• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Photo Sharing: Pentax

Papa,

I toy with the idea of taking my Fairlane (66 GT - 390/4spd) down to the track, but then remember things break at the track... My wife has told me to take it to more cruise-ins this summer, so hopefully I can get some good pictures for the thread. Keep 'em coming...

Papa,

I toy with the idea of taking my Fairlane (66 GT - 390/4spd) down to the track, but then remember things break at the track... My wife has told me to take it to more cruise-ins this summer, so hopefully I can get some good pictures for the thread. Keep 'em coming...

The first thing I saw was the Fairlane! Those are my two loves, cars and airplanes! When you mentioned Oceana, it warmed my heart! I graduated high school in Virginia Beach. I love the picture of the F4 and two F86's. When we were stationed at NAS Atlanta (Dobbins AFB/Lockheed) there was a squadron of Air Force F86D's. The F4 is my favorite aircraft of all time. I spent many hours keeping it in the air!

FlyTriPacer, those are some great shots. You also have some beautiful toys!

Good morning, and thanks guys. Well, the Mustang 2 is long gone and replaced with a family plane (which reads not nearly as fun to fly). It's a 1956 Piper TriPacer, and it used to have only 1 empty seat when flying it. For the last couple of years there have been 3... I did pick up a single-place, open cockpit, biplane for $4k (only mention price so y'all can see that flying can be "inexpensively"). It's complete except for the engine. Still going through it since it hadn't flown in 10yrs when I got it. I'm looking forward to getting this back in the air.

Papa, the F-4 is my favorite jet. It just looks like a fighter should look...mean. Other than a good ways off shore at Myrtle Beach when I was growing up, that's the only time I've ever seen one fly. My 2nd favorite is the F-14 (saw them more during VA Beach trips). Anyway, y'all want pictures and not us talking airplanes.

Everybody have a great day!

Good news Pentax shooters! The new Sigma 18-35 f1.8 lens is going to be available in the K mount. Originally it was announced that it was only being released in the Canon, Nikon and Sony mounts. For Disney shooters, this looks to be a perfect combination of wide and fast for use on things like the dark rides. Right now, I use the Sigma 30 f1.4 for the dark rides. The MSRP of $799 isn't as bad as I and others anticipated ($1,000+).

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/06/14/Sigma-gives-price-and-availability-for-18-35mm-f1p8-DC-HSM

Here's a hodgepodge of pictures. There picture of the Bald Eagle was taken just north of the James River at about 900'. I saw him coming and this time I had the *ist DS in the seat beside me and I snapped a couple pictures. This is the best and has been cropped just to get "closer" to the Eagle.

9113100066_0fbabaccfd_c.jpg
[/url] Bald Eagle SE Varina Enon Bridge 2012_02_20 by ncsu94@verizon.net, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here's a picture of an airliner departing Richmond International in December while I was watching a meteor shower.

9113097032_97a1e4c61b_c.jpg
[/url] Departing Plane at Night by ncsu94@verizon.net, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here's a picture of the James River at sunset. It is above the Chickahominy River and looking WNW towards the Benjamin Harrison Bridge.

9113094560_facbe44b3c_c.jpg
[/url] James at Sunset by ncsu94@verizon.net, on Flickr[/IMG]

The following are from the Women Can Fly event held at the Hampton Roads Airport. I took one of the state planes down as a static display and got to talk flying all day with anybody who walked up to look at the plane. Quite a few people got to sit an a plane for their first time ever today! Great day!

Medivac Helicopter

9113073568_5d2b2e7645_c.jpg
[/url] IMGP0758 by ncsu94@verizon.net, on Flickr[/IMG]

Bonanza Giving Ride to Girls/Women

9110850933_ab2917c574_c.jpg
[/url] IMGP0784 by ncsu94@verizon.net, on Flickr[/IMG]

"SNJ" (T-6) on Rollout

9110852043_23a79d3288_c.jpg
[/url] IMGP0899 by ncsu94@verizon.net, on Flickr[/IMG]

T-6 off the RWY

9113074930_bac0945986_c.jpg
[/url] IMGP0905 by ncsu94@verizon.net, on Flickr[/IMG]

Orange 172 Returning from Flight (windsock too)

9113077536_9123f346f8_c.jpg
[/url] IMGP0984 by ncsu94@verizon.net, on Flickr[/IMG]

Lancair

9110855733_4934b8852f_c.jpg
[/url] IMGP1008 by ncsu94@verizon.net, on Flickr[/IMG]

RV-6 Taxi Back

9113080700_80b5db8332_c.jpg
[/url] IMGP1046 by ncsu94@verizon.net, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hi there, your pictures are all amazing! I have been using my K-X for several years, I just took a short photography class and am learning more about it but am I nowhere near what you all can do! My camera came with an 18-55 lens and I would really like to get something that can zoom more. I read through this whole thread trying to see what you all mentioned. Can anyone offer advice on a novice zoom lens? I don't want it to cost too much, I just take pictures of my family and don't do much with them other than putting them in scrapbooks. We tried an old Pentax film camera zoom lens and we couldn't really get it to work, it was from an old camera. I definitely want to make sure that what I buy will work with my camera and with the built in flash and all of that. If anyone can share anything I would be greatful! It sounds like there are other brands besides Pentax that work with them from what I have read. Thanks in advance!!

Hi there, your pictures are all amazing! I have been using my K-X for several years, I just took a short photography class and am learning more about it but am I nowhere near what you all can do! My camera came with an 18-55 lens and I would really like to get something that can zoom more. I read through this whole thread trying to see what you all mentioned. Can anyone offer advice on a novice zoom lens? I don't want it to cost too much, I just take pictures of my family and don't do much with them other than putting them in scrapbooks. We tried an old Pentax film camera zoom lens and we couldn't really get it to work, it was from an old camera. I definitely want to make sure that what I buy will work with my camera and with the built in flash and all of that. If anyone can share anything I would be greatful! It sounds like there are other brands besides Pentax that work with them from what I have read. Thanks in advance!!

I would recommend two lenses, depending on how much you want to spend.
There is the Pentax 50-200 and the 55-300. I have never used the 55-300, however I have been told it is slightly superior optically to the 50-200. My DW owns the 50-200 and I have used it extensively. When I want to go light, it is one of my favorite lenses. I don't know if I just have a good copy, but I am extremely pleased with that lens. There are several iterations of that lens. For your camera, I would recommend the DA version, not the DA-L version nor the WR version, unless in the future you will be upgrading to a weather proofed camera body. The DA-L version does not come with a hood nor AF quick change. The WR version is the weather resistant version and is more expensive, but since your Kx is not weather resistant there is no need for that option. The 50-200 is 3 1/4 inches closed, 5 inches extended and very light. If you can't tell, I am a fan of the 50-200. KEH.com is selling that lens in LN- condition for $99 with hood and caps. That's a steal. The new WR version is selling for $247 and the 55-300 is $397.Here are a few taken by the DW with the 50-200 on a K10D.

IMGP2615 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

IMGP2594 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

IMGP2592 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

I would recommend two lenses, depending on how much you want to spend.
There is the Pentax 50-200 and the 55-300. I have never used the 55-300, however I have been told it is slightly superior optically to the 50-200. My DW owns the 50-200 and I have used it extensively. When I want to go light, it is one of my favorite lenses. I don't know if I just have a good copy, but I am extremely pleased that lens. There are several iterations of that lens. For your camera, I would recommend the DA version, not the DA-L version nor the WR version, unless in the future you will be upgrading to a weather proofed camera body. The DA-L version does not come with a hood nor AF quick change. The WR version is the weather resistant version and is more expensive, but since your Kx is not weather resistant there is no need for that option. The 50-200 is 3 1/4 inches closed, 5 inches extended and very light. If you can't tell, I am a fan of the 50-200. KEH.com is selling that lens in LN- condition for $99 with hood and caps. That's a steal. The new WR version is selling for $247 and the 55-300 is $397.Here are a few taken by the DW with the 50-200 on a K10D.]

Thank you so much! I was hoping to be able to find something around $100, and I so appreciate you even finding a deal for me! I will check it out, thanks again! I just feel so overwhelmed by all of the terminology! :)

Thank you so much! I was hoping to be able to find something around $100, and I so appreciate you even finding a deal for me! I will check it out, thanks again! I just feel so overwhelmed by all of the terminology! :)

No problem. Here are a few Disney related images taken with the 50-200.

B & B 1 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

Belle and the Prince by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

B & B The Kiss by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

These were taken in front of the house. The Rose of Sharron and Bumble Bee pictures were taken about 45mins ago.
I really like the flower shots. Nice job. I wish I had more time for that type of photography. During race season, I have so little time for anything other than shooting cars. Tomorrow starts four days of shooting our NHRA National event at Route 66 Raceway.

Papa,

Thanks for the complements. I've got a picture I took with only the plane in focus and yellow flowers in the foreground. I'll find it and post it soon.

I'm hoping to get the Fairlane down to a cruise-in or two and shoot some cars next month. Also, I'm about 2 miles from the Richmond Dragway, but have never been (afraid I might do something stupid). Lord willing, we'll be watching my boy graduate from CAP Encampment Sunday...hopefully I'll get some good pictures as they pass in review. If so, they end up here. Hopefully I won't get the opportunity to try the K20D's weather resistance, but it' been a wet year around here.

Enjoying your pictures.

Chad

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter