• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PhotoPass+ vs. PhotoPass

dumbolove said:
Thanks!! Now, say I just wanted individual pictures...has anyone ever worked out how to make the cd worth it? Also, just to make sure I read right, it's a $1.50 for each individual picture download if the cd isn't bought?

No, it's $15 for each download.

If you're pre-ordering the archive CD, it only takes 8 pictures to break even, and the one time I did it I got about 150 pictures after adding borders (you can have multiple versions of the same picture by getting different borders). If you're pre-ordering PhotoPass +, 10 pictures is break even.

Several people have posted about the photographers treating you differently if you had PP+. Has this changed since the + program rolled out? Whenever we did PP we always would end up getting at least 4 or 5 shots taken from the same photographer. I really hoped they haven't changed, it would make me sad.

OK - I read this entire thread and there was so much good info, but my brain is turning to cheese and I have two questions still:

1. For PP+, spell out the difference between getting the CD or the digital download (it sounded like it was an either/or thing). I get that you have pics taken, edit them within 30 days of activating the card and then Disney sends you a CD - is that right? So what is the digital option?

2. Our first park day is at AK. If I got PP+, they send a voucher in the mail that I then have to redeem for a PP+ card and have it activated...right? Can we take care of that at AK and if so, where? We won't have a chance to do that prior to arriving at AK because our plane gets in a bit late, we'll be tired and have no rental car to allow us to traipse all over (using DME).

I appreciate this good info so much. I'm leaning towards getting PP+ just for the borders and ride pics. Also if someone can respond to this - I know the quality of the PP photographers pics is sometimes poor. I've seen it. I also know they will take several shots at a time. Do they allow you to look at them (even briefly) to see if they're decent? I don't mean "Oh, I'm making a weird face"...hey, if they take half a dozen there's a good chance you won't look weird or have your eyes shut. I mean major stuff like the camera's at an angle that makes you seasick, or the Castle or whatever in the background is partly cut off or you're in silhouette because they don't know how to use flash.

I think I already know the answer, which is probably no, or that it depends on the lines and time of year and/or temperament of the photographer. We're going late January when it should be less crowded. We'll also be handing them my nice digital SLR to take photos (as insurance...I've heard the stories about how people's pics of things were not on their PP cards and of course by then it was too late...vacation was over).

OK - I read this entire thread and there was so much good info, but my brain is turning to cheese and I have two questions still:

1. For PP+, spell out the difference between getting the CD or the digital download (it sounded like it was an either/or thing). I get that you have pics taken, edit them within 30 days of activating the card and then Disney sends you a CD - is that right? So what is the digital option?

2. Our first park day is at AK. If I got PP+, they send a voucher in the mail that I then have to redeem for a PP+ card and have it activated...right? Can we take care of that at AK and if so, where? We won't have a chance to do that prior to arriving at AK because our plane gets in a bit late, we'll be tired and have no rental car to allow us to traipse all over (using DME).

I appreciate this good info so much. I'm leaning towards getting PP+ just for the borders and ride pics. Also if someone can respond to this - I know the quality of the PP photographers pics is sometimes poor. I've seen it. I also know they will take several shots at a time. Do they allow you to look at them (even briefly) to see if they're decent? I don't mean "Oh, I'm making a weird face"...hey, if they take half a dozen there's a good chance you won't look weird or have your eyes shut. I mean major stuff like the camera's at an angle that makes you seasick, or the Castle or whatever in the background is partly cut off or you're in silhouette because they don't know how to use flash.

I think I already know the answer, which is probably no, or that it depends on the lines and time of year and/or temperament of the photographer. We're going late January when it should be less crowded. We'll also be handing them my nice digital SLR to take photos (as insurance...I've heard the stories about how people's pics of things were not on their PP cards and of course by then it was too late...vacation was over).

I have Tusker House for my 1st day as well...I was told by my TA and the photo pass cust. service that I can take my voucher straight to Tusker House and they will give my my pp+ card there. There Is also the gift shop as you walk in (I have never been to wdw - but I have researched a lot) I want to say it is Garden something??? they will take you voucher too. Now my concern was I have ADR at 8:30 will the gift shop be open - In case Tusker does not redeem...I was told the shop would be open...
So long answer longer:
Yes - Tusker HOuse should redeem the voucher
Yes - There is a store right when you walk in to redeem at AK.

There Is also the gift shop as you walk in (I have never been to wdw - but I have researched a lot) I want to say it is Garden something??? they will take you voucher too.

Garden Gate Gifts? As you walk in the AK park, on the right? (I looked at the map). That is helpful. If anyone feels like confirming, please do.

All the ADR's we have are not for places with PP+ so that is not a deciding factor and we're not going to Tusker House, although I'm sure it's delicious!

I thought of another question - once you order a PP+ (online, right?), how long does it take for them to send the voucher? I read about the "at least 14 days before your trip" thing, but I'm thinking if I do this it'll be part of my mom's Christmas present and I want to allow time for it to arrive.

Garden Gate Gifts? As you walk in the AK park, on the right? (I looked at the map). That is helpful. If anyone feels like confirming, please do. All the ADR's we have are not for places with PP+ so that is not a deciding factor and we're not going to Tusker House, although I'm sure it's delicious! I thought of another question - once you order a PP+ (online, right?), how long does it take for them to send the voucher? I read about the "at least 14 days before your trip" thing, but I'm thinking if I do this it'll be part of my mom's Christmas present and I want to allow time for it to arrive.

Correct, Garden Gate to exchange the voucher.

I ordered on the 14th and it arrived on the 20th.

Unfortunately the cameras are designed such that there is no way for the photographer to view the pictures when they take them. That ability has been removed from the cameras - they really aren't on them for more than a few seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

1. You now have 45 days from when photo was taken to order CD or do download or purchase an extension. I've always ordered the CD rather than download. I don't know what the maximum photo limit is for the download. The download would be instant. They are usually very quick sending the CD.

2. You can pick up your PP+ card at Garden Gate.

With regular CD you can do borders. Plus gets you ride photos. Plus also gets you a CD of 300-400 stock WDW photos. They send you this CD with the voucher when you first order Plus so you could wrap that CD if you use it as a gift.

Also Plus prepurchase price includes shipping so difference in price between regular & Plus is just over $20.

It took me a phone call and a couple emails to track down all my photos from my oct 28-nov 5th trip. I am going to get the cd, but I've been trying to download the pictures just in case something happens to the cd. When I click download, it takes me to another page where it says I got something like 80mbs to download, but the download button never becomes clickable. It says you may have to refresh in order to download them. So I click refresh and I click on download. Of the 132 pictures I have, only something like 30-40 download to my computer. Anyone else having this problem?

It took me a phone call and a couple emails to track down all my photos from my oct 28-nov 5th trip. I am going to get the cd, but I've been trying to download the pictures just in case something happens to the cd. When I click download, it takes me to another page where it says I got something like 80mbs to download, but the download button never becomes clickable. It says you may have to refresh in order to download them. So I click refresh and I click on download. Of the 132 pictures I have, only something like 30-40 download to my computer. Anyone else having this problem?

Have you ordered the cd as a download? Your photos won't be available until you do except for your ride photos.

We're going to DW for 3.5 days (3 full days plus possibly the MVMCP).
Is Photopass+ really worth the money on such a short trip? Any other advice?
We've booked ADRs at Tusker House, Chef Mickeys and CRT.
We plan to visit MK, AK and HS over the 3 days.

KanataDad said:
We're going to DW for 3.5 days (3 full days plus possibly the MVMCP).
Is Photopass+ really worth the money on such a short trip? Any other advice?
We've booked ADRs at Tusker House, Chef Mickeys and CRT.
We plan to visit MK, AK and HS over the 3 days.

Well, it's a $30 difference between the regular CD and the PP+ CD. Do you plan on buying the photo from Tusker house or Chef Mickey's? Because they are each $30. (CRT photos are included with your meal). Do you plan on riding some of the bigger rides that have photos? Those are $15 each.
It all depends upon what your planning on doing in those 3 days.You could end up saving a lot of money or you could spend an extra $30 for nothing.

Well, it's a $30 difference between the regular CD and the PP+ CD. Do you plan on buying the photo from Tusker house or Chef Mickey's? Because they are each $30. (CRT photos are included with your meal). Do you plan on riding some of the bigger rides that have photos? Those are $15 each.
It all depends upon what your planning on doing in those 3 days.You could end up saving a lot of money or you could spend an extra $30 for nothing.

We want the photos from Tusker and Chef Mickeys, and we plan to do about half the rides listed under Photopass. That's the plan, but if the lines are too long we may not even do half. But we really wanted to know if there are enough Photopass photographers walking around the 3 parks (MK, AK and HS).

KanataDad said:
We want the photos from Tusker and Chef Mickeys, and we plan to do about half the rides listed under Photopass. That's the plan, but if the lines are too long we may not even do half. But we really wanted to know if there are enough Photopass photographers walking around the 3 parks (MK, AK and HS).

MK - You'll find about 12 photographers down Main Street, leading to the castle. 2 of my favorite spots are at The Rose Garden (on the walkway headed into Tomorrowland, photog is always there) and outside the Crystal Palace (close to stroller parking, under the tree. Usually photog is only there in the am). You'll also have numerous photographers on Main Street for the castle lights. Look for the ones facing main street (usually between 1-3). A beautiful and different photo.

DHS - You'll have about 6-7 between the main entrance and the hat. The one to stop at right now is outside the entrance where the Monsters Inc. topiary is, there's a new magic shot that sounds pretty cute (be sure to stop here before you enter the park). You'll also have at least 4 stationed withing the Osborne lights. All are good spots and get different views of the lights (a must do on my list) Be patient though, they will have lines and can't photograph while the lights are dancing but still great photos.

DAK - You'll find about 6 photographers between the main entrance and the tree of life. The one to hit for the tree is at the bottom of the hill, close to the fence, with the tree in the distance. The other spot I recommend is the Christmas tree outside the entrance (again make sure you stop before you enter the park), they usually have some beautiful natural lighting and also have a special magic shot for xmas.

Of course at every park if you see characters there's a 95% chance there's a photographer there. (95% because certain characters can't be photographed or they may not have a full staff, etc)
And at every photographer you stop at ask for extra photos, come up with your own silly photos, do different groups (just kids in one, mom and Dad alone, etc.) The more you're willing to take the time to get your photo taken, the more photos you'll get. And don't just stop at one photographer in every park, stop at multiple. You'll have a better chance of getting the photo that can hang in your house for years to come.

MK - You'll find about 12 photographers down Main Street, leading to the castle. 2 of my favorite spots are at The Rose Garden (on the walkway headed into Tomorrowland, photog is always there) and outside the Crystal Palace (close to stroller parking, under the tree. Usually photog is only there in the am). You'll also have numerous photographers on Main Street for the castle lights. Look for the ones facing main street (usually between 1-3). A beautiful and different photo.

DHS - You'll have about 6-7 between the main entrance and the hat. The one to stop at right now is outside the entrance where the Monsters Inc. topiary is, there's a new magic shot that sounds pretty cute (be sure to stop here before you enter the park). You'll also have at least 4 stationed withing the Osborne lights. All are good spots and get different views of the lights (a must do on my list) Be patient though, they will have lines and can't photograph while the lights are dancing but still great photos.

Thanks for the details. We're 15 days out so we have up till tomorrow to do it. Do they mail the PhotoPass+ only to the home address, or is there an option to mail it to the resort? Our concern is that it may take a little longer to get to us in Canada.

KanataDad said:
Thanks for the details. We're 15 days out so we have up till tomorrow to do it. Do they mail the PhotoPass+ only to the home address, or is there an option to mail it to the resort? Our concern is that it may take a little longer to get to us in Canada.

It is mailed to your house. But if it doesn't get there in time just stop at the Photo Center in the first park you visit. They'll call and verify your purchase with Guest Support and get you a PP+ card. (I also added more info to my post above :) )

We arrive on the 30th and are staying at Wilderness Loge. Would the Poly be the closest location for me to redeem my card? Wish I could redeem it at the Contemporary but don't see it listed. Thoughts? Suggestions? We are not hitting a park that night, just doing Pirates & Pals Fireworks Cruise.

We arrive on the 30th and are staying at Wilderness Loge. Would the Poly be the closest location for me to redeem my card? Wish I could redeem it at the Contemporary but don't see it listed. Thoughts? Suggestions? We are not hitting a park that night, just doing Pirates & Pals Fireworks Cruise.

Yup. You can also just use a regular pp card until you get a chance to redeem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter