Photopass for 3 day visit?

mbarone54

Earning My Ears
We will be visiting DLR and DCA for 3 days at the end of August. I'm trying to decide if the Photopass is worth it. We have been to WDW many times and taken full advantage of the Photopass each time at those parks. Are the photographers at DLR and DCA as plentiful as they are at WDW? Not sure character visits will be on the top of DD11's list this time - ("Don't I have like 6 autograph books Mom?!?!") I know the photographers will use my camera if I asked - so really the only thing I'm missing is the "special shots". What are your thoughts? Would you purchase it for a 3 day visit? The price is certainly cheaper than the WDW photopass - so that's a plus!
Thanks in advance!

I like it for the ride photos, which can be hilarious! You can get as many as you want! As far as roaming photographers go, there are a few at set spots, and character meet and greets usually have one, but not always. I thought they could have used a few more photographers in different areas of the parks, and it would have been awesome to see a few more rides include a picture. Especially Indiana Jones, where I have heard more than one visitor ask where to see their photo!

You're also missing out on the ride photos without PP+, and you only need five of them to pay for it, and they're almost always worth it - you should see the six-picture progression of my almost five-year-old riding Splash Mountain from the abject terror of the first time, to the arms in the air, excited girl the 6th. I say it's definitely worth it - and I say that knowing that, last time I used it, we were at crowd levels 1 and 2 and there were zero photographers out and about our last two days. That won't be the case in August.

Yes my ride photos alone were worth it. Most are pretty good with your own camera but I feel like some came out a lot better with their camera than them using my iPhone when I doubled up. We also did two character meals and I was happy we got those hard copies already printed. But you said you probably won't really do that. I liked the attention we got with it too.

There are 6 forced perspective photo spots set up for the 60th that are staffed by PPs.

I just bought one for an upcoming 4 day visit mid-August. We are doing 2 character meals so between that and the rides thought it was worth it.

I think it's worth it even without character meals and ride photos. We got it for the first time last trip (wish I would've done so sooner) and it was so nice not having to take our "fancy" camera on the trip to do a day of nice family photos. Sure our iPhone works fine and we still use that for impromptu pics in ride lines and such but it's nice having the CM get nice pics of the entire family with their good camera. Also I found with the PP+ they would spend extra time taking several different poses and letting us get in some silly shots we wanted as long as there wasn't a huge line of people waiting.

We always get it. Our trips vary from 3-5 days and I think it's worth it for nothing else, the ride photos and some photo locations. But I also have DD6 who stops for characters and we go to character meals so that helps as well.

I would purchase it. The price is cheaper than WDW. Even if you don't do that many character meets, if you have never been to DL before the photopass photos you can get at Carsland alone will probably make you glad you did. Also, if at all possible get to Carsland at night during your trip. It is beautiful, and there are some great photo ops there at night. In addition to taking photos in the same spots which are set up for day photos (which can make terrific night photos), if you walk the back path between Carsland and the Wharf (alongside RSR), there is sometimes a photographer out on that path, and there is usually one just as you go under the bride to the wharf. Those are some of my absolute favorite shots because it looks like you are outside somewhere totally other than DL. I have had non DL people look at that photo and ask where we were and they could not believe it was DL and the scenery was man made! Also, when the DL photopass photographers see your photopass card, some of them will go out of the way to make sure you get a ton of pictures because they know you are buying them. Also, there are some fun 60th photo ops set up right now, but if you really like one of those, be sure to do it more than once as they can mess them up. I was really looking forward to having the BTMR one, and when we got home and loaded them we discovered that they had accidently zoomed in and the photos were ruined. Not only did they not get the full postcard shot and only the area with our faces, but they also had cut DH half out of the shot! Also, DL has a meet and greet with Oswald, so even if your 11 year old is kind of over characters, if she is a Disney kid with a knowledge of the background of Walt, she might really like that one!! My DD (9) was thrilled to see him!

If the PP photographers see that you have that lanyard, they are more likely to do a mini photo shoot with you because they know the photos will be used. We got 10-12 photos of us, our kids, and our whole family, both at the Partners statue and the Storytellers statute. We also had a photographer offer to take us around Carsland for a photo shoot but couldn't make it back later when she was available.

Even if your daughter isn't as into autographs as before, there are some characters she hasn't likely seen and might want a photo with -- Olaf, Oswald, Tink's friends in Pixie Hollow. The Fab 5 is dressed special for the 60th anniversary and on Buena Vista Street.

If you haven't been to DLR before I definitely think it would be worth it for a 3-day family trip. I told DH it was MY souvenir because I get such joy out of looking at the pictures.

PHXscuba

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter