Picking a pearl from Japan(Epcot)????

Tam1067 said:
My 7 year old SON wants to do this--weird, I know--but is there any type of use besides typical feminine jewelry available? He got so excited to be able to get an oyster (he's really into sea creatures so that's the deal here), which is fine, but I hate to buy the pearl and then just have it with nothing else. :confused3
Now I don't know if they do this at Disney but my DH came home yesterday with 2 necklaces for my oldest and himself. They both were leather with a big black sea pearl set in the center. So I don't think pearls are just for girls. But he could pick it and give it to you if he wanted.

java said:
Now I don't know if they do this at Disney but my DH came home yesterday with 2 necklaces for my oldest and himself. They both were leather with a big black sea pearl set in the center. So I don't think pearls are just for girls. But he could pick it and give it to you if he wanted.

That would be nice, wouldn't it? Or as someone else said, if there's a keychain option, he could do that too.

Pointed out this thread to my dd11 and she's hooked. Guess we'll be trying this out in August. :sunny:

Thanks for all the posted photos and pricing info. -- it helps a lot to set their expectation level before we get there. :thumbsup2

This is something that I have seen done since the Japan Pavillion was opened but I never got to do it. Wish that I had. I would have over 20 different pearls! :rotfl: However, having just finished all the pages here, I am going to make it a priority in August!!! :cool1: pixiedust:

I've just finished reading all the pages too! We've watched them pearl hunting before and it made us giggle. Nearly everyone was 'very rare, very rare'!. Perhaps it was a good day. I wish i'd looked at it more seriously now and definately will go back when we're visiting mickey. I'd love to make it into a bracelet or necklace for my 21st, have to see what choice they have. Thanks everyone for all the info :thumbsup2

I did this many years ago, I think it was $9 to pick the pearl and $25 to have it mounted on a ring. Now whenever we go to WDW DH reminds me to bring it along so I will not be tempted to do it again (I never wear it lol)

After reading this thread I was very excited about having my DS's "Pick A Pearl" for me as a birthday gift. Hoping to get two similar ones that could be made into earrings, we were blessed with a 6.5mm set of twins and a 7.5mm single that made a beautiful set of earrings with matching pendant. I was thrilled, the kids had fun and DH picked up the tab! Woohoo!

pearl.jpg

This looks cool! Can't wait to try this in September! Anyone know what they charge just to drill a hole in the pearl?

Marsha

Here is the pearl I had mounted in March 2006.

IM000976-1.jpg

DH and I each picked an oyster. Mine is 7.5 mm and champagne colored. DH is 6.5mm and champagne colored. His was made into a simple post earring, so he can look like a pirate. pirate:

It cost $14.79@ (tax included)to pick an oyster. To have DH pearl mounted on the post earring, it cost $9.50. To have my pearl mounted on the pendant, it cost $29.50. I also purchased an 18" rope chain for $9.50. All the mountings are in sterling silver. So, the grand total for everything, including tax was $81.25.

My two children each picked pearls, one was a white pearl and one was a black pearl (ah! very rare, indeed!) I had them placed in a silver setting where both pearls are enclosed, one on top of the other. This is one of the best pieces of jewelery I own, because the kids picked them and were so excited about it. We will definitely do this again!

Tam1067 said:
My 7 year old SON wants to do this--weird, I know--but is there any type of use besides typical feminine jewelry available? He got so excited to be able to get an oyster (he's really into sea creatures so that's the deal here), which is fine, but I hate to buy the pearl and then just have it with nothing else. :confused3

At Beach Club and Typhoon Pick-a-Pearl stands they have settings that look like a shark tooth that they attach the pearl to the end of. DS got this setting. It came with a cord to wear it around his neck. The pearls he got in Japan he didn't have set, he is just collecting them cause he got twins and large ones and they are in the bags they came in with the markings to let him know how special they are.

Disneyholic said:
At Beach Club and Typhoon Pick-a-Pearl stands they have settings that look like a shark tooth that they attach the pearl to the end of. DS got this setting. It came with a cord to wear it around his neck. The pearls he got in Japan he didn't have set, he is just collecting them cause he got twins and large ones and they are in the bags they came in with the markings to let him know how special they are.

This shark thing sounds really cool--and I know he'd love it! Thanks for the great info!

I finally got my photo's on the right computer to post!!

Here is the ring DH bought me for Mother's Day this year at the Beach Club. It reminds me of a calla lily, but he said he picked the setting because the diamond looked like a shooting star that was wrapped around the pearl. I didn't realize until I saw these closeup photos how hard I am on the gold!! :blush:

Front:

ringfrontII.jpg

side:

ringside.jpg

other side:

ringsideII.jpg

I liked the tip about picking the 'hairy' one for a larger pearl (makes sense to me!) Any ideas on how to find a blue/grey one?

:thumbsup2 I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread! Guess I'll be looking for the store in Japan when we visit in October. What a great souvie to bring home~!

Can hardly wait to this when we are there in a couple of week!!! I want one, DD6 want one, and DDM wants one as a souvie!

2giddy4wdw said:
This is so much fun to do. The first time I did it (2003) I got twins, they were a champagne color and I think 6.75mm.

Back in 1979 (ughh) when I was in 6th grade, Sea World (I believe) did this with a diver and oysters. Mine was exactly what you'd gotten (except only one). My mom got a greyish one in hers.

I had bought a little silver heart cage pendant, where it rolls around inside the heart -- and still have it. It's a nice memory. My mom had hers mounted as a ring, but it kept falling out of the setting.

I have managed to read all 10 pages today while at work...what can I say...sometimes I just have too much time on my hands but Im not complaining.
I would also like to know if there is anyway to figure out a blue/grey or even pink one?
I'm planning on doing this when we go in Sept

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter