Pick a pearl in Japan - Update

chanty

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

I've been part of this post that was going on for a while with questions from a lot of people as to prices & settings, etc.

It was my turn to pick a pearl. Here are the pics:
DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0415.jpg

My ring is 14k gold and the cost was $116 + the cost of the pearl which was $14. You could have a ring in sterling silver for between $20-50 and the cheapest gold ring was $100. I like mine cause I have 2 diamonds (probably zirconia).

Hubby went back while I was at the pool and got me another pearl and had it set in a pendant, a sterling silver one. It's a dolphin. It cost approx. $45 total (pearl + pendant & setting).

Also, I went to visit the one at the Beach Club. They have a lot more variety of settings. I might do one there next year.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate!

That is so cool, thanks for the pics. I first heard about picking a pearl on here and am thinking of checking it out next month when we go.

We leave in 30 days!!

Thanks for posting! We plan to do this on our upcoming trip as a gift for my mom's 69th b-day. Did you happen to notice any settings with 3 pearls? We thought it would be nice for my kids to each pick one along with her & have them set. Not sure if that will work out though.

Also, approx. how long was the wait to do this & where exactly is it?

Did you happen to notice any settings with 3 pearls?

Yes there was. I think I saw one ring and one pendant. You could also get a broch. (not sure if my spelling is correct)

It doesn't take long...well there wasn't anyone in front of me either.
It takes about 15 minutes for the setting and then you can't wear it until the next day (Sad...I know!!). I was soooo disapointed...oh well. I got over it. LOL

There's 2 locations. One in Japan, Epcot and the other one is on the Boardwalk, in front of the Beach Club. I would check out both... the Beach Club location had lots more settings at different prices. I got there and told her I wanted something under $100 and she took out different styles, etc.

As she told me, it all depends on the size of the pearl too. My pearl was fairly big (7"3/4)...i checked to see what it would look like on my ring and it was ok. But it is a factor for sure!

I took the smallest one (oyster) and got a fairly big pearl...my hubby picked a really big oyster and got a small pearl. Go figure!

Have fun and make sure to post them back here!!

how much does it cost to get a pearl?

The pearl itself is $14 (approx.)
You can only take the pearl and bring it home...i would have them drill a hole in it in case you'd want to do something with it in the future or you could select a setting on site (ring, pendant, earring). There's definately something for all budgets.

Cheers.

JerseyGirl114 said:

In May, we stopped that the Kiosk in Downtown Disney. My daughter and I both chose pearls. DD pearl was set in a Wyland 3 dolphin setting -- it is absolutely gorgous!

The ring is beautiful! I would like one set in sterling silver.....the dolphin necklace sounds nice too!

Thanks for the pics!

I just did this for my DD 1. The ladies were very nice. I ended up with a 7mm white pearl and had it set in the sterling dolphin. Once the pearl is cleaned, it takes about 15 minutes for the glue to dry on the setting. The dolphin pendant is solid (has some weight to it) and I think it was around $26.60 with tax, plus the cost of picking the pear (~$14). It is a cute dolphin (Ive seen some ugly ones).

Someone after me got two same size (6mm I think) pearls in one oyster. The lady said it was rare (from reading the boards it doesnt sound all that rare) and rang the gong. They didnt have many in the tank to chose from, and I tried to pick the smallest and ugliest one as suggested by others on the board. None had lots of "hair" on them either. Nevertheless, I was happy with the white pearl (pink was my second choice). The process does fly by fast so have your cameras ready to go!

alison

I have a question - this may be a stupid one though :blush: - Are the oysters alive when you pick the pearl out, and does this kill them or do they go back in the tank and work on the next pearl?

Many, many moons ago (30 egad! years ago) Sea World had actual pearl divers that would harvest the oysters. I got not one but two silver blue pearls in my oyster. Will definately get a pearl for my DD12 when we take our trip in June.

I'm sure you noticed you got a very special pearl....I see a hidden Mickey in picture #2! :cool1:

I didn't realize you could do this at both locations. We will be visiting Epcot first so I can check out their settings, then we will be going to the boardwalk several days later to check theirs out. We will be going back to Epcot for one more day (we're staying for 10 days) so if I decide to get one there I still have a chance!

If it weren't for this post I would've just automatically went to Japan & that would have been it.

Thanks to the OP!

And great catch with the hidden mickey in pic #2 - it took a minute but I found it. I love stuff like that :goodvibes

chanty said:
The pearl itself is $14 (approx.)
You can only take the pearl and bring it home...i would have them drill a hole in it in case you'd want to do something with it in the future or you could select a setting on site (ring, pendant, earring). There's definately something for all budgets.

Cheers.

My daughter and I got pearls on 9/30 in Japan. I asked the lady about getting the pearl drilled if I didnt choose a setting and she said they do not do that. Just thought I would let you know. We both got 7mm one champagne and one white and both had them put on pendants.

Willowtrees said:
I have a question - this may be a stupid one though :blush: - Are the oysters alive when you pick the pearl out, and does this kill them or do they go back in the tank and work on the next pearl?

My DD picked 3 pearls a few weeks ago and got a pair of earrings and a necklace made and I picked one and got a ring. I am not 100% sure but I am fairly certain that oysters are alive until they are opened, but once they're opened they're dead and so they're just discarded.

Willowtrees said:

I asked this question on the boards a while ago too. Usually, when you shuck an oyster (for food) it is alive and this process kills it. But I have heard that these are already dead and preserved in a liquid. I still am not sure. :confused3

Very cool! It's so pretty and dainty. It sounds like the settings are much cheaper in Disney then they are in Sea World. My DH bought me a pearl in SW last month and we put it in a enternity sterling silver pendant setting, it was $70 for the setting and pearl... anything like you got with a dolphin in silver would have been like $100.

I did this in Japan in June and got an 8mm white pearl. It was a blast. Unfortunately, I did it right before we needed to leave for home. We go back in two weeks and I am going to bring the pearl back to be put in a setting. DH wants to pick another pearl on his own and pick the setting and give it to me for our anniversary which we will celebrate while there. I didn't know much about this at all until reading about it here on the boards. Thanks everyone!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter