• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Photography tips for DL needed

Kelly Grannell

DIS Veteran
Sometime this coming June I will be hired as the personal photographer for a family in the US. They are going to Disney Land and California Adventure (?, sorry, don't know what's the actual name).

I need all the info such as spots of interests, seating positiong where applicable etc in order to take their pictures and pictures of Disneyland in general. The last time I was there was about 20 years ago so I have no recollection whatsoever.

Do they have nightly fireworks too?

My apology for the dumb questions, but thanks in advance for all the upcoming inputs and answers.

Kelly Grannell said:
Sometime this coming June I will be hired as the personal photographer for a family in the US. They are going to Disney Land and California Adventure (?, sorry, don't know what's the actual name).

I need all the info such as spots of interests, seating positiong where applicable etc in order to take their pictures and pictures of Disneyland in general. The last time I was there was about 20 years ago so I have no recollection whatsoever.

Do they have nightly fireworks too?

My apology for the dumb questions, but thanks in advance for all the upcoming inputs and answers.

Yes, DL does have a nightly fireworks show. And I believe there is a nighttime parade, as well.

The most dramatic difference between DL and MK is size and scale. The park is smaller, and in many ways more intimate. Some great photo ops can be had in front of IT'S A SMALL WORLD (which has a very different look from the one in Florida), and, nearby, in front of the STORYBOOK boat ride. (There's a giant whale at the entrance.) You also don't want to miss the Snow White/7 Dwarves garden display (it's to the right of the castle, on your way to the Matterhorn). You'll also want to spend time in TOONTOWN, in the back of the park; for backdrops, you'll find a lot of fun and whimsical buildings (and a "TOONTOWN sign that mimics the HOLLYWOOD one in LA).

I'm not as sure about California Adventure. I was there shortly after it opened, and was bored. That may have changed, with the recent re-do of the backlot area and the addition of the Tower of Terror.

Good luck!

There are some amazing places at DCA - particularly the pacific wharf area, by the vineyard, paradise pier, hollywood backlot...for kids, the bug's life area is cute too.

I don't think you'll run out of places to shoot b/c you are creative!

sorry if I'm not any help...

The hotels! The Grand Californian is gorgeous, and the Disneyland Hotel is something of a classic (but not nearly as interesting architecturally.)

Downtown Disney is very pretty, as well -- I like it much more than the one in Florida. If the family is staying on property, they will walk through Downtown Disney on the way to main entrances for the parks. :thumbsup2

First I would check DL schedule for the time when you will be there. There are many topiaries, photo spots listed on the sticky map. CA has many places with H20, lights at night, characters wondering around. I have seen some of your photo's, you will have no problem picking out the great photo op's. When people say they are bored their imagination takes the low road.

Jack pirate:

For the 50th celebration there are also 50 hidden "50th Mickey's." They aren't really hidden, but some of them are very cute. You can get a list at City Hall.

Also, they have gold vehicles of "original" attractions in Fantasyland...Dumbo, Toad Car, Carousel Horse, Teacup set up for photo spots. And they have photomosaics throughout the park.

As for where to take pictures of parades... I accidentally found that during the early parade, right under the Omnibus sign in Town Square was a good spot. I had a nice view of City Hall in the background and unobstructed views of the floats.

Oh, and a couple times a day some guys and Mickey will climb the Matterhorn.

I have been a Disneyland AP holder since the early 90s(my daughter was born in 1990). And I still kick myself when I miss a shot, can you get a visit in b4 the actual shoot? Maybe add a day to your park hopper and do some scouting.

I prefer spontaneous "candid" type shots over posed ones.
You can eazily get great shots of the family On Some rides like.
Autopia
Dumbo
Big Thunder
The Boats(Columbia, Mark Twain and canoes)
Tea Cups
Astro Orbitor
Jungle Cruise
the Carrusel
AND MY FAVE Grizzly River Run at DCA.

Depending on kids ages some of the rides in a Bugs Land over at DCA also provide enough light for daytime shots.

Unfortunately adding a day before is not an option, I have a wedding I have to do.
I personally think there will me much more candid shots be taken than the posed ones, but 'landmarks' are different beasts that I want to tackle separately (who doesn't want a pic in front of the castle, for example).

About Mickey climbing the matterhorn, do they have a schedule for that? will 200mm enough or should I bring my 300mm for that?

I'm sorry to say that I didn't do a very good job of photographing our trip to DL a few years ago. I got home and realized that I'd forgotten several shoots that were "must takes." The castle was in rehab at the time, so that didn't happen, but I completely forgot about getting a pic in front of the California sign at CA.

You might want to suggest to the family that they get a reservation at the Blue Bayou restaurant (excellent food), and try and get some shots in there. Mine didn't come out, it's very dark, but very cool. POC ride goes right through the restaurant, and I'm sure that a good photographer, with good equipment, could get some neat pictures.

Also suggest that they get ressies for Fantasmic up on the balcony. It's pricey, but you can't beat the view and it would be a great place for you to try and get some good pics of the fireworks.

There's some good places to get pictures of people on the Grizzly River Run. Be sure and get a shot of them post ride, dripping wet. :teeth: Are there children? There's low rock climbing wall on the challenge trail at CA. With cropping, you can make it look as if they've really "out on a ledge".

Hope it helps.

I would send a PM to Dave (TheLionKing) here on the DIS, as well as ask the same question (if you have not yet) on the DL board.

I have been trying to find a schedule for the Matterhorn climb, unsuccessfully, but City Hall should be able to tell you. Unfortunately, it's one of those things that I see them, when I am standing in a line for something else and so I have never taken pictures of it. Not that I would know what equipment to use anyway!

Another place I remembered, in New Orleans Square there are a couple courtyards that are pretty. There is one between the two Christmas shops, called the Court of Angels I like, beautiful stairway with flowers, and sometime there is a portrait artist. And I never see many people back there.

And as for Castle shots, to the left of the Castle is a little garden with a bridge, half the time it is roped off for wedding parties, but if it isn't then it's a very nice picture (which is why their are so many wedding pictures taken from there)

Oh, and back in Toontown, right side, there are a bunch of boxes you can open and hear wierd noises and such. That might be an opportunity for candids.

And the Mad Hatter hat shop is usually good for fun. There is a mirror in there that the Cheshire cat pops into from time to time.

hopemax said:
I have been trying to find a schedule for the Matterhorn climb, unsuccessfully, but City Hall should be able to tell you.

When I was there a couple of weeks ago Mickey climbed twice early in the afternoon. I used my lens at 128mm setting and got an ok shot. A 200 should be fine.

Never been to California, so no help at all - but wish you all the best! Post some of your fav shots after!

The trip have just been delayed 'til Xmas. At least I have some time to do more research, finding the park maps etc.

BTW, anybody can tell me where I can find the park maps online? For DL and DCA, of course.

I was afraid of that. We have never been to DL/DCA so I can't even send you a map. Hopefully someone else will have something, perhaps interactive?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter