• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

...first I want to thank you for the inspiration that you provide! :worship: I have been subscribing to this thread since 2008 and I am finally gaining the confidence to post a picture on here (if I can actually figure out how to upload one). Many of you answered my questions and have been very helpful! I upgraded from the alpha 200 to the a77 back in March and I am loving it! Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
photostream

...first I want to thank you for the inspiration that you provide! :worship: I have been subscribing to this thread since 2008 and I am finally gaining the confidence to post a picture on here (if I can actually figure out how to upload one). Many of you answered my questions and have been very helpful! I upgraded from the alpha 200 to the a77 back in March and I am loving it! Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
photostream

Let's see is this works!

a>

Okay...this is my last attempt! So sorry for the multiple postings...fingers crossed that this works!

8694209228_3f4e07e0d2.jpg
[/url] image by sniemana, on Flickr[/IMG]

You kidding? You have some great shots on your Flickr page. Sme of the details you captured in those flower pictures is amazing :thumbsup2

What lens did you shoot those with? Ive been kicking around the idea of upgrading from my A55 to A77 and seeing those makes it that much easier to make that decision

Hockeyman Thanks for the complement! I wish I could get the images sharper (any suggestions)? For the flower shots I used the Sony macro sam 2.8/30 lens. I don't think it was overly expensive since it was a Mother's Day gift last year and I used it with my a200 frame. I was never disappointed with the close ups and I am slowly getting used to it with the a77.

Thanks again!

You kidding? You have some great shots on your Flickr page. Sme of the details you captured in those flower pictures is amazing :thumbsup2

What lens did you shoot those with? Ive been kicking around the idea of upgrading from my A55 to A77 and seeing those makes it that much easier to make that decision

I've "kicked" around the same thoughts and was hoping there would be a tempting A78 with better noise performance. But it appears there will be no A78 in the near future.
So side by side, the A55 versus the A77... Much better EVF... better layout of manual controls... similar image quality, weather sealing.... Just not quite enough for me to rationalize the purchase. But it's close.

Hockeyman Thanks for the complement! I wish I could get the images sharper (any suggestions)? For the flower shots I used the Sony macro sam 2.8/30 lens. I don't think it was overly expensive since it was a Mother's Day gift last year and I used it with my a200 frame. I was never disappointed with the close ups and I am slowly getting used to it with the a77.

Thanks again!

The Sony 30mm macro is a very affordable lens, considered to be a great value. (It's part of their line of "easy choice" lenses --- affordable plastic prime lenses with very good optical quality. I love their "easy choice" 85mm 2.8 lens).

Getting images sharper -- Primarily it's a matter of nailing your focus, and stopping down.
Macro shots are very very hard to get sharp, as the depth of field is soooooooo narrow. And the smallest amount of camera shake can really throw things off. So the best way to sharpen macro shots is to stop down the aperture (if you have enough light, try going down to F11-22 range). And if possible, use a tripod.
Though having looked at your macro shots.. they look fantastic, and look plenty sharp.

I've "kicked" around the same thoughts and was hoping there would be a tempting A78 with better noise performance. But it appears there will be no A78 in the near future.
So side by side, the A55 versus the A77... Much better EVF... better layout of manual controls... similar image quality, weather sealing.... Just not quite enough for me to rationalize the purchase. But it's close.

That is my battle right there. Do I spend the money for a few pluses?!? Im really curious to see what Sony has up their sleeve, from what SAR says

Thanks again!

This article right here. Helped me out a lot. I was sharpening using Lightroom but that added a lot of noise. I found using this method prevented the noise and adds crazy amounts, but to your liking via adjusting, of sharpness to the picture

http://www.themagicinpixels.com/2012/04/how-to-sharpen-using-lab-in-photoshop-2/

That is my battle right there. Do I spend the money for a few pluses?!? Im really curious to see what Sony has up their sleeve, from what SAR says

I'm curious. I have some high hope (all the pros of mirrorless combined with all the pros of dSLR), but I also have some apprehension that they may ultimately ditch dSLR in favor of NEX exclusively.

I'm considering renting an A77 body for my next vacation, taking it for a spin. My rationale that I need weather resistance for the beach!

I'm curious. I have some high hope (all the pros of mirrorless combined with all the pros of dSLR), but I also have some apprehension that they may ultimately ditch dSLR in favor of NEX exclusively.

I'm considering renting an A77 body for my next vacation, taking it for a spin. My rationale that I need weather resistance for the beach!

I really hope they don't ditch the dslr cameras. The NEX are sweet but I prefer having a full body camera in my hands.

From http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

I for one cant wait to see what they are cooking

“The Alpha line is not going away. They are working on technology that will outshine the competitors for early release next year.”

He is a top source and in one year from now we will be able to see and touch the new Alpha Camera Generation. Trust SAR and that source…he always told me the truth! Spread the word!

From http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

I for one cant wait to see what they are cooking

Since even the rumor of an actual product release is a year away.... Seems they are in the pretty early stages of cooking. Which has me both excited and worried.
Earlier rumors were a A78 later this year. Which according to those same rumor sources, was eventually "scrapped."

So they scrapped the planned product release, and went back to the drawing board. So ok, the "goal" is to outshine the competition. But if that product was anywhere near ready, we wouldn't be waiting a year for it. So it doesn't sound like they are all that close to actually figuring out *how* to outshine the competition.
Reminds me of Richard Nixon's secret plan to end the Vietnam war.

Hopefully Sony engineers are on a clear path, and Sony is giving them the resources and freedom they need, to really come out with something special.

My *hope*:
Start with all the advantages of the A65.....
Without the translucent mirror, get IQ that matches the very best dSLRs.
Really perfect on-sensor Phase detection or hybrid AF --- So that it can truly match dSLR for autofocus speed and accuracy.
If you do that, you can remove the limitations in the SLT line -- Full manual exposure control even in high burst shooting, full manual exposure control even with video AF.
Maybe somehow really advance the refresh rate of the EVF, so that it can actually keep up with high burst shooting.

Do those things, and you will have a truly compelling product.

Since even the rumor of an actual product release is a year away.... Seems they are in the pretty early stages of cooking. Which has me both excited and worried.
Earlier rumors were a A78 later this year. Which according to those same rumor sources, was eventually "scrapped."

So they scrapped the planned product release, and went back to the drawing board. So ok, the "goal" is to outshine the competition. But if that product was anywhere near ready, we wouldn't be waiting a year for it. So it doesn't sound like they are all that close to actually figuring out *how* to outshine the competition.
Reminds me of Richard Nixon's secret plan to end the Vietnam war.

Hopefully Sony engineers are on a clear path, and Sony is giving them the resources and freedom they need, to really come out with something special.

My *hope*:
Start with all the advantages of the A65.....
Really perfect on-sensor Phase detection or hybrid AF --- So that it can truly match dSLR for autofocus speed and accuracy.
If you do that, you can remove the limitations in the SLT line -- Full manual exposure control even in high burst shooting, full manual exposure control even with video AF.
Maybe somehow really advance the refresh rate of the EVF, so that it can actually keep up with high burst shooting.

Do those things, and you will have a truly compelling product.

Never thought of it like that lol. How long does it take them to go from a concept to a working production model?

That is what I want right there. I see entry level Nikon and Canon shooter take high ISO shots that better mine with a lower ISO and it drives me bananas.

Never thought of it like that lol. How long does it take them to go from a concept to a working production model?

That is what I want right there. I see entry level Nikon and Canon shooter take high ISO shots that better mine with a lower ISO and it drives me bananas.

No idea how long it takes. I just know that this feels like a rather sudden change in course. Just a couple months ago, the rumor was that A38/A58/A78 were all coming this year. Seems they scrapped the A58 and A78. (The A58 that was just released appears to really be a re-named A38).

In terms of ISO.... at least according to DXOMark.... The Sony crop SLTs were still matching the Canon crop dSLRs. Canon's sensors are starting to call behind, plus they use a smaller sensor. But yeah, the Nikon ISO performance is really impressive compared to the Sony.

Though remember --- thanks to IBIS, there are some low light shots you can get with a Sony that you can't get with a Canon/Nikon.
For example, prime lenses usually aren't stabilized.
So with a 50mm prime -- Thanks to IBIS -- On Sony, I can shoot at ISO 800, 2.8 aperture, and 1/12 shutter speed. (Hypothetically). To get the same shot on Nikon without any image stabilization, I would need to increase my shutter speed to 1/50... Which would require me to boost my ISO all the way up to 3200. While Nikon might outperform Sony in ISO, I'd rather have Sony-800 over Nikon 3200.

Now if we can get the best of both worlds... IBIS combined with high performance ISO... Watch out.

Sony, I'm coming home!!!!! I just sold a Pentax limited lens and ordered a Nex 6 again. I am keeping my K-5II for tele lenses I think.

As far as APS-C ISO capability, the Pentax cameras are awesome. In December I had the Nikon D600 and sold it due to the stupid quality control issues with the sensor oil spots. The high ISO noise wasn't that much different between my D600 and K-5II.

On the other hand, the darn translucent mirror really does affect the Sony. I had the LA-EA2 adapter on my old Nex and you could tell the difference with and without it. The mirror does make a difference. I just love the Nex series, they are magical to me especially with manual lenses.

Sony, I'm coming home!!!!! I just sold a Pentax limited lens and ordered a Nex 6 again. I am keeping my K-5II for tele lenses I think.

As far as APS-C ISO capability, the Pentax cameras are awesome. In December I had the Nikon D600 and sold it due to the stupid quality control issues with the sensor oil spots. The high ISO noise wasn't that much different between my D600 and K-5II.

On the other hand, the darn translucent mirror really does affect the Sony. I had the LA-EA2 adapter on my old Nex and you could tell the difference with and without it. The mirror does make a difference. I just love the Nex series, they are magical to me especially with manual lenses.

Welcome back buddy :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter