Photo Sharing - Portraits

One of my absolute favorites from 2012. Classic and simple- which is just what I love in a portrait.

535661_10100683916422893_1156921882_n.jpg

Hey William, I don't know if I'm more jealous of your skills or your selection of models:-)

Hey William, I don't know if I'm more jealous of your skills or your selection of models:-)

Don't be too jealous. It's hard to get many of them to show up. I had a girl begging me to shoot and I do it for free. Lined up a makeup artist and a studio, paid out of my own pocket for everything.

She dropped off the face of the earth. Everything ready to go and she flaked out.

This is my 5 year old daughter Harmony a few months ago as we were shooting her Natural photos for an upcoming pageant. I fell in love with this image immediately after taking it.
Image2-11.jpg

Alice by wbeem, on Flickr

I went to Epcot yesterday with a friend. We both just received new 85mm lenses and wanted to try them out. I bought the Nikon 85mm f/1.4G and he got a slightly used Canon 85mm f/1.8 (for free!).

He wanted to do some character portraits, which was fine with me. I wanted to see what works and what doesn't work with this lens at f/1.4. Started off the day totally screwing up because I'd forgotten to turn off my auto-exposure bracketing from previous HDR shots. Felt damn silly once I figured out my screw-up, but I survived.

85mm is a bit too long for some of the grand gestures that characters make, given the room you have to work. I didn't want to waste time posing the character or treating this like a portrait shoot, since people behind me were waiting their turn. It was get in, get a couple of snaps, and get out.

The good news is that I really do love this lens. On the other hand, it has a longer minimum focusing distance than I would like for some close-ups on smaller subjects. The bokeh is just phenomenal. Just don't try shooting at f/1.4 in full sunlight.

It was a bit nippy in Orlando yesterday and all of the characters were dressed warmly. I asked "Alice" to remove her cloak, though, since I wanted the shot with the traditional dress.

Alice by wbeem, on Flickr

I went to Epcot yesterday with a friend. We both just received new 85mm lenses and wanted to try them out. I bought the Nikon 85mm f/1.4G and he got a slightly used Canon 85mm f/1.8 (for free!).

He wanted to do some character portraits, which was fine with me. I wanted to see what works and what doesn't work with this lens at f/1.4. Started off the day totally screwing up because I'd forgotten to turn off my auto-exposure bracketing from previous HDR shots. Felt damn silly once I figured out my screw-up, but I survived.

85mm is a bit too long for some of the grand gestures that characters make, given the room you have to work. I didn't want to waste time posing the character or treating this like a portrait shoot, since people behind me were waiting their turn. It was get in, get a couple of snaps, and get out.

The good news is that I really do love this lens. On the other hand, it has a longer minimum focusing distance than I would like for some close-ups on smaller subjects. The bokeh is just phenomenal. Just don't try shooting at f/1.4 in full sunlight.

It was a bit nippy in Orlando yesterday and all of the characters were dressed warmly. I asked "Alice" to remove her cloak, though, since I wanted the shot with the traditional dress.

How did ur buddy like is Canon 85mm? I love mine. It has been on my 7d since xmas! I think it's great. the 2 above pics of my kid was with it.

jimi

How did ur buddy like is Canon 85mm? I love mine. It has been on my 7d since xmas! I think it's great. the 2 above pics of my kid was with it.

jimi

I think he likes it. He had some fun playing with shallow DOF and bokeh on some shots. We're both getting used to our lenses, but I was pretty happy with the quality of his, at least by looking at the screen on his Canon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter