• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Photographers... Tripods??

Heatherhl

Earning My Ears
I'm not terribly steady at night shots (Canon Mark iii & Nikon PS) and would like to get great fireworks photos while there. Have you used a tripod and does WDW even let a small tripod into the park?

Thanks!!!

Yes you can use Tripods in the parks. I've have used one in all 4 of the major parks both during the day (long exposure waterfall shots at AK) and at night.

I have used a full size and also a travel tripod. I like the travel tripod (full extended its only 43" tall, but when fully closed its only 13.5") because if you open in but don't extend the legs it fits perfectly on top of the trash cans that are all around the parks. Its also just big enough to see over the fences in the parks (ie: for Illuminations at EPCOT and the waterfalls in AK).

Full size tripods work fine too obviously, but they can be a pain to carry around. Wasn't so bad for me as we had 2 strollers for our kids. The lockers at the enterance to the parks will hold a tripod that is about 24" long when its closed.

For more info you'll get a lot more responses over in the Photography Board (go to the main forum page and scroll down to the Just For Fun area, or click on the big picture in my Signature that has Genie and Mickey holding camera's)

No problem.

Thats some serious camera gear you've got. We've got 2 regulars on the photo board who shoot the high end Canon. I think they've each got the Canon 1D Mark II.

There's some good info over all in the Dis photography board. Come on over and visit.

No problem.

Thats some serious camera gear you've got. We've got 2 regulars on the photo board who shoot the high end Canon. I think they've each got the Canon 1D Mark II.

There's some good info over all in the Dis photography board. Come on over and visit.

I will visit. I've seen the work of several I'm quite impressed with. (yours of course and Joe Levy wow!) I had the 20d & 10d then upgraded when Canon released the Mark iii this last year. So far love it but still trying to figure it all out. ;)

Thanks again!!!

I'm SO not a photographer, but I'm married to one.

He has a monopod he uses sometimes. It's a lot lighter than the tripod and apparently works just as well (or does that depend on the circumstances??)

Just wanted to throw the idea out there.

I don't know if a monopod for a still camera would be all that great unless your using a big giant lens. Most of the stuff at night needs long exposures. I can see a monopod could help if your going to photograph the Osborne Lights.

But its one of those things,,, different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for the monpod suggestion. I did think about bringing the one I have but I just can't keep it still enough. Maybe I have a cheap one. I thougt it was nice at the time for weddings but I only used it once and then said forget it. Just wasn't working for me..:confused3

But thank you for making the suggestion!!! Worth a try!!!:thumbsup2

I see the photography board was already suggested
so I am gonna move this on over there.

It is more a topic for that board and I am sure you will get more
suggestions and ideas:)

Thanks for the monpod suggestion. But thank you for making the suggestion!!! Worth a try!!!:thumbsup2

Remember, though, that I'm NOT a photographer... my husband is. Please don't take it as a concrete suggestion if you personally (or others who have real experience) know better.

Have a great trip!

I really liked using my monopod when we were there a couple weeks ago. There was a tip on another board that you can take some velcro and strap it to a stationary object (like a fence post). Also, when I used it with my camcorder, I could easily hold the camcorder up over the crowd at the Osborne Lights.

I really liked using my monopod when we were there a couple weeks ago. There was a tip on another board that you can take some velcro and strap it to a stationary object (like a fence post). Also, when I used it with my camcorder, I could easily hold the camcorder up over the crowd at the Osborne Lights.

HUH, now that's a great suggestion, using it for the video cam and the velcro. Thanks!

Remember, though, that I'm NOT a photographer... my husband is. Please don't take it as a concrete suggestion if you personally (or others who have real experience) know better.

Have a great trip!

All suggestions are great and appreciated.

Thank you!

No problem.

I think that there are three 1D series users. I shoot with a 1D Mark II. Oblio did as well, but he may well have upgraded by now. SharonLowe shoots with a 1Ds Mark II. They both make money with their cameras. I'm just a goof that decided he could compensate for lack of talent with better equipment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter