Pick a Pearl Advice

red712371

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have any Pick a Pearl advice? Tips or tricks that you want to share?

Thanks in advance.

Ok, previous to our last trip this past Feb I read on another thread that you had to pick the smallest, ugliest and hairiest of the shells.

So, I surprised DD5 and DW with a 'pick' for each one. DD chose thd one that she liked the most, but DW followed the Dis advice (which I told her), and she got an 8mm, which is pretty big. DD5's turned out to be a 7mm.

I've read that picking that way you get the best results.

Good luck!

Mx

I've gotten 3 pearls the smallest was 7 3/8. All of them were the ugliest ickiest ones I saw. I made one into a necklace and the DH bought me the other 2 as a anniversary gift last march...made those into a beautiful ring. The DD also got a necklace, also pretty nice sized with the ugly/icky concept. :goodvibes

The cost of the Pick a Pearl is only the tip of the iceberg. They get you on the settings.

I second the "ugliest, smallest oyster" advice! Both DD's got pearls over 7mm. My advice is to go to the Pick a Pearl at the Japanese Paviliion (we haven't done the DTD one) But at the Japanese Pavillion they have a drum and do a little thing when you pick your pearl. It makes for a nice experience!:wizard:

I'm sorry, but what is pick a pearl? I keep seeing references to it and it sounds intriguing, but I've no idea what it is. Thanks!

I'm sorry, but what is pick a pearl? I keep seeing references to it and it sounds intriguing, but I've no idea what it is. Thanks!

It's in Epcot and at DTD. You pay to pick an oyster then the ladies cut open the pearl and measure it for you. They shine it up on salt (?) and a polish cloth. They will put it in a ziploc bag for you. You can buy some settings for it there or just take it home in the bag.
We love doing this!
Hope that helps.

I always pre buy my settings. I get a cage for me and my mom. This time I did it for everyone in the entire trip. You can get some really special ones on that bay auction site. I got a Cinderella's carriage for $3.50 w free shipping and its excellent quality have had it for 3 years. So this year we are doing crowns with hearts for the girls and frogs for the boys.

It's in Epcot and at DTD. You pay to pick an oyster then the ladies cut open the pearl and measure it for you. They shine it up on salt (?) and a polish cloth. They will put it in a ziploc bag for you. You can buy some settings for it there or just take it home in the bag.
We love doing this!
Hope that helps.

Oh, that sounds lovely - thanks ! Is it at all the WS countries?

We did this last year and it was so much fun. I let my two nephews pick the oysters but I let one pick, got the pearl then let the other pick. I did this cause I have heard some people get "twins", two pearls. My two pearls ended up being just about identical. I had them put on simple posts. Altogehter cost about $45. Not bad for a pair of pearl earings. Not sure what I will do next time but will do this again.

My DD 4 also picked "little and ugly" oysters...got TWINS on her first one!! :thumbsup2 DD 8 has always gotten gorgeous 7.5mm or bigger pearls with beautiful colors. I wonder why that little trick works so well? We have not yet gotten any of our pearls put into settings....someday... ;)

There really is no science to picking the oyster. I used to be a sales rep for at home pearl parties. I sold akoya and freshwater pearls. When picking your oyster everyone always tries to get the ugliest to think they'll get a black pearl or a big pearl but it doesn't work out that way very much, it's just the luck of the draw. The only thing I did notice was the tiniest oysters were always the ones with twins in them. Obviously not all of them have twins but the ones that did were always tiny oysters. Have fun picking your pearls ladies, it's bundles of fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter