photo sharing: self portraits

Yet another question for the amazing people on here from a young, aspiring photographer...
One of my summer assignments is three pieces for AP Studio Art class in the area you are emphasizing (2D - Photography for me). One of the topics for one of the three pieces is a self portrait. This is the only one that has caused me issues. I'm not a huge fan of photos of myself, especially when I have to take them (aka self portraits). I've been playing around with a few ideas, but nothing I love yet. I want something a unique. So this is sorta a two part question...
1) Any ideas? Or how do you define a self portrait?
2) Do you think either of these would fit in the topic of self portrait?
Day287-8-Northern17a.jpg
Day287-9-PathNorthern21a.jpg

...if so, which one do you like better?

Well I don't really know whether they would properly consider them self-portraits (though I would), but I really like the first one - not so keen on the second.

I would consider the pictures self portraits. I like them both. :) I like the second one best, because the road is in view and it signifies you are on a journey.

I'm not too much for taking pictures of myself either. In addition to regular shots, I like to take unusual pictures of my family and occasionally myself. I take shadow pictures of all of us. Pictures of the the kids facing away from the camera. I especially like to take pictures of our feet in the sand at different beaches we've visited.

ETA- I don't know how creative you can be with the assignment. You may want to ask the instructor, maybe e-mail? A self portrait can be a lot of things. I consider my avatar a sort of a self portrait. Maybe you could set up a display that says "me". Oh, I thought you had to have 3 self portraits. I misread. Sorry about that.

I would consider these a self portrait. Photography is personal interpretation after all. I like the second because you can see the road but I like the angle of your feet in the first one and that it's in color. Could you possibly do the second in a landscape version? What about throwing a pair of shades in the dash, possibly catching a reflection of you taking the pic?

You could go for the whole reflection in something shiny shot. I took this one at the GF gift shop.

IMGP0760.jpg

I think those pictures are self portraits. They are just not all of yourself.;)

I like getting the reflection shots too...

EPCOT
292780089_ZVBct-L.jpg

EPCOT
292781572_mTS9Y-L.jpg

Thanks everyone! I'm going to keep playing around, but I don't have much time left...11 days till school starts and these are due! :scared1: =)

I like the first one. I am a huge fan of self portraits. I have been them for a long time. My wife says I am a master of them :)

I really like the first one. I definitely think it is an appropriate submission!

i think the road really adds to the photo, both visual interest and emotional impact. i like the way the toes are kind of curled up, it really makes me think of a young person starting out in life, a little nervous but ready to go. and the oof background makes me feel like "who knows what the future holds".....but there is a lot of blank white sky that needs at least a little texture (imo) or cropped out since it's such a large part of the photo. i think you are on a good track with the second one. the first one is cute but a little over exposed and it just stops dead with the sign or truck or whatever that is blocking your view. just kind of emotionless to me.

I'm going to disagree and state that I would intrepret the assignment to mean that you need more than 1/8 of your body in the portrait (despite how well you did photograph your toes).

I'd clarify, or at least have a backup or two, the assignment with your instructor.

I think ukcatfan has the right idea: finding differing means to photograph your reflection.

Now, if you really do have an aversion to pictures of yourself, I'd suggest using murky water as your backdrop as you'd probably get a different reflection.

Or do a profile with a strong light source behind you so your face is in zone II or III and the background is in zone V-VII. This will hide facial detail but still give you the requisite "Portrait".

See Minor White "The Zone System" if you do nout understand what I am referring to - works for color too just remember all metering systems see 18% grey (zone V) and try and reproduce it

A zone is roughly equivalent to a increase or decrease of 1 F-Stop or Shutter Speed increment. i.e. zone V is normal exposure and you would need to meter the shadow area so that it is between 3-4 stops below normal exposure. All this assumes camera is under photographer control i.e. MANUAL

Bust a little something like this, clean up your reflection object better then I did.
use your camera strap, flash, and timer then pose away, pick the one you like best.

100_2547.jpg

Thanks everyone for the continued help! I'm soo indecisive on this type of thing and am used to having my photo friends sitting next to me as we make decisions on what to turn in. hahah. Of the two I posted, I like both for different reason but couldn't decide. I've got another road trip so I'm going to keep playing around with this concept as well as the reflection idea.
Frantasmic I really like the water idea! Thanks!
ford91exploder Yah I understand the basics of the zone system. Putting it use however is a different story. My teacher usually help us out in our "studio" at school. I'm hoping to gain more understanding of it to be able to use it without him and outside of our makeshift studio.
I think I may have found the one to use, even though its a little more...different yet traditional. Let me know thoughts on it as well. I did more post processing on it then both of the feet ones...
IMG_4926c.jpg

ps...this is based around a charity called To Write Love On Her Arms that deals with suicide, depression, and self mutilation prevention, awareness and education.

DH and I took a trip without the kiddos, so we got a bunch of "self portraits" this trip. Most of them came out pretty good. Here are a few I liked.

IMG_7416.jpg

IMG_7430.jpg

IMG_7488.jpg

IMG_7518.jpg

IMG_7566.jpg

Ooops, still zoomed in.
IMG_7973.jpg

Must have bumped the camera on this one. It is hard to stand on your head in a dress and try to keep your hair out of the sand...
IMG_7652.jpg

I wanna play! This is me, a couple summers ago, I was preggo with my son who is now 19m, but I didn't know it yet!
And...this is just a little 2.1 HP digital that I had to hold myself..lol, I don't have the fancy DSLR (yet!!)

ry%3D400

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter