• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Picky Eater - Can we bring food from another restaurant?

pixiepowers

Mouseketeer
I have 3 foodies and 1 picky eater in my family. We would really like to visit Steakhouse 71/Lounge but there is nothing on the menu that appeals to my son. Is there any chance he could bring an item from Contempo Cafe into the restaurant or lounge?

No, but have you looked at the kids’ menu to see if there is anything that would appeal to your son?

I have 3 foodies and 1 picky eater in my family. We would really like to visit Steakhouse 71/Lounge but there is nothing on the menu that appeals to my son. Is there any chance he could bring an item from Contempo Cafe into the restaurant or lounge?
I would say that it could be fine and nobody would say a thing or it could be an issue. Really it will just depend on their policies. It's not like you're bringing in McDonald's, it's another restaurant at the CR. However, eating food from another restaurant that your server didn't bring you is bold imo. I totally get kids are picky, mine are picky too but there's no difference between doing that and bringing a meal from home. I was a server in college and even though it doesn't seem like a big deal, it rubs some people the wrong way. I would try to find something on the menu or ask for something that he likes, or find another restaurant that will work for your son.

I would let your son eat somewhere before dinner, I don't believe you can bring outside food into most Disney restaurants. Also, you will probably get conflicting answers. I would order the food to go, or pick another restaurant where everyone can find something on the menu to their liking.

Consider going to Contempo first so he can have something to eat and then going to the Steakhouse 71 bar so everyone else can have dinner? Your son could have a drink and/or dessert while you eat.
This is exactly what I was thinking...he's the most easy-going little dude, just wish he would expand his food horizons a bit. Maybe at Food and Wine...

I would say that it could be fine and nobody would say a thing or it could be an issue. Really it will just depend on their policies. It's not like you're bringing in McDonald's, it's another restaurant at the CR. However, eating food from another restaurant that your server didn't bring you is bold imo. I totally get kids are picky, mine are picky too but there's no difference between doing that and bringing a meal from home. I was a server in college and even though it doesn't seem like a big deal, it rubs some people the wrong way. I would try to find something on the menu or ask for something that he likes, or find another restaurant that will work for your son.
This is great perspective - thank you. We are heavy tippers and would account for that, but the perception is important. Also, I am the least rule-breaker, boundary pusher I know, so we'll definitely go a different route!

You are correct, but I worry that my child picky eater will be a detested adult picky eater. He is a work in progress!

It's no one else's business how or what your child eats. Let that go. Your child is the only one steering that ship. Eventually he will decide to try new things, or not. Some people have strong, lifelong food preferences.

(Mother of 2 "picky eaters", one who is technically now an adult)

Adult picky eaters are on my pet peeves list. Suck it up butter cup and stop restricting the rest of your family.

Why is it the responsibility of the picky eater to cater to the other family members rather than there being mutual respect for individual food choices?

Your comment is just a variation on "bend to my will" type control. Many "picky eaters" cannot help it.

Why is it the responsibility of the picky eater to cater to the other family members rather than there being mutual respect for individual food choices?

Your comment is just a variation on "bend to my will" type control. Many "picky eaters" cannot help it.
I agree with this. My sister is an adult picky eater due to her autism and she says it's because textures of certain foods bother her. We don't force her to eat anything she doesn't want to and over the years she has come to enjoy new foods, but it is on her own time. In terms of restaurants my family goes to places that we know have something she can enjoy (she isn't SUPER picky to where she only eats chicken fingers and mac and cheese).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter