Pick a Plan

Dani's First Time

Mouseketeer
I am trying to plan my first long trip (10 days) to Disney and slip in two days at Universal. Since my kids will be in school (please no flames), the days that seem to work best and maximize my vacation time and minimize time from school would be to leave the Friday after Thanksgiving and stay until the following Sunday. I know Thanksgiving is crazy busy and Friday / Saturday will be crowded but it should let up after that and we'll have a nice week. I've always done touring plans and haven't had big problems. Plus, I am a big rope drop person. I have never done Universal.

Plan 1 - Go to Universal for the first Friday / Saturday. Then head to WDW Saturday evening and stay until the following Sunday (8 days).

Plan 2 - Got to Disney from Friday after Thanksgiving through the following Friday then switch to Universal.

I was thinking plan 1. If I stay at Universal, I get the unlimited fastpass thingie and hoped the crowds would be workable. What do you think?

That will definitely be a busy time. My suggestion would be to go to Universal during the busiest time (right around Thanksgiving) if you are staying at an onsite hotel. The universal express pass when you are staying on site cannot be beat! We actually went one time and stayed on site over the Easter Holiday - an even crazier time than Thanksgiving, and we did absolutely fine. Now, they didn't offer that pass to anyone other than hotel guests back when we did it, but it will still significantly cut your wait times down. When Disney is busy, they are mobbed! I would rather deal with those lines after a few days have passed since the holiday and they have had a chance to subside just a little. If you are not going to stay onsite in Universal, and won't have a pass, I don't think it will matter too much. Since Harry Potters World opened, it's been way busier than it used to be. Also, when you stay onsite at Universal, you get in an hour earlier on certain days which is one of the best ways to not have to stand in super long lines for Harry Potter. Express passes don't work for Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. The "orlando informer .com" website has alot of info for Universal if you need it. Best of luck! Have a blast!:wizard:

I agree: plan 1, if you are staying at a Universal Resort to use their fastpass (it's not "unlimited", though, you get to use it just once per attraction, AFAIK).

After that first Sunday, the crowds will really thin out fast.

ok, first off you are picking a great time to go! i'm also one of those parents that takes her child out of school for family time, she is 12 and she has been to disney 25 times so we take her out every yr. we arrive the friday after thanksgiving and we start our disney park days that sunday and we went to universal that tuesday, we always do univ. on tuesdays. low crowds and the decorations are awesome! we can't wait to go back the same time this year! we always do the 2park one day cause that's all we need. it opened 9-7 and we had plenty of time to do both parks. head to hp land 1st thing. we've never done the fp there! especially when you have to pay for it and there are low crowds.
disney was great that week, wait times were 10mins. we also had the free dining qs that week. have fun planning!!

Thanks for the feedback.

I was planning on staying at a Universal on-site for that first Friday night (in Plan 1). That would give me the special guest fast pass which is unlimited. The one you pay for only allows you to use it once per attraction from what I have read.

I had also considered doing midweek but it sounds like the perks of staying at Universal make up for it that one night. Plus, the Disney rates will still be pretty high that day.

This trip would combine a few of my Disney dreams - a longer trip, Christmas decorations, and lower crowds for most of the days!!!

Thanks for the feedback.

I was planning on staying at a Universal on-site for that first Friday night (in Plan 1). That would give me the special guest fast pass which is unlimited. The one you pay for only allows you to use it once per attraction from what I have read.

I had also considered doing midweek but it sounds like the perks of staying at Universal make up for it that one night. Plus, the Disney rates will still be pretty high that day.

This trip would combine a few of my Disney dreams - a longer trip, Christmas decorations, and lower crowds for most of the days!!!

You are right. When you stay at the hotel, the express pass is unlimited and no charge, and if you purchase an express pass it's one time per ride, although I think now they sell one that is unlimited also. Also, if you only stay one night, the fast pass is still good for the two days you are there, the day you arrive and the day you leave. You also have to make sure to take in the story of how the Grinch Stole Christmas if they still do that is Seusslandings. The makeup work is incredible.

P.S. - I agree with taking the kids out of school. For me, as long as my kids are doing well in school and don't have a problem making up the work (they are 16 and 13), I see nothing wrong with it :confused3. Going in the middle of summer between the heat and crowds is not for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter