PHXscuba's Club 33 Christmas

Love the ride pics. I really enjoy stalking my kids in pictures when I'm not around. Facebook tagging is so awesome for that. I try to return the favor for other moms when I'm around. I'm guessing it's even more fun when they're teenagers!

And congrats on the Superior from a former band nerd! (Still a nerd, just don't clarinet anymore! ;) )

Day 3, part 1 -- A Day in DCA (March 11, 2013)

We woke the kids for our first EMH day at what seemed to me a painfully early time -- 6:20 a.m. Luckily my family has early-morning hotel prep down to a science -- take turns eating and showering. I was glad I had put together my park bag the night before as I always end up running around like a chicken with my head cut off, putting sunscreen on everyone, checking bags and snacks, etc.

IMG_2046_zps29a539ee.jpg

I did manage one shot of the birthday boy and the beach-ball pillow. I believe he slept with it (on the pull-out couch).​

And then we were off!!:cool1: We took the now-familiar shortcut through the GCH and practically skipped/bounced/ran through DTD, we were so excited.

They took each person's picture to go with their 4-day hoppers. At the turnstiles they discovered my AP picture wasn't in the system yet. No problem, it hasn't been the 24 hours it sometimes takes. I show ID and we enter.

We line up wide-right at the rope drop for Carsland, and DD10 and I notice another little girl with the same black glitter Minnie T-shirt. "How cute," I think. The crush of people moseys cattle-call style all the way back to RSR and DH and the kids see why we stayed on the right side. We weren't at the very front of the lineup, but we walked almost the entire queue until we got to the ramps leading into the final boarding area.

As we walked through all the switchbacks, I kept seeing the same cute glitter-Minnie girl and her mother. The mom looked really familiar, and then I remembered that cristyhas3 -- one of my TR followers -- had bought the same shirt for her daughter and our trips overlapped. After switchback #725 I finally got up the courage to ask her if she was on the DIS and we said hi. Shoutout to Cristy!! She hasn't updated her trip report lately but I hope she had a great time.

45134840004_zps42bb46cf.jpg

Gotta love my hair attacking me. DD13 was annoyed I blocked her face with my hand. Still, we purchased our very first ride photo! Total time elapsed for the ride: about 20 minutes of our EMH. I really liked the ride -- it blended speed with interest. The Cars characters are very realistic. We got Ramone's shop on this first ride.

The line for Luigi's Flying Tires looked short so we entered. We walked all the way to where they explain the ride to you.

IMG_2047_zps9c074cf9.jpg

IMG_2049_zps33387c38.jpg

It was a fun ride. I would have liked more speed, but I was riding with the two older kids. The next time we rode double instead of triple.

We stopped for a Photopass photopgrapher outside of Flo's.

45419270008_zps6e131944.jpg

45419270014_zpsb5c3aa6c.jpg

DH loves to toggle back and forth between these photos, flipbook-style, to see our hands shoot up in the air.

We were ahead of the rough schedule I had in my mind, so we rode Mater's Junkyard Jamboree.

IMG_2050_zps52ddc366.jpg

IMG_2052_zps75d33c76.jpg

IMG_2053_zps9b742a79.jpg

IMG_2054_zps7ab1e0ef.jpg

I was surprised how much I liked this ride. It seems to be portrayed as the leftovers of Carsland after the amazement of RSR and the air-hockey effects of Luigi's. I thought Mater's had a great queue, cute music, and a fun ride. It wouldn't be our last time on any of the Carsland rides.

45419270017_zps880ef67c.jpg

We should have waited until later in the day to take this photo -- too washed out with the early morning sun. And all of those coordinating T-shirts covered up by jackets. DH and I do love our sunglasses. :cool2: :cool2:

We headed over to Paradise Pier because the kids were itching to ride Screamin.' I managed to slow them down long enough to take one photo:

IMG_2055_zpsc63cfc06.jpg

Let me pause here with the disclaimer that I love DS8 very much, but he can be really stubborn. Sometimes he says no to things we know he will love if he just tries them (Tower of Terror being a notable exception). He had been talking about riding Screamin' on his birthday for weeks, but just as we got to the platform (we walked on the ride), he started trying to back out.

I knew he would love it, but he was in tears as we strapped in. The ride operator told DS8 that he had to say yes or give a thumbs-up in order to ride. Yes, I basically forced him at that point. He spent the first third of the ride crying and I felt like the worst mommy ever, or at least tied with myself for some previous infraction. But he spent the rest of the ride hooting and hollering with glee! He popped out of the ride vehicle and asked, "Can we go again?!" So it was a win.

45134840001_zpse0faa618.jpg

DH and the other three kids

45134840000_zps2c4261bf.jpg

DS8's first Screamin' photo -- you can only see the top of his head

photo1_zpsa2a355c6.jpg

A big thumbs-up for Screamin'​

If you can believe it, it was STILL not 9 a.m., so we did what DS8 asked and ran around to ride Screamin' again.

45134840002_zps6f2b60d9.jpg

45134840003_zpse863ee5f.jpg

So during EMH on a busy week, we:
-- rode RSR at rope drop
-- rode Luigi's
-- rode Mater's
-- walked to Paradise Pier
-- rode Screamin' twice
-- took multiple-location Photopass pictures
-- stopped to buy multiple ride photos

Woohoo for 8 a.m. EMH!! :woohoo: It was totally worth waking up early for.

At this point the clock had struck 9 and I was running later than I wanted to get in line for RSR Fastpasses. So this is where we split up, and this is where I'll end for now. :thumbsup2

Day 3, part 1 -- A Day in DCA (March 11, 2013)

We woke the kids for our first EMH day at what seemed to me a painfully early time -- 6:20 a.m. Luckily my family has early-morning hotel prep down to a science -- take turns eating and showering. I was glad I had put together my park bag the night before as I always end up running around like a chicken with my head cut off, putting sunscreen on everyone, checking bags and snacks, etc.

IMG_2046_zps29a539ee.jpg

I did manage one shot of the birthday boy and the beach-ball pillow. I believe he slept with it (on the pull-out couch).​

And then we were off!!:cool1: We took the now-familiar shortcut through the GCH and practically skipped/bounced/ran through DTD, we were so excited.

They took each person's picture to go with their 4-day hoppers. At the turnstiles they discovered my AP picture wasn't in the system yet. No problem, it hasn't been the 24 hours it sometimes takes. I show ID and we enter.

We line up wide-right at the rope drop for Carsland, and DD10 and I notice another little girl with the same black glitter Minnie T-shirt. "How cute," I think. The crush of people moseys cattle-call style all the way back to RSR and DH and the kids see why we stayed on the right side. We weren't at the very front of the lineup, but we walked almost the entire queue until we got to the ramps leading into the final boarding area.

As we walked through all the switchbacks, I kept seeing the same cute glitter-Minnie girl and her mother. The mom looked really familiar, and then I remembered that cristyhas3 -- one of my TR followers -- had bought the same shirt for her daughter and our trips overlapped. After switchback #725 I finally got up the courage to ask her if she was on the DIS and we said hi. Shoutout to Cristy!! She hasn't updated her trip report lately but I hope she had a great time.

45134840004_zps42bb46cf.jpg

Gotta love my hair attacking me. DD13 was annoyed I blocked her face with my hand. Still, we purchased our very first ride photo! Total time elapsed for the ride: about 20 minutes of our EMH. I really liked the ride -- it blended speed with interest. The Cars characters are very realistic. We got Ramone's shop on this first ride.

The line for Luigi's Flying Tires looked short so we entered. We walked all the way to where they explain the ride to you.

IMG_2047_zps9c074cf9.jpg

IMG_2049_zps33387c38.jpg

It was a fun ride. I would have liked more speed, but I was riding with the two older kids. The next time we rode double instead of triple.

We stopped for a Photopass photopgrapher outside of Flo's.

45419270008_zps6e131944.jpg

45419270014_zpsb5c3aa6c.jpg

DH loves to toggle back and forth between these photos, flipbook-style, to see our hands shoot up in the air.

We were ahead of the rough schedule I had in my mind, so we rode Mater's Junkyard Jamboree.

IMG_2050_zps52ddc366.jpg

IMG_2052_zps75d33c76.jpg

IMG_2053_zps9b742a79.jpg

IMG_2054_zps7ab1e0ef.jpg

I was surprised how much I liked this ride. It seems to be portrayed as the leftovers of Carsland after the amazement of RSR and the air-hockey effects of Luigi's. I thought Mater's had a great queue, cute music, and a fun ride. It wouldn't be our last time on any of the Carsland rides.

45419270017_zps880ef67c.jpg

We should have waited until later in the day to take this photo -- too washed out with the early morning sun. And all of those coordinating T-shirts covered up by jackets. DH and I do love our sunglasses. :cool2: :cool2:

We headed over to Paradise Pier because the kids were itching to ride Screamin.' I managed to slow them down long enough to take one photo:

IMG_2055_zpsc63cfc06.jpg

Let me pause here with the disclaimer that I love DS8 very much, but he can be really stubborn. Sometimes he says no to things we know he will love if he just tries them (Tower of Terror being a notable exception). He had been talking about riding Screamin' on his birthday for weeks, but just as we got to the platform (we walked on the ride), he started trying to back out.

I knew he would love it, but he was in tears as we strapped in. The ride operator told DS8 that he had to say yes or give a thumbs-up in order to ride. Yes, I basically forced him at that point. He spent the first third of the ride crying and I felt like the worst mommy ever, or at least tied with myself for some previous infraction. But he spent the rest of the ride hooting and hollering with glee! He popped out of the ride vehicle and asked, "Can we go again?!" So it was a win.

45134840001_zpse0faa618.jpg

DH and the other three kids

45134840000_zps2c4261bf.jpg

DS8's first Screamin' photo -- you can only see the top of his head

photo1_zpsa2a355c6.jpg

A big thumbs-up for Screamin'​

If you can believe it, it was STILL not 9 a.m., so we did what DS8 asked and ran around to ride Screamin' again.

45134840002_zps6f2b60d9.jpg

45134840003_zpse863ee5f.jpg

So during EMH on a busy week, we:
-- rode RSR at rope drop
-- rode Luigi's
-- rode Mater's
-- walked to Paradise Pier
-- rode Screamin' twice
-- took multiple-location Photopass pictures
-- stopped to buy multiple ride photos

Woohoo for 8 a.m. EMH!! :woohoo: It was totally worth waking up early for.

At this point the clock had struck 9 and I was running later than I wanted to get in line for RSR Fastpasses. So this is where we split up, and this is where I'll end for now. :thumbsup2

I so hope to repeat your schedule during our EMT, and the crowds as low. Great pictures!

You didn't get any photos of you and Cristy together?

I love all of the on-ride pics and PhotoPass pictures! So fun!

I asked this before, but I'm not sure if you answered and I missed it. When you get PhotoPass+ and order the digital download of your photos, do you also receive a CD in the mail with the photo files too? Or is it an either/or situation in which you can either get the digital download or get the CD? Or is there an option to order both the digital files and the CD for a higher price?

I ask this because I am one who definitely needs the CD, but for the purposes of speeding certain trip reports along (if I do anymore of them in the future) it would be great to have the digital downloads in some cases.

As for "forcing" your DS8 onto Screamin' - well, I believe that you actually would not truly force him if you really thought he could have a bad reaction to the ride. I think that you know your son well enough to know what he will love or not love, and that he might just need a little nudge. And you were right - once he got past his fear, he loved the ride and wanted to go on it again!:cool1:

However, I will say that I think there are some parents who will "force" kids to go on thrill rides simply because they (the parents) want to go on the rides and don't want to miss out on them, and they assume the kids will end up loving it later. They don't really 'hear' the kids when the kids are pleading to not go on. I think that sometimes the kids don't end up loving the rides simply because they just remember being "forced" more than anything.

Love the ride photos. Your birthday boy reminds me of my birthday girl! She was blocked by the windshield in our first RSR pic and blocked by the seat in front of her in her first Space Mountain photo! We learned to put her in the back for RSR and the front for Space! She wasn't tall enough for Screamin and was SO disappointed.

It's always a fine line between pushing your kids to do something that you know they'll wind up enjoying and forcing them to do something that they'll hate. You think you know what they'll like, but you can never be 100% certain. DD loves thrill rides, but doesn't like the dark/spooky rides. It's hard. Even worse when the people around are giving you "the look"

Ok, so I had a momentary freakout this morning when it appeared that ALL my trip report noted had disappeared from my phone. :eek: They actually were gone from the phone but were still in my e-mail Notes file (don't ask me how that all works). So I printed them all out superfast in case my computer eats them too. Whew!!

I so hope to repeat your schedule during our EMT, and the crowds as low. Great pictures!

I know, it's crazy how much we got done. I actually looked at the timestamps on my photos to verify that I wasn't making things up! I am a true believe in getting to the parks early. I can sleep at home.

You didn't get any photos of you and Cristy together?

I love all of the on-ride pics and PhotoPass pictures! So fun!

I asked this before, but I'm not sure if you answered and I missed it. When you get PhotoPass+ and order the digital download of your photos, do you also receive a CD in the mail with the photo files too? Or is it an either/or situation in which you can either get the digital download or get the CD? Or is there an option to order both the digital files and the CD for a higher price?

I ask this because I am one who definitely needs the CD, but for the purposes of speeding certain trip reports along (if I do anymore of them in the future) it would be great to have the digital downloads in some cases.

As for "forcing" your DS8 onto Screamin' - well, I believe that you actually would not truly force him if you really thought he could have a bad reaction to the ride. I think that you know your son well enough to know what he will love or not love, and that he might just need a little nudge. And you were right - once he got past his fear, he loved the ride and wanted to go on it again!:cool1:

However, I will say that I think there are some parents who will "force" kids to go on thrill rides simply because they (the parents) want to go on the rides and don't want to miss out on them, and they assume the kids will end up loving it later. They don't really 'hear' the kids when the kids are pleading to not go on. I think that sometimes the kids don't end up loving the rides simply because they just remember being "forced" more than anything.

The RSR line was moving so quickly that we would have held up traffic to get a photo with Cristy. I think it's cool we even spotted each other, especially when we were both employing tricks we learned on the DIS!

When I chose the download option for the Photopass+, it gave me the option of also getting a "backup" CD sent for $19.95, I believe. So if you wanted/needed the pictures right away but felt more secure with a CD (for example, if someone had a grumpy computer :rolleyes:) it might be nice to have. Me, I know I'd stick the CD in, copy to the computer once and never see/touch/use the CD again. So a download was perfect for me. We also have Carbonite backup for our computers since we store work-related stuff on them. It's $60 a year but my peace of mind is worth it.

Love the ride photos. Your birthday boy reminds me of my birthday girl! She was blocked by the windshield in our first RSR pic and blocked by the seat in front of her in her first Space Mountain photo! We learned to put her in the back for RSR and the front for Space! She wasn't tall enough for Screamin and was SO disappointed.

It's always a fine line between pushing your kids to do something that you know they'll wind up enjoying and forcing them to do something that they'll hate. You think you know what they'll like, but you can never be 100% certain. DD loves thrill rides, but doesn't like the dark/spooky rides. It's hard. Even worse when the people around are giving you "the look"

Yes, sometimes it takes two rides -- the first one is to figure out where the camera is and how to arrange your party to see the littler people!

Our general family rule is that everyone tries a ride once -- how can you know whether you like it until you try? Then it's up to them and we won't push (much). You will find out later just how much Screamin' DS8 did on this trip!

PHXscuba

Day 3, part 2 -- A Day in DCA (March 11, 2013)

When last we left our charming tale, we'd accomplished a ton during our EMH. As we got off of Screamin' for the second time walk-on in a row, I could see the wave of regular park guests coming across the bridge into Paradise Pier. I was mentally kicking myself that I should have skipped the second ride and headed for the RSR FP line. I told DH to take the kids on the minor Paradise Pier rides (some of which spin, and I don't do those) and I would call him when I was done getting the FP.

So I walked toward the Carthay Circle Theater, knowing the line would probably be there or beyond. Sure enough, it stretched all the way back to the Disney Jr. show building. As I walked briskly, I heard my name called and saw my friend Teri! She is the mother of DD13's friend and she has a son DD10's age, so we see each other often. I didn't know they would be there, but we did run into that same family on our October 2009 trip too! I told her to have her daughter text mine.

The line for the FPs moved fairly steadily. There were some nice people near me in line and I shared with them that RSR wasn't connected to the FP system so they could go get another FP right away. I got a 1:35 return time. I called DH and he said they were just getting on a ride, so I grabbed quick-return FPs for Soarin' on my way to meet them. I saw the rest of Teri's family and DD13's friend was thrilled to think they might see each other.

In my absence, DH had taken the kids on the Golden Zephyr, Goofy's Sky School, and Mickey's (Not So) Fun Wheel. After everyone hating the swinging cars the last time, I'm not sure what possessed them to try them again, but they did and narrowly avoided the barf bags.:confused3 The kids also dug into their bags for a snack.

We decided to wait in line for Toy Story Mania, knowing the line would never be any better unless we went again during EMH. The kids balked at the long line, but they seem to find ways to amuse themselves.

IMG_2056_zps657b9059.jpg

This is a little game I call "Poke the Bear, Swat the Hummingbird." DD10 tries to see how much she can antagonize DS16 before he snaps. Realize the boy is twice her size and kinda grumpy to start with! Here (above) he has both her tiny wrists in a one-handed grip. Yep, that's my family, keeping it real in line.

IMG_2058_zps46ab6103.jpg

Everyone looks good in 3D glasses

IMG_2059_zpse63c6d95.jpg

By the time we waited in the 45-minute line for TSM and rode, it was time to use our Soarin' FP. We asked for the B1 (top middle) but someone else had already claimed it and it wasn't worth that much to wait extra for. We ended up in top left. I love this ride -- it makes me so serenely happy -- but the film on the left side has a lot of spots and it got distracting at times. We must have had a lot of locals on this flight, because everyone started cheering when they got to the Los Angeles part.

I was kind of bummed that our breakneck EMH pace had slowed considerably -- in the next two hours I had only secured two FPs for RSR and Soarin, and rode TSM and Soarin. I kept reminding myself it was spring break and that we had four full days in the parks.

Doing Soarin' around 11:00 worked perfectly since we wanted to have lunch at Taste Pilots Grill before the crowds got thick. I think we all just got the basics -- burgers and fries -- but it's nice to have a meal where everyone eats well (not always the case with 6 people). We always forget how big the Disneyland portions are and over-order our first couple of meals in the park.

At this point we ditched our jackets in a locker. We could cram all 6 jackets in the small $7 lockers, if anyone was wondering about capacity. We figured $7 x 4 days was cheaper than having to replace one lost jacket at Disneyland prices.

And now, PHOTOS!! We found a Photopass photographer set up at the Mickey/Walt statue with no one around. When he saw we had the Photopass card he took a whole roll of shots.

45419270026_zps0b180511.jpg

45419270028_zpsd2876a63.jpg

45419270035_zpsc266c237.jpg

These next two show how you can crop and edit your Photopass shots to get what you want. I'd rather they shot wide and let me edit than too tight and cut something off.

45419270037_zpsbba3b329.jpg

45419270038_zpsc4193870.jpg

45419270040_zps853204a1.jpg

Awww, aren't we cute?! :lovestruc

I grabbed FPs for Tower of Terror and we decided to see Aladdin. My family had never seen it and I was hopeful it would be as good as I remembered. We missed the flying carpet coming back by days!! I heard it was back the weekend after we were there. :( Bummer but still a really good show. The kids were cracking Genie jokes for days afterward -- both boys have steel-trap brains for those jokes.

By then our FPs for RSR were finally up!! We waited a little longer than the morning and I was able to take a couple photos -- none of the ride, just my kids!

IMG_2060_zps8cf17966.jpg

IMG_2062_zpsab2f0a38.jpg

And then we were off on our second ride, which was almost a carbon copy of the first -- same color car, same Ramone's shop. My hair still doing the same wild thing in the picture. :rolleyes:

45134840005_zpsfa598db5.jpg

After that we stayed in Carsland because we had someone special to to see (no, not the mystery guest). We have a friend, Marilyn, who used to live over here near us and moved to SoCal about 4 years ago to fulfill her lifelong dream of working at Disneyland. She was the one who got us in special to see Tinkerbell in our 2009 trip, and got me and my BFF in with comp tickets on our Christmas trip. But this was her very last day as a CM -- she is starting her own business. We had Facebooked before leaving and knew she would be with Lightning/Mater outside the Cozy Cone.

IMG_2064_zps6b74c65f.jpg

We were probably the only guests in Carsland that day who wanted a picture with the character attendant and not the cars​

She gave us all Celebrating buttons and a special birthday button for DS8. I was glad we got to see her there before she left. (I'm sure we'll see her again -- she lives right near my parents and her DH still works for Disneyland -- we'll see him later!)

After Marilyn, we were ready for a snack, and the Cozy Cone was convenient. DS8 wanted churro bites, and the other kids and I had ice cream (which was of course the only Cone with a line!) Marilyn was able to come chat with us a little as we ate.

We got in line for Luigi's even though the line looked like it could be up to 40 minutes.

IMG_2065_zps0956c9dc.jpg

IMG_2066_zpsd7a849d1.jpg

Thankfully, I have a very time-conscious DS16, who did the math and realized our Tower of Terror FPs would expire if the line was that long. The older 3 and I got out of line to go to ToT (DH was staying with no-ToT-fan-DS8) Just as we were out of the queue, we heard them announce that Luigi's was down. We figured DH and DS8 would find something to do.

45134840007_zps17e81e60.jpg

45134840007-001_zpsf44511b2.jpg

You've got to know DD10 to know that -- once again -- I am not the world's worst mother. She has been on this ride (at WDW and DLR) about 5 times and screams her head off every time. But she loves it. Little thrill junkie! :hyper:

While we rode ToT, DH and DS8 did the bumper cars (Tuck and Roll -- I love them in Bug's Life -- "You're fired!!") and met us at the ToT exit.

We wandered over to Monster's Inc. and got in line. The parks were starting to get hot and crowded and I thought it would be a fairly fast-moving line given that it has high capacity and is a fast loader.

IMG_2067_zpsae280ef3.jpg

In line, we found some snacks for always-hungry DS16. "Sugar, Salt, and Fat" is pretty much a staple of the teenage diet whether you're a monster or a human, right?

We ended up waiting about 25 minutes, which was a lot longer than I wanted or expected. We did have the bonus of getting stopped right in front of Roz at the end for a couple minutes. She kept up the jokes the whole time.

At that point we decided it was time to leave the park. It was about 3:45 and I knew we had a 5:00 reservation at Goofy's Kitchen. We walked through the special GCH entrance to go back to the PPH for a little bit.

I will leave it there before we go to dinner because I have quite a few character photos from Goofy's.

PHXscuba

p.s. I have been working on this installment all day on and off, so I hope it doesn't read as choppily as it was created!

Hi again,

I have never had a line that long at Monsters Inc. I would wait for it. I love Roz! Your kids are so cute!

Hi again,

I have never had a line that long at Monsters Inc. I would wait for it. I love Roz! Your kids are so cute!

The queue spilled outside, which I don't remember seeing before. I was hoping we'd get into shade/air conditioning quicker.

And sometime my kids are cute ... sometimes they're just plain Goofy! ::yes::

PHXscuba

Love the photos.

I only have 2 kids and they can be good and goofy too. My small DD has never learned that her significantly larger older DB can manhandle her. She can really irritate him. Ah, the teen dealing with a younger DSis.

Love the photos.

I only have 2 kids and they can be good and goofy too. My small DD has never learned that her significantly larger older DB can manhandle her. She can really irritate him. Ah, the teen dealing with a younger DSis.

Seems to be universal, then. I am the oldest and always wanted an older brother. I think DD10 will really mis him when he goes off to school in a year and a half.

DH and I were discussing plans for later this year and he said he might have a continuing education course in Irvine in November. I could go with him and spend a day at Disneyland! :thumbsup2 Here's hoping it's the second or third week of November so I can see all the Christmas stuff. :santa:

PHXscuba

p.s. I should have time to put up another TR post sometime later tomorrow (Monday).

...DH and I were discussing plans for later this year and he said he might have a continuing education course in Irvine in November. I could go with him and spend a day at Disneyland! :thumbsup2 Here's hoping it's the second or third week of November so I can see all the Christmas stuff. :santa:

PHXscuba

p.s. I should have time to put up another TR post sometime later tomorrow (Monday).

Depending on when the education course takes place in November, you'll at least see some of the Christmas stuff...probably not the hotels' decor, and probably not the Candlelight Ceremony or any of that (maybe not even the holiday parade and holiday fireworks, depending on what happens with a potential party), but you'll see the Cars Land and Buena Vista Street holiday stuff, which is lots o' fun! And you'll be able to snag the real (not the impostor Slow Churned variety) peppermint ice cream at Gibson Girl, as well as the free peppermint bark samples at Ghirardelli!:cool1::banana:

Did you decide if you were going to make a trip over to Catalina in July? If so, when in July would you go? The Express is renewing the free boat ride for one more year (thanks to the 100th birthday of Avalon), so I'm taking advantage one more time in July.

I loved all of the cute photos in your last post!!! Love the black t-shirt (you know I'm a sucker for a black t-shirt!). The photo with your DH kissing you on the cheek is adorable!

Your friend Marilyn (the now-former CM) looks very familiar to me. I am almost certain I saw her last year. I may have even spoken to her for a quick minute. I did not spend too much time in Cars Land in December, so I would imagine I didn't see her then (though it is possible). I spent tons of time in Cars Land in November and in June, so I probably saw her on one of those trips!

Why did Marilyn stop working for Disney if it was a dream to work there? Did she only intend to work there for a few years?

PHXscuba-

can you give us some more opinions on the Paradise Pier Hotel ?
love to know how long a walk it took you to get to both parks....

PHXscuba-

RalphMouth -

As we await PHXscuba to come back and share her other opinions of the PPH and how long it took her to get to the parks, I wanted to throw this one scenario out there so you'll have a general idea of the distance from the PPH to the gates of the parks.

I hope PHX doesn't mind - I was going to wait until after she got back here and commented before I said anything, but I may not remember to post again tomorrow or I may not have a chance to post. This was my experience in 2012:

Last December I was in my Paradise Pier Hotel room on the 6th floor. My friend called me. She and her husband were just getting on the tram at the Mickey & Friends parking structure right at that moment. We agreed to meet outside of the entrance to California Adventure. We hung up. I brushed my hair, grabbed my jacket, bag and camera and exited the room.

I walked down the hallway to the elevators. I didn't have to wait long. I went out the PPH's front entrance (past the valet parking guys), walked down Disneyland Drive to the crosswalk and crossed the street to the Grand Californian Hotel. I walked into the lobby of the GCH, followed the signs to Downtown Disney and followed the stretch of Downtown Disney to the Security tent. They checked my bag and I proceeded onward to find a spot right outside of the California Adventure entrance. I looked around. My friends had not arrived yet. And they were not right on my heels. It took several minutes for them to show up.

So, basically, it took me less time to get from my room at the Paradise Pier Hotel to the gates of California Adventure than it took for my friends to get from the tram stop at Mickey & Friends to the same location. Admittedly, I walked fast (I was alone, so I could walk faster than if I had been with people) and I knew exactly where I was going. Plus, I didn't have much of a wait for the elevators on the 6th floor of the PPH, which is not always the case for some guests.

All tolled, I think it usually takes me about 10-12 minutes to get to the gates of either park from the PPH, but give or take a few minutes depending on whether I'm alone or waiting for elevators, stoplights or whatever, and depending on how fast I am walking. I was certain that my friends would beat me to California Adventure on that evening, so I picked up the pace. On a normal day when nobody is waiting for me, I might slow it down a little so I can look around and take in the atmosphere of Downtown Disney or the Grand Californian.

I'll be curious to hear what PHX says about how long it took her (not counting the first time when her family got lost and took a wrong turn!), and if she agrees on the varying factors that can affect the time (elevator wait time; stoplight wait time; speed of walking, etc.)!

PHXscuba-

Welcome to RalphMouth!

I am sorry I didn't get more picture of the PPH. It's hard with us spreading out and taking over to get anything that doesn't look like a scene from "Oz." I thought it was a great location and a good hotel -- not perfect but the location and early-entry perks are HUGE reasons to stay there.

I totally agree with Sherry that the walk was very pleasant -- out the doors, across the street, and through the fabulous Grand Californian. If you're going to DCA, you come into the park near Grizzly River Rapids. For Disneyland, you come out of the GCH halfway down DTD, near World of Disney, and it's a short walk to the security tables.

We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel three years ago and the walk from the PPH felt as short or shorter, maybe because you don't walk through as much of DTD?

I would ballpark it as 10-15 minutes max, and that's walking with an 8-year-old and keeping 6 people together (it's like herding cats sometimes :rolleyes:) I should add that we walked down the north stairs from the 5th floor, going out the north door and bypassing the elevators and lobby. If you have a high floor or a stroller, it will add a little time.

PHXscuba

Depending on when the education course takes place in November, you'll at least see some of the Christmas stuff...probably not the hotels' decor, and probably not the Candlelight Ceremony or any of that (maybe not even the holiday parade and holiday fireworks, depending on what happens with a potential party), but you'll see the Cars Land and Buena Vista Street holiday stuff, which is lots o' fun! And you'll be able to snag the real (not the impostor Slow Churned variety) peppermint ice cream at Gibson Girl, as well as the free peppermint bark samples at Ghirardelli!:cool1::banana:

Did you decide if you were going to make a trip over to Catalina in July? If so, when in July would you go? The Express is renewing the free boat ride for one more year (thanks to the 100th birthday of Avalon), so I'm taking advantage one more time in July.

I loved all of the cute photos in your last post!!! Love the black t-shirt (you know I'm a sucker for a black t-shirt!). The photo with your DH kissing you on the cheek is adorable!

Your friend Marilyn (the now-former CM) looks very familiar to me. I am almost certain I saw her last year. I may have even spoken to her for a quick minute. I did not spend too much time in Cars Land in December, so I would imagine I didn't see her then (though it is possible). I spent tons of time in Cars Land in November and in June, so I probably saw her on one of those trips!

Why did Marilyn stop working for Disney if it was a dream to work there? Did she only intend to work there for a few years?

Sherry,

I probably won't make it to Catalina this summer. It would be just me and the younger 3 kids, and that's both expensive and a lot for me to manage for a long day. We will probably go to CA mid-July, but it's TBD.

So is November -- I don't have dates for anything yet. I've committed to helping my son and the marching band, so I have to know all those dates for games and competitions in the fall before I know when I can get away to DLR or anywhere else.

Marilyn has been a character handler and I think worked mostly in DCA, so you probably have seen her somewhere. She's very friendly, so I can easily see you and her striking up a conversation. I believe she plans to go back to Disney, but whatever new business opportunity she has is probably incompatible with staying at Disney full-time.

Off to work on my next update!

PHXscuba

Day 3, part 3 -- A Day in DCA (March 11, 2013)

This should probably wrap up the first day, unless I get really longwinded ...

We previously left off on our way back to the hotel before our Goofy's Kitchen dinner. This was to be DS8's special birthday treat -- and he wanted it ON his birthday, so dinner it is.

IMG_2069_zps85ccd060.jpg

We arrived just before our reservation time at 5:00 and I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't busy. I paid for our meal using my AP and they were ready right away to take our picture with Chef Goofy. Our friend Marilyn's husband, Charlie, works as a supervisor of the Photopass photographers there, so we said hi to him.

IMG_2071_zpsde3790ab.jpg

The girl who had my camera started snapping right away as we met Goofy. Points to her.

45419270043_zps7f27ea95.jpg

We got a good family picture and then I requested one of the birthday boy with Goofy.

45419270046_zps23db527c.jpg

It turned out really well, considering that it's hard to get a great, genuine, posed smile out of DS8 right now.

We were shown to our table, which was in the little upstairs nook to the right just as you enter the restaurant. There weren't many tables full yet and for awhile we had the nook to ourselves, which was nice as my kids traipsed back and forth to the buffet.

Our first visitor was Minnie Mouse!

IMG_2075_zps61ff823a.jpg

IMG_2076_zpsede17ff4.jpg

I LOVE this picture of my girls in Minnie shirts with Minnie! This may make it into the "favorite photos" frame.

And here's where I learned something about fur characters that I never knew -- they can't speak, but they CAN make noises!!

IMG_2077_zps1ac88d8e.jpg

Don't tell Mickey, but Minnie was smitten with DS16. :lovestruc After taking photos with the younger kids, she came over to him and started making kissy smoochy sounds at him!! Once I figured out what she was doing I couldn't help laughing as she fawned all over DS. He took it in stride. It was hilarious!!

Next came Pluto in his personalized apron (which didn't stop some clueless people on our last visit from calling him "Goofy")

IMG_2078_zpsfbbe08b7.jpg

IMG_2079_zps61bff875.jpg

IMG_2080_zps27068a3c.jpg

IMG_2081_zps2bf5e4e0.jpg

When Aladdin came over we told him we had just seen his show. He told us Genie keeps him up to date on all of his pop-culture references. Those are the kind of interactions I love -- spontaneous and unique.

IMG_2082_zps0083d8ef.jpg

Cinderella dropped by and she was really sweet and princess-y with DS. I was just glad he didn't snub her -- I think he was a little in awe.

IMG_2083_zpsb048a38e.jpg

IMG_2084_zps29e432cd.jpg

I think DS8 may have had food in his mouth for this picture, which fits with the character. When DD10 asked Chip where Dale was, he pantomimed that Dale was off sleeping somewhere.

IMG_2085_zpsdf289e17.jpg

DD10 and I couldn't resist the giant strawberries at the buffet. And yes, her eyes are really that blue.

IMG_2086_zpsb11549f0.jpg

The waiters came by with a cupcake and to sing DS a happy birthday. He was so full by this point in the meal that we had to help him eat it! I'm really glad I didn't buy the treasure chest cake for $15 because it would have gone straight into the hotel fridge.

IMG_2088_zps0acd420b.jpg

By now we had been there about an hour and we were stuffed. There didn't seem to be any more characters about to come by, and I could tell the family was starting to get antsy. We probably might have seen another character or two if we were willing to wait, but 6 was sufficient for my family.

While I really enjoyed our meal and the interactions, 5 adults and 1 child (with AP discount) came out to a staggering $241 after tax and tip. That is A LOT of money. Unless one of the kids specifically requests it, I think we will probably skip character meals for the most part and focus on regular sit-down meals -- in contrast, our Carnation Cafe lunch later in the trip was $60.

We took our printed photo package back to the hotel and used the GCH entrance to re-enter California Adventure. My AP photo still didn't show up, so I showed my drivers license again (sensing a trend here?)

We retrieved our jackets and the kids wanted to go on Screamin' before they closed it down for World of Color. At a little before 7:00 it only had a 10-minute wait!!

IMG_2089_zps707afe91.jpg

Screamin' at twilight is awesome!! So we rode it twice!! I will only subject you to one set of Photopass pictures, mainly for the silly faces.

45134840006_zps6a6fc13a.jpg

45419270054_zps4b709567.jpg

Yep, they all belong to me.

Ariel's Undersea Adventure was a walk-on, so we rode it twice too. I am glad to see Disneyland returning to its roots and creating more family-friendly dark rides. It's not the best ever, but I found plenty to like. I'm not the type to ride something over and over, but twice in a short period really allows you to get the whole picture of a ride when your head is swiveling back and forth.

With long lines at many big rides, we opted to spend some time in Bugs Land. We went to the It's Tough to Be a Bug movie. The kids saw it in October 2009 on our trip and no one was scarred for life, so I knew they would be OK. They were prepared for the bee sting in the back of their seat (although we still can't figure out how they recess it back there). But DD10 didn't remember the "bugs under your seat" effect and we got a genuine squeal/scream out of her when they ran through!:laughing:

We hit Heimlich's Chew Chew Train. When DH was laughing after I took this picture I had to look at it to see why.

IMG_2090_zps0d674ada.jpg

If he weren't so handsome ...

IMG_2091_zps28a9270b.jpg

... I probably wouldn't claim him!

The older kids wanted to ride the bumper cars, so we waited in line. Honestly I think we waited more time for some of the Bugs Land rides than Screamin' that night. I hate slow loaders.

***This part is kind of gross, so if you don't want to read it, resume after the next set of asterisks.**

We were just about to board when the guy in front of us scoops up his little boy and runs ACROSS the surface of the ride to the exit. "Poor child," I think, "he must not be feeling well." We are starting to crowd the entrance when the CM tells everyone to step back. As my perspective changes, I see that the slick floor of the ride now has some wet patches ... all they way to the exit. Apparently the little boy couldn't hold it, so the father rushed him through the ride to get out. This caused them to shut down the ride while they cleaned the floor. :mad: So we had waited 15 minutes and and never got to ride. I will not repeat that evening's mental tirade against the father who thought going through was a better course of action.

After our not-ride of the bumper cars, we did the Ladybug Boogie and I managed to keep down our $241 dinner by spotting on outside objects. But when the family decided that the Flik Flyers were next, I graciously excused myself -- two spinning rides in a row are one too many for me. Instead, I took a few notes on my phone and checked my e-mail.

During their ride, the fireworks started going off across the esplanade, so it must have been about 8:40. We had accomplished a lot that day, and I wanted to be there for 8:00 EMH at Disneyland in the morning, so we decided to go back to the hotel, accompanied by the sound of the fireworks.

I had to stop at the PPH front desk to get my World of Color Fastpasses that they couldn't print the day before. By the time I got up to the room, the kids were practically in bed and crashed quickly. DH and I stayed up a little longer and I got organized for the next day. But we too crashed early that night.

PHXscuba

Reading your trip report has me excited for our trip in June! Yay! And your kids seem like awesome kids--I'm still trying to get my DS11, to switch to a band instrument instead of sticking with the cello ;) I want a band kid!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter