Photographing Evening Shows

WishingMom

DIS Veteran
I noticed quite a few photographs of the shows. I thought I read somewhere that there was no flash photography permitted. Does everyone turn off their flash when taking pics?

Thanks

I remember commenting to my husband about a few flashes going off. The CD said no flash photography, but some people always think they are above the rules. I know they are excited and are trying to capture every moment of their trip, however, if the flash going off hits a performers eye in the wrong way, they can trip or fall. It really is dangerous for them.

It is possible to take pictures without a flash by adjusting the aperture and ISO on most digital cameras.

But I agree, if they ask for no flash photography, then people should respect it and turn off the flash!

Pictures turn out much better if you are in the lower section of the theater even using your zoom by NOT having the flash turned on. People who are using the flash are not only being inconsiderate to those around them but putting the performers in danger because they can be blinded by it. They are also going to get home and see lots of pictures of the back of the heads of those around them and/or very dark and grainy pictures. The flash cannot reach the stage to actually light up the performers to get a good shot with them.

I agree we were always in the 1st three rows and got great pics without the flash. I am a huge fan of pics without the flash, so many times they turn our much better. Not to mention for the reasons already said, it is annoying to other people in the theater, plus dangerous to the performers, to use the flash...but then again there's always someone who wants to break the rules (and MANY who reserved seats against the rule not to as well.)

is it first come first seated in the shows or do they give you assigned seats based on your cabin?

sometimes i don't even take pics - just use the video and pick frames off the video to put in the photo book - most of the time i do that i get better pics because the video seems to have different lighting and it's brighter.

The seating is first come first served and there is no video taping permitted in the theater for the main stage shows.

Thanks all. I agree, the flash can be annoying to both the spectators and the performers. I noticed when I saw a play on Broadway that the ushers were very strict about flash photography.

Cheers,

More people might comply if someone tells the audience about the danger factor ahead of time. I don't think I've ever heard anything other than "no flash photography."

on Our cruise there were not very many flashes that went off - i really don't remember any (and they bother me). THe other thing that really bugs me and they announced along with the "no flashes" was the no external view screens. Only a couple of people around me used theirs. At WDW I think its pretty funny with all of the people around the castle waiting for the fireworks, and the lights go down, then the camera come out and it's almost brighter than when the lights were on.

I sit in the lower section (usually middle or higher), use the zoom, set the ISO to a higher value, use center metering. I will get about 1/2 of the pictures to come out pretty good. Dreams is hard because ALL of the lighting is subdued (it's set after bedtime and before morning). THis last time I got a lot of good pictures. Twice Charmed is the easiest to get good pictures and The Golden Mickeys is a bit harder because those dancers just don't stand still!

I know you can't use flash photography and I never have, but I read where someone did video tape the show. I would love to do it, I would use the screen closed and use the view finder but didn't think we were allowed.

Looking forward to our May Cruise.

Peggy

so you can't video the shows but you can take pics without the flash - is that right?

i guess we'll have to "fix" the photo's when we get home

I know you can't use flash photography and I never have, but I read where someone did video tape the show. I would love to do it, I would use the screen closed and use the view finder but didn't think we were allowed.

Peggy

It is announced before the shows for no video equipment to be used.

I used a Sony cybershot on our Nov cruise and was able to capture great pics of the shows w/o the flash. Not all of them turned out great, but about 70% of them did. I didn't really know much about the camera because I bought it for DD's Bday just about 2 days prior to leaving for WDW. But I highly recommend the Sony. We have been very pleased w/ the pic quality. :thumbsup2

You need the performers to "stand still" because the shutter speed is going to be fairly slow. Also having a "Mono Pod" (a one legged tripod:) - I do not have one) to help steady the camera would result in getting better pictures. Sometimes I get lucky.

This first shot shows Peter not standing still for me:lmao:
39217Dreams1-med.JPG

The rest are better - most are not great - but they work for me
39217Dreams2-med.JPG

39217Dreams3-med.JPG

39217Dreams4-med.JPG

39217Dreams5.JPG

39217Dreams6-med.JPG

39217Dreams7-med.JPG

39217Dreams8.JPG

39217Dreams9-med.JPG

The Pictures are really good, thanks for sharing them. I guess since you got such good pictures, no one told you not to take the pictures. I just wan't sure if we are allowed to take the pictures or not. Of course I would do it with out a flash, but didn't know if even that was allowed.

Thanks again,

Peg

Wow, those pics came out fantastic...hopefully I'll have the same luck. My camera is not the best but I'll take my brothers on our trip.

Peggy
The CD did say that no video taping was allowed, but since I have a pocket camcorder that uses flash memory and not video tape, I wouldn't 'technically' be in violation of what he said...right? ;)

Seriously though, if you want good pictures they ALWAYS come out better with no flash. To do that though you need either a camera with a decent lens or very steady hands with a point & shoot type camera. As others have said, it also helps to be in the first few rows. I took a handful of photos with a small Canon Powershot at the Toys Story show on our cruise a few days ago and they came out ok...not great, but ok. I also took several minutes of video (non-tape kind!) at each show with a small Flip Mino pocket camcorder which is smaller than most cellphones. It came out fairly well, though some of it seemed overexposed due to the bright lighting on stage. That's hard to avoid with an expensive camcorder, let alone the cheaper 'pocket' types.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter