have suggested--let your son eat something he enjoys before your ADR. I would comb the menu--sides, apps, kids meals, desserts to see if there is something he might enjoy so he feels like he is part of the meal--but don't force it.

We've gone through some pretty strong food preferences in our family and most of the time we tried to find restaurants that had items that would work for the whole family. But there have been times where we've been creative like when the kids split a giant pretzel and basket of fries because DH really wanted wings for his bday dinner.

My brother lived on bologna and chocolate pudding for the first 7 or so years of his life.
While I'm willing to TRY most everything, as a "Super Taster" (more tastebuds than average) strong flavors such as seafood, coffee, onions, just about gag me. It would make life easier if could eat everything but sometimes your body just says nope.

My brother lived on bologna and chocolate pudding for the first 7 or so years of his life.
While I'm willing to TRY most everything, as a "Super Taster" (more tastebuds than average) strong flavors such as seafood, coffee, onions, just about gag me. It would make life easier if could eat everything but sometimes your body just says nope.
That is so strange how things affect people differently. I have hyperosmia, a hyper sense of smell and also a super taster so I get a double whammy. But I LOVE onions. I can eat them every day, raw or cooked. But the seafood is at the gag level, especially stuff that is briny, like seaweed, caviar, etc. I can handle fish, since it is not like the pond scum smell and taste of some seafood. But that is literally what seaweed and stuff like oysters smell like to me, pond scum. Thankfully, I can eat a huge variety of other foods other then those few things.

You are correct, but I worry that my child picky eater will be a detested adult picky eater. He is a work in progress!
As a 60 year old picky eater, I have never felt detested. If an acquaintance detested me because I don’t eat certain things, they would be a former acquaintance. You never know, my DS was quite picky (still is) but when he studied abroad in Japan he developed a taste for sushi (something I don’t like!) My younger DD is a vegetarian, many restaurants have very few choices for her so we work around that also. I wonder if some of the hard line posters would insist she eat steak!

I think that there absolutely can be a compromise. Just like it is not the responsibility of the picky person to ALWAYS be the one to compromise, it is also not the responsibility of the rest of the family to cater to the picky eater. It does not need to go in one direction all the time. The rest of the family deserve to try new places also and not just go by ONE picky eater. Even in families where no one is picky, they will take turns choosing a favorite restaurant, regardless of if another family member likes it or not.
And it's good preparation for non-family situations where you have no say in the restaurant or food being served (events, work dinners, a meal at someone else's house, etc.).

Most Disney restaurants have chicken nuggets, mac n cheese, and uncrustables off-menu in case of very picky kids. At Steakhouse 71 specifically, they should also be able to make a plain burger or chicken breast if they can't eat a plain steak.

What item would they like to bring from Contempo Cafe?

Why is it the responsibility of the picky eater to cater to the other family members rather than there being mutual respect for individual food choices?

Your comment is just a variation on "bend to my will" type control. Many "picky eaters" cannot help it.
I agree 100%. My oldest son was extremely picky due to sensory issues. It was infuriating when people, who didn't know our situation, assumed we allowed him to be picky.

Wow, I’m amazed at the responses and perspectives provided - thank you! Yep, my guy is about texture - cooked veggies, pasta by the boatload, macaroni and cheese, pizza, chicken nuggets, and his dad’s sweet tooth. We have tried very hard to not make food a battle for either of our children - people like what they like and that’s really ok. To us food is to be enjoyed and an important part of our family time together. Compromise is good but as some mentioned it works both ways. Regardless, everyone is so excited to leave in 3 days and now we have some great options if we decide to grab one of those amazing burgers at Steakhouse 71! Thank you!

It's no one else's business how or what your child eats. Let that go. Your child is the only one steering that ship. Eventually he will decide to try new things, or not. Some people have strong, lifelong food preferences.

(Mother of 2 "picky eaters", one who is technically now an adult)
Definitely meant to put “detested” in quotes. I was a little surprised some felt so strongly about other people’s food preferences. I was just looking for options so my family could enjoy meal time together. 😊

We've found that many WDW restaurants do have other options for kids that are not on the menu. With Contempo Cafe in the same building, I bet he could get some nuggets at Steakhouse 71.

If my son is any example, don't worry. My child lived on air for the first 12 years or so. Plain pasta, green beans, mashed potatoes......even his preferred McDs kids meal was weird. A cheese burger happy meal, no ketchup, mustard, pickles, onions and no meat! Just bread and cheese! Wouldn't eat pizza, hotdogs, burgers or any normal kid thing. Then he suddenly aged 50 years. Saw a show on the food channel around the time of the 17 year cicada emergence and they were barbequing cicadas. He decides he want to try some. Of course, we had no access to cicadas, BBQ'd or otherwise. From that point on he started eating everything!!!! Snails, clams, real food anything he could shove in his face. Very happy adventurous eater now in his mid 20'

My son only eats the "cheese sandwich" at McDonald's too (and hotcakes, but those aren't available all day any more). He wanted to eat at HS at the sci-fi drive-in, but we looked at the menu online and he didn't even like the kids menu...only eats 2 brands of Mac and cheese, so that's not even a menu choice for him. Eats cheese pizza, but yeah, no hot dogs or burgers and very few nuggets. Good to hear he might change his mind eventually (he is 6 right now). He will just not eat if the options are unappealing, so we are glad Disney allows us to bring snacks to the park in case he only eats French fries or bread at our restaurant of choice.

My son only eats the "cheese sandwich" at McDonald's too (and hotcakes, but those aren't available all day any more). He wanted to eat at HS at the sci-fi drive-in, but we looked at the menu online and he didn't even like the kids menu...only eats 2 brands of Mac and cheese, so that's not even a menu choice for him. Eats cheese pizza, but yeah, no hot dogs or burgers and very few nuggets. Good to hear he might change his mind eventually (he is 6 right now). He will just not eat if the options are unappealing, so we are glad Disney allows us to bring snacks to the park in case he only eats French fries or bread at our restaurant of choice.
Wendysofftonneverland, My son was so bad that if we went to a Chinese rest. we would have to get him fries, usually they had some. He couldn't even swallow rice.....now, for a family of 4 we cook 2 cups of dry rice and my mother doesn't eat it at all, DH and I eat small portions and the "kid" must eat about 3 cups cooked himself! You never know.

As a 60 year old picky eater, I have never felt detested. If an acquaintance detested me because I don’t eat certain things, they would be a former acquaintance. You never know, my DS was quite picky (still is) but when he studied abroad in Japan he developed a taste for sushi (something I don’t like!) My younger DD is a vegetarian, many restaurants have very few choices for her so we work around that also. I wonder if some of the hard line posters would insist she eat steak!
I'm a fairly picky eater myself, so I wouldn't say to force someone to eat something they know they don't like (because I won't!). But at a certain point in life you need to learn to work with what's available. Sometimes that means eating only apps/sides/desserts (sometimes needing to get more food elsewhere after) or asking for a dish with some ingredients left off.

I agree 100%. My oldest son was extremely picky due to sensory issues. It was infuriating when people, who didn't know our situation, assumed we allowed him to be picky.

I always wanted to let those people get thrown up on at the dinner table because a food texture made my son gag so hard he threw up. It happened TWICE in restaurants and its not exactly something anyone enjoys witnessing.

My son still can't eat pizza with "fresh mozzarella" on it. That incident happened when he was 3. He is now 16. It's not something kids can just "get over." The other time it was cottage cheese. He still can't eat foods with lumpy textures.

My other son threw up violently at the texture of banana. We were making banana bread, I offered him a bite and he promptly threw up IN the bowl of batter. He was about 4. He's never had a banana since. He's 18 now.

Both have autism. It's really a frustrating situation for everyone and they absolutely don't need to be made to feel even more badly about it.

Reactions: rlk
You are correct, but I worry that my child picky eater will be a detested adult picky eater. He is a work in progress!

I fget it. My 9 year old is the pickiest eater I know. There are literally maybe 5 things she will eat on a regular basis and she goes through phases where she won't even eat those things sometimes. So I certainly feel your pain.

What does he eat? If they have the core ingredients they can leave sauce options off or on the side. If not feed him before going and maybe he can dessert w the fam? Imho bringing food into a restaurant from another restaurant is not appropriate Unless you are eating goldfish and are 2. Yes, mildly snarky. Not to mention by the time you get the food, get to the 2nd restaurant, get seated, and actually consume it is cold and congealed. Not to mention some restaurants will not allow this at all.

If he is old enough to hang out in your hotel room alone he can get something at the food court before you leave for adult dining. Good luck and please let us know what you decide and how it turned out. Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter