• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Photopass vs. Memory Maker

lacy1101

DIS Veteran
Can someone explain to me the difference? Other than you prepay for Memory Maker . . . at least that's how I think that works. :confused3

Photopass is the system that's in place to have Photos added to your Photopass account that's linked to your MDE.

Through your Photopass account, you can purchase individual photos to download.

When you have purchased Memory Maker, all the photos in your Photopass account are yours to download - you have a specific timeframe to edit and download photos after you download your first selected photo.

So really the only difference is with Memory Maker you purchase the photos ahead of time, correct? If I don't purchase Memory Maker, I will still have the ability to purchase any Photopass photos after the fact?

1. So really the only difference is with Memory Maker you purchase the photos ahead of time, correct?

2. If I don't purchase Memory Maker, I will still have the ability to purchase any Photopass photos after the fact?

1. That's actually the difference between buying Memory Maker and not buying Memory Maker. ;) As hiro said, PhotoPass is the photo-taking service; Memory Maker is a product that you can buy that gives you downloads of all the pictures you have taken.

2. Yes.

I think I get it now - Memory Maker, regardless of when I purchase it, gives me all of the pictures taken during our trip. Photopass allows me to select which photos I wish to purchase?

Photopass allows me to select which photos I wish to purchase?
Photopass is basically the file of all your photos.

You can choose a few, choose for 1 complete day and pay that day rate, or Memory Maker for all photos.

If you choose more than a few photos, just purchase Memory Maker and get access to your complete file of photos.

I think I get it now - Memory Maker, regardless of when I purchase it, gives me all of the pictures taken during our trip. Photopass allows me to select which photos I wish to purchase?

Photopass is all the photos that disney takes for you (rides, photographers, etc). Think of it like the chinese buffet you dine at time to time. At that buffet, you can either purchase a la carte, by weight or a flat rate for everything you can consume. Memory maker is the all you can eat photopass otpion.

Where people get tricked up, is it's free to use photopass but you have to pay for the photos you want and it's just options to get stuff. I think right now it comes out so if your going to buy 8ish photos, prepurchasing memory maker is less money. If you don't get it and come home to find there's about 10 photos you want (or more) then the post purchase memory maker price is better (still cheaper to prebuy but sometimes you just didn't think you'd use it so score, you save some money just not as much as you could have). Now if all those photos you want happen to be on the same day, then the 1 day memory maker option that appears after your trip is actually more cost effective and then just get the 1 or 2 more photos by themselves that aren't on that day.. unless your buying a 1 day ticket and then you can add on the 1 day photopass with the ticket purchase if you know you are going to use it (but no cost savings so no reason to prebuy it).

It's confusing as hell but all of disney is so why not make this confusing. If your after 1 photo in every park, it's cheaper to just buy the photos 1 at a time. Also there is no garuntee you like the photo that was taken, they aren't professional photographers that are taking them, those photographers are the ones you can book via the wedding site for a special event or just some great disney photos of the family around the place.

Of course linking your mde account to your AP friends MDE account and they can download and send you all the photos for no additional cost to them. take them to dinner or have them over for drinks and thank them. but the catch22 on this if you want to use the editing features before you download the photos, then you have to be logged into photopass using the same account that will be doing the download...

Good luck!

for me the one time memory maker worked out better was our first halloween and christmas trips. We wanted to get pictures all over the place with the decorations as it was a dream to visit that time of year. Otherwise, maybe we get 1 photo at each park to document that trip and the rest we take ourselves.

Last edited:

Photopass is all the photos that disney takes for you (rides, photographers, etc). Think of it like the chinese buffet you dine at time to time. At that buffet, you can either purchase a la carte, by weight or a flat rate for everything you can consume. Memory maker is the all you can eat photopass otpion.

Where people get tricked up, is it's free to use photopass but you have to pay for the photos you want and it's just options to get stuff. I think right now it comes out so if your going to buy 8ish photos, prepurchasing memory maker is less money. If you don't get it and come home to find there's about 10 photos you want (or more) then the post purchase memory maker price is better (still cheaper to prebuy but sometimes you just didn't think you'd use it so score, you save some money just not as much as you could have). Now if all those photos you want happen to be on the same day, then the 1 day memory maker option that appears after your trip is actually more cost effective and then just get the 1 or 2 more photos by themselves that aren't on that day.. unless your buying a 1 day ticket and then you can add on the 1 day photopass with the ticket purchase if you know you are going to use it (but no cost savings so no reason to prebuy it).

It's confusing as hell but all of disney is so why not make this confusing. If your after 1 photo in every park, it's cheaper to just buy the photos 1 at a time. Also there is no garuntee you like the photo that was taken, they aren't professional photographers that are taking them, those photographers are the ones you can book via the wedding site for a special event or just some great disney photos of the family around the place.

Of course linking your mde account to your AP friends MDE account and they can download and send you all the photos for no additional cost to them. take them to dinner or have them over for drinks and thank them. but the catch22 on this if you want to use the editing features before you download the photos, then you have to be logged into photopass using the same account that will be doing the download...

Good luck!

for me the one time memory maker worked out better was our first halloween and christmas trips. We wanted to get pictures all over the place with the decorations as it was a dream to visit that time of year. Otherwise, maybe we get 1 photo at each park to document that trip and the rest we take ourselves.
Accident, your explanation is making me think it will be wise for me to buy memory maker for Christmas photos! I may be a little short on time after our trip to do editing, though; do you know if my (adult) daughter would also have access to edit from her computer? We're listed together on MDE.

Accident, your explanation is making me think it will be wise for me to buy memory maker for Christmas photos! I may be a little short on time after our trip to do editing, though; do you know if my daughter would also have access to edit from her computer? We're listed together on MDE.

Your daughter would have to use your login, but yes, she could do it.

Accident, your explanation is making me think it will be wise for me to buy memory maker for Christmas photos! I may be a little short on time after our trip to do editing, though; do you know if my (adult) daughter would also have access to edit from her computer? We're listed together on MDE.
Have your daughter login to your MDE using your login info.

We had the annual pass w/memory maker and I added all my kids to my account. With the whole family using it we had hundreds of photos well worth the cost!

Make sure that she is not only listed on your MDE but that you guys have the accounts linked to show photos.
That way any photos she has scanned to her band will show in the overall MM account and give you access the them.

Let it be known that editing the photos is hugggggge time commitment.
We had approx 300 photos and after close to 20 hrs we had 4500 and that wasn't even close to complete off all the different options available.
You have boarders, "stickers", autographs, sizes. Lots and of cool stuff but the system isnt super friendly when it comes to being fast on saving or allowing quick changes

Good luck!

Ok, just making sure I understand this as well...was thinking about just getting the MM for the Christmas party. That would be considered 1 day, just like any other 1 day? And I can add that afterwards with no penalty? It would be the same price so I can see if I actually like the pics before comitting to buying?

Ok, just making sure I understand this as well...was thinking about just getting the MM for the Christmas party. That would be considered 1 day, just like any other 1 day? And I can add that afterwards with no penalty? It would be the same price so I can see if I actually like the pics before comitting to buying?
Yes. You actually need photos in your Photopass account and only then will the one-day pricing option appear.

Take a look at all the photos for that specific Party day before you choose to purchase.

to add, you can only prepurchase when you get a 1 day park ticket. Party tickets the option doesn't appear but as soon as you have photopass photos in your account the 1 day option will appear. Keep in mind you can get the unlimited memory maker post trip also so if you find a lot of pictures where 1 day memory maker doesn't save you money, go with the cheapest purchase option you can edit and get everythign ready and then decide how many photos you really have to download and which purchase option (sometimes it's doing a few different ones like single photo + 1 day) that you gets you the best deal.

prepurchasing memory maker really makes sense for the trip where you know you want a lot of photos all over the place or plan to edit the ones you get like crazy, but again if it happens to be 1 specific day of your trip you want to keep then 1 day would have been better..

personally, I don't mind spending the extra $30ish dollars adding memory maker after the trip. In the scheme of what disney cost, this is not a bank account breaker. I've also had trips where using memory maker just didn't make sense so I got those as pay per photo and then saved memory maker I prepurchased for a future trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter