• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

My first outing to the zoo with my a77-II and Sigma 50-150 2.8. The lens isn't tack-sharp, and I need practice holding the camera/lens steady, but I managed to get several keepers. In this shot, there was a small opening thru the tree branches to see the tigers -- an opening that seemed much smaller when zoomed all the way in.

DSC00991
by mcraigelliott, on Flickr

Love the shot.... and it is pretty sharp.... But you also had more latitude you could have shot with. You were at 1/125 and F2.8 at ISO 100. No reason to stick to base ISO. You have good light, and results up to ISO 800 should really give you very near the same quality. So stopping down to F4/ - 1/250 - ISO 400, would have made it easier to freeze the shot and get a sharper shot.

i-mcrBBKq-X2.jpg

My first outing to the zoo with my a77-II and Sigma 50-150 2.8. The lens isn't tack-sharp, and I need practice holding the camera/lens steady, but I managed to get several keepers. In this shot, there was a small opening thru the tree branches to see the tigers -- an opening that seemed much smaller when zoomed all the way in.

DSC00991

Nice shot @mcraige ! Two tigers baring fangs in any photo is awesome. While I agree with @havoc315 on a technical level, from a more artistic viewpoint, the larger aperture nicely blurs the foreground to give you more of a feeling of a "hidden view". I like the effect, plus I think havoc is a bit grumpier since he switched to Nikon. :rolleyes:

DSC00991

That looks like a tough shot to get, pretty good job. What did you have before the A7 II?

Nice shot @mcraige ! Two tigers baring fangs in any photo is awesome. While I agree with @havoc315 on a technical level, from a more artistic viewpoint, the larger aperture nicely blurs the foreground to give you more of a feeling of a "hidden view". I like the effect, plus I think havoc is a bit grumpier since he switched to Nikon. :rolleyes:

@havoc315 switched to Nikon?? No lo creo (I don't believe it)

Love the shot.... and it is pretty sharp.... But you also had more latitude you could have shot with. You were at 1/125 and F2.8 at ISO 100. No reason to stick to base ISO. You have good light, and results up to ISO 800 should really give you very near the same quality. So stopping down to F4/ - 1/250 - ISO 400, would have made it easier to freeze the shot and get a sharper shot.

Thanks @havoc315 for the comments. It all happened so quickly that I didn't have time for any additional adjustments.

@fractal I honestly didn't notice the blurred foreground as much when taking the picture. I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

That looks like a tough shot to get, pretty good job. What did you have before the A7 II?
@Rgonzalez79, before the a77-II I had an a65.

Me, grumpy??? Never.

And the foreground is distant enough, you would have seen basically the same amount of blur at f4, even 5.6.

@havoc315 switched to Nikon?? No lo creo (I don't believe it)

Though I have respect for mirrorless, it hasn't been quite there for how I like to shoot. Sony was very clearly abandoning their traditional lines, so I chose to switch to Nikon when a good offer came along for my a-mount gear. For the most part,I am very happy with the switch, but there are things I miss about Sony, including my 200/2.8 lens in fractal's possession.

If rumors about the a6100 are true....it sounds very impressive.

Your shots with that Nex 7 are always so crisp and the color look so rich, what lens are you using for most of these?

@Rgonzalez79 Thanks! most of the one's I've posted recently are with the Sony Zeiss 24mm 1.8. That lens renders colors beautifully.

I used to have the Sigma 19mm & 30mm 2.8 pair, then bought the SEL 35mm 1.8 to have something faster. As much as I liked the SEL 35mm 1.8 I felt like I needed a wider prime. I bought the Sony Zeiss 24mm 1.8 used for around $600 and sold the other 3 primes for close to the same. I never regret the decision, even though it doesn't have OSS. It's the best native prime for E-mount.

The statue (diver) was with @havoc315 's Minolta 200mm 2.8 which is another pro-level lens. Some of the other wider shots are with the SEL 10-18 f/4 I rented for that trip. There were many things I loved about that zoom and some things i didn't ( it didn't seem to handle highlights very well ). Right now I'm a bit torn about buying that lens or the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm 2.0 to compliment my Rokinon 8mm 2.8, which as you know is marvelously sharp.

After processing tens of thousands of RAW images on Lightroom I've created about a dozen presets that I'm pretty happy with. For the vast majority of time I can use one of those presets with little or no further adjustments. I thinks that's part of getting your "own look" or style but it comes with time. Heck, a few years from now my photos may look completely different.

One thing I've realized over the last couple years is how important lens quality is to your final image. I can instantly see the difference when I bring a RAW file into LR between an average lens and I good-great lens. The only problem is the great lenses cost a lot of money! However, if you buy them correctly and take care of them they will hold their value.

Last edited:
Stopping in to see the last few weeks of posts from other Sony shooters in here - nice stuff! Love the tigers - being through the trees makes it feel more 'secret' like you were creeping through the trees and came upon the scene. Also love the ship on the Savannah - I used to love that surreal feeling of big ships passing by on rivers from my years in New Orleans.

Haven't been many birding or wildlife posts, and since that's what I do most of the time, I figured I'd throw in some more of my latest birding shots with the A6000 & FE70-200mm lens combo:

Sky missile in my backyard - I was having fun over the weekend relaxing in my pool and practicing panning and shooting these unpredictable and superfast barn swallows as they jetted around over my backyard picking up bugs:
original.jpg

Lovely white ibis pulling a last-minute banking turn:
original.jpg

This black-bellied whistling duck was flying awfully close to me - he headed right in my direction as I panned with him and I had to pull back the zoom as he came at me so he didn't get clipped out of the frame:
original.jpg

Red-winged blackbird on a reed in the sun:
original.jpg

Red-shouldered hawk hiding in the deep shade of the pine and cypress forest, waiting for birds to come in out of the sun so he could ambush them:
original.jpg

OK - not birds, but adorably cute baby raccoon who were following mom through the wetlands when I caught their attention:
original.jpg

In Florida, especially this time of year, it rains almost every day - so you have to accept that sometimes, you'll be birding in the rain. Umbrella and a rain sleeve over the camera means you can sometimes catch interesting shots, like a grackle flying off while the rain comes down, spraying out from his wings:
original.jpg

A male least bittern all puffed up in anger - he had just chased off another male bittern who was getting a little too close to the female he was trying to woo:
original.jpg

Picked up one of those cheap CCTV lenses (think it was $20; 35mm 1.7) just to see if it would be fun to shoot with.

The pictures have a "dream" quality when it's wide open which I think would look great for some portraits (trying to bribe the munchkin to take a few more shots). The depth of field is really thin and the in focus area just falls right off into this foggy/misty blur that I kinda dig.

I like the lens and gives me a little respite from trying to shoot perfectly sharp images. Fun to play every now and then :)

CCTV Lens by raddie99, on Flickr

CCTV Lens II by raddie99, on Flickr

Stopping in to see the last few weeks of posts from other Sony shooters in here - nice stuff! Love the tigers - being through the trees makes it feel more 'secret' like you were creeping through the trees and came upon the scene. Also love the ship on the Savannah - I used to love that surreal feeling of big ships passing by on rivers from my years in New Orleans.

Haven't been many birding or wildlife posts, and since that's what I do most of the time, I figured I'd throw in some more of my latest birding shots with the A6000 & FE70-200mm lens combo:

Sky missile in my backyard - I was having fun over the weekend relaxing in my pool and practicing panning and shooting these unpredictable and superfast barn swallows as they jetted around over my backyard picking up bugs:
original.jpg

Lovely white ibis pulling a last-minute banking turn:
original.jpg

This black-bellied whistling duck was flying awfully close to me - he headed right in my direction as I panned with him and I had to pull back the zoom as he came at me so he didn't get clipped out of the frame:
original.jpg

Red-winged blackbird on a reed in the sun:
original.jpg

Red-shouldered hawk hiding in the deep shade of the pine and cypress forest, waiting for birds to come in out of the sun so he could ambush them:
original.jpg

OK - not birds, but adorably cute baby raccoon who were following mom through the wetlands when I caught their attention:
original.jpg

In Florida, especially this time of year, it rains almost every day - so you have to accept that sometimes, you'll be birding in the rain. Umbrella and a rain sleeve over the camera means you can sometimes catch interesting shots, like a grackle flying off while the rain comes down, spraying out from his wings:
original.jpg

A male least bittern all puffed up in anger - he had just chased off another male bittern who was getting a little too close to the female he was trying to woo:
original.jpg

How fast were you shooting to catch the barn swallow? I've tried a few times and those little buggers are so quick and unpredictable with their flying. Nice shots all the way through! Love the red shouldered Hawk shot, looks like a female looking over her shoulder in a playful way :)

How fast were you shooting to catch the barn swallow? I've tried a few times and those little buggers are so quick and unpredictable with their flying. Nice shots all the way through! Love the red shouldered Hawk shot, looks like a female looking over her shoulder in a playful way :)

Those barn swallows are crazy fast - always one of the biggest challenges for BIF shooting. I've seen some people who are lucky enough to have a place where they are landing or roosting, so they can essentially set up and prefocus knowing where they'll be as they land or take off, but no such luck for me - I always have to catch them in mid-air, mid-flight. In that case, I was shooting from my swimming pool, and these guys were buzzing over my house in the late afternoon. I set up my camera in Shutter Priority, 1/1000 shutter, AF-C, wide focus area, 6fps drive mode, and then just worked on trying to pick them up in the viewfinder as they appeared over my treeline or roof and pan with them firing shots before they crossed the other side of the yard and disappeared again behind the hedges. I probably got 20 usable shots out of about 300 shots taken...hit rate is very low on these guys. Either you miss entirely and get nothing but sky, or you couldn't keep them in focus and get a blur, or couldn't keep them in frame because they deked at the last minute and you get a partial wing or cut off head, or you actually get them but their head was turned around, eyes were closed, wings were moving too fast and were blurred, etc. To get them fully in the frame with any usable detail is quite the challenge!

A few others that were close or not terrible:
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

This one was a miss, a little too blurry - but one cool thing: look really close about a foot in front of the bird in the direction he's traveling, and you can see the blur of the bug that he's going after. They hit these bugs out of mid-air while shooting around at 35MPH!:
02834195EB4B41AFADF2F85CC09B144F.jpg

I agree with you on the CCTV lens - or old lenses in general. We sometimes obsess over absolute sharpness and perfection, but quite often the older lenses may have a little softness, or CA, or strange bokeh that makes shooting fun and can add some interest to otherwise average shots. I still enjoy manual lens shooting sometimes just for fun.

BTW - I like that street shot of the Wharehouse Bar, Fractal - nice atmosphere, good crisp night shot, and retains the night feel...makes the shot feel very lively.

Picked up one of those cheap CCTV lenses (think it was $20; 35mm 1.7) just to see if it would be fun to shoot with.

The pictures have a "dream" quality when it's wide open which I think would look great for some portraits (trying to bribe the munchkin to take a few more shots). The depth of field is really thin and the in focus area just falls right off into this foggy/misty blur that I kinda dig.

I like the lens and gives me a little respite from trying to shoot perfectly sharp images. Fun to play every now and then :)

CCTV Lens by raddie99, on Flickr

CCTV Lens II by raddie99, on Flickr

Nice shot of your daughter! I have an old Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4, an old Tamron 135mm 2.8 and a Soligor 200mm 2.8. They are fun to use and add a different character that you don't see with modern lenses. They also tend to flare more, have more CA and not as sharp. I also have a Focal Reducer for the Rokkor and Soligor which changes them into different lenses. I've found that works best in low light areas.

Here's mine for the day. I took this with the Minolta Rokkor 50mm + the focal reducer.

Here's mine for the day. I took this with the Minolta Rokkor 50mm + the focal reducer -

i-Gc6nG52-X2.jpg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter