Photo editing Contest 5/5/08 to 5/18/08

Master Mason

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
This weeks Chalange is to use filters on a picture. You may use the picture below or one of your choosing. If you post your own you must post a before and after. You can do anything you wish to do to the picture so long as it includes the use of filters.

To make this as useful as possible for everyone, if you could also share what you did that would be great, but it is not a requirement.

259095034_AKZPU-XL-1.jpg

http://gregghall.smugmug.com/photos/259095034_AKZPU-O-1.jpg

This weeks Chalange is to use filters on a picture. You may use the picture below or one of your choosing. If you post your own you must post a before and after. You can do anything you wish to do to the picture so long as it includes the use of filters.

To make this as useful as possible for everyone, if you could also share what you did that would be great, but it is not a requirement.

259095034_AKZPU-XL-1.jpg

http://gregghall.smugmug.com/photos/259095034_AKZPU-O-1.jpg

Anyone or should we just let this idea go?

I'll give it a go.

Lightened up photo a bit using Shadow/Highlight
Sharpened using High Pass filter
Applied LucisArt filter
Straightened and cropped for final result

castle3.jpg

Emmabelle! Get down from there!

castlephotoeditcontest2.jpg

Added a vibrant foilage filter, a crop and a cat!

Here are 2 different pictures that I did with the same photo. Both were edited with Adobe Photoshop Express.

eeadc1e9a0314bb6a9248409bfa809d8

3f62521e55444cbba2c61ac6813c74d0

castlesnowglobe.jpg

Filters/Effects used:

Saturate 10%
More Contrast
Vignette
Sphere
Add Noise
Lighting
Zoom Blur

WOW!! I don't know that I even want to post my meager attempt after that!!!:thumbsup2

259095034_AKZPU-XL-1_edited-1.jpg

I ran a defog action 2x, two color-ride actions, and a Paint daub filter at the end. I also cloned out the bare tree to the right and gave what was left of it some leaves.

Thanks Gregg for bringing this back!
:)

After looking at my attempt again, I feel like the whites are way blown out. How do you keep a cloudy sky from doing that, while brightening the rest of the photo?:confused3

I used the filter 'cutout' and then masked areas

castle.jpg

Use a mask

Forgive this stupid question, but what's the difference between a filter and a mask - and are they both considered layers? I've been tring to decipher some things with the PSE4 book I have, but the terminology gets me going in circles !:confused:

Forgive this stupid question, but what's the difference between a filter and a mask - and are they both considered layers? I've been tring to decipher some things with the PSE4 book I have, but the terminology gets me going in circles !:confused:

A filter will do something to alter the look of the picture. A mask is used to section off parts of the picture that certain things will be applied to.

So for example on selective coloring, you overlay a BW layer, and then mask away the section that you wish to still have color.

I am sure it is way more complicated than that, but I am a rank novice myself.

After looking at my attempt again, I feel like the whites are way blown out. How do you keep a cloudy sky from doing that, while brightening the rest of the photo?:confused3

You could mask out the layer but that would not help you if you wanted to apply a filter to the whole photo. The photo is (at the risk of offending someone I am sorry but just being honest) a bad photo. the colors are over saturated and the sky is a bit blown out in some areas because of this. It also looks like it was over sharpened with a high-pass filter.

The easiest way to deal with the sky (I also had trouble with it and it looks like others did too). Is to use the Burn tool. You use it like a brush and run it over the clouds. It will dull some of that harsh white areas. You will also get back some of the definition in the cloud pattern.

Another thing you can do that is easy is add a layer to the top>add a gradient black to transparent and change the blend mode to multiply. It will act as a neutral density filter. The black should run from the top edge and go to transparent at the horizon.
give it try, there is no right or wrong way to change the photo.
One more thing, clone out the ugly cable before working with the sky, it will be easier if you do that first.

You could mask out the layer but that would not help you if you wanted to apply a filter to the whole photo. The photo is (at the risk of offending someone I am sorry but just being honest) a bad photo. the colors are over saturated and the sky is a bit blown out in some areas because of this. It also looks like it was over sharpened with a high-pass filter.

The easiest way to deal with the sky (I also had trouble with it and it looks like others did too). Is to use the Burn tool. You use it like a brush and run it over the clouds. It will dull some of that harsh white areas. You will also get back some of the definition in the cloud pattern.

Another thing you can do that is easy is add a layer to the top>add a gradient black to transparent and change the blend mode to multiply. It will act as a neutral density filter. The black should run from the top edge and go to transparent at the horizon.
give it try, there is no right or wrong way to change the photo.
One more thing, clone out the ugly cable before working with the sky, it will be easier if you do that first.

I took the photo, I'm not offended, but I didn't do any shapening what so ever on it. When I am picking photos, I try to find something generic in my album, that allows people to play with it, they are certainly not photos that I am holding up and saying hey, look at what a great shot I took.

Thanks Spectro and Master Mason for the tips. I picked up a book yesterday at borders called "Teach Yourself Visually Photoshop Elements 4". I plan to spend a week or more working thru each chapter of the book (week/chapter! not week/book!) It's seems to be well done with lots of graphics, which help me so much! I think with editing, the more you do the better you get. It also helps to learn what works with what type of photo/exposure issue, etc. With 3 kids (11,9, and 4) time is a bit of a premium, when I'd like to sit and work for any length of it! Again thank you both for all your help and encouragement to those of us who are still learning the ropes! And Greg thank you for hosting this challenge! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter